Low Cost PCB's Low Cost Components

Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 304985 times)

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #1200 on: February 15, 2017, 02:45:47 AM »
And here is one of my recent purchases ;). Seller said the Display was not working, didnt have time to Slovakize it yet (230V bridge is INSIDE the unit). Also, I will likely throw the D1 to storage and do something else...but that is for a rainy day.

( taken from my Instagram, at https://www.instagram.com/tam.hanna/ )
Feel like some additional tamile wisdom? Visit my YouTube channel -> http://www.youtube.com/user/MrTamhan for 10min tid-bits!

Offline elecdonia

• Contributor
« Reply #1201 on: February 15, 2017, 04:12:10 AM »
Wow!  A real curve tracer!  Wish I had one!   What is maximum collector current and voltage?  The jacks for connecting the DUT look pretty big and serious.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1202 on: February 15, 2017, 04:38:27 AM »
I got myself a Lecroy LC584AL (1GHz, 2Gs/s 1Mpts) scope from the broken test equipment asylum called Ebay. According to the seller it doesn't show a picture so it was cheap after making an offer. The display not working is not a problem because I'd replace the CRT with a
The front PCMCIA slot on this scope will only work with a battery replaceable type SRAM card (max capacity 4MB). Unfortunately CF cards of any type will not work. Now if you are lucky the scope has the HD01 option installed in the back of the instrument which will accept PCMCIA ATA up to 512MB flash cards or a SDCard with a PCMCIA adapter.
That doesn't sound promising! I just have to wait and see what I get since I have not seen a picture of the rear.
Typical problems:

There is a thermal cutout switch in the power supply that is known to be an issue.

The power connectors that plug into the Main Acquisition PCB overheat

The usual bad capacitors in the PS. Replace with good quality Low ESR Nichicon, United Chemicon or Equiv. Watch out for the one that is on the printer board. Something like 3000uF. It's across the 5V supply (a blue Philips part) and if shorted the power supply will not power up. Replace it even if it looks good. I have seen many of them fail.

There is also a circuit in these scopes that had the design intent of automatically switching from 120/240. That circuit is problematic. There is a service note on this that can be found in the files section of the Yahoo! LeCroy_Owners_Group on Yahoo! Groups (please join).

Manuals and PS schematics can either be found there or in the LeCroy Manuals section at www.ko4bb.com/getsimple

Watch out for conductive dust!
These are usefull tips. I was already aware of the power supply voltage range issue so I'll look into the power supply before powering the scope up. I'm in 230V territory and the scope comes from the US so if it is hardwired it will be wrong for me. Unfortunately it wouldn't be the first time I got bitten by that  :'(
I hope you get the scope in good condition and have great success with it. Also conversion to an LCD may not be too hard if you can find one that fits as the interface to the internal Sony monitor is achieved with a standard internal VGA DB style connector.
Aha. Actually I'm hoping the scope has a connector for a TFT panel on the CPU board which has some useful signals on it. I went through schematics in the LC574 service manual and in there is shows a connector for a TFT screen. I rather do a direct-digital connection instead of going through an extra A/D converter board. Also the mechanical part will take some work in order to make the bezel flat.

BTW: is there a file for the option GAL available? I have GALs (somewhere) and I have a programmer so all I'd need is the right file.

Anyway many thanks for your tips & tricks. It is highly appreciated  :-+ This will be my first Lecroy DSO. I'll open a new topic in the test equipment section once I get going with this scope.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1203 on: February 17, 2017, 11:20:24 AM »
GWInstek GPD-3303S  programmable power supply for $129+$22 shipping..

Thanks to the ITT auctions , there's a ton of these on eBay and prices have come down. Most are going for between $140 and $160 shipped.

Got this one from an individual selling only one - so not sure if it's from the ITT auction but I like that the cosmetic condition is known versus some of those sold by sellers with multiple units.

Nice thing about this versus most modern PSUs is that the service manual, complete with schematics, is available online.

Did I need another PSU?  Of course not!  But none of my vintage HP and PD supplies are programmable -  so there's that... ::)

Now, off to TEA to confess my sins.

Online Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1204 on: February 17, 2017, 01:50:37 PM »
Tamhan
Like your curve tracer!
HP 3561A, Tektronix 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tektronix 575, Tektronix 7854,  HP3457A, Tektronix 576, Datron 4000A, Fluke 181 Nanovoltmeter, Dos4Ever uTracer.

Offline sorenkir

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1205 on: February 17, 2017, 06:58:38 PM »
@mtdoc:
you are right, really tons of them: http://www.ebay.com/itm/132053507425  :)
Michel.

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1206 on: February 18, 2017, 12:22:27 AM »
Tamhan
Like your curve tracer!

They can be quite useful.  Unlike the 576 the crt is easily replaceable since the D1 and D2 displays were used in some of the 5000 series scopes.  Swapping to storage shouldn't be a big deal.

I've been told the 577 had a larger screen, but that may have been special order.  My 577 screen is the same size as the 5000 series scopes I picked up for parts

Offline vtp

• Contributor
« Reply #1207 on: February 18, 2017, 03:56:20 AM »
They can be quite useful.  Unlike the 576 the crt is easily replaceable since the D1 and D2 displays were used in some of the 5000 series scopes.  Swapping to storage shouldn't be a big deal.

I've been told the 577 had a larger screen, but that may have been special order.  My 577 screen is the same size as the 5000 series scopes I picked up for parts

Being useful is understatement of the year. Out of the several hundred HP and Tek boxes the 577 is probably the most useful I have. D1 storage tube is also one of the best features of this instrument, it is very useful in plotting power device curves in pulsed mode and sweeping the traces on to the screen with collector supply knob. Anyone thinking of ditching the storage must be braindead :) .

The larger screen you refer to is likely option 25 which provides 12 x 10 grid. Highly desirable feature but be aware that calibration instructions are written for 10x8 grid so they can be confusing.

On the subject, I got TLA7012 for free, 7AA4 for $60, 7BB4 for $50, 4 x P6860 (new) for $50 each. And recently a 8563E in immaculate and very well working condition for $300.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 04:01:48 AM by vtp »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #1208 on: February 18, 2017, 05:22:54 AM »
On the subject, I got TLA7012 for free, 7AA4 for $60, 7BB4 for $50, 4 x P6860 (new) for $50 each. And recently a 8563E in immaculate and very well working condition for $300.

Woah. You are a master of scores.
Some people love tea. Here, TEA is even better!

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1209 on: February 18, 2017, 05:26:40 AM »
On the subject, I got TLA7012 for free, 7AA4 for $60, 7BB4 for $50, 4 x P6860 (new) for $50 each.
That is very nice! I'm looking for a 7BB4 module myself but no luck so far.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1210 on: February 18, 2017, 08:29:02 AM »
I snagged a nice condition HP 1660C logic analyzer locally for $25, of course I'll spend several times that on probes but it's still a tiny fraction of what it cost new. It's a fairly old instrument but the classic arcade boards I'm working on are even older and with 136 channels I can watch a lot more at once than the 8 bit analyzer in my Bitscope. It's not something I'm likely to use a whole lot but it's such a cool looking piece of gear, seemed like a fun toy to have.

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ

Offline elecdonia

• Contributor
« Reply #1211 on: February 19, 2017, 05:42:30 AM »
Has anyone seen something like this US military decade resistance box? 
I've had this for so long that I can't remember where I got it.

Recently I acquired an HP3456A multimeter (6.5 digits) so I decided to measure the resistance of every resistor in this box.  Every value was pretty close!

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1212 on: February 19, 2017, 06:48:06 AM »
I got myself a Lecroy LC584AL (1GHz, 2Gs/s 1Mpts) scope from the broken test equipment asylum called Ebay. According to the seller it doesn't show a picture so it was cheap after making an offer. The display not working is not a problem because I'd replace the CRT with a TFT screen anyway. One of the reasons I got this old scope is that I want to sell my other (more expensive) Agilent scope but didn't want to be left without the 1GHz ability, some other features and last but not least: a second working scope. Unlike many scopes before the USB era the LC584 has a PCMCIA slot which should be able to hold a PCMCIA to compact flash adapter with a compact flash card. The compact flash card is equally usefull as a USB stick so file transfer between my PC and the scope should be painless.
This is the picture from the Ebay listing:

If my wife doesn't kill me when this thing arrives I'll take some pictures of the inside and (if the scope works) the TFT conversion.

Why replace the CRT? It looks like a nice clean tube with little or no burn. It's nice and original, a TFT won't save you any space since there will just be an empty cavity in the instrument. If you weren't on the other side of the world I'd buy the tube and yoke from you, nobody is making CRTs anymore and supplies are dwindling fast.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1213 on: February 19, 2017, 09:32:32 AM »
I got myself a Lecroy LC584AL (1GHz, 2Gs/s 1Mpts) scope from the broken test equipment asylum called Ebay. According to the seller it doesn't show a picture so it was cheap after making an offer. The display not working is not a problem because I'd replace the CRT with a TFT screen anyway. One of the reasons I got this old scope is that I want to sell my other (more expensive) Agilent scope but didn't want to be left without the 1GHz ability, some other features and last but not least: a second working scope. Unlike many scopes before the USB era the LC584 has a PCMCIA slot which should be able to hold a PCMCIA to compact flash adapter with a compact flash card. The compact flash card is equally usefull as a USB stick so file transfer between my PC and the scope should be painless.
This is the picture from the Ebay listing:

If my wife doesn't kill me when this thing arrives I'll take some pictures of the inside and (if the scope works) the TFT conversion.
Why replace the CRT? It looks like a nice clean tube with little or no burn. It's nice and original, a TFT won't save you any space since there will just be an empty cavity in the instrument. If you weren't on the other side of the world I'd buy the tube and yoke from you, nobody is making CRTs anymore and supplies are dwindling fast.
A man needs to have an odd hobby  :P Mine is getting rid of CRT and (D)STN LCD screens and replacing them with TFT screens. Ofcourse I'll try and see if I can bring the CRT back to life with a quick fix. Either broken or working it will go onto Ebay to recoup some money.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1214 on: February 19, 2017, 01:21:41 PM »
Fair enough. I've just seen too many people rip out perfectly good CRTs and throw them in the trash. I really like CRTs, they have a nice look, much better contrast and viewing angle than most LCDs and the HV/evacuated glass aspect has appeal. I'm in the minority for sure though.

Offline skylinrcr01

• Contributor
« Reply #1215 on: February 19, 2017, 02:33:28 PM »
Work gave me a fluke 85 with a busted display for free, just needed new elastomers for the LCD.  ;D

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1216 on: February 19, 2017, 02:45:43 PM »
Has anyone seen something like this US military decade resistance box? 
I've had this for so long that I can't remember where I got it.

Recently I acquired an HP3456A multimeter (6.5 digits) so I decided to measure the resistance of every resistor in this box.  Every value was pretty close!
Nice decade resistor.
Upon first glance I was thinking it was a Shallcross decade. Seeing the nameplate gives the maker, Tech Labs. I didn't know that they built decade resistor boxes. I know they made switches.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me.

The following users thanked this post: elecdonia

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1217 on: February 19, 2017, 04:41:19 PM »
Work gave me a fluke 85 with a busted display for free, just needed new elastomers for the LCD.  ;D
A while back a member got a heap of these from a manufacturer, I can't remember who but a search might find  the posts. IIRC ~2 years back.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist & NZ Siglent Distributor

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1218 on: February 19, 2017, 05:54:40 PM »
A while back a member got a heap of these from a manufacturer, I can't remember who but a search might find  the posts. IIRC ~2 1 year back.
For skylinrcr01, some links:
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/old-fluke-multimeters/msg381305/#msg381305
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/elastomer-strips-for-tektronix-la-probes/
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/fluke-87-display-repair/
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/lcd-displays/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist & NZ Siglent Distributor

The following users thanked this post: skylinrcr01

Offline lmester

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #1219 on: February 19, 2017, 07:02:23 PM »
An Instek GSP-810 spectrum analyzer.

Very likely from the ITT bankruptcy. Seems to be working OK. I put in a clean 10MHz sine and got a reasonable looking output. Cosmetic condition is good. A little yellowing of the plastic. I'm happy and sad at the same time about this. I'm happy to be getting cheap used test instruments. I'm sad because a large number of instructors and staff lost their jobs when ITT died. Even worse, I'm sure that some students got part way through an ITT degree and now have nothing but a student loan bill to pay.

Anyway, here are a few pictures of my GSP-810.

Offline lmester

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #1220 on: February 19, 2017, 08:11:16 PM »
A GPC-3020 power aupply.

This showed up on EBay as a damaged but functional item. For $40 total including shipping I couldn't resist. I was able to recalibrate everything except for one of the voltmeters. The zero adjust screw won't bring the needle down to the zero position. It's about 1V high. Possibly the big smash that cracked the case also messed up the meter movement.

I might just give this power supply a meter upgrade. For $20 I can replace the analog meters with cheap Chinese digital meters. It would be an easy upgrade since the power transformer has two extra outputs to provide isolated supplies for the ammeters. This power supply had an option for digital meters. It looks like they used the same transformer for both models. I'll have to think about this. It's functional now. It only cost me $40. Add another $20 for digital meters??? Maybe just put a note by the bad meter to remind me that it reads 1V high...

This instrument is a really old design with generic components. The only IC's that I saw were 741 op amps! Other than the custom transformer, I'd have no problems finding replacement parts. Even after an hour long full load test, the transformer was only warm. Instek also produced a 3A version of this power supply. They may have used the same transformer for the 2A and 3A version. If that's the case, the transformer in my my 2A version should last forever. Besides, how often do you run your power supply at full load?

Finally, the last time I was on Ebay there were still a few of these damaged power supplies for sale for $40. You might want to get one before they're gone.

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1221 on: February 19, 2017, 09:06:58 PM »
Well, I dont dislike CRTs in general, first of all. But they, sadly, are no longer being made - so to keep instruments alive, one will need to go LCD one day. Also, less weight, less heat dissipation and stuff ;)
Feel like some additional tamile wisdom? Visit my YouTube channel -> http://www.youtube.com/user/MrTamhan for 10min tid-bits!

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #1222 on: February 20, 2017, 12:33:57 AM »
Good deal on both the power supply and the spectrum analyzer.
Sue AF6LJ
Test Equipment Addict, And Proud Of It.

Offline skylinrcr01

• Contributor
« Reply #1223 on: February 20, 2017, 05:09:21 AM »
A while back a member got a heap of these from a manufacturer, I can't remember who but a search might find  the posts. IIRC ~2 1 year back.
For skylinrcr01, some links:
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/old-fluke-multimeters/msg381305/#msg381305
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/elastomer-strips-for-tektronix-la-probes/
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/fluke-87-display-repair/
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/lcd-displays/

Those are some  good links, much appreciated!

Offline JenniferG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1224 on: February 27, 2017, 03:08:21 PM »
Was looking for some little 3.3v voltage regulators and on ebay the cheapest price was $2.82 plus $2.00 shipping.  It had a Make Offer button.  Never clicked it before but I will from now on!  I offered $2 instead of $2.82 and they agreed to it.   From now on I am going to ask for 30% or so less on every one that has a Make Offer button .. despite them being the lowest price overall on ebay :)
Test Equip:  Instek 8251a w/ Probemaster 8028S, Commercial Electric MAD830B, Tektronix 2225
Power Supplies: HP 6236B, GPD-3303S (w/o overshoot problem)
Soldering Station:  Hakko 926, Backup: Velleman VTSS5

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf