Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 782617 times)

gcwills and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #2025 on: June 05, 2018, 12:38:13 pm »
Just acquired this from a friend in non working condition.
The +5V supply was repaired and in the process I managed to break the +40V supply.
Fixed. and all appears to be working.
Just a basic HP-8901A modulation analyzer.

No you don't get top see the repair. No smoke got let out, however I don't consider a transistor bodged to the back of a PCB to be up to my standard of quality.
But Hey!
The SOB works!
Sue AF6LJ

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #2026 on: June 05, 2018, 07:15:28 pm »
Saved this stuff from beeing scrapped:

An ENI 13.56MHz / 300W RF generator, was probably used for some kind of plasma stuff,
Prema 2080 Scanners,
Some guts of another ENI 25kHz to 125kHz / 800W plasma generation power supply that someone else decided to take apart before. The controller board, containing some interesting ICs like the MPY634, the impedance matching output transformer and the driver amplifier stage.

The scanners appear to work, I haven't tested the RF generator yet, I don't have a suitable dummy load / attenuator. If it works, maybe one can build a plasma speaker driver from it? I've got little use for a 13.56 MHz CW source alone.

Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #2027 on: June 06, 2018, 10:09:06 am »
A free 7603 non working mainframe.
A few hours of time found 3 dead electros (short)  had taken out two rectifiers and a PCB trace (hiding above the transformer). I had to buy the parts and the plug-ins. Those big electros aren't cheap.
She lives!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2028 on: June 06, 2018, 10:33:18 am »
A few hours of time found 3 dead electros (short)  had taken out two rectifiers and a PCB trace (hiding above the transformer). I had to buy the parts and the plug-ins. Those big electros aren't cheap.
She lives!
Hell that looks tidy, congrats on your score.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: VK5RC

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #2029 on: June 06, 2018, 12:04:46 pm »
Lots of good stuff, our members have scored lately.
:)

I have acquired more, we will roll it out as time permits, and gaps in current project's progress will allow.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2030 on: June 06, 2018, 02:28:08 pm »
Saved this stuff from beeing scrapped:

An ENI 13.56MHz / 300W RF generator, was probably used for some kind of plasma stuff,
Prema 2080 Scanners,
Some guts of another ENI 25kHz to 125kHz / 800W plasma generation power supply that someone else decided to take apart before. The controller board, containing some interesting ICs like the MPY634, the impedance matching output transformer and the driver amplifier stage.

The scanners appear to work, I haven't tested the RF generator yet, I don't have a suitable dummy load / attenuator. If it works, maybe one can build a plasma speaker driver from it? I've got little use for a 13.56 MHz CW source alone.

You could power 6 Metcal/Thermaltronics soldering irons from the generator  :-//

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2031 on: June 06, 2018, 03:49:52 pm »
You could power 6 Metcal/Thermaltronics soldering irons from the generator  :-//
Yes, but this would require an appropriate power splitter.

Anyway, I've got three of the low frequency Metcal (MFR single tool) supplies sitting in my pile of stuff, they came from the same scrapyard, but neither irons nor stands ???

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2032 on: June 06, 2018, 04:39:04 pm »
She lives!

Looks great, Rob! Another one saved from the brink of destruction.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #2033 on: June 19, 2018, 12:58:51 am »
HP 5340A - Nixie Version Option 003

$70USD + frt Score or just another millstone not sure yet. Internal oscillator works, Nixies light up :-+ Inputs non responsive  :--

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2034 on: June 19, 2018, 03:29:57 am »
Hopefully a good cleaning and re-seating the cards may be all it needs (unconnected input looks grungy to me).  ;)

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #2035 on: June 19, 2018, 07:05:08 am »
Don't be terribly surprised if it turns out to be the big hybrid at the upper right corner of the fourth crosswise board from the rear in your second photo.  In my (admittedly limited) experience, that seems to be a weak spot in these counters.  :-\

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #2036 on: June 19, 2018, 07:50:56 am »
Worst case with fault finding I could threaten to Clockise it's Nixies  >:D

This is mainly for fun as I don't do any RF stuff and the 5326A is working nicely. #becausenixie
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2037 on: June 19, 2018, 06:05:19 pm »
I could threaten to Clockise it's Nixies  >:D

Woah! :o

Offline Haatveit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2038 on: June 19, 2018, 06:33:30 pm »
Does it count as a score if the price is 4 digits? Well, it's a score for me... Or the seller. I'm not quite sure.

54642D with brand new accessories included. I think I may need to head over to the TEA thread sometime soon, I've got my hands on 4 new (old!) pieces of equipment in the last 30 days  :-[

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2039 on: June 19, 2018, 06:42:30 pm »
Nice one, i always liked the MegaZoom ASIC scopes. Its digital yet still feels so analog with its nice speed, responsiveness and intensity gradation.

So what are the other 3 pieces of gear?

Offline Haatveit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2040 on: June 19, 2018, 08:16:22 pm »
Nice one, i always liked the MegaZoom ASIC scopes. Its digital yet still feels so analog with its nice speed, responsiveness and intensity gradation.

So what are the other 3 pieces of gear?

I already have a 54600B (older, no zoomies) and I love the interface and measurement functions of this era of HP scopes. So, one of the reasons I went for the 54642D was the familiarity and love for the interface. And I've heard so many good things about it "analogue-ness" that it seemed the obvious pick! The 16ch digital was the killer feature for me however. No decoding, but that's OK. I'll get a USB logic analyzer for that eventually, if I need it.

As for the other gear.... Well, I picked up a "not working" LeCroy WaveJet 314, according to the seller it failed a self-cal on Ch 3, but appeared to work perfectly well regardless. Going to fix it, and if I don't love it, I'll re-sell it (most likely). Could be nice to have a 4ch beater scope. Shipping cost more than the scope. Go figure.
Then I picked up a vintage HP 6825A Bipolar supply / amp, I made a restoration thread in the Repair forum for that one.
Aaaand I'm waiting for a Racal-Dana 1992 to arrive...

And I might have gotten a GPSDO, still in transit.

help.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 08:18:36 pm by Haatveit »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2041 on: June 19, 2018, 09:15:56 pm »
Cool stuff, Haatveit. You're welcome at the TEA house anytime. ;D

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2042 on: June 21, 2018, 03:06:22 pm »
Got that neat guy from a colleague, saying "Better you take it before I'm gonna dispose it"

It's in pretty good nick, and working.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 03:08:26 pm by capt bullshot »

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #2043 on: June 21, 2018, 05:18:26 pm »
This week saw 2 new additions to my bench. Purchased a Maynuo 9812 DC load and a Siglent SPD3303X-E both from eBay. Got one of those 20% off up to $100 coupons so finally snagged a load. Ended up paying $380 shipped which seems pretty damned decent. Decided I wanted another repair project so was looking through the "as is/for parts" listings and spotted the Siglent listed at $168.18 and immediately made an offer. I accepted their counter-offer. After thinking a bit about the description I wondered if it might be a matter of the wrong input voltage being selected. Went back had another look at the pics and sure enough, the switches were set for 220. It arrived today. I switched it to 120 and whaddaya know, absolutely nothing wrong with it. Thing is brand freakin new in original box and I got to be the lucky fella to power it up for the first time for $139.40 shipped. Didn't really need another power supply and I'm a bit disappointed to be robbed of yet another repair, but for the price I can't help being pleased  :)   

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #2044 on: June 21, 2018, 07:11:07 pm »
This week saw 2 new additions to my bench. Purchased a Maynuo 9812 DC load and a Siglent SPD3303X-E both from eBay. Got one of those 20% off up to $100 coupons so finally snagged a load. Ended up paying $380 shipped which seems pretty damned decent. Decided I wanted another repair project so was looking through the "as is/for parts" listings and spotted the Siglent listed at $168.18 and immediately made an offer. I accepted their counter-offer. After thinking a bit about the description I wondered if it might be a matter of the wrong input voltage being selected. Went back had another look at the pics and sure enough, the switches were set for 220. It arrived today. I switched it to 120 and whaddaya know, absolutely nothing wrong with it. Thing is brand freakin new in original box and I got to be the lucky fella to power it up for the first time for $139.40 shipped. Didn't really need another power supply and I'm a bit disappointed to be robbed of yet another repair, but for the price I can't help being pleased  :)

|O  ARRRRGGGG!! I was looking at that very supply figuring it might be an easy repair!  I lingered for a little too long and, poof, it was gone!  Congrats, you lucky !@#/*  :-+ 

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2045 on: June 21, 2018, 09:12:36 pm »
Does it count as a score if the price is 4 digits? Well, it's a score for me... Or the seller. I'm not quite sure.

54642D with brand new accessories included. I think I may need to head over to the TEA thread sometime soon, I've got my hands on 4 new (old!) pieces of equipment in the last 30 days  :-[

I love the 54642D, the UI is the killer feature, super simple and intuitive to use, and the fastest response in any DSO I’ve used. Sure, it doesn’t have serial decoders (it does have some serial triggers), but unlike the 54622D, the 54642D is realtime throughout its timebase range, with a 500MHz bandwidth. Oh, did I mention the five second boot time?

Only downsides other than the serial decode are monochrome display and only two analogue channels, but it’s still a wonderful scope and a complete joy to use.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2046 on: June 21, 2018, 11:52:08 pm »

Nice score! Sometimes you just have to take a risk.

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2047 on: June 22, 2018, 04:57:02 am »

Oh very nice one.

Unforcenetly i got things put on my repair queue due to my own gear breaking.

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2048 on: June 24, 2018, 06:13:52 am »

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #2049 on: June 28, 2018, 09:41:09 am »

IFR 6201B. 8GHz Microwave Test Set. Not entirely clear what it does  :o  Precision Scalar Network measurements. Integral Frequency Counter and Power Meter
IFR 2390A 22GHz SA
HP 8594E 2.9GHz SA. 2x
HP 8595E 6.5GHz SA.
R&S UPL audio analyzer. Already sold if buyer comes through
R&S SMH 2GHz RF gen. 2x. One probably already sold.
R&S SMIQ03B 3.3GHz RF gen
Marconi 4.2GHz SA set (with TG) 2x
Marconi 6500 automatic amplitude analyzer. SWR and stuff
Marconi 2305 modulation meter (500KHz - 2GHz)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 09:43:46 am by Ice-Tea »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf