Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 458103 times)

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #2175 on: December 04, 2018, 11:02:27 am »
I'm honestly surprised they haven't at least made a B version replacing the UI etc. with that from their current devices.

Thinking about it some more the A in traditional looks, mystique, heritage etc combined with see Humans our company got it 'perfect' X years ago and our bs bs spin newer designs, equipment are built to the same insert more spin  bs bs .....

I think that's reasonable enough, until this latest generation of bench multimeters which truly do have new, extremely useful capabilities.

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2176 on: December 05, 2018, 02:12:26 am »
The cost of shipping is really killing me on getting more equipment  :-DD

I picked up a late model Tek 2465b for US $100  (+$50 sh) that was inoperative.  Seller said the HV was bad despite replacing the HV board but he included the old board.  Initial problem was the grid bias needed adjustment to get a display.  Now I think the Z hybrid is bad (NOS $150 + 40 SH from Canada, OUCH) and of course the SRAM and cap issues.  But it only has 8800 hours on it, the caps haven't started leaking yet and it had the cover and pouch.  Everyone loves these so I'm looking forward to putting it on my bench.

In view of that, I also picked up a TM503 with a TG501 and separately a PG506 to be able to callibrate it when I lose the callibration info in the SRAM   :palm:.  An SG504 would be nice, but I already have a couple SG503s

Not a test instrument, but to kind of offset that, I picked up an HP CP3525 duplex color laser printer for $25.  I can use it to print out the service manual.

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2177 on: December 05, 2018, 02:35:34 am »
Picked up 2 Keysight U1282B meters, brand new in boxes with factory cal certificates (that match the keysight website search) for AU$270 each after shipping, fees, currency conversion etc... to Australia.

A friend pointed them out to me and said the price has been dropping every few weeks, I said I’ll make an offer for both if you want one.

They arrived today and they are as described. Boxes look like they’ve been opened once (to take the photos on the listing)

Pretty happy with that

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2178 on: December 05, 2018, 03:18:05 am »
Its also possible they have been part of the "recall" of the U127x meters that had common mode issues on the amps range. Instead of doing the classical recall they just instead gave you a meter that doesn't have the issue. This sort of support is the reason why you pay a premium for Keysight gear versus say Rigol.

I still haven't found the perfect handheld meter yet but im pretty happy with Keysights ones so far. Calibration on all of them is still spot on to the last digit after years.

Online BillB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2179 on: December 05, 2018, 12:48:58 pm »
Picked up a new power supply for half-price because people don't seem to understand how voltage input selection switches work.  I saw the auction picture and knew this was going to be a score!   :-DD

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, Dwaine, salvagedcircuitry

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2180 on: December 05, 2018, 12:57:41 pm »
Picked up a new power supply for half-price because people don't seem to understand how voltage input selection switches work.  I saw the auction picture and knew this was going to be a score!   :-DD
:-DD   :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2181 on: December 05, 2018, 08:46:00 pm »
This mistake doesn't normally end as well in 230V land!

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2182 on: December 06, 2018, 03:16:18 am »
Good eye!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2183 on: December 06, 2018, 05:08:45 am »
All the Siglents that use a linear supply are set to 230 ex factory (Shenzhen is 230VAC) and are shipped with a warning tape over the IEC socket so to warn the user to set the correct voltage.
Like Bill says, someone couldn't read.....and that's a real worry in electronics !  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #2184 on: December 06, 2018, 05:42:15 am »
Recently blew up an R&S SMHU because I didn't check the selector.

Tally thus far: 2 glass fuses, one SMD fuse, one 7812, one 2n2222A, one UC2840, one 10V TVS.
eBay shop with all the gear you need!
FS: Agilent 54815A, 54825A, R&S CMU200, CRTU, SFU, SMIQ06L, SFU, HP8714B, 8595E, Marconi 6201B, Lecroy WP 960,950, 9354TM, THS720P, Anritsu MG3671A 2.75G I/Q RF gen, MS8604A 8.5GHz SA, Keithley 238 SMU

Online Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #2185 on: December 06, 2018, 02:29:32 pm »
Its also possible they have been part of the "recall" of the U127x meters that had common mode issues on the amps range. Instead of doing the classical recall they just instead gave you a meter that doesn't have the issue. This sort of support is the reason why you pay a premium for Keysight gear versus say Rigol.

I still haven't found the perfect handheld meter yet but im pretty happy with Keysights ones so far. Calibration on all of them is still spot on to the last digit after years.
Of course, they were fairly reluctant to do anything at first. When the community here started making a fuss Keysight decided handing out new meters was cheaper than damaging the brand name.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2186 on: December 06, 2018, 07:10:09 pm »
Daves video from yesterday fits right in:

Yeah i did such a stupid thing too, but in that case all that blew was a glass fuse.

Oh and the Multimeter fiasco well yeah they will try to sweep it under the rug at first and just hope everyone forgets, but it instead got worse so they quickly had to do something about it. Keysight is a very valuable brand after all.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #2187 on: December 06, 2018, 09:19:33 pm »
Not so much a score but because of magic smoke potential and the posts above / Dave's pepcac I brought a 240V-100V 'fixed' 500W transformer to go with my Advantest above. No more worry about my Variac getting a stray tweak while in use :-+
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order :)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2188 on: December 06, 2018, 11:35:09 pm »

Er... so what is a “classic recall” to you, then? Replacement seems to be how everyone handles recalls with small gadgets.

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2189 on: December 07, 2018, 12:42:09 am »
I think he is meaning they didn’t even ask for the faulty ones back like in a “classic recall”

Online BillB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2190 on: December 07, 2018, 01:18:27 am »
All the Siglents that use a linear supply are set to 230 ex factory (Shenzhen is 230VAC) and are shipped with a warning tape over the IEC socket so to warn the user to set the correct voltage.
Like Bill says, someone couldn't read.....and that's a real worry in electronics !  :scared:

That's one plus for having the 120V system here!  This isn't the first item I've seen from some liquidator on eBay selling a "not-working" item with the selectors set for 220V/230V!

Is is wrong of me to not tell them that they could probably just change the switches?  What about if I try to negotiate even more off the price because it's a non-working item?  ;D
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 01:21:07 am by BillB »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2191 on: December 07, 2018, 03:13:27 am »

That's one plus for having the 120V system here!  This isn't the first item I've seen from some liquidator on eBay selling a "not-working" item with the selectors set for 220V/230V!

Is is wrong of me to not tell them that they could probably just change the switches?  What about if I try to negotiate even more off the price because it's a non-working item?  ;D
No.
Yes.  >:D

Or there's some staff member having set this up hoping to get it cheap......beat them to it !  ;D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline rastro

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2192 on: December 07, 2018, 06:06:58 am »

No.
Yes.  >:D

Or there's some staff member having set this up hoping to get it cheap......beat them to it !  ;D

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.  (Hanlon's razor)  ;D

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2193 on: December 07, 2018, 12:03:12 pm »
Hanlon's razor is very good for shaving prices. ;D
Life is better under the TEA. ♪♩♫ Under the TEA. ♩♫

The following users thanked this post: rastro

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #2194 on: December 07, 2018, 12:07:30 pm »

Er... so what is a “classic recall” to you, then? Replacement seems to be how everyone handles recalls with small gadgets.

So we can expect a flood of secondhand slightly non working cheap U127x series meter coming to an Ebay near you soon :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order :)

Online Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2195 on: December 07, 2018, 12:27:38 pm »

Hmm, interesting that they photographed it working though, or is that photo of the front one that you took?
Who let Murphy in?

Online BillB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2196 on: December 07, 2018, 01:08:10 pm »

Hmm, interesting that they photographed it working though, or is that photo of the front one that you took?

No, the working photo was mine after it took me 1 minute to unbox and "fix" it.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2197 on: December 07, 2018, 01:29:18 pm »
That kind of distortion may be removable via an adjustment somewhere. It was normal for CRT equipment to develop that kind of distortion to some degree - as components aged, even when it was rotated/moved. So there are usually adjustments to cancel all those kinds of distortion out.

I can safely say there is nothing magnetic nearby.  Just more TE.  I have to get up the energy to open it up--wait, should probably do some reading in the service manual first.  I was on vacation last week and am happy to be back to work to get a vacation from my vacation. |O  I am playing with it in between doing things for work.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline mikron

• Contributor
« Reply #2198 on: December 07, 2018, 11:56:55 pm »
What about an Agilent N9010A Analyzer for 5 EUR on EBAY?
Unfortunately I will never receive it, since the seller cancelled the deal after I sent him the money.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 11:58:45 pm by mikron »

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2199 on: December 08, 2018, 12:03:22 am »

So we can expect a flood of secondhand slightly non working cheap U127x series meter coming to an Ebay near you soon :palm:

Well its not ideal, but you do take a risk in buying a used meter and its your own responsibility to make sure it works. The problem is patched with a firmware update for older units.

I think the eaby wave is well over by now, but i certainly wouldn't mind another U1273A on the cheap. I really like that meter.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf