Author Topic: Looking for a budget lab power supply with remote sensing  (Read 2371 times)

Offline jeppeTopic starter

Looking for a budget lab power supply with remote sensing
« on: November 19, 2017, 09:40:45 am »
Hi,
Im looking for a budget constant current/voltage power supply with remote voltage sensing ability in order to get accurate readings.
I there anything around 100pounds, 135 usd? (new or used) if not for that price what is the closest?
I did some searching before posting and couldn't find anything in my budget with remote sensing.
Thanks in advance :)

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
Re: Looking for a budget lab power supply with remote sensing
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 11:15:13 am »
Hi,
Im looking for a budget constant current/voltage power supply with remote voltage sensing ability in order to get accurate readings.
I there anything around 100pounds, 135 usd? (new or used) if not for that price what is the closest?
I did some searching before posting and couldn't find anything in my budget with remote sensing.

I did not find any new as well. Thou you can consider used "Mobile comms DC source" such as 66312A, 66311B. Besides remote sense and fast transient response they are two quadrant power supplies - can act as an load. Basically you have both supply and programmable load in one device. Thou most of them have terminals connectors on their back and they do not have "pure" current sourcing mode but rather voltage output with current limit. I don't mind this, some may not. If you consider to get one, it is good idea to read User Manual before you do.

Check https://mcs-testequipment.com/mcs-test-stock-clearance/ and https://mcs-testequipment.com/category/dc_power_supplies_bench_top/. Pay attention to condition of the item you are planning to get. - It may vary.

Recently I got R&S NGMO1 in very good condition from them - very satisfied.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 11:19:00 am »
Accurate, cheap and new don't go well together. Using sense wires has no use if the reference of the power supply drifts a lot and the meter readings aren't accurate. This is usually the case with cheap power supplies.
I second the suggestion for the 66312A, 66311B and similar units but they probably cost a bit more than you have in your budget.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 12:36:48 pm »
If you are considering used, many of the older bench power supplies like the analog-metered power supplies from HP, Lambda and Kepco would have a barrier strip on the back that would include sense connections. The connections may not be obvious without studying the manual or carefully examining pictures of the back.

At least in the US, these are available for well under $100. No idea about what's available in Denmark. The eBay seller from France (f1power01?) might have something suitable and might have lower shipping rates to Denmark than from the US.

Offline jeppeTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 12:39:14 pm »
@nctnico

Thanks a lot for the response.
I skimmed through the user Manual a little. I was unable to find it mentioned anywhere that they can act as a DC load as well. If possible could you elaborate on the load feature?

My needs are that i want to test buck and boost converters as im starting the development of a small battery powered power supply unit. . In order to do that i will need a lab power supply with sensing as well as a DC electronic load with sensing. My goal is to get the most accurate readings possible with the smallest budget for equipment. I had originally planed to get 2 units each with the individual feature. I have looked at the R&S NGMO1 and 2 but as a all in one unit but it is a little out of my price range (400pounds). Is there any other all in one units or multiple units out there that can do the same for a little more reasonable price?

@nctnico
Thanks :) I understand that good equipment is expensive but i want to get the most bang for my buck.

@alm
Thanks will take a look :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 12:47:36 pm by jeppe »

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 12:49:41 pm »
I skimmed through the user Manual a little. I was unable to find it mentioned anywhere that they can act as a DC load as well.
Search for sink in the datasheet/manual. The half-rack HP/Agilent units do not have a variable sinking current, they will sink up to a certain maximum current depending on the input voltage (see manual for details). The fairly similar Keithley 2302, 2303, 2304, 2306, 2308 units do allow setting the maximum amount of current it will sink. Finding them under $135 might be tricky. Read the datasheet for limitations on the maximum current. The larger HP/Agilent/Keysight 663x are similar, but in a larger format. Note that the older models with an -A suffix have a substantial offset (50 mA) that may be an issue for low current designs.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 02:38:42 pm »
Is there any other all in one units or multiple units out there that can do the same for a little more reasonable price?

In link I provided 66311B is listed for 120 pounds, 66312A for 150. Reasonably close to your budget. Some particular unit may not look pretty, but seller gives warranty that function is up-to the specs. In case you are interested - PM Mike a.ka RigolOnline  (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/fs-used-rigol-dm3058-digital-multimeters/msg1340158/#msg1340158). Disclaimer: I have no relation to particular company other than satisfied customer.

[edit] you can add 6611C, 6612C, 6613C, 6614C to the search list as well.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 05:38:05 pm by ogden »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf