Author Topic: POWER DESIGNS PRECISION POWER SUPPLIES  (Read 330248 times)

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
Re: POWER DESIGNS PRECISION POWER SUPPLIES
« Reply #775 on: December 23, 2017, 07:03:31 pm »
God forbid, the PD is not the alien (but just in case I use kind words when I talk to my power supply)
Easily testable.  Hook it up to a scope and threaten it with a hammer.

The following users thanked this post: nanofrog, ez24

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #776 on: December 24, 2017, 12:05:27 am »
Nice job with all the cleanups, Greg. That 2005A looks like new.

I still need to find a pair of rear feet for this unit.

Yeah, many of the PD supplies as well as some other brands of instruments from the same era (Systron Donner, etc.) used the same feet. I have a 6050A that's missing a rear one. If you find a source (other than buying whole devices just for their feet), let me know.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: Barbouri

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #777 on: December 24, 2017, 12:10:06 am »
By the way, last night I saw a C400 on eBay (100V, 400mA). They don't turn up very often. Looks like it sold at its BIN price of $135 plus shipping.

Offline Barbouri

• Regular Contributor
    • Barbouri's Electronics Projects
« Reply #778 on: January 17, 2018, 07:40:25 pm »
Yeah, many of the PD supplies as well as some other brands of instruments from the same era (Systron Donner, etc.) used the same feet. I have a 6050A that's missing a rear one. If you find a source (other than buying whole devices just for their feet), let me know.
I did find a close match for the original rear feet on the 6050C. Just slightly shorter.
They are from Digikey Part# RPC1130-ND
Made by Essentra Components SFF-028, Foot Cylindrical, Tapered 0.787" Dia (20.00mm) Santoprene Black
I did end up cutting off the the expand attachment and used a 4-40 screw with the existing nuts.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 07:43:53 pm by Barbouri »

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #779 on: January 18, 2018, 12:05:56 am »
Nice find. Thanks, Barbouri.

Offline sarel.wagner

• Regular Contributor
  • Cooking up an Electronix Storm
« Reply #780 on: February 09, 2018, 07:40:58 am »
I have a 2005 early model and that used to be spot on. It recently lost its accuracy and zero volt set point, so something is amiss. the zero volts now show -320mv and the calibration is out by a set % up to about 300mv low on 20 volt. Time to trouble shoot. I managed to get the zero volts spot on again, but that was just checking if the offset can be changed. I did this by strapping the resistors differently, part of the calibration procedures. Have not yet started looking for the fault.

Since I need to fix this, also decided to clean it up as it was still as received.
-
This morning I managed to snag 2 A models from fleabay, one working and one not for $100.99 + shipping. The one on the left is claimed to be working. It seems a switch was changed on the other one. Happy chappy me  :-DD
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 07:43:12 am by sarel.wagner »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #781 on: February 09, 2018, 07:51:45 am »
Very nice. My 2010 also has the locking toggle switch for the voltage output range. It's a good safety feature.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #782 on: February 09, 2018, 12:53:42 pm »
Very nice. My 2010 also has the locking toggle switch for the voltage output range. It's a good safety feature.
My TP343 uses one for the tracking switch. So it seems Power Designs were really fond of locking toggles (seen it on other models as well).

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #783 on: February 09, 2018, 07:24:09 pm »
Yep, there's one on my TP343 and TP340A as well.

Offline sarel.wagner

• Regular Contributor
  • Cooking up an Electronix Storm
« Reply #784 on: February 11, 2018, 07:20:37 am »
My 2005 supply is one of the early ones, late 1964. The Circuit diagram is for the later models as per the updates.
Anybody that perhaps have an earlier version please?

The section in red is missing, assume it was later added as part of the revisions. Have not determined what else has changed yet.

I have found a number of out of spec resistors in mine this far. Most caps test good, no or extremely low leakage at wvdc.

Offline orin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #785 on: February 12, 2018, 02:23:15 am »
A little off at a tangent, but I was checking out/repairing my 2005A these last couple of weeks.  I of course blew the fuse testing the current limit pot, so it had to come apart and get cleaned.  My pot has a little 'catch' at about 900 ohms.  I couldn't see any reason for it. The resistance will jitter a little on the meter if the pot is set at this point.  I'll probably have to live with this.  I did give it a dose of DeoxIT FaderLube before putting it back together.

FWIW, here is an hour or so of data with it set to 10V.  You can clearly see the oven heater cycling, but the effect is less than 50uV pk-pk.  (The 34461A's trend plot labeling leaves a little to be desired to say the least; they have room for another digit, but insist on displaying 10.000 2 twice...)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #786 on: February 12, 2018, 03:55:13 am »
My pot has a little 'catch' at about 900 ohms.  I couldn't see any reason for it.

Maybe it's worn there from being used around that position for most of its former life.

The 34461A's trend plot labeling leaves a little to be desired to say the least; they have room for another digit, but insist on displaying 10.000 2 twice...

That's odd also because it's a 6.5-digit meter, so it should have the additional digit. Sure looks weird.

Offline Seich

• I am three as you are one.
    • Seich's Blog
« Reply #787 on: February 27, 2018, 07:55:09 pm »
I finally found a PD2010 in good condition at a reasonable price. I couldn't be happier; it's a lovely piece of equipment. I just need to find a vertical PD2020 complete my collection now.

btw, does anyone know of a good way to get rid of that poor attempt at engraving in the faceplate? I could do without it.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #788 on: February 27, 2018, 10:22:56 pm »
That's a nice one, Seich. Yeah, the PD 2020 in vertical enclosure is something I've only seen once. Pretty elusive.

Regarding the engraving on the face of your 2010, I don't know of an easy way to restore the metal. You'd have to fill it in and then match the brushed surface texture. Of course, you could just cover it with something that would bother you less than the engraving. Perhaps make your own calibration sticker.

Offline Barbouri

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #789 on: February 28, 2018, 04:07:41 am »
That is a very nice looking 2010, but agree that it could do with out the engraving.

I have a PD 6050C that someone decided to clean-up some stickers using a metal screwdriver and severely gouged the aluminum.
Currently designing a new front panel using Front Panel Designer from FPE, but still need some vector graphics for the pd logo and outer line.

Overall yours looks so good, that I think bitseeker has a great idea of covering the engraving with a well placed cal sticker.

Offline Seich

• I am three as you are one.
    • Seich's Blog
« Reply #790 on: February 28, 2018, 04:17:02 am »
I hadn't thought of a sticker, it sounds like the best option. I just need to find a sticker worthy enough now!

I can't stand people that deface such beautiful equipment. Specially since there are so many spots to add an inconspicuous label on.  :palm:

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #791 on: February 28, 2018, 05:28:50 am »
I've been thinking lately of the practicality of using something like transparencies with reverse printing and just using that on a front plate.  Easily cleaned and if it gets damaged you just print another.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #792 on: February 28, 2018, 05:34:05 am »
Nothing wrong with that. It's a lot better than using lots of small transparent labels. You could also put a screen protector over the transparency for a bit more scratch resistance. Transparencies tend to scratch easily.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #793 on: February 28, 2018, 02:08:33 pm »
I've been thinking lately of the practicality of using something like transparencies with reverse printing and just using that on a front plate.  Easily cleaned and if it gets damaged you just print another.

I have done this before and it works great.  The transparency can be held down by a spray adhesive like 3M Super 77 Multipurpose Spray Adhesive.

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #794 on: February 28, 2018, 04:46:42 pm »
Thanks.  Other than the mechanical parts I was wondering about the best way to hold it in place.  I wasn't sure if thee was an adhesive that wouldn't look bad/blotchy/colored/whatever.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #795 on: March 03, 2018, 08:30:55 pm »
Did anyone here win the "for parts" C500 on eBay today?

Offline Barbouri

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #796 on: March 03, 2018, 10:28:51 pm »
Did anyone here win the "for parts" C500 on eBay today?

That would be me  :)

Also courtesy of “gto 4ben” I now have a scanned copy of the PD 6150 Instruction Manual with Schematics at the bottom of my blog post.
https://www.barbouri.com/2017/11/30/power-designs-6150-universal-dc-power-source-restoration/

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #797 on: March 04, 2018, 12:07:51 am »
Cool, congrats. I look forward to seeing the C500. The photos in the listing weren't the greatest.

Offline Barbouri

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #798 on: March 04, 2018, 03:27:56 am »
Cool, congrats. I look forward to seeing the C500. The photos in the listing weren't the greatest.

I almost skipped it due to the poor photos. But due to TEA (Test Equipment Anonymous) DPI, and EMI syndrome, I ended up bidding on it and winning by just a few cents.
The bottom of the meter looked a bit sketchy in the photo, but the rest of the front panel looked to be in good shape with plenty of protective dirt and grime.
As usual when the C500 arrives I will give it a good cleanup, and take lots of photos.

Offline Barbouri

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #799 on: March 04, 2018, 05:06:09 pm »
This morning I managed to snag 2 A models from fleabay, one working and one not for $100.99 + shipping. The one on the left is claimed to be working. It seems a switch was changed on the other one. Happy chappy me  :-DD

Did you have any luck with your recently acquired Power Designs 2005A's ?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf