Author Topic: Multimeter that work on 2000V DC  (Read 18254 times)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: Multimeter that work on 2000V DC
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 11:46:17 pm »
I also have a Fluke 80K-6 probe that I got with a 27/FM, a set of probes and hard case for $75 shipped(military surplus).  I used it to check high voltage in a scope and it worked great.  Considering what the probe sells for, i look at it like buying the probe and getting the multimeter free!
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2014, 02:25:36 am »
With the disappearance of CRT based TV sets,there should be a fair few redundant EHT probes available.
Some 'scope makers include a voltage divider between their EHT line & chassis,providing a convenient voltage level for checking with a normal DMM.

Offline poida_pie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 06:17:24 am »
I agree with GreyWoolfe, after I saw the prices for the Fluke 6kV probe
getting one of the ex US Army Fluke 27 F/M plus 6kV probe was a great buy on ebay.

I got the probe I needed (again, for CRO HV checking) and also got an excellent DVM that is
still spot on accurate, a huge long battery life and built like a brick s**thouse for no extra cost.

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2014, 09:46:10 am »
Years ago, when I did my first scope repair. I made a HV probe from big resistors from the tube area. I made it with silicon wire and the meter was connected over a trimpot at the ground site. It had crocs so I could mount them, put on the power and there was no need to touch it.
To bad it did not work as I hoped. I then learned that the HV test point can be rather high impedance so the HV probe loaded it to much and voltage dropped because the probe was parallel with the testpoint impedance. Total probe R was 100 MOhm.

A very good friend came by (he is learned me most of the things about instrument repair) and had a HV testprobe from Voltcraft  as a gift to me. It is 40KV and I use it still. I also have an antique Philips HV probe. It has a metal grip. I use it now and then if there is not enough space but it was made for a philips meter that was no 10M.

By the way, not every, or better, almost no, HV probe is usable for AC ( other then very low frequency) There are HV scope probes and even those have bandwidth restrictions. I have two Tek HV probes, they are very big.
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline alanb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2014, 11:01:04 am »
Hi guy's,

I'm looking for a multimeter that can take 2000 V DC like the Avometer.

Thank you in advance four your input ;)

eurofox

Why not use an Avometer, you can pick up  a secondhand model 8 for about £10 on Ebay.

Offline eurofoxTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2014, 12:29:54 am »
Hi guy's,

I'm looking for a multimeter that can take 2000 V DC like the Avometer.

Thank you in advance four your input ;)

eurofox

Why not use an Avometer, you can pick up  a secondhand model 8 for about £10 on Ebay.

I wanted to buy an Avometer for this but was hard to find a nice one, now I know where I can get one but don't need anymore since I got a HV probe.
eurofox

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf