Author Topic: Multimeter that work on 2000V DC  (Read 18097 times)

Offline eurofoxTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Music
Multimeter that work on 2000V DC
« on: October 28, 2013, 06:57:55 pm »
Hi guy's,

I'm looking for a multimeter that can take 2000 V DC like the Avometer.

Thank you in advance four your input ;)

eurofox
eurofox

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
Multimeter that work on 2000V DC
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 07:15:57 pm »
Fluke with HV probe?

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
Re: Multimeter that work on 2000V DC
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 07:21:04 pm »
It would be useful if you provided more information about your budget and requirements - for example the Vitrek 4700 multimeter will natively measure DC up to 10,000V, but it's $3000. A Fluke 80K-6 probe will handle 6000V for a more reasonable sum.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 07:59:59 pm by rolycat »

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 07:28:42 pm »
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 09:12:27 pm »
It would be useful if you provided more information about your budget and requirements - for example the Vitrek 4700 multimeter will natively measure DC up to 10,000V, but it's $3000. A Fluke 80K-6 probe will handle 6000V for a more reasonable sum.

My idea was to find a multimeter able to do that and don't have to spend $3000  :-+

eurofox
eurofox

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 09:13:35 pm »
Fluke with HV probe?

I put it on my list to find one.

eurofox
eurofox

Offline samofab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 09:33:59 pm »
I recently bought a Voltcraft 40kV probe that works with any multimeter for about 40 EUR. Its big and I hope it doesn't kill me if I try to measure 60kV some day (and that day might come soon).

I also bought a chinese oscilloscope probe x100 for 25USD and it supposedly works up to 2kV.

Offline AG6QR

• Frequent Contributor
    • AG6QR Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 09:42:29 pm »
The Fluke 80K-6 doesn't require a Fluke meter -- it will work with any meter having a 10 megaohm input impedance.

Note that it is for low energy circuits only.  Not for power distribution!

Depending on your needs for safety and accuracy, you might be able to throw together your own resistive divider that would accomplish the same task as the 80K-6.  But the 80K-6 isn't a particularly expensive device.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 09:54:00 pm »
As has already been said, we need to know what is the intended use.

If it is for playing with low current things then it is relatively cheap to measure high voltages like 2kV. But is this for something with high power or in a power distribution panel, then you need to stay away from it if you are asking for a multimeter to measure that voltage and power as it will kill you in an instant if you don't know what you are doing and don't follow correct procedures.

alm

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 09:56:56 pm »
I recently bought a Voltcraft 40kV probe that works with any multimeter for about 40 EUR. Its big and I hope it doesn't kill me if I try to measure 60kV some day (and that day might come soon).
Don't assume a 40 kV probe will be safe above its rated 40 kV, especially not a Voltcraft one. And I certainly would advise against letting your life depend on that probe exceeding its specs. If you need a probe for a circuit that might be up to 60 kV, get a probe rated for at least 60 kV.

Offline samofab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 10:02:15 pm »
:-)

thanks for the warning about 60kV. If I plug into a circuit (a big if) where I can expect voltages above its rated maximum I'll make sure I don't come close or touch it while powered on.

General rant: probes get expensive above 40kV and hand soldered divider is in my opinion (at that voltage) quite a dangerous thing.

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 10:06:21 pm »

If it is for playing with low current things then it is relatively cheap to measure high voltages like 2kV. But is this for something with high power or in a power distribution panel, then you need to stay away from it if you are asking for a multimeter to measure that voltage and power as it will kill you in an instant if you don't know what you are doing and don't follow correct procedures.

I need to repair a scope but don't need a 40KV probe right now but I already locate a Fluke probe on a local second hand website and I'll try to get it.

eurofox
eurofox

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 10:45:25 pm »
For anyone considering the DIY route, think again. If you think there is a certain amount of "black art" going from analogue to RF the same can be said for high voltage.

I know precious little about it myself but have seen HV cable joiners working and some of the stuff they do seems odd. I have some notes around somewhere that I may dig up.

For example stripping the insulation on a single core, it's not good enough to simply cut the insulation and leave a 90deg step at the end of the insulation, they actually taper it down to the conductor.

If they place a lug on the end of a core and there is a gap between the insulation and the start of the lug, the gap is filled... and loads of isopropanol to make sure everything is clean.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 11:15:42 pm »

I need to repair a scope but don't need a 40KV probe right now but I already locate a Fluke probe on a local second hand website and I'll try to get it.

eurofox

For measuring the few kilovolts in a scope, just build a 1000:1 divider yourself.

Offline ElectroIrradiator

• Frequent Contributor
  • More analog than digital.
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 08:58:19 am »
For measuring the few kilovolts in a scope, just build a 1000:1 divider yourself.

Do you have a design suggestion, including the mechanical execution, please? For a high impedance HT divider corona discharge is going to be problematic in a DIY design, even for the 15KV or so found in scope anode supplies.

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 09:45:31 am »
Also be aware of HV probes you see on china sites.
I've seen one for sale which look kind of like it would connect to a scope.
There is wires coming out to a connector as well as a few other single cables.

The connector is just a connection to the switch on the side, one of those other wires is HT cable and connected right to the end of the probe!!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 09:49:33 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 01:02:48 pm »

Do you have a design suggestion, including the mechanical execution, please? For a high impedance HT divider corona discharge is going to be problematic in a DIY design, even for the 15KV or so found in scope anode supplies.

You don't typically measure 15kV. The 2-3kV supply it's sourced from is much easier.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 01:44:37 pm »
You don't typically measure 15kV. The 2-3kV supply it's sourced from is much easier.

How do you test the HT quintupler, or check if there is a leak path on the HT rail (cracked insulation plus dust/dirt)?

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 03:02:27 pm »

How do you test the HT quintupler, or check if there is a leak path on the HT rail (cracked insulation plus dust/dirt)?

If you suspect the multiplier, they're usually cheaper than a suitable probe.

As for the leak path, visual inspection and cleaning is usually an easy place to start..

Offline orin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 04:49:57 pm »
I got a BK Precision PR 28A from Amazon.com to test the HV (it was 2700V) on my spectrum analyzer display.  Goes to 40kV so they say.   At $64 new it wasn't worth going to ebay for something used.  They supply three tips, a point, a hook and metal plate which I assume is for slipping under CRT anode connectors.

It worked fine, but given the test point is a plated through hole, I had to use the pointed tip and hold the probe in place.  Resting it on the chassis worked, but I had to watch out it didn't slip.

The scary part of this adventure was when I discharged the tube.  The recommended method was to connect a lead from a long flat blade screwdriver to the chassis and slide it under the anode connection.  So I got an alligator clip lead out - you know, the ones that you get half a dozen of for about $5 - and because I was paranoid, checked its resistance.  Open circuit!  I found at least two of the leads were open circuit - the copper breaks under the crimp.

Perhaps I'll buy some better quality ones or make my own...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 07:09:15 pm »

As for the leak path, visual inspection and cleaning is usually an easy place to start..

That just about sums it all up :)
You can sleeve any cracked or leaking UHT lead
The highest voltage i have checked on several CRT scopes was 2750 and done with Avo 8 Mk5 with are made for such measurements and cheap to find.
Plenty of manuals and service data out there too.
Just watch out for cheap copies of Avo leads
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 07:46:52 pm »

That just about sums it all up :)
You can sleeve any cracked or leaking UHT lead
The highest voltage i have checked on several CRT scopes was 2750 and done with Avo 8 Mk5 with are made for such measurements and cheap to find.
Plenty of manuals and service data out there too.
Just watch out for cheap copies of Avo leads

Well, the Avo isn't suitable for measuring the 2.5kV rail on my scope (or I'd have used mine), too heavy a loading.

Thankfully, 11 resistors, a pot, and a cap work wonders for this low down the HV scale.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 08:49:21 pm »

Only if you never intend to use the HT probe again, *and* you can find a replacement, which will physically fit the target unit.

I was hoping there was some nugget of knowledge I had yet to learn here, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 08:59:43 pm »
I was hoping there was some nugget of knowledge I had yet to learn here, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

What a shame.

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 11:24:24 pm »
I got a 6KV fluke probe and this work like a charm  :-+

eurofox
eurofox

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf