Author Topic: Mastech MS-8233E, MS-8240D and MS-8250C  (Read 52306 times)

Offline iloveelectronicsTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Mastech MS-8233E, MS-8240D and MS-8250C
« on: November 07, 2012, 04:48:41 am »
Since opening my own eBay store recently I've been out trying to source electronics stuff that I can sell at reasonable prices. Obviously being located in Hong Kong my sources would be from China. Mastech is one of those Chinese companies that make a lot of multimeters either under their own brand or rebadged as others. Martin reviewed the MS-8218 on his YouTube channel that I sent him but despite being very accurate there are a few too many negatives going against it. So I continued the search and found these 3 other Mastech at different price ranges. They are rather rare and hard to find and I had to basically contact the manufacturer directly and special order them (at much higher than normal prices unfortunately).

MS-8233E - This is the auto ranging and more feature packed version of the much more common 8233A/B/C variants (easily found on eBay), at a beginner's price point. This E variant is rebadged as the Klein Tools MM200 in the US market, available at Amazon for <$35. EDIT: After looking closer it appears the MM200 is actually slightly different from the 8233E. It doesn't have the NCV detector and it has the frequency/duty cycle measurement in place of the Max Hold feature on the 8233E.

MS-8250C - I haven't been able to find any rebadged version of this meter but what caught my eye first was its appearance which for some reason I really really like. The C variant of the 8250 also features a dual display, non-contact voltage detector, USB interface etc. Its rather unique 6600-count also led me to believe it's running the same chip as the BK Precision BK2709B which won Dave's $100 multimeter shootout 2 years ago.

MS-8240D - This is the mysterious brother of the Uni-T UT61E which some people knew existed but rarely (if ever) seen in real life! It uses the same Cyrustek ES51922A chip that the UT61E uses, so basically it offers the same performance, accuracy and resolution. What sets it apart from the UT61E is that it has implemented most of the features that the UT61E lacks, namely the backlight, MAX/MIN (besides PEAK), Auto Power Off and ability to turn off USB data logging. It also comes default with a USB cable instead of the RS-232 for the UT61E. It is rebadged as the PeakTech 3430 in Germany.

Here's a picture of the 3 meters together with the UT-61E. I'll post a very brief review of them later.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 04:23:27 pm by iloveelectronics »
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

The following users thanked this post: 001

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Mastech MS-8233E, MS-8240D and MS-8250C
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 01:19:58 pm »
MS-8233E

Pros:
1. Exceptionally clear high contrast display.
2. Very compact in size. About the size of a modern large screen smartphone (much thicker though of course).
3. Removable holster.
4. Decent quality leads (for its price) with ratings marked on the probes and wires.
5. Very positive feeling range switch. Nice click-clacking!
6. Good display refresh rate at >3 times per second.
7. Feature rich for its size and price. Autoranging, max hold, backlight, temperature in both C and F scales, non-contact voltage detection.
8. Auto ranges the entire voltage range, no need to select between V or mV.
9. Fast voltage auto ranging.
10. Tilting bail allows 2 tilting angles.
11. Good DC and resistance accuracy (based on DMMcheck Plus/PentaRef and comparison to my Brymen 867).

Cons:
1. Only 2000 counts.
2. Slow continuity tester. Not the slowest I've seen but slow nonetheless.
3. Slow resistance auto ranging.
4. No bar graph display.
5. mA range shares the same socket as V and other measurements.
6. AC voltage measurement was way out (10%) on the 5VAC output on my DMMcheck Plus. Mains voltage measurement was fine though. EDIT: I just realised DMMCheck Plus outputs 5VAC RMS square wave, and this meter is not a true RMS meter, hence the large error.
7. No true RMS. Perhaps that's what leads to the problem in (6) above? Can't really expect TRMS at this price point I suppose.
8. Diode tester doesn't work on LED's.
9. Jumper wires connecting the NCV indicator and LCD gingerly soldered onto the main board.
10. Only uses a 9V battery clip. But at least the wires are connected in a way that prevents too much stress on the joints.
11. Cat II 600V rated only. And current inputs are rated (and fused) at 250V only.

Overall I think (I may be biased) it's a very decent meter in the sub-40 dollar price range. Things like bar graph and true RMS you can't really expect from a low end meter like this anyway. It performs quite well and quick otherwise.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 01:42:25 pm by iloveelectronics »

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 03:34:14 pm »
How much did you find the MS8240D for?

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 03:46:57 pm »
MS-8233E - This is the auto ranging and more feature packed version of the much more common 8233A/B/C variants (easily found on eBay), at a beginner's price point. This E variant is rebadged as the Klein Tools MM200 in the US market, available at Amazon for <$35.

Does not appear to be quite the same. No non-contact voltage (not that I care, mostly useless 'function'), different range switch arrangement.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 04:03:49 pm »
How much did you find the MS8240D for?

Almost $96 not including shipping. But as I said I paid a premium for the special order. If I were to bulk order the price would be lower.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 04:08:02 pm »
MS-8233E - This is the auto ranging and more feature packed version of the much more common 8233A/B/C variants (easily found on eBay), at a beginner's price point. This E variant is rebadged as the Klein Tools MM200 in the US market, available at Amazon for <$35.

Does not appear to be quite the same. No non-contact voltage (not that I care, mostly useless 'function'), different range switch arrangement.

I stand corrected. The Klein Tools MM200 does differ from the MS-8233E somewhat. Apart from the NCV, the 8233E also have included the Max Hold function instead of the frequency/duty cycle on the MM200. Perhaps it would have been coded the MS-8233D if it existed :)

Regarding the NCV function, I agree it's pretty useless in electronics work but I actually find it quite handy when working with household stuff, such as fiddling with the wall sockets for whatever reason. I can easily make sure I have indeed turned the main switch off before I do anything silly :)

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 04:14:20 pm »
I can easily make sure I have indeed turned the main switch off before I do anything silly :)

They are not to be relied upon for that. You may as well use a neon screwdriver.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 04:29:48 pm »
I can easily make sure I have indeed turned the main switch off before I do anything silly :)

They are not to be relied upon for that. You may as well use a neon screwdriver.

That's true. Not that I have those neon screwdrivers anymore though...

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 05:08:37 pm »
Not impressed by the board on the 8233. Lay-out is very confused. Floating watch crystal. 205 ceramic fuses, but are there fast blow (FF)?
Also, the spark gap was left out, even though the footprint is on the PCB. Mastech didn't even try to secure those connecting wires properly. I know it is a cheap meter, but they should be ashamed to sell something put together in this fashion.
How does this meter compare to the Extech MN36, EX320 or the VC99, selling for about the same price?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 05:10:35 pm by Wytnucls »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 06:21:35 pm »
How does this meter compare to the Extech MN36, EX320 or the VC99, selling for about the same price?

I re-watched Dave's review on the EX330 (the big brother of EX320) and the VC99 in his $50 multimeter shootout from a couple of years ago. VC99 looks pretty terrible and I'd say the MS-8233E is definitely better than that, with a much more compact form factor. Feature wise the 8233E beats the EX320 by having the temperature measurement and the backlight, while missing the manual ranging capability. I don't know enough about circuit design and input protection etc to make any clever comments but from the surface the Extech has more input protection components but uses glass fuses while the Mastech only has one PTC but uses ceramic fuses (they are marked F10AH250V 50CF and F250mVH205V 50CF, I don't know if they are fast blow or not). Performance wise I'd say the Mastech is on par with the EX330 that Dave reviewed, and it doesn't have that sliding and spinning on your desk problem for sure :)

I think saying "they should be ashamed to sell something put together in this fashion" is a bit harsh as I've seen meters that look much worse internally. Even the UT61E has 2 spark gaps footprints left unpopulated. At least this leaves you the option to beef up the protection a bit if you so choose to. But this is just my opinion.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 07:14:38 pm »
They are rather rare and hard to find ...
MS-8233E - This is the auto ranging and more feature packed version of the much more common 8233A/B/C variants

The E is not too difficult to find in Europe. Rebadged http://www.rapidonline.com/test-measurement/ms8233e-autoranging-d-tal-multimeter-85-0725 or original http://www.electronic-shop.lu/EN/products/134704 http://www.oboyle.ro/shop/multimetru-mastech-ms8233e.html Someone must have imported a shipping container or two of them to Europe.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 04:50:38 am »
MS-8250C

Pros:
1. Very nice tough looking appearance. This is a very personal thing, I just really like the straight lines, angles and layout on this meter. Holds very nicely in the hand too.
2. Excellent range switch with ball bearing mechanism.
3. Easy access to fuses and battery with metal threaded screw receivers. (The 8233E also has metal threaded screw receiver for the battery compartment with I forgot to mention)
4. Lightning fast continuity tester.
5. Lightning fast autoranging, for both voltage and resistance.
6. Down to 1pF resolution for capacitance measurement. I don't have the equipment to test its accuracy but readings from basic ceramic and electrolytic caps look well within spec.
7. Very nice and even white backlight.
8. Doesn't have the Fluke Auto Hold but features the same "delayed hold" found on the UT61E for handsfree operation, by holding the HOLD button for a couple of seconds.
9. Dual display for measuring AC voltage/current and frequency, or frequency and duty cycle at the same time.
10. Built-in RS-232 to USB interface conversion with CP2102. Optically isolated with 2 pairs of infrared LED's and photodiodes. 2-way communication maybe?
11. Auto detects the USB connection so no need to push any button for enabling/disabling PC data logging.
12. Very good sensitive and accurate NCV detector (much more sensitive than the one on the 8233E).

Cons:
1. Display doesn't have very good contrast, looks a bit washed out when viewed directly. No problem when viewed at a slight angle.
2. Defaults to AC on all voltage and current ranges.
3. Software that comes with it is really basic.
4. Weak input protection. Only 3 PTC's, no MOV's or power resisters.
5. Only 6600 counts (which is actually quite sufficient for normal use).
6. Also only uses a 9V battery clip

I thought the MS8250C used the same main chip as the BK2709B which Dave reviewed in his $100 multimeter shootout video, but I was wrong. It uses a Chinese made Silan SC7968 and I can't find any datasheet on the internet. EDIT: Jarvis pointed out that the SC7968 is actually a Cyrustek ES51968 ripoff.

I just found that DealExtreme actually has this meter for sale at a similar price point as the UT61E. I don't think I can beat them on the price even if I manage to source some for my eBay store. Apart from the number of counts this meter actually compares quite well against the UT61E in terms of performance and features. However, the lack of datasheet for the main chip probably means it's hard to find/write custom software to replace the very basic one that comes with it. EDIT: Again, now that we know it's basically equivalent to the Cyrustek ES51968 finding a datasheet isn't a problem anymore.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:53:28 pm by iloveelectronics »

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 05:45:54 am »
I thought the MS8250C used the same main chip as the BK2709B which Dave reviewed in his $100 multimeter shootout video, but I was wrong. It uses a Chinese made Silan SC7968 and I can't find any datasheet on the internet.
However, the lack of datasheet for the main chip probably means it's hard to find/write custom software to replace the very basic one that comes with it.

You could try to ask them for a datasheet http://www.silan.com.cn/ Although I couldn't find the SC7968 on their site.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline jarvis

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 06:42:53 am »
You could find the datasheet from Cyrustek.

Silan's SC7968 is a counterfeit of ES51968.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 07:00:52 am »
You could find the datasheet from Cyrustek.

Silan's SC7968 is a counterfeit of ES51968.

Really?  So it is indeed the same chip as The BK Precision after all then!

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:03:00 am by iloveelectronics »

Offline jarvis

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 08:45:15 am »
BK2709B use ES51967. That is different from ES51968.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 08:49:24 am »

oh ok... BTW, how do you know The Silan chip is a Cyrustek ripoff?

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 12:06:50 pm »
ceramic fuses (they are marked F10AH250V 50CF and F250mVH205V 50CF, I don't know if they are fast blow or not). Performance wise I'd say the Mastech is on par with the EX330 that Dave reviewed, and it doesn't have that sliding and spinning on your desk problem for sure :)

I think saying "they should be ashamed to sell something put together in this fashion" is a bit harsh as I've seen meters that look much worse internally. Even the UT61E has 2 spark gaps footprints left unpopulated. At least this leaves you the option to beef up the protection a bit if you so choose to. But this is just my opinion.
The fuses are pretty good actually, if like I suspect they are Holly HRC 1.5KA at 250V. Probably not fast blow, but close. Strictly speaking, one shouldn't try to measure voltages above 250V with that meter, in case the leads are in the wrong jacks.
The reason I said the company ought to be ashamed, is because they are fostering a reputation to be a cut above the main Chinese manufacturers, like Uni-T and Extech, when in fact, they take the same shortcuts, with dodgy wiring and minimal protection. The cases might look the part, but the innards are mostly a disappointment.

http://hollylan.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008800048269/pdtl/Ceramic-tube/1000977222/Tube-Fuses.htm

Offline jarvis

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 01:13:07 pm »

oh ok... BTW, how do you know The Silan chip is a Cyrustek ripoff?

My friend in China told me.
There are some patent issues between Silan & Cyrustek.
That's why you could not find the datasheet on the Silan's website.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 01:14:53 pm »
The reason I said the company ought to be ashamed, is because they are fostering a reputation to be a cut above the main Chinese manufacturers, like Uni-T and Extech, when in fact, they take the same shortcuts, with dodgy wiring and minimal protection. The cases might look the part, but the innards are mostly a disappointment.

I can see your point now. But I guess to compete at the lower end market these meters do have to build down to the price. I believe CEM is the manufacturer that actually makes a lot of the Extech meters. Most of their meters (under their own CEM brand) are selling at higher prices then similar meters of other Chinese brands. I may get a couple of them to look at in the future to see if the higher price translates into better quality.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 01:16:21 pm »
My friend in China told me.
There are some patent issues between Silan & Cyrustek.
That's why you could not find the datasheet on the Silan's website.

That makes sense! Anyway, thanks a lot for the information, now I can look at the Cyrustek datasheet and learn a lot more about the MS8250C  ;)

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 04:09:50 pm »
CEM is indeed the OEM

Offline jarvis

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 01:23:38 am »
CEM should be the ODM.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 02:49:37 am »
MS-8240D

Pros:
1. High resolution at 22000 counts
2. Easy access to batteries and fuses through 2 screws with metal threaded recievers.
3. Big beefy fuses.
4. Uses 4 AA size batteries instead of a 9V.
5. Offers the missing features on the UT61E, namely the Backlight (nice and even too), Max/Min, Auto Power Off and the ability to turn off PC data logging to save battery life.
6. Good accuracy.
7. Lightning fast continuity tester.
8. Fast autoranging (the 8250C is faster though).
9. Built-in RS232 to USB interface conversion with CP2102, optically isolated by a pair of infrared LED and photodiode.

Cons:
1. Mushy range switch.
2. Build quality and design of the housing not as nice as the UT61E. With the UT61E once you put the back and front of the housing together it feels very robust even without the screws. With the 8240D how well you tighten the screws plays an important role. And because there is no metal threading for the housing screws the longevity and robustness really comes into question over time (after you've opened it up a few times).
3. A bit too bulky, especially when comparing to the UT61E.
4. Still no temperature measurement although the chipset has the function available.
5. Only down to 10pF resolution on capacitance measurement. Curiously UT61E does it down to 1pF resolution.
6. Aside from the beefy fuses the input protection looks wimpy. I can only see one spark gap and a tiny surface mounted MOV. The fuse terminals also seem a bit too close to the input jacks, although when closed the plastic case does offer a bit of separation but it's still not completely shielded.
7. Same as the UT61E, it suffers from a very high burden voltage problem for low current measurement, especially on the micro amp range.
8. At least 50% higher in price comparing to the UT61E.

The particular unit I've got has the user manual and software missing, although the supplier claims that they were included. I have tested the PC connectivity with the UltraDMM software though which supports the UT61E, and I can report that it works fine with this MS8240D. Another interesting thing about all 3 of these Mastech meters is that I don't see any aluminium shielding at all on the back or around the cases. I have no idea if the missing software or the lack of the shielding has any thing to do with these being special ordered units and not retail ones.

As it shares the same main chipset with the Uni-T UT61E I tend to compare them a lot with each other. The backlight and the other missing features from the UT61E surely are nice but at a much higher price level I'm not sure I would choose this over the UT61E. The less robust housing and mushy range switch also are a bit of a turn-off for me as well.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2012, 03:20:04 am »
That concluded the mini review of the 3 Mastech meters. I hope some of you would find some value in it.

Now the question as an eBay store owner: do you think any of these meters will sell? Would you buy any of them?

The following users thanked this post: 001

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf