Author Topic: Mastech MS5308 LCR meter with ESR measurement - on discount at the moment  (Read 152541 times)

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
Re: Mastech MS5308 LCR meter with ESR measurement - on discount at the moment
« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2012, 10:41:10 pm »
Unit-T uses 9V battery (6F22) or USB power connection for both their LCR meters.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2012, 02:34:39 am »
I have a Mastech 5308, and it suits my Hobby/home purpose. I probably wouldn't specify it for use on a production line. I've no doubt the Agilent is even better - and so it should be! But I just have no need for any such Betterness.  (I think I might have just made that word up).

I am curious how the Agilent can be better when it does not have 4 wire kelvin connections. The manual specs state the accuracy at the built in component clips (not kelvin).  All the attachments are obviously only 2 wire. It does have a user open short cal. feature but can that completely correct without a Kelvin connection on the attachments?  Not bashing the Agilent meter I just don't understand. Can some one enlighten me?

Offline jtronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2012, 04:33:29 am »
"LaurenceW"

have you measure ESR of capacitor without desoldering the capacitor form PCB???

does it gives correct reading??

Offline jtronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2012, 06:48:39 am »
please upload video demo of Mastech MS5308.

Offline LaurenceW

• Frequent Contributor
    • It's Time, Jim, but not as we know it
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2012, 03:23:03 pm »
Yes I have, plenty of times, and yes it does work (within the limits that I described earlier about interference from other nearby components. You MUST take these into account).

Sorry - I don't have the to put videos together. There is a LOT of info and pictures about various mid-price LCR/ESR meters around this forum. No point in me duplicating that in a movie.
If you don't measure, you don't get.

Offline DEHiCKA

• Contributor
« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2012, 08:23:01 pm »
Got for the sale price of $150 + $45 shipping so cheaper than another source $211 free shipping .
I got mine for $140 at the local store. Full package with the case and averything. I'm pretty sure there must be the way to get it even cheaper from china.

Offline KD0CAC John

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2012, 09:19:50 pm »
The $150 was from China + $45 shipping .
The $211 - free shipping was a US source .

Offline jwrtiger

• Contributor
« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2012, 03:04:29 am »
I made a little video review of the Mastech MS5308.

John

http://youtu.be/9el9mW5woSM
John

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2012, 12:25:54 pm »
Great review!

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109 on: November 29, 2012, 12:28:57 pm »
I made a little video review of the Mastech MS5308.

John

http://youtu.be/9el9mW5woSM

Excellent review indeed. Aside from being a bit too bulky it looks like a very nice and feature rich LCR meter!
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

Online Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #110 on: November 29, 2012, 01:01:40 pm »
Nice review John. I was hoping to see it in action doing in circuit ESR however.

Offline KD0CAC John

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #111 on: November 29, 2012, 03:05:58 pm »
Good video , added to bookmarks to use as better manual .
Thanks

Offline jwrtiger

• Contributor
« Reply #112 on: November 29, 2012, 07:04:37 pm »
Glad you guys liked the review.

Nice review John. I was hoping to see it in action doing in circuit ESR however.

Lightages,  I had a hard time with this video because I want to do a lot more but was worried about the video length.  I sure understand your comment and it would be nice to cover that topic along with more details on D, Q, and series and parallel modelling.  Maybe a second video on the applications of an LCR meter/tester.
John

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2012, 09:06:01 pm »
I also enjoyed your video John.
Not only some ESR action but some in circuit cap testing would be entertaining.

Did you resolve the mystery of the power supply causing the MS5308 to go inaccurate? 
Does this only occur when the MS5308 is powered on or when you turn it off and swap power sources as well?
Perhaps connect it to your lab supply instead to quickly rule it out.

I'm interested in one now after watching the video but I'd like to power mine from the mains.
Am interested if anyone else can reproduce this?

AC Test is at 33:26
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 09:10:01 pm by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline jwrtiger

• Contributor
« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2012, 09:18:37 pm »
Hi Shock,

I haven't done anymore testing of  the problem with the power supply, DCR, RP, and Rs.  I hope to check it out further in the next couple of days and will post my results.  I also would like it to be connected to the mains most of the time.  I actually like that it is big and bulky because my main interest was in a bench LCR meter.
John

alm

« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2012, 09:35:19 pm »
Good review! I agree with your decision to limit the length, it's better to do a follow up video for extra content. Is the (loaded) voltage from the AC power supply the same as from the 8 AAs? Based on your results, it seems to me that the current in resistor test mode changes with the power supply voltage (someone screwed up the constant current source?). Try hooking it up to a bench supply and varying the voltage from AC power supply voltage down to 8 almost empty cells (~8 V if they're all in series) and see how this affects the results.

Offline KD0CAC John

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2012, 10:24:18 pm »
When I noticed the length of the video , I was a little concerned .
But once I started watching , I felt like it could go longer , much like a good movie , its hard to be too long :)

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2012, 04:04:00 am »
Hi Shock,

I haven't done anymore testing of  the problem with the power supply, DCR, RP, and Rs.  I hope to check it out further in the next couple of days and will post my results.  I also would like it to be connected to the mains most of the time.  I actually like that it is big and bulky because my main interest was in a bench LCR meter.

Something occurred to me as I watched you plug in the external power - does the unit perhaps require a recalibration after a change in power source? I couldn't tell if you tested for that.

Offline grenert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #118 on: November 30, 2012, 04:59:31 am »
Hi, John.
Great, informative video!  For what it's worth, I did a very brief test using my DE-5000, which has the same chipset, and it does not vary resistance measurement with internal or external power source.  It runs on a 9V battery, and the external DC pack (a switcher) is also 9V.  Hope you can sort out your problem.

Offline FrankenPC

• Supporter
« Reply #119 on: December 04, 2012, 09:26:12 pm »
Hi, noob here looking for a LCR/ESR meter.  Question is, why would you opt for the Mastech when you could spend a few bucks more and get the smart tweezers?  Is it because of the large screen readability?  Or is it the higher frequency range? 

These tweezers: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170952376553?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
Chinglish poetry: In the hot summer. In the car ran full steam. It tastes strange. For this worry? With this fan will bring you a cool summer. Suitable for all kinds of cars. Agricultural vehicles. Van. Tricycle.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2012, 09:31:10 pm »
Accuracy specs on that are pretty poor for the money.

Offline jwrtiger

• Contributor
« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2012, 02:45:00 am »
Hi all,  Update on the Mastech LCR Tester problem with the resistance values changing when using the external supply.  I have not done a complete test yet buy I patched in my linear bench power supply and the reading from internal battery to external power source had no change at all.   So it looks like it is my Mastech's LCR external switching power supply.   I am going to see if I can figure out what the actual problem was with the supply.  I thought I could lift the bottom label and undo some screws but there are no screws so I guess it is glued together.  Doesn't seem to have any clips/ears.  I don't plan to contact the seller because I have the parts on hand to make a power supply at basically no cost and I will fuse it and it will be linear instead of switching.  I hope in the future others can report and let me know if they had a problem with the external power supply.

John

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2012, 08:28:30 am »
Hi, noob here looking for a LCR/ESR meter.  Question is, why would you opt for the Mastech when you could spend a few bucks more and get the smart tweezers?  Is it because of the large screen readability?  Or is it the higher frequency range? 
Like why would you buy a smart tweezer? The mastech is properly, properly 100$ less than that and is a PROPER, PROPER LCR meter with Dissipation factor measurement and Series/Parallel mode does the tweezer have that?
You have Q (damping) factor, and phase factor
Does it have RS232 either?
Well really asking these sort of questions get these sort of answers, a proper LCR meter doesn't just measure caps inductors and resistors + ESR they measure a whole variety of factors too and ... trust me the higher frequency is useful for low value caps as it increases your accuracy unlike say at 10KHz

Offline KD0CAC John

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2012, 01:47:11 pm »
POWER SUPPLY vs. BATTERY
I finally picked up a large package of batteries , in order to do the test .
I powered up the meter , then went through the calibration procedure , then found a NOS 3 watt 100 ohm carbon resistor that was waiting to get put away .
It measured about 109.?? [ this was yesterday and did not write down the last digits ] and with the meter plugged in to the power supply , with batteries installed , I pulled the plug from the PS at the meter and no change to the reading , even at the the lowest number .??? , plugged back in PS and again no change .
Again thanks for the video . 

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2012, 03:54:06 pm »
Most likely the switching supply puts wideband noise into the supply rails, and this adds noise to the measurement, thus the errors.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf