Author Topic: Rigol DG822 Function Generator Errant Sweep Behavior Help Please CLOSED  (Read 1053 times)

Offline t1dTopic starter

• Super Contributor
EDIT: 7/21/22 - There doesn't seem to be a problem with the Function Generator, after all. The problem seems to be operator error. So, I am marking this thread as "Closed" and starting a new, separate thread in which to ask operational questions.

RE: Rigol DG822 Function Generator
Serial # DG8A204201741
FIRMWARE #00.01.08.00.01
Hobbyist level skills, with nice lab equipment that is smarter than I am.

The Problem – First time trying to use the Sweep Function
When I select the Sweep output function, it illuminates. However, the Continuous output function remains illuminated and the unit continuously outputs the lowest frequency of the sweep range. (I am sweeping a sine wave from 20 to 20KHz, so 20Hz is being output, continuously.) This continuous output trips the trigger on my oscilloscope, so I can't capture the single sweep. When I press the trigger button, on the FG822, the 20-20KHz sweep is output, but the unit immediately reverts to outputting the 20Hz frequency, continuously.

I have upgraded the firmware to the most current version (00.02.06.01.) However, this did not solve the problem, or change the errant behavior.

So, I am thinking that this is a lingering bug, or that the manual does not fully explain the Sweep Function setting protocol.

Here’s my Settings Protocol
- Sweep Function
- Sign Wave
- 20Hz to 20KHz
-1Vpp
- Linear
- Manual
- Markers = Off. I have not set any Markers, because I did not think that they were in play.

Are Markers the key? Or, is there some other step that I am missing, like an “enter” button that captures the new settings and I am not seeing it to push it?

I have put in two calls to Rigol and left word for a callback on their automated voice system. As yet, I have not heard from them.

Suggestions, please and thank you.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 07:20:17 pm by t1d »

Offline t1dTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DG822 Function Generator Errant Sweep Behavior Help Please
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 09:55:25 pm »
Here is what the pattern looks like...

Offline t1dTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DG822 Function Generator Errant Sweep Behavior Help Please
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 08:01:17 am »
Okay, this video clued me in on some things...

I am thinking that my Function Generator is acting normally and properly, in terms of how Function Generators are meant to operate. Meaning, that the continuous 20Hz signal output is a reference signal and is supposed to be there. That means that my issue is a lack of knowledge as to how to synchronize the Function Generator and the Oscilloscope to make a triggered sweep.

IIUC, that is done with a signal, which may be a pulse, or a ramping voltage, etc, which runs on a second, concurrent channel. If this lack of knowledge is truly my state of affairs, I would appreciate someone providing a link to a "back-to-basics" video that explains (more in depth) how to set up a Function Generator and Scope to create and capture a sweep, using a trigger.

Thank you for your help.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf