Author Topic: Mid-level bench multimeter  (Read 4980 times)

Offline OfidinoTopic starter

Mid-level bench multimeter
« on: October 18, 2018, 10:14:44 am »
Hello, everybody.
I am interested in acquiring a mid-level bench multimeter and have four models that I find interesting:

Keithley 2110
Hameg 8012
Fluke FLK-8808a
keysight 34450a

The price differences are not relevant because some of them I can acquire used, although revised and even with manufacturer's warranty.

Can you help me decide?

Thank you

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: Mid-level bench multimeter
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 12:02:43 pm »
FYI, the Fluke 8808A and Tektronix DMM4020 are the same meter. Depending on your country, one or the other may be cheaper, so be sure to compare!

The Keithley 2110 is a rebadge of some third-party meter, not a "true" Keithley.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 12:05:05 pm »
TTi 1908  is not bad instrument.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 12:37:59 pm »

Interesting. I was after one of them, the 1908P, but got put off by the lack of reviews anywhere. Does the continuity suck ass like some of their other older offerings?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 02:09:38 pm »

Interesting. I was after one of them, the 1908P, but got put off by the lack of reviews anywhere. Does the continuity suck ass like some of their other older offerings?
Well, there is one at Amazon. Perhaps you could ask the user about continuity speed.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 02:23:24 pm »
I don't have one, I just tried it maybe a year ago and was nice to use...
Didn't try continuity in detail.
I use my Fluke 73 for that (when I want combined diode/cont function) or one of Brymens, I like Brymen's implementation. I don't like heavily latched cont. because it filters out scratching that is noise in contact...

Offline particleman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 05:04:40 pm »
Don't laugh but I have had a Mastech 8050 for over 5 years now and it works really well. I also have  2 fluke 8800A and a Greenlee DM-820 handheld so its not like I don't have anything to compare it to. For under $400 I would recommend it to anyone. I use it just about daily. Just my 2cents

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 08:28:46 pm »
Find the ones with schematics and calibration know how :   may help in the future ?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 12:43:31 am »
With those meters, one can assume that they perform according to their specs.

so it is in the details, such as:
- rate selection (preferably not the same function as resolution)
- Filtering in HW or Sw or both or none?
- diode test voltage range
- AC only vs. AC+DC
- support for accessories, like probe factors

and of course, your display preference and the size/weight.

Do you refer to the HMC8012 from Hameg or the module HM8012?
The latter is quite below the other instruments in all aspects, while the HMC8012 might be the most advanced one.
Personally, I'd say the HMC or the Keithley.

Offline Jan Audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 02:29:03 pm »
Hameg HMC 8012 is made in E.U.

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 04:40:44 pm »
The Keithley I discard it, I have seen it the same with other brands and at a cheaper price so it makes me distrust and is also the most expensive of all.
The one I like the most is the Hameg (Rohde & schwarz) for the screen.
I've had an oscilloscope of this brand and it worked perfectly for years, until I lent it to them and they gave it back to me damaged.
Any other options within this price/performance range?

Offline trevwhite

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 04:59:56 pm »
Keithley might be rebadged but I have had one for a few years now and it's done me well. I would buy another. 

Can't say if it's the best but current integral measurement is very useful for low power measurements. PC software works but is basic. Powers up fast as well.

Trev

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 05:41:03 pm »
That is quite a nice model. The Keithley has marginally better accuracy (0.012% versus 0.015% of the Hameg) and frequency (300kHz versus 100kHz for the Hameg) and a very fast data logging: 50.000 readings at 4-1/2 digits, while the Hameg goes to 200. If that is important to you, the Hameg is out.

However, the Hameg has 10G\$\Omega\$ input impedance in a few ranges, goes pretty high in resistance (250M\$\Omega\$) and has a hefty 5V Diode test. wins in many other specifications and it is a 400.000 count meter (the Keithley seems to be 100.000 count). Capacitance and Frequency counter on both units lose by a large margin to any portable meter.

The Keysight is quite similar to the Hameg, but with 100.000 counts and worse diode tester.

I think the Keysight and the Keithley panels have a better arrangement. The Keysight display has better visibility and contrast, but the Hameg seems to have much more information with soft buttons which may help with usability (or not, depending on the software).

Here in the US the Keithley is the cheapest, followed by the Keysight and then the much higher priced Hameg. Interesting that it is reversed in Spain.

https://cdn.rohde-schwarz.com/pws/dl_downloads/dl_common_library/dl_brochures_and_datasheets/pdf_1/HAMEG_DB_EN_HMC8012.pdf
https://www.tek.com/datasheet/broad-purpose-digital-multimeters/model-2110-5-1-2-digit-dual-display-digital-multimeter
https://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5991-1133EN.pdf
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 07:25:54 pm »
The Keithley I discard it, I have seen it the same with other brands and at a cheaper price so it makes me distrust and is also the most expensive of all.
The one I like the most is the Hameg (Rohde & schwarz) for the screen.
I've had an oscilloscope of this brand and it worked perfectly for years, until I lent it to them and they gave it back to me damaged.
Any other options within this price/performance range?
The HMC 8012 does have a nice dual measurement display, the yellow on black does stand out well and is very visible from a distance like the much cheaper SDM3055.
For 450 Euro with a 3 year warranty and Cal cert it might be of interest to you.
https://www.siglenteu.com/digital-multimeters/sdm3055-5-%C2%BD-digits-dual-display-digital-multimeters/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 10:54:44 pm »
I don't think the Siglent SDM3055 is up to the HMC8012.
The SDM3055 displays 150,000 counts versus 480,000 of the HMC8012.
The HMC8012 has AC+DC measurement, something I can't find in the SDM3055 brochure.
The measurement memory is only limited by the capacity of the flash drive we use.
The HMC8012 simultaneously displays three measurements e.g. Current, Voltage and Power or the mathematical functions.
In addition, user-programmed sensors can be used.
And how fault-tolerant is Siglent? Never forgot to change a probe site? What happens when there is a voltage spike?
Brands like Rohde & Schwarz, Fluke, Keysight, Textronic, etc. have earned their fame for something.

It is for these reasons that I make my enquiry, comparing brochures is arduous, but it is easy, another question is to know the product. And I don't know it.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 11:19:27 pm »
Further info is in the User manual.
http://www.siglenteu.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2017/10/SDM3055x_UserManual_UM06035-E02A.pdf
P51/111, the tables shows the range of dual measurements available.

In the first few pages the ratings are listed for each of the front panel connectors.

A SDM3065X I sold to member Defpom, he blew a fuse on the PCB by making an error but otherwise didn't damage the unit.

When the 3055 was first released the firmware was poor and there were a # of problems but that's all in the past.
If you look harder online you'll find much about the early problems however be aware these are a good unit now.

If you need a higher count DMM the maybe a SDM3065X is a better choice.
https://www.siglenteu.com/digital-multimeters/sdm3065x-6-%C2%BD-digits-dual-display-digital-multimeters/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 11:54:23 pm »
The price difference compared to Rigol or Siglent is so small you better buy the real deal like a Tektronix/Fluke/Keithley (one company nowadays) or Keysight DMM. These are the companies with a very long history in metrology and building high end DMMs. Besides that the A-brands still know what service and standing behind their product means.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, AgiRigSig, Neomys Sapiens

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2018, 08:50:01 am »
I semi agree. Pricing is slightly more disparate though.

Honestly I think the best deal is that there are a lot of cheap working 34401A’s around. One of those plus cal is probably better deal than a lot of new meters plus the reference in it has aged already. Average £300-350 here. Cal is £70-80. Can actually get a service manual for it too. Has serial port and talks SCPI so automation and logging is available.  New comparable meter from a Keysight or Tek is more than £1000.

Siglent/Rigol I understand the economic argument but I’d rather have a 34401A. It’s a way more mature product which is significantly better quality. The TTi meter is probably fine but they have stopped issuing service info for their meters and there is no info. Hameg I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in the wild other than in educational establishments where they got a hefty discount.

GW I am impressed with though. Decent kit for the money.

Offline Jan Audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2018, 12:55:19 pm »
I am also a very big fan of the HMC8012 display, the diode test also seems good enough range.
I bought the Aneng8008 for 17 euro,  i saved more then 800 euro, i am only doing 12 volt stuff max 30 ( -15 +15 ).

After buying i really starting to like handheld multimeters more and more, at this point if i would buy a meter i would go for the Hioki DT4282, it has super fast readings.
What is better then measuring anywhere ?, no batterys : true.

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2018, 01:37:15 pm »
I am also a very big fan of the HMC8012 display, the diode test also seems good enough range.
I bought the Aneng8008 for 17 euro,  i saved more then 800 euro, i am only doing 12 volt stuff max 30 ( -15 +15 ).

After buying i really starting to like handheld multimeters more and more, at this point if i would buy a meter i would go for the Hioki DT4282, it has super fast readings.
What is better then measuring anywhere ?, no batterys : true.

I dont call this one mid-level bench meter ?  go for an 34401A   lots of forum support. if you find one with an "not to dimm vfd", you will be happy.

Offline cowasaki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2018, 07:19:50 pm »
I have a Keighley 2100 which is pretty good.  Most important questions are your budget and what features you need or want.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf