Author Topic: MiniPro TL866CS ** How do I view BIN data after having READ the am29f800BB  (Read 7706 times)

Offline cmrnprk5Topic starter

I am new to using any programmer, so I hope that I state my question correctly.
I am trying to VIEW BIN data ( BIN data from an AMD am29f800BB- removed from a Bosch ME7.1 ECU *Audi*)
I can confirm that IC is NOT BLANK, having checked, using the "Blank Check" on V6.10 of the Minipro TL866CS software.     The exact problem that I am having is, after I perform the "READ" function and the window states that the READ was successful, I am unable to access, view any of the BIN data. ( I am trying to view certain addresses to determine certain PID boost information, etc. All I can see, is what is always visible on the screen,
e.g., FF FF FF ad nauseum from addresses 00000000 to 0007FFFF.
I have exhausted every search in this great forum and Google, too.   
I am sure that I am doing something fundamentally wrong, however, I cannot find any help. I should mention that the only manual that I could find is in Chinese and from what I have heard, the rudimentary English version is basic, at best.

So, if anyone can help me learn how to VIEW what was successfully READ from the AMD am29f800BB-70SE using the MiniPro TL866CS, I'd be most appreciative.
Thank you!

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
I am trying to VIEW BIN data ( BIN data from an AMD am29f800BB- removed from a Bosch ME7.1 ECU *Audi*)
I can confirm that IC is NOT BLANK, having checked, using the "Blank Check" on V6.10 of the Minipro TL866CS software.     The exact problem that I am having is, after I perform the "READ" function and the window states that the READ was successful, I am unable to access, view any of the BIN data. ( I am trying to view certain addresses to determine certain PID boost information, etc. All I can see, is what is always visible on the screen,
I am sure that I am doing something fundamentally wrong, however, I cannot find any help. I should mention that the only manual that I could find is in Chinese and from what I have heard, the rudimentary English version is basic, at best.

So, if anyone can help me learn how to VIEW what was successfully READ from the AMD am29f800BB-70SE using the MiniPro TL866CS, I'd be most appreciative.
Thank you!
If you actually successfully read the contents, it should display the contents in the hex editor by default. It might be helpful to post some screenshots of the chip in the reader as well as what shows up on your screen when you read, etc.

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
Hi, not in front of my TL866 right now, but do you have the "Device ID check box" un-checked??? Possibly the reason if the check box is checked to read it. :-//

Hi, not in front of my TL866 right now, but do you have the "Device ID check box" un-checked??? Possibly the reason if the check box is checked to read it. :-//

No, i unchecked the ""Device ID Check"", as having it checked prevented any function at all in the operation.   I am stumped!    So, should there be anything that I would have to do to display / view the BIN data after the successful READ??   

Thank you for your reply to my problem!!

Thank you!
If you actually successfully read the contents, it should display the contents in the hex editor by default. It might be helpful to post some screenshots of the chip in the reader as well as what shows up on your screen when you read, etc.

I will post some screenshots of the Minipro screen and, also, of the chip inserted in the reader as soon as I get home from work. ( long day ).

I do see your point about the need for a successful read in order to display data contents in the hex editor. However, i do get a ""SUCCESSFULLY READ"" indication after doing the READ operation.  And I am certain that this chip contains 1024mb of data, as I Was able to establish commection via Galletto ( boot mode grounding ), some time ago.  And, the ECU works perfectly, which means there has to be readable data on the Flash chip.

Hopefully you will be able to determine a fault when I post the screenshots.
Thank you!!

Thank you!

Ok, I've attached screen shots of the Minipro "Read" process, from "BLANK CHECK" to "READ Successful" to no data in Hex Editor.
Device is: AMD Flash am29f800BB-SE70
Pic #1 Screenshot after "BLANK CHECK"
Pic #2 Screenshot showing a "SUCCESSFUL READ"
Pic #3 Screenshot: Hex Editor does NOT display BIN data ( chip data )

Any clues as to how I can DISPLAY the BIN data from the chip after SUCCESSFUL READ?????

I am stumped as to how to view the BIN data that, apparently, was successfully read.

Any help, or ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!!

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
Why do you say it does not display the bin data? Did you expect something different in the chip?
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
It does not only display FF FF. It also displays FE....Have a closer look on the data

The checksum also point in that direction.

First of all I would make sure the Electronic ID can be read. If this fails, something is wrong with your connections to the chip, or your adapter is wrong.

If you post the bin file we can see if this looks OK or not.

It does not only display FF FF. It also displays FE....Have a closer look on the data

The checksum also point in that direction.

First of all I would make sure the Electronic ID can be read. If this fails, something is wrong with your connections to the chip, or your adapter is wrong.

If you post the bin file we can see if this looks OK or not.

Ok, I've attached screenshots of the file that I would like to WRITE to this chip. For reference purposes, the attached screenshots are of a file that is almost identical to the BIN file / data that is currently on the chip ( minor differences for automatic vs. manual transmission parameters, but essentially what I would expect to see displayed in the Hex Editor of the Minipro TL866CS software. )

Note: As for the adapter possibly being wrong, it's the adapter that I purchased for use in the Minipro programmer. it's PSOP 44 to TSOP 40; Top & Base boards; Red with LED indicator that shows that the chip is being accessed successfully.
As for "Device ID" being checked; Having read several blogs and watched several videos from those who posted the process on programming the AMD am29f800BB chip, they indicate to "UNcheck" the "Device ID", as it wont allow function if checked. Why, I don't know.

The attachments show the BIN data in both BINARY & Hexidecimal.

Thank you for any help you can offer me in trying to view the CHIP's READ data in the hex editor.

Why do you say it does not display the bin data? Did you expect something different in the chip?

Yes sir, I expect to see something very similar to the last screenshots that I posted, from the TUNERPRO Hex Editor ( 2 pics with Hexidecimal & Binary data that is almost exactly what I should be seeing after reading the chip in this programmer.) All I am able to view after READ in the Minipro utility is FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF, etc....

If you are able to see the attachments that I posted in my last response, there should be 2  screenshots. One in Hexidecimal and the other in Binary. Both screenshots are not from the Minipro software, the are from another hex editor from an automotive ECU tuning utility.

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
I suspect that you are doing something fundamentally wrong.

The TL866 can read and display the device ID even if it does not match what is expected based on the selected device (although the selected device must be "close enough" in order to read the ID successfully). However, since the TL866 explicitly supports the AM29F800BB device, it should be able to verify the device ID and will work with the checkbox checked. It is usually when using a compatible chip from another manufacturer that the checkbox is unchecked to force operation with a device ID mismatch.

There is a button at the top to read device ID. For you chip, the datasheet says the Manufacturer ID is 0x01 and the device ID (for the BB version) is 0x2258. Read it and compare. If you can't successfully read the Device ID then you can't read the contents either.

I suspect that you are doing something fundamentally wrong.

The TL866 can read and display the device ID even if it does not match what is expected based on the selected device (although the selected device must be "close enough" in order to read the ID successfully). However, since the TL866 explicitly supports the AM29F800BB device, it should be able to verify the device ID and will work with the checkbox checked. It is usually when using a compatible chip from another manufacturer that the checkbox is unchecked to force operation with a device ID mismatch.

There is a button at the top to read device ID. For you chip, the datasheet says the Manufacturer ID is 0x01 and the device ID (for the BB version) is 0x2258. Read it and compare. If you can't successfully read the Device ID then you can't read the contents either.

Macboy, thank you and you are absolutely correct. Out of desperation, I removed the Minipro program, entirely, from my laptop and reinstalled it from banggood.    Then, I reinserted the flash chip and this time, I counted the legs on the chip and found there to be 48 and not 44 ( why I had thought there were 44 legs is beyond me. I was IGNORANT. ).
So, as you said it would, the Minipro recognized the am29f800BB and after the READ, it immediately displayed the data contents.  Problem solved!
I thank everyone that posted to help me, especially "Macboy"" for telling me that I was doing something "fundamentally wrong". That statement stirred my frustration and caused a chain of events that led to the solution and showed my stupidity and ignorance. :-//
I am have since been able to change certain MAP Parameters and soldered onto the Bosch ME7.1 ECU.  and the car started right up and runs better than ever.  I saved about $500 by doing the work, instead of having the chip replaced and flashed by MTM.
Thank you!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf