Author Topic: Very low and accurate inducdance and capactiance meter ?  (Read 13802 times)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Re: Very low and accurate inducdance and capactiance meter ?
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2017, 07:16:07 am »
So why are they all so expensive ? And why aren't there a bunch of mid range knock off's for $100s of $ rather than into the $1000 s ?

Measuring capacitance and inductance or impedance results are tightly related with frequency.

Most low end hand held are merely max out from 100 Hz up 100 Kilo Hz.

High end ones usually can do scanning from few Hz up to Mega Hertz range, and able to scan the DUT's impedance profile, this feature it self made these high ends differ from cheap handhelds.

An example capacitance result from 4 digits priced LCR meter, courtesy of The Electrician.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 07:20:01 am by BravoV »

Offline lordvader88Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2017, 05:28:19 pm »
you also have this 0.01pF capacitor by roman black
http://www.romanblack.com/onesec/CapMeter.htm
interesting, would make a fun project

Offline 1audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2017, 06:24:36 am »
Tektronix 130 L-C meter will do 3pF or 3uH full scale in it's lowest ranges.

A great advantage of the 130 L,C meter (what it says on the front panel of mine, although the manual says "L-C") is that you can build a shielded test jig in a metal box with coaxial connectors (UHF with teflon cable are nice) and easily null out about 75 pF of stray capacitance (coarse and fine null knobs) before connecting the unknown capacitor.  Using duct tape to hold the cables and box rigidly to the bench along with the meter is a good idea.

You are overlooking its ability to shield elements you don't want to measure. It was originally designed for measuring inter electrode capacitance in tubes and CRT's. You can guard elements that would distort your measurement. For small cap values there is nothing like it. You can actually use a coax on the UHF connector as a sort of probe successfully in ways you would nexer think to work.
The bridges are nice (I have 3 ESI Videobridges) but not so hot for really small values. The old Boonton bridges are good for RF components as well but a VNA does the same easier.

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2017, 06:34:25 am »

The bridges are nice (I have 3 ESI Videobridges) but not so hot for really small values.

Depends on the bridge, my 1620 has aF resolution, is that small enough ?  ;) The 1608 also has no problem with small values. Even my HP4260 can measure pF values without a problem. Most bridges I have, have a guard connection.
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline 1audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2017, 06:41:52 am »
Bridges are nice, high accuracy precision instruments. The video bridges have very low ranges and 6 digits for lots of resolution but for small parts values you need to switch fixtures or struggle with kelvin probes on tiny parts and really a PITA for "in circuit" stuff. Fine for sorting caps inductors and resistors. Measuring gate cap on a Jfet -not easy.

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2017, 07:49:43 pm »
TI FDC1004 For caps and roll your own...

Steve
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf