Author Topic: Multimeter / Bench Meter Delimma (--Fluke 87)  (Read 6942 times)

Offline DanielSpokaneTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Multimeter / Bench Meter Delimma (--Fluke 87)
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2018, 06:58:30 pm »
Thanks for the recommendations. Very helpful.

So I'm curious... is no one impressed with the Siglent SDM3055? I thought it looked like a pretty good value with some pretty exciting features. I will give some thought to the other options presented. But... still have a hard time not leaning towards the SDM3055. Maybe it's just the "shiny new" toy effect? :)

Offline lem_ix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2018, 07:21:10 pm »
I would take the Siglent, decent price and fresh cal. Nothing against used instruments but you need to have the ability to verify their performance. Here's a vid of the SDM3045

SDM3065

There's an older one of the 3055 by signal path but they've supposedly upgraded the software since (faster).

Not sure about the differences between the meters besides the counts maybe someone can add info.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2018, 07:46:48 pm »
Thanks for the recommendations. Very helpful.

So I'm curious... is no one impressed with the Siglent SDM3055? I thought it looked like a pretty good value with some pretty exciting features. I will give some thought to the other options presented. But... still have a hard time not leaning towards the SDM3055. Maybe it's just the "shiny new" toy effect? :)
Unless any video researched is quite recent I'd be inclined to take it with a grain of salt.
As you're probably aware SDM3055 was Siglent's first venture into a bench DMM and initial FW versions were as Dave would say pretty 'how ya doing'.
They are much much better now and I've never had bad feedback from customers disappointed with their purchase.
The SDM3065X shootout linked above was with my demo unit and after a while Defpom came back and bought it from me. You can see he uses it in many of his videos.

Dan, you already have Siglent gear so you should be able to buy with confidence.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2018, 07:01:37 am »
Thanks for the comments and videos. Yes, I do have Siglent gear and have been very pleased. Looking over those videos is really solidifying my desire to get one. Boy the 3065x looks pretty cool... but a big price jump from the 3055. Think it's worth it?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2018, 07:44:20 am »
Thanks for the comments and videos. Yes, I do have Siglent gear and have been very pleased. Looking over those videos is really solidifying my desire to get one. Boy the 3065x looks pretty cool... but a big price jump from the 3055. Think it's worth it?
How far do you want to fall down the volt-nuttery hole is probably a better question.  :)

I've had both as my personal units and they double as demo units but if it's just for normal bench use, 3055 is what I'd pick. Initially only a 3065X could have the SC1016 16ch scanner option but now we can have it in 3055 as well but in both cases it must be factory fitted.
Siglent have yet to add an X to 3055 but for all intensive purposes it's now an X after adding the newer rubber bumpers to the earlier models.
They only reason I now have the 3065X is I can get them at trade and it's just one demo for me that covers all models.  :phew:
For the bulk of measurement 10mV resolution is accurate enough unless you must have 'the ducks nuts'.

With the good $ saved instead of 3065X I'd get a good pair of Smart Tweezers then you won't want for much more on the bench.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2018, 06:03:42 am »
Well... I just placed my order for a Siglent SDM3055. Should arrive on Friday. I'm excited. And for good measure I found a guy selling a nearly new 87V that I'm going to buy and will list my 87. That should be a nice upgrade too. Now I just need to order the DER EE DE-5000 and I'm set.

Hopefully that's not overkill! ... but will be nice to have. :)

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2018, 06:11:19 am »
I found a guy selling a nearly new 87V that I'm going to buy and will list my 87.

Oh, suuuuure you will.

Be sure to post a link to that.  :popcorn:

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2018, 06:28:43 am »
Haha!... yeah we will see if I can muster up the gumption to actually list my beloved 87! :)

Anyone have any recommendation on a good value test lead kit?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2018, 06:35:48 am »
Or doesn't necessarily have to be "value"... how about just a good test lead kit?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2018, 02:49:50 pm »
I am considering these:

https://www.pomonaelectronics.com/products/dmm-test-leads-and-probes/test-companion-kit-fluke-tektronix-meters

Anyone have any experince with these? ... I assume they will fit a Siglent meter?

Any others to consider?

Online metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2018, 02:54:30 pm »
Don't know about that kit, but Pomona is generally very good quality.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2018, 02:56:55 pm »
Shoot... I was looking at the price of just the leads. Looks like the whole kit is $175. Hmmm that is pretty spendy. Might have to shop a bit more.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2018, 04:38:59 pm »
I am considering these:

https://www.pomonaelectronics.com/products/dmm-test-leads-and-probes/test-companion-kit-fluke-tektronix-meters

Anyone have any experince with these? ... I assume they will fit a Siglent meter?
4mm shrouded banana, yep they'll fit.
Unless the meter's to be on a high shelf you might be better with straight banana plugs rather than 90's.

Any others to consider?
4 wire Kelvin leads.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2018, 11:24:56 pm »
Shoot... I was looking at the price of just the leads. Looks like the whole kit is $175. Hmmm that is pretty spendy. Might have to shop a bit more.
FWIW, I'd suggest taking a look at the Probemaster 9104S Electronic Deluxe Test Lead Kit (S version uses straight retractable banana connectors, which will work with anything IME). Much better value than the Pomona Kit.

Their spring loaded test leads are better made than what Fluke/Pomona offers, and would be an excellent addition if you'll be working on a lot of SMD.

Online CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2018, 04:02:28 am »
Well... I just placed my order for a Siglent SDM3055. Should arrive on Friday. I'm excited. And for good measure I found a guy selling a nearly new 87V that I'm going to buy and will list my 87. That should be a nice upgrade too. Now I just need to order the DER EE DE-5000 and I'm set.

Hopefully that's not overkill! ... but will be nice to have. :)

I purchased a SDM3055 about 2 months ago and have been very happy with it so far. I have not had any problems with it at all, and it really is a joy to use.

And also agree with nanofrog, the probemaster leads are highly recommended.

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2018, 10:21:57 am »
I dont find the 87v exciting ???   you have brymen, hioki, sanwa meters who have good features speed  etc... not too highly priced in some cases.

Fluke lost me past the 83 series III and the same with 87 series III, stupidity to start in ac modes and have to switch in dc instead  erk

With patience you can find very clean fluke 187 - 189  or even 287 -  289 series too ...  to me there is no dilemna at all, it depends on your needs, and how much youre willing to go or pay

The SDM3055 has a nice display :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf