Author Topic: Multimeter to pair with DS1054Z  (Read 4423 times)

Offline ajo518Topic starter

• Contributor
Multimeter to pair with DS1054Z
« on: July 18, 2016, 01:52:55 am »
I am a Electrical Engineering student and am looking at getting a proper multimeter instead of the cheapie I currently have as I am working for a semester and don't have access to all the awesome stuff at school.  >:(
I am also going to get a DS1054Z Rigol to use as well.

I am mainly looking at a fluke 87v(Used) or a 17B+(New). 
They have about a $100 price difference, but with having a dso as well is it work the extra dollars to go for the 87v or am I better off with the 17B+?

I mainly will use it for electronics projects, but do do the occasional mains work, so true rms would be nice, but I've survived without it so far...

Opinions? :-//

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
Re: Multimeter to pair with DS1054Z
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 03:09:17 am »
I would go for the Fluke 87V.  The 17B+ is NOT a True RMS meter for AC.

I have the Fluke 87V, Fluke 117 and Fluke 334 clamp-on meters and happy with all of them.  Was looking at a bench meter for some time but ended up with the 87V instead.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 07:05:47 am by MarkF »

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 04:49:41 am »
There is certainly nothing wrong with buying Fluke, I have a 189 myself.  But I bought a couple of Dave's rebadged BM235s and they are very nice meters with a great spec and True RMS.  And they cost a LOT less than my 189.

I'm not a fan of using high dollar meters on mains.  I don't need to know the voltage down to the last millivolt because there is nothing I could do about it anyway.  It's either there or it isn't.  I use a solenoid style tester https://www.amazon.com/Ideal-61-076-Vol-Con-Tester/dp/B000BVKUS

Maybe someday later on, you can get a bench style multimeter.  It will add a bit of precision to your measurements but I have always wondered why I would care. So, I don't have one.  It's kind of like "design with a micrometer, cut with an axe, grind to fit and paint to match".  I'm just not into that much precision because there is seldom anything I can do about it.

Thinking about all of the 5% or even 1% parts I use, what's the point of having 5 or 6 digits of readout?

ETA:  I just bought a DS1054Z and I like it a lot.  It's a great scope!

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 04:52:30 am by rstofer »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 05:04:22 am »
Uni-T UT139C less than $50. Its is a pretty good multimeter with OK input protection. Get two. Two OK meters are usually better than one super meter.

Amprobe AM530 at around $55. Same as above

Amprobe  AM270 at around $110. Better built.

Brymen BM235 or BM257s. Both great meters at slightly different prices.

Brymen BM829S or BM867 at around $170. There are trade offs between them. Pick your poison.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 06:12:45 am »
I just ordered this today

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C3IQDE8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

because it can record data

This and one of the Amprobes would be a good combo (I have one of these also)
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline BMack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 06:13:35 am »
To be honest, it's hard to be happy with using other DMMs after you buy a Fluke 87V. The speed and features just make it hard to go back. It is heavy and large but it's all the meter you'll need and it will last a long time. Use that then keep an eye out for some deals on a backup, I just saw a 87V go on eBay for $160 plus shipping about two hours ago. I bought a 87III for $90 last week locally for a backup replacing my 115 backup which I hope to sell and recoup most of that money.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 05:19:37 pm »
I just saw a 87V go on eBay for $160 plus shipping about two hours ago. I bought a 87III for $90 last week locally for a backup replacing my 115 backup which I hope to sell and recoup most of that money.
$160 for an used 87V and $90 for an used 87 III are good, below market prices.

An used original Fluke 87 I would cost around $100 on ebay, craigslist, etc.  The upside of the original is you get a good user and service manual with schematics.  There are no schematics for the 87 III and 87V.

Differences between all models are explained, somewhat, at

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/i-need-to-know-the-history-of-fluke-87-(-1998-2010-)/

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 07:08:03 pm »
I'd say either Fluke 87V or Bremen 857a. I have the former at home and the latter at work and both are great meters with proven safety record.

IIRC i paid the equivalent of about 130EUR for the used Fluke. Might be different where you live,  though it's a pretty rare find here in Poland where I live (I can't see your country as I'm on Tapatalk).

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk.

I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 11:11:50 pm »
Im in the states so I can get just about any of these on the used market. I appreciate all of the suggestions! :-+

How concerned should I be about getting a used Meter?

Also the Dave's Brymen meters have capacitance measurement right? Not a deal breaker, but nice to have...

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 12:43:45 am »
Also the Dave's Brymen meters have capacitance measurement right? Not a deal breaker, but nice to have...

Did you check the spreadsheet ?
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 12:51:40 am »
Im in the states so I can get just about any of these on the used market. I appreciate all of the suggestions! :-+

Yes, there is a capacitance measurement.  It is combined with the diode measurement and you need to tap the SELECT button to get to the right function.
I bought them primarily to support the cause (I have no idea if the add any support).  My grandson is starting college as a potential EE so I need to get him tooled up.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 02:43:20 am »
Like buying anything used you should consider the following.

1) Has it been used or abused?

Some meters are abused (subjected to way too much current, energy, voltage, etc).  The input protection components on the pcb may be bad, but won't be obviously blown.

2) No warranty from manufacturer.

Fluke will not honor any warranty on used meters. (* note n1 *)

3) Check its condition.

Assume the meter has been dropped.  Check for cracks, broken plastic pieces (inside and out), etc.

4) Verify everything is working.

Test every function.  For fuses, take them out of the meter and verify they are the proper HRC size and rating.  I bought an used Fluke 87 locally and I tested the fuse as per manual.  It wasn't until I got home that I found out my HRC fuse was a steel threaded bolt (* note n2 *).

A member here sent me a real blown 440mA Bussmann fuse, but patched with a thin wire.  He told me so and used it just for testing purposes.  Thinking about this, I could easily take any blown fuse, solder a thin wire, turn it so the wire is on the bottom where you can't see the wire and try to sell this as working fuse inside a multimeter.

5) Check to see if it is stolen.

Flukes are very popular in the USA.  With its eaisly spottable yellow holster, they sometimes grow legs and walk.  The serial number should be on the back of the unit.

*notes*

n1) Fluke has issued a number of recalls on their handheld meters for safety reasons.  They seem to be very generous if you call in and tell them you have a meter with a known safety issue and they will likely repair/replace your meter for free. See

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/multimeter-repair-time-again!-fluke-177-reads-8-ohms/

n2) See

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/buying-used-multimeter-what-to-watch-for/

« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 04:51:22 am by retiredcaps »

The following users thanked this post: BMack

Offline BMack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 04:42:55 am »
I just saw a 87V go on eBay for $160 plus shipping about two hours ago. I bought a 87III for $90 last week locally for a backup replacing my 115 backup which I hope to sell and recoup most of that money.
$160 for an used 87V and $90 for an used 87 III are good, below market prices.

Definitely, but they're available if you keep an eye out. Of course you should be suspicious if there are no good pictures. I've found some really good prices in pawn shops, most don't have a clue what they have or how to check them. Ask what their return policy is, some will allow a week for money back and some will give you 24 hours for store credit. Right now I can go to one pawn shop that has a Fluke 115 for $80, what they don't realize is the case and accessory kit that it comes with is worth more than the meter. I thought about buying it but I already have the leads and it would be my fifth Fluke DMM and seventh DMM. I need to sell some before I buy any more.    ;)

BTW, great post about buying used meters.

Offline Goodwill Hunting

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 06:29:25 am »
Check craigslist and local pawn shops for an 87v.  I just got an 87v for $140 on craigslist. 

Having used cheaper DMMs and now having the 87v, I can say I wish I had gotten an 87v long ago. 

Don't forget resale value.  No one wants a used, cheap DMM.  A Fluke 87v will likely keep its value just fine.  Even an original 87 goes for $100 regularly on ebay.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 10:46:28 pm »
Thanks guys! I appreciate all the tips :-+

I'l probably keep an eye out for a good used fluke...

Noob question: Is there anything I need to do to close the tread or anything? ;D

Thanks!

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 10:50:09 pm »
Noob question: Is there anything I need to do to close the tread or anything? ;D
You could change the title to [SOLVED] Multimeter to pair with DS1054Z, but it would be premature as others might have better suggestions.

Plus, you might want to come back and tell us what you got and for how much?

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2016, 03:23:25 pm »
So I ended up with an 87v. I got it used off of ebay in very good condition for $230 which is a little more than I wanted to pay but only $25 more than a more worn one.

This one also had the screen protector still on it and looks like it only saw a couple of uses.

on a side note the wording on the probes was full of dirt that wouldn't come out with a brush or pick, so I threw them in an ultrasonic cleaner and the dirt came right out! After this success I decided to throw the case in too and it took out all of the marks on the case!

I ended up with a good clean meter that I know I can depend on.

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2016, 03:32:13 pm »
So I ended up with an 87v. I got it used off of ebay in very good condition for $230 which is a little more than I wanted to pay but only $25 more than a more worn one.

This one also had the screen protector still on it and looks like it only saw a couple of uses.

on a side note the wording on the probes was full of dirt that wouldn't come out with a brush or pick, so I threw them in an ultrasonic cleaner and the dirt came right out! After this success I decided to throw the case in too and it took out all of the marks on the case!

I ended up with a good clean meter that I know I can depend on.
Yup, they clean up real nice. I've picked up a number of used Fluke meters of Ebay and never had any issues with either. Usually when it comes to probes I buy new ones when I pick up a used multimeter, but that's because I like probes with fine tips for SMD components.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf