Poll

Handheld Multimeter (OEM) Brand Ranking - Which ones do you prefer in Terms of Accuracy, Build Quality etc.

Fluke
29 (37.7%)
Chauvin Arnoux (Metrix)
4 (5.2%)
Gossen Metrawatt
7 (9.1%)
Keysight (Agilent)
13 (16.9%)
Brymen
13 (16.9%)
APPA
0 (0%)
C.E.M.
2 (2.6%)
Mastech
1 (1.3%)
Hioki
6 (7.8%)
EEVblog 121GW ;-)
1 (1.3%)
other Rebranding (see my comment) etc.
1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Voting closed: October 18, 2019, 06:24:37 am

Author Topic: Multimeters with (Color) Graphic Display - Summary & Comparison  (Read 20270 times)

Offline Magnum

• Regular Contributor
Re: Multimeters with (Color) Graphic Display - Summary & Comparison
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2019, 07:36:34 pm »
I have a MTX 3292 and I really love it. IMHO you can forget the graphing, on the 3292 it is not so easy to zoom in, so there are not many occasions where you can really use it.
But what I like with the graphic display is the ability to show more information.
I first looked at the Fluke, but it takes ages to startup. The Metrix is instant on, so you can use it immediately. It also has the last measurement function enabled when powering on.
The only drawback: The beeper could be a bit louder (at least for me), and even when it is switched off it eats batteries. So from time to time you have to load it.

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2019, 08:29:06 pm »
I have a MTX 3292 and I really love it. IMHO you can forget the graphing, on the 3292 it is not so easy to zoom in, so there are not many occasions where you can really use it.
But what I like with the graphic display is the ability to show more information.
I first looked at the Fluke, but it takes ages to startup. The Metrix is instant on, so you can use it immediately. It also has the last measurement function enabled when powering on.
The only drawback: The beeper could be a bit louder (at least for me), and even when it is switched off it eats batteries. So from time to time you have to load it.

That pretty much is what I think.
Batteries are NiMH, so they self discharge..

Offline Magnum

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2019, 08:32:07 pm »

That might be an explanation. I was thinking it is because it starts so quick, that they just put it in a sleep mode with a very low power consumption.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2019, 08:41:09 pm »
With both of your owning them, are the Metrix difficult to disassemble?  Does it void the warranty if they are taken apart?   I am just surprised I have never seen any pictures posted of their internals.   

For the price, I would expect these to be bullet proof.  Imagine if all we saw was a single PTC like the ANENGs.. :-DD :-DD 

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2019, 08:41:44 pm »

That might be an explanation. I was thinking it is because it starts so quick, that they just put it in a sleep mode with a very low power consumption.
Well it might be drawing current, but I know all my NiMH cells have pronounced self-discharge. So. it is probably combination of both..

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2019, 08:43:23 pm »
With both of your owning them, are the Metrix difficult to disassemble?  Does it void the warranty if they are taken apart?   I am just surprised I have never seen any pictures posted of their internals.   

For the price, I would expect these to be bullet proof.  Imagine if all we saw was a single PTC like the ANENGs.. :-DD :-DD
There is a French gentleman opening one ..

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2019, 09:01:04 pm »
Good find.  I didn't see any sign of GDTs or MOVs for the primary clamp.  Perhaps they are on the backside.   They used a good sized PTC and what I would assume is some specialized resistor in series with it.   

All sorts of mechanical relays.   Perhaps these have an internal shield.   If you hold a magnet next to the meter, does it change the state of the relays like the Gossen?   Worse, can you get the meter into a state where it will not display voltage with just a magnet?   

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2019, 09:09:51 pm »
Good find.  I didn't see any sign of GDTs or MOVs for the primary clamp.  Perhaps they are on the backside.   They used a good sized PTC and what I would assume is some specialized resistor in series with it.   

All sorts of mechanical relays.   Perhaps these have an internal shield.   If you hold a magnet next to the meter, does it change the state of the relays like the Gossen?   Worse, can you get the meter into a state where it will not display voltage with just a magnet?

I'll take a look if I have one of those HDD magnets to try.. Unfortunately, I don't have that mighty degausser of yours.

I presume there is a good chance they could be made to switch. Relays are close to edge, you could get close to them from outside the box..

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2019, 10:16:04 pm »

I'll take a look if I have one of those HDD magnets to try.. Unfortunately, I don't have that mighty degausser of yours.

I presume there is a good chance they could be made to switch. Relays are close to edge, you could get close to them from outside the box..

That Gossen could easily be switched from outside the box.  IMO, IEC is behind the times to let this sort of thing be allowed in an industrial handheld meter.   Then again, I am surprised Gossen would design a meter like this.     

https://youtu.be/COuCsWDoI9E?list=PLZSS2ajxhiQBTCU8Mq_i9jidT024A0dV6

Offline sotos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2019, 06:05:53 am »
Can you name separately each datalogging save? in the UT181A.  Fluke 289 cannot save a name as you wish, it saves them generally and when trying to get it back you must remember how it was saved.

Offline Markus2801ATopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Pobody’s Nerfect ;-)
    • KEM InfoPage
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2019, 06:09:46 am »

But as you can see in the disassembly video, the batteries are AA-Cells you should be able to replace them with better ones.
Don't know why C.A. decided to use Ni-MH Batteries even in the newest upcoming release C.A. 5292 and C.A. 5293
Teacher for electrical Engineering @ HTL and Werkmeisterschule :-)

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2019, 07:49:35 am »

But as you can see in the disassembly video, the batteries are AA-Cells you should be able to replace them with better ones.
Don't know why C.A. decided to use Ni-MH Batteries even in the newest upcoming release C.A. 5292 and C.A. 5293

It is not that bad if you use the meter on regular basis. If you use meter only occasionally, for instance you keep the meter in the box for few months, and then you expect it to have full bat, then you will not be happy. In which case maybe you should consider different meter.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2019, 01:04:44 pm »

There is an additional internal photo of the MTX3293 here that seems to show some further protection devices under a plastic cover
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/metrix-mtx3293-quick-teardown/

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2019, 01:54:34 pm »
There is an additional internal photo of the MTX3293 here that seems to show some further protection devices under a plastic cover
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/metrix-mtx3293-quick-teardown/
I don't see very well.  Could you please point out these additional protection devices.   No doubt there will be some sort of high speed clamps in various sections. 

Without the larger parts in both legs,  I can't see this thing holding up very well in the tests I run.  The tape holding the plastic cover down will be fuel for the fire.    It looks like ferrite under the pink heat shrink on the large ribbon.  Can anyone confirm?   

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2019, 02:03:17 pm »
Can you name separately each datalogging save? in the UT181A.  Fluke 289 cannot save a name as you wish, it saves them generally and when trying to get it back you must remember how it was saved.

You may be interested in page 58 of the manual.  I have attached this page in case you are blocked from downloading it in your country.   

The following users thanked this post: sotos

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2019, 03:20:12 pm »
I added my votes to your poll.   Based on all the tests I have ran Brymen and Fluke get a vote.   I only looked at one each from HIOKI & Gossen.  Both held up well.  The Gossen was able to handle higher levels and is also the highest resolution meter I have looked at.   However it is plagued with problems,  so the third vote goes to HIOKI.   The Keysight meter with it's glass filled detent spring gets zero votes.  It wasn't very robust anyway. 

One day UNI-T will rise up and make the ultimate UT181B.....  :popcorn:

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2019, 03:39:23 pm »
I don't see very well.  Could you please point out these additional protection devices.   No doubt there will be some sort of high speed clamps in various sections. 

I was referring to the 3rd photo in the 2nd post, and the blue SMD parts under the plastic shield which I thought may have been MOVs.  But looking at the layout again now, I think these are just a HV resistor divider for the V input jack?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/metrix-mtx3293-quick-teardown/?action=dlattach;attach=284434;image

Without the larger parts in both legs,  I can't see this thing holding up very well in the tests I run.  The tape holding the plastic cover down will be fuel for the fire.    It looks like ferrite under the pink heat shrink on the large ribbon.  Can anyone confirm?

Also interesting is that the input jacks, input protection resistor, and PTC (which are all through hole), don't appear to use through hole solder joints.  The board is well secured in the plastic frame with screws, but this would still concern me regarding reliability in field use (and your vibration tests).

Offline sotos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2019, 04:00:37 pm »

You may be interested in page 58 of the manual.  I have attached this page in case you are blocked from downloading it in your country.

Thank you.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2019, 04:28:33 pm »

I was referring to the 3rd photo in the 2nd post, and the blue SMD parts under the plastic shield which I thought may have been MOVs.  But looking at the layout again now, I think these are just a HV resistor divider for the V input jack?

Yes, I believe that these are resistors and not MOVs.  I assume the one PTC and axial resistor are for the current source and mv input.  So they may have just a basic low voltage clamp.  However, these parts are always connected to the input so the low voltage clamp needs to be switched out.  This means that the switch, relays, what ever is breaking that   connection needs to handle the voltage off my generator for the meter to survive.  Good luck with that!!!  :-DD :-DD :box:

The one thing that may save it is if it breaks down (unintentionally) at a lower voltage.   The generator puts out so little energy,  I've seen meters survive just from being shit designs without enough clearance or creepage.   This will normally draw out the comments, "look, the $0.99 meter survived at 10KV!!!"   :-DD

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/metrix-mtx3293-quick-teardown/?action=dlattach;attach=284434;image

Also interesting is that the input jacks, input protection resistor, and PTC (which are all through hole), don't appear to use through hole solder joints.  The board is well secured in the plastic frame with screws, but this would still concern me regarding reliability in field use (and your vibration tests).
I think the ribbon cables would be fun to watch with the vibration testing.   :-DD   The fuse holder didn't look all that impressive as well.   With only the large fuse, I wonder can you damage the meter with the lower ranges?     No pictures of the switch contacts.   It must just be a nightmare to take it all the way apart. 

It's on par with the price of the Gossen Ultra and I have my doubts that it would perform as good as my UNI-T.  As many problems as that Ultra has, it is a solid player when it comes to how electrically robust it is!  My guess is just too many marketing wankers were involved.   

Had the person who wrote me and offered to test their Metrix shown the results (with the meter surviving) I may have picked one up to run.  If I am going to spend this sort of cash on a demo, I would rather spend it on something that stands a chance of doing well. 

The following users thanked this post: Kean

• Regular Contributor
  • Pobody’s Nerfect ;-)
    • KEM InfoPage
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2019, 07:13:32 pm »
I sorry, but I don't understand why do "we" want to destroy those devices with extrem torture testing, which will never occur in real life.
A technician, who spends so much money for a DMM like the Metrix MTX 329x-Series or other high end Meter like Fluke, Gossen etc. will take care of his equipment!

I indeed do understand, that good input protection and rigid construction, high quality Materials and electrical parts should be present in higher priced meters. But aren't some of these exaggerated stress tests a little bit absurd. Sorry if I say directly what im thinking, but I'am a very careful person as I know how long I have to work to be able to buy such a high priced meter!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 05:28:17 am by Markus2801A »

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2019, 07:46:53 pm »
I sorry, but I don't understand why do "we" ant to destroy those devices with extrem torture testing, which will never occur in real life.
A technician, who spends so much money for a DMM like the Metrix MTX 329x-Series or other high end Meter like Fluke, Gossen etc. will take care of his equipment!

I indeed do understand, that good input protection and rigid construction, high quality Materials and electrical parts should be present in higher priced meters. But aren't some of these exaggerated stress tests a little bit absurd. Sorry if I say directly what im thinking, but I'am a very careful person as I know how long I have to work to be able to buy such a high priced meter!

I personally won't take offense to your question. 

Also - as I am a teacher - I consider take them into school to show some basic measurements to my students (its because unfortunately you don't get state of the art equipment from school, what a pity!)

As someone teaching though, I would have expected you to do your homework first before attempting to teach us.  If you are curious about the IEC standards, I would start by doing a search on the 61010.   If you are curious about the little tests that I run, there is a FAQ and a few videos that go over it.    Anything I show is a far cry from what the IEC standards call for.   

Now if this particular Metrix meter would survive the basic tests I run, it's a pure guess on my part based on my experience running other meters.   I do offer all the data I have collected free of charge.  You can look through it and see that there is a trend for certain brands to be much more robust than others.  I would expect the highest cost meter to be one of the most robust. 

• Regular Contributor
  • Pobody’s Nerfect ;-)
    • KEM InfoPage
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2019, 05:25:45 am »
I would expect the highest cost meter to be one of the most robust.

I totally agree with you ;-) As you pay more for the device it should be well designed and made!
Its very annoying if it isnt, since the "law" of economy says, you get what you pay for! But unfortunately in our money driven World to many players try to optimize their profits instead of their products.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2019, 06:53:25 am »
I would expect the highest cost meter to be one of the most robust.

I totally agree with you ;-) As you pay more for the device it should be well designed and made!
Its very annoying if it isnt, since the "law" of economy says, you get what you pay for! But unfortunately in our money driven World to many players try to optimize their profits instead of their products.
Not necesarily. Long scale benchtop meter are not robust at all. They have other priorities. I believe same is here. MTX 3293 is for electronics, in the lab. It's robust enough for that.  Also, no, I don't hit it with a hammer or play football with it. So it will last.

• Regular Contributor
  • Pobody’s Nerfect ;-)
    • KEM InfoPage
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2019, 09:22:54 am »
Not necesarily. Long scale benchtop meter are not robust at all. They have other priorities. I believe same is here. MTX 3293 is for electronics, in the lab. It's robust enough for that.  Also, no, I don't hit it with a hammer or play football with it. So it will last.

Totally agree! :-) High End Benchtop cost multiple of even the highest priced Handheld available Because of their usage is in Lab so u have to be careful with them :-)

H, thinking of buying the C.E.M. DT-9987, because it seems to take some time until the new C.A. 5293-BT is released. What du you think? Or the Uni-T? or other, I dunno  |O

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2019, 12:39:04 pm »

Handheld meters have a specific safety standard just for them.  I doubt you would find too many people (I won't use electricians) who would use a bench meter in a CAT III environment.   It is possible that the Metrix 3293 really isn't very robust and  designed for a nice clean indoor lab low voltage bench use.  Let's see how they market it.  The following quotes are from their user's manual and sales literature:

"IP67 protection against water projections and dust, ideal for outdoor conditions" 
If I look in the user's manual, it states:
"This instrument is been designed to be used as follows: -indoors"   
"IP67, according to NFEN60529"
Even at the company where the meter is designed, I guess they can't agree so we can't expect potential customers to have a clear understanding.

"The ASYC IV multimeters are ideal for many applications in industry, telecommunications and defense. Their multiple functions make them easy to use for electrical and electronics maintenance, as well as machine maintenance."

"Safety as per IEC 61010-1 1,000 V-CAT III /600 V CAT IV Safety as per IEC 61010-2-03"

"No time-wasting: the instrument operates while charging "
I wonder how they get that one through certification.

"Fuse 1,000V 11A >20kA 10x38mm"

"This instrument is designed in conformity with the EMC standards in force and its compatibility has been tested in accordance with the following standards: Emissions (cl. A) and Immunity NF EN61326-1"

I spent some time trying to find the certs for it.  No luck.  It could be like UNI-T.  Wait, I think UNI-T actually has some of their products certified. 

So far the closest handheld meter I have found to my HP34401A bench meter is the Gossen Ultra.  It has some problems but it's certainly robust electrically.   
It survived all the basic ESD and line voltage test and made it's way to 6KV 100us FWHH on the low voltage generator.   I stopped testing with the original generator at 12KV 50us FWHH.    It's rare I see meters do this well.  It's a shame that Gossen half ass'ed it with their added fluff and lack of adequate shielding.     

The following users thanked this post: Kean, OlliFell

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf