Poll

Handheld Multimeter (OEM) Brand Ranking - Which ones do you prefer in Terms of Accuracy, Build Quality etc.

Fluke
Chauvin Arnoux (Metrix)
Gossen Metrawatt
Keysight (Agilent)
Brymen
APPA
C.E.M.
Mastech
Hioki
EEVblog 121GW ;-)
other Rebranding (see my comment) etc.

Voting closes: October 18, 2019, 05:24:37 pm

Author Topic: Multimeters with (Color) Graphic Display - Summary & Comparison  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Markus2801A

• Contributor
    • KEM InfoPage
Re: Multimeters with (Color) Graphic Display - Summary & Comparison
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2019, 02:30:00 am »

Wow, they CALLED you..  I sent e-mails to export@chauvin-arnoux.fr and posted question on their online site. Nobody got back to me.
Their support makes Rigol and Siglent support look fantastic..
And that is for MOST EXEPENSIVE handheld multimeter they make..

Congrats on your new meter. It is very nice, I find it very easy to use, works well, and has nice features (PT100/1000 and J/K thermocouple temp measurement, zener mode in diode testing, VA mode, math, external current probe support etc..)

Yes, C.A. Austria called me, its really bad that French Headquarter is not responding to you. Seems the austrian Department is more customer friendly.

Thanks, hope it will arrive soon and I can do my first basic measurements with it.
And yes I will be very carefully with it and I won't place any magnets beside this meter ;-)

Teacher for electrical Engineering @ HTL and Werkmeisterschule :-)

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2019, 03:29:14 am »

The meters I have all utilise AAA batteries, so battery life is questionable. I believe that the DM285 had a different battery option so may be better. Neither of them came with a carry case either, so that is an extra cost if you require one, or you could go for one of their kit versions.

The test leads are reasonable quality, but are moulded test probes with threaded tip adapters, so are not overly compatible with optional accessories. So again another cost if you wish to use different test connections other than a standard probe or crocodile clip.

The Flir DM285 runs on 3 AA batteries.  I use Eneloops on mine.  No need to buy the optional battery pack.

The test leads have soft flexible silicone, sharp 2mm tips.  They include the tip shields, alligator clips, thermo probe, and nylon type carrying case.

The DM285 has a thermo camera, proximity volt alert, data logging, flashlight, laser pointer, Low Z, bluetooth, and 10 year warranty. 

I wanted a low cost thermo camera and initially purchased the Flir One Pro but it was flimsy and had a crappy battery.  The DM285 had similar features plus full DMM capability.  This meter has replaced my Fluke 117 and Fluke 87V as a secondary DMM.  The Fluke 289 is my current goto.

The following users thanked this post: threephase

Offline threephase

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2019, 04:49:44 am »

The Flir DM285 runs on 3 AA batteries.  I use Eneloops on mine.  No need to buy the optional battery pack.

The test leads have soft flexible silicone, sharp 2mm tips.  They include the tip shields, alligator clips, thermo probe, and nylon type carrying case.

The DM285 has a thermo camera, proximity volt alert, data logging, flashlight, laser pointer, Low Z, bluetooth, and 10 year warranty. 

I wanted a low cost thermo camera and initially purchased the Flir One Pro but it was flimsy and had a crappy battery.  The DM285 had similar features plus full DMM capability.  This meter has replaced my Fluke 117 and Fluke 87V as a secondary DMM.  The Fluke 289 is my current goto.

Good to know that you are happy with your DM285. I also have the Flir One and yeah, pretty much have to charge it every time it is used. I also don't think that the software for the iPhone is that great, very basic. There is the iSeek out there as an alternative, that uses the phone's battery, but I haven't come across anyone who uses them.

Kind regards

Offline Markus2801A

• Contributor
    • KEM InfoPage
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2019, 03:36:15 pm »
The Flir DM285 seems to be a pretty good device! Approx. 699€ including the Thermal camera, no other company offers such a device.

Display seems to be very crisp and clear and readable! :-)

I would say Fluke has to really update their 287/289 product line!

Offline Magnum

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2019, 04:21:32 pm »
But it has a basic accuracy of only 1%. So it might be a good thermal camera, but unfortunately not a high end handheld multimeter.

Offline Markus2801A

• Contributor
    • KEM InfoPage
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2019, 09:15:26 pm »
But it has a basic accuracy of only 1%. So it might be a good thermal camera, but unfortunately not a high end handheld multimeter.

You're right! Very sad, they didn't adress this in such a high priced DMM!

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2019, 09:54:56 pm »

The accuracy does indeed suck for a overly priced meter and is bulky.  The voltage spec is actually 1000VAC +/- 1% / 1000VDC +/- 0.09%. The market targeted for this meter is for electrical work, not electronics.  It's comparable to my electrician's 117 but offers mV, mA, and uA which the 117 does not offer.  The Flir DM285 is an all in one that does many things but not one thing extremely well.

Offline Magnum

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2019, 06:59:05 am »
The accuracy does indeed suck for a overly priced meter and is bulky.  The voltage spec is actually 1000VAC +/- 1% / 1000VDC +/- 0.09%. The market targeted for this meter is for electrical work, not electronics.  It's comparable to my electrician's 117 but offers mV, mA, and uA which the 117 does not offer.  The Flir DM285 is an all in one that does many things but not one thing extremely well.
Oh yes, you are right, I missed the 0.09%.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf