Author Topic: My new RIGOL DS1054Z has just arrived in its box  (Read 12354 times)

Offline AthanasisTopic starter

• Contributor
My new RIGOL DS1054Z has just arrived in its box
« on: May 19, 2016, 10:28:48 am »
 :-+ The box has just arrived by DHL from http://www.batronix.com and at the time of writing, I've got it in my car's boot.  ^-^

Now I am looking for an easy way to learn its functions and also hack it. I haven't opened its box yet.

Talk to you soon.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: My new RIGOL DS1054Z has just arrived in its box
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 11:07:45 am »
Open the box, plug it in, connect a probe, hook the probe to the little metal loop on the right (the one labelled with a square wave).

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 07:58:08 pm »
Latest version of the user guide:

http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/attachment/1579/f-050a/1/-/-/-/-/MSO1000Z%26DS1000Z_UserGuide.pdf

Thank you friend. I will download and take it with me. Time is limited when you are doing a second job to cover life costs. This .pdf comes handy ! Thanks for the link.

Open the box, plug it in, connect a probe, hook the probe to the little metal loop on the right (the one labelled with a square wave).

Yeahh, thanks for bringing this up. I didn't know it . I haven't read any manuals yet. !!! Time limited like said. But I managed to take some box-opening pictures.

Thank you !

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 10:41:35 pm »
On several of my YT videos talking about this scope you've posted the same comment:

If you update to SP3 does it sort the problem out? I have just received my own Rigol fucking DS1054Z shit but all the posted hacks look pretty old. Your openings scare the shit out of me for my new oscilloscopy. Please view my own box-opening experience in pictures here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/my-new-rigol-ds1054z-has-just-arrived-in-its-box/msg944321/#msg944321 and if you have any updates about that shit please feel free to discuss it there !?

Thanks for watching and commenting on my videos. No need to be scared, just be aware.

1. Since your scope appears to be new production and was delivered with the 00.04.03.SP2 firmware, it probably has a later Boot Version than the scopes that are subject to the Freeze Bug (Boot Version 0.0.1.2) , where the scope stops responding totally to any user input and must be rebooted and sometimes even reset to factory defaults to recover. So you don't have to worry about that one (probably).

To display your full System Information screen which shows your Boot Version and the rest of the installed Software suite, you have to do a keypress dance. Very rapidly press, in the Trigger section, Menu Menu Force Menu. Then quickly go to Utility>System>System Info and you should see the full System Information screen. If you don't get it the first time, keep trying, and press the button sequence faster.

2. As far as I am aware, the most recent firmware is version 00.04.03.02.03, which is identified by the scope as 00.04.03.SP2. I don't think that Rigol has released any "SP3" version.... yet. See the screenshot below which I just captured from the RigolNA website.  We are waiting, Rigol.....

3. Putting the spring hooks onto the bare probe ends sometimes takes quite a bit of push to get them properly seated. There is a definite "click" when they snap into place.

Good luck with your new instrument! You have a nice workbench layout.    :-+
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

The following users thanked this post: BravoV, Athanasis

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 06:15:48 am »
3. Putting the spring hooks onto the bare probe ends sometimes takes quite a bit of push to get them properly seated. There is a definite "click" when they snap into place.

Yes, I forgot about that one - it's a trap for new players!

If the hooks keep falling off it's because you didn't push hard enough.

The following users thanked this post: metzjtm

Offline julian1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 11:08:43 pm »

Yes, I forgot about that one - it's a trap for new players!

If the hooks keep falling off it's because you didn't push hard enough.

Ahh, awesome. I was wondering about the strange design that meant I needed to use my fingers or else careful placement of the probes to prevent them coming apart.

To the OP, I purchased one of the cheap $100 Chinese signal generators along with my Rigol.

It really helped to be able to use test signals to experiment and get a feel for basic oscilloscope functionality - ac/dc coupling, triggering, 50ohm termination, horiz and vert scale, one-time measurement etc.

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 11:59:20 pm »
Nice! I love how you took a pic of every step unboxing!   :-+
Gone for good

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 06:15:32 am »
To the OP, I purchased one of the cheap $100 Chinese signal generators along with my Rigol.

It really helped to be able to use test signals to experiment and get a feel for basic oscilloscope functionality - ac/dc coupling, triggering, 50ohm termination, horiz and vert scale, one-time measurement etc.
For that when I bought my Rigol I used a series of lab exercises by Tektronix named "Learn Digital Oscilloscope Operations using Arduino Board as DUT (Signal Generator)", which as the name suggests, uses an Arduino board with few additional components on a breadboard. A bit of adaptation to find certain functions was needed because of course the lab was using Tek names and menus, but it forced me to go and learn the Rigol available options.

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 12:53:18 pm »
Ahh, awesome. I was wondering about the strange design that meant I needed to use my fingers or else careful placement of the probes to prevent them coming apart.

Look at my pics above and you will find that Cheap Chinese signal generator at your left !  Its even a dual channel signal generator !

Offline metzjtm

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 10:17:51 pm »
I just got mine 3 weeks ago. This is shaping up to really end the need to repair the 465b that I have dragged around. May it rest in peace.  I am having some problems with the upgrade hack. Post if your goes well.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 10:21:42 pm by metzjtm »

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 11:57:29 pm »
I just got mine 3 weeks ago. This is shaping up to really end the need to repair the 465b that I have dragged around. May it rest in peace.  I am having some problems with the upgrade hack. Post if your goes well.

What problems are you having?

I just tested the link in the post above and it works.

Online Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 02:00:30 am »
When I got my DS1054Z I opened the box to find another box just small enough to fit in the outer box.  I got mine from TEquipment.net but both boxes were Rigol labeled boxes, so I guess it was packaged that way from the factory.  I was impressed that they would do that.

I thought about doing an unboxing video but all I have for a camera right now is my smartphone, which is why most of my YouTube videos are shot over my bench, where I can balance the phone on my magnifier light.  I wanted to see my new scope and I was too impatient to figure out how to mount my phone on a tripod or something.   Guess I could have used duct tape.  :)

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 08:35:24 pm »

1. Since your scope appears to be new production and was delivered with the 00.04.03.SP2 firmware, it probably has a later Boot Version than the scopes that are subject to the Freeze Bug (Boot Version 0.0.1.2) , where the scope stops responding totally to any user input and must be rebooted and sometimes even reset to factory defaults to recover. So you don't have to worry about that one (probably).

I believe I have the latest build and boot version 1.4. I experienced one total freeze when turning Math off. I do not recall the sequence or settings otherwise.  :o

My trial option times seem to be counting down faster than reality...  O0

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 08:39:31 pm »
When I got my DS1054Z I opened the box to find another box just small enough to fit in the outer box.  I got mine from TEquipment.net but both boxes were Rigol labeled boxes, so I guess it was packaged that way from the factory.  I was impressed that they would do that.

My scope was not double boxed...came from Tequipment too.

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 08:41:06 pm »

I believe I have the latest build and boot version 1.4. I experienced one total freeze when turning Math off. I do not recall the sequence or settings otherwise.  :o

My trial option times seem to be counting down faster than reality...  O0

Time flies when you're having fun...     ;)

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 08:44:27 pm »

My scope was not double boxed...came from Tequipment too.

First one I received from TEquipment was double-boxed, very impressive. But the scope had a hardware glitch and I returned it to TEquipment.
Warranty replacement scope from TEquipment was not double-boxed and looked kind of suspicious, had earlier serial number than the one I returned.
Third unit which I received directly from RigolUSA when they wanted my Boot Version 0.0.1.2 unit back was not double-boxed.

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 03:39:19 pm »
Have you thought about these items? I used to use them, and their is one cheaper also that came with a macro lens kit for a smart phone. But they work on a tripod for steady video. These days you can buy a real spcameras but I have even compared videos from a good smart gone camera dong 4K and high quality standard video camera and most of the time I don't see a difference.

http://www.amazon.com/i-Trek-SupaMount-Smartphone-Tripod-Adapter/dp/B005LY980S?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

http://www.amazon.com/Mudder-Universal-Smartphone-Monopod-Adapter/dp/B00WTOHEBI?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Just thought I would share.

I thought about doing an unboxing video but all I have for a camera right now is my smartphone, which is why most of my YouTube videos are shot over my bench, where I can balance the phone on my magnifier light.  I wanted to see my new scope and I was too impatient to figure out how to mount my phone on a tripod or something.   Guess I could have used duct tape.  :)
Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2016, 12:47:22 am »
For that when I bought my Rigol I used a series of lab exercises by Tektronix named "Learn Digital Oscilloscope Operations using Arduino Board as DUT (Signal Generator)", which as the name suggests, uses an Arduino board with few additional components on a breadboard. A bit of adaptation to find certain functions was needed because of course the lab was using Tek names and menus, but it forced me to go and learn the Rigol available options.

Here's the page for that Tek courseware: http://www.tek.com/lab-course/learn-digital-oscilloscope-operations-using-arduino-board-dut-signal-generator
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: nowlan

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2016, 05:43:57 am »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf