Author Topic: Need help building probes for Hickok 209A  (Read 5043 times)

Offline AnsonTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Need help building probes for Hickok 209A
« on: November 06, 2013, 01:34:57 am »
I need to build a set of probes for a Hickok 209A VTVM. The tricky one is the AC probe which houses a 6AL5 Vacuum Tube in it and uses it as a double diode to rectify the AC. I'll include the circuit for the probe. Things I know so far. The connector to the unit is an Amphenol 91 MC4M mic connector at least thats what I have read. It uses a 4 conductor shielded wire 48" long. The heater voltage for the 6AL5 is 6.3v and 0.3 amps. The probe is meant to handle 300 volts. The tube has a diameter of 3/4 inch but the socket of course will be slightly larger. I haven't found a suitable socket. It is a 7 pin miniature socket needs to be round obviously so that it can fit in a tube. I'll include a picture of an original probe.

I also need to make a dc probe and the other two test leads. I just need to find probe bodies and tips. Anyone have a source for these?

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
Re: Need help building probes for Hickok 209A
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 02:26:29 am »
Here is the socket
http://www.oldradiosnstuff.com/4-cinch-ts102p01-shielded-7-pin-tube-socket-6au6-6c4-6ab4-6x4-6al5-etc
tubes can be found on ebay. To bad there arent much any specs on the tube, as you could make a diode replacement for it.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline AnsonTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 02:39:38 am »
Thanks for the link. I had thought about using diodes instead of a tube. Not sure if there would be any issues with that or not. Would cut down on the bulk of the probe and eliminate the need for a couple wires.

Offline BrianBurns

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 06:12:17 pm »
Hello Steve,

There is a guy on ebay selling what seems to be a military version of the Hickok probe with a tube aboard. I'm not sure whether links are permitted here, but you can just search ebay for Hickok probe, or email me for the link.

Cheers,

BrianBurns

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 06:43:06 pm »
You could just replace the diodes with BAT41 diodes. Similar voltage rating and similar capacitance, and probably will work well enough as a drop in replacement. Leaving the heater wiring open on pin 3 should do no harm. Will enable you to do 100V peak, and more if you place 5 or so in series, but probably I would not probe more than 200V with it.

Don't know how they get a 1200V rating for AC with that probe, as the valve is only rated for 300v max. It might be 1200V DC across the coupling capacitor, with 100 VAC peak only.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf