Author Topic: Buying second hand Fluke 45, broken mA plug fuse holder and screen  (Read 3750 times)

Offline RonaldPFTopic starter

• Contributor
Buying second hand Fluke 45, broken mA plug fuse holder and screen
« on: September 19, 2015, 07:30:02 pm »
Hi everyone,

I am looking at buying a second hand FLUKE 45. I am sourcing it locally since here in Spain, shipping on anything heavy from america will cost +100$ and potencially another +20% VAT if it gets caught entering the country.

I found one (first brand bench multimeter ever on spanish internet probably) being sold at 170$, here is the link: http://www.milanuncios.com/radioaficionados/multimetro-profesional-fluke-45-161111067.htm.
(Pictures from the ad attached, not sure how to make them appear here :-//)

The screen appears to be broken (no sure how worried I should be about that), but more importantly it is missing the plug + fuse to measure mA (That's what the text says, but there seems to be some piece there judging from the picture of the guts, maybe a little screw-in plastic cap). I have searched the internet for that piece and it doesn't seem to even exist, maybe I'm not searching right.

Based on this, there are three questions I have:

1. What would be an appropriate price, considering both the screen and the fuse holder? 100$?

2. Could anyone who owns a Fluke 45 post detailed pictures and dimensions of the fuse holder plug piece, fuse and connections? I'd like to try and 3D print it or bodge some banana plug and fuse in.

3. What tests should I perform, since this meter has no self-test capability?

Last minute doubts here, meeting the seller tomorrow to check it out  :scared:

Thanks in advance for any help,

Ronald

Offline commongrounder

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Buying second hand Fluke 45, broken mA plug fuse holder and screen
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 08:42:51 pm »
Ahh.  That's too bad the fuse holder went missing.  The part is complex.  I've attached photos of one from one of my 45's.  Hope this helps in some way.  Good Luck!  The 45 is a handy all purpose multimeter. :)

Edit:  Just want to add the dimensions.  The main body is 28.5 mm long, not including the nubs on the front.  The diameter of the narrowest part of the body is 12.5 mm and 14 mm including the bayonets.  The fuse is a GDA 500ma fast blow 20 mm ceramic, high interrupt rating.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 08:53:22 pm by commongrounder »

Offline radhaz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 08:53:32 pm »
The part is:
RECEPTACLE,FUSE 824607

Offline commongrounder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 08:57:34 pm »
My measurements weren't too far off, considering I was just using a ruler! ;D

Offline RonaldPFTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 11:48:45 pm »
Wow! I'm absolutely blown away by the response! Thank you so much commongrounder and radhaz.
I've started thinking about the design, but for what I can see, this piece incorporates a metallic piece which receives the banana plug on one side and the fuse on the other. Since I'm not a machinist nor have access to machinist tools, it's starting to look like a "very fun" project, maybe dismantling a banana plug and fitting the metallic sleeve in there and press the end onto the fuse? no sure yet, I have to see what exactly does the meter have and what it is missing...

On the other hand, I've done a quick google search for the part name and number, the only thing I could find was this South Korean website:
http://hl2kvx.tistory.com/4547

I've used google translate on that, and managed to figure out the price: 15.000 Won, 12,8$ not too bad. I wanted to try contact the seller regarding shipping and availability, but can't find how to do that...  :-[

I'll update as soon as I see the meter tomorrow, anyone have any price ranges I should be asking for? (given the missing fuse receptacle and the broken screen protector)

Thanks again,
Ronald

Offline commongrounder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 01:22:33 am »
I just noticed the last photo of the interior, seems to show the optional battery is present. If that works, the value will be a bit more.  45s are going for $150 to $200 US here right now, without battery, but with a good display lens and 100ma input socket/fuse holder.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf