Author Topic: Need help with restoring License eeprom Lecroy 7200A Wavepro  (Read 5913 times)

Offline steven4601Topic starter

• Contributor
Need help with restoring License eeprom Lecroy 7200A Wavepro
« on: April 21, 2018, 07:58:32 am »
Dear all,
I bought this (used) scope about a year ago in a rather bad period (health-wise) of my life , to keep my mind from wandering the dark alley's...
Been fairly happy with the unit , Installed the Ipad retina screen, upgraded the mainboard , gave her a good clean. Even called around to order some license options for serial decode , but those are way too expensive to justify for private/hobby usage.(3 to 10k for some options, paid 4k for the scope already)

Today I decided to fumble with something I shouldn't have. License keys ... (I really wanted USB 2 time base and serial/spi/can for fun)  After a few tries the scope locked up...

Too keep it simple, the DSO software detects a fault, and no longer boots.

For the usual first aids, I t reinstalled the DSO package, tried turning it off and on again too.. 
I think its bad, as in EEPROM bad ...  Not even sure where the EEPROM is located for it.

I am willing to accept a loss, I shouldn't have been messing around with this.  Will be quite sour and hard to digest though.

If someone knows a way to undo messing around with license keys id be really grateful.   

Offline ollopa

• Regular Contributor
Re: Need help with restoring License eeprom Lecroy 7200A Wavepro
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 08:56:18 am »
PM sent.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 07:39:04 am »
Scope is restored ! thanks !!! :-+
Topic can be closed.

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 08:30:02 am »
So you're not going to explain what exactly happened?
for(;;);

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 06:55:46 pm »
 I messed up big time playing with the scope in the service menu / entering things I should not ...

But the 1-wire eeprom was recoverable. by making an Arduino 1--wire programmer to remove the bad data  :-+

Offline xemax

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 08:37:57 am »

Offline ollopa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 12:27:14 pm »
The irony, xemax, is that thread is what got his box bricked in the first place.

Offline darkstar49

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 08:52:59 pm »

it is indeed not always very clear what options to choose...  always best check on Lecroy's site, and don't activate something that is not mentioned explicitly for your scope (either in the scope's data sheet, or in the option's data sheet when it exists...)

Although not very clear why enabling options required the service menu... there's absolutely nothing in there to play with options (excepted to erase some...)

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 03:05:23 am »
it is indeed not always very clear what options to choose...  always best check on Lecroy's site, and don't activate something that is not mentioned explicitly for your scope (either in the scope's data sheet, or in the option's data sheet when it exists...)
sorry to break the silence i'm in the learning business right now. but for anyone in the future to make sure, all (or some?) of the options available to the WavePro 7000 Series (aka WP7K) can be seen here at the end of the manual...
https://www.atecorp.com/atecorp/media/pdfs/data-sheets/lecroy-wavepro7000-series_datasheet.pdf
so you have a high risk trying to activate something thats not in there, including the mentioned USB2, HDMI,SAS etc... fwiw...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline little.tesla

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 10:44:09 pm »
Hello,
Sorry for resurrecting this thread again from its grave.
Unfortunately I made the same mistake with my waverunner Xi and I would be very thankfull if somebody could point me in the right direction to reset the options.
Any help is very apreciated.

Thanks and regards,
DI

Offline mldevw

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 11:15:41 am »
Hi,

I am also sorry I did the exact same mistake and bricked my (all new to me) WaveSurfer 343.
I can build a OneWire Interface with arduino no issue. May I have some hints where exactly to look / what to change on the eeprom to get my old licenses back? I have a screenshot of them.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Cheers,

mldevw

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2023, 02:59:40 am »
Would have been helpful to share some info on how/what you do rather than just posting that it was solved, but let's see if we can get to that point again:

I've got a WavePro 7300 that had no hard drive, I've been able to install an OS, system drivers, the X-Stream software, and the requisite driver packages, but when I boot the X-Stream software, it gives me the "No hardware detected, not authorized to run on this system" message, even though the drivers for the PCI card and all subsequent components have been sorted.  I see the same error when I pull the PCI interface card entirely.

Well I assumed that the DS2433 eeprom on the PCI card was bad, so I desoldered it, mounted it on a carrier, and had at it with the arduino sketch and.... well it still has data, though some of it is certainly not alphanumeric (not sure if this is correct formatting).  As I haven't seen the output of a working one, I don't know if this data is corrupted or if it's just fine and the fault lies elsewhere, so if there's someone who knows or who has an eeprom to compare it to, mine is included as an image, since some of those early characters evidently can't be pasted in a post (short line is ROM ID, second line is "flash" contents).

Offline ollopa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2023, 01:17:24 am »
when I boot the X-Stream software, it gives me the "No hardware detected, not authorized to run on this system" message

Your DS2433 is fine.  You're able to read it and it contains your licenses:
c10f-1e15-0296-6d9a   FE2
8ab9-d5b3-5d43-ff95   HBW
f88f-7d8b-b335-c465   DDM2 JTA2 DFP2 XMATH
ed8e-521f-31f4-9b33  -XL GPIB1
3d6e-7d3c-597d-9c51  ENET

The "No Hardware Detected" / "Not authorized to run on this system" error is not related to the contents of your EEPROM, as you observed.  This message pops up before the contents are examined and I would say you either have a driver issue or something has gone wrong with your PCI interface card.  This error means that the XStream software wasn't able to communicate with the hardware and determine the scope id.  Recent versions of XStream/Maui software go looking for a Maui Studio license at this point.. Maui Studio is the productization of the simulation mode that allows you to run the firmware without being connected to hardware.  You can't capture any real data but you can analyze data captured on a real scope and simulate measurements.  Cool as it is I don't know how useful a feature the simulation aspect is..

Anyway my point is that it's not talking to hardware, hasn't read the scope id, and can't even think about reading the contents of the EEPROM yet.  You need to look elsewhere.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2023, 06:09:30 am »
Thank you, I've made some progress with it.

I put the DS2433 back on the board and replugged it, the OS only saw a single LeCroy device attached, so I reran the driver installation package, and though the same had been successful before, it seemed to take better this time, and I've gotten past that error.  In fact, for practical purposes, the scope works, oddly except for the options.

The scope interface boots up, starts acquiring, can be recalibrated through the service menu, and appears to allow all normal control and operation, except that it has no options listed in the utilities -> options tab, and the ScopeId is ffffff-c4, even though the serial number is now displayed correctly and matches the back of the unit (also IDs as a 7100, but I assume this is just a bandwidth license thing)

Now the weirder part, I update XStream to 8.1.2.0 I had the touchscreen configured and working, but it seems to have stopped working - and the device manager is back to a single device... so I go to reinstall the drivers.  Everything reinstalls correctly except for one "Multifuction Device" which I manually point to being a "LeCroy Data Acquisition Device" and it installs without complaint... and even though the port showed up as installing, it seems to be absent on reboot.

I'm going to have to swap PCI slots and see if it makes a difference and then maybe try taking a look at the PCI board itself - it seems to work fine on one hand, and then seems to be up to something on the other.

Offline ollopa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2023, 09:53:18 am »
I don't know what's going on with your acquisition card driver disappearing but as for your scope id, you haven't reinstalled the DS2433 correctly.  Make sure it's not backwards and doesn't have any solder bridges.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2023, 02:14:44 pm »
Try to clean the card and the PCI / AGP slots using alcohol / IPA / ethanol. I used some thick cardboard soaked in ethanol to clean the contacts in the PCI and AGP slots on my 7200A. Don't use contact spray!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2023, 06:11:09 pm »
Try to clean the card and the PCI / AGP slots using alcohol / IPA / ethanol. I used some thick cardboard soaked in ethanol to clean the contacts in the PCI and AGP slots on my 7200A. Don't use contact spray!

As long his ScopeId is ffffff-c4 , no deal with his current options :phew: as may running as a demo model only...

Cheers

Hp

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2023, 06:40:36 pm »
Yep. If the acquisition card isn't recognised, the software will run in demo mode. Gettting the acquisition card going is priority number one. The problem is that the acquisition card and the AGP video card don't quite adhere to the size requirements. On top of that, the casing of this oscilloscope is used to keep the card in place so any mechanical pressure/force that is or has been on the top cover, is transferred directly into the motherboard. Cleaning the acquisition card & PCI slot is the only thing you can try really. I don't think any chips are broken; it is just a contact problem.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 07:56:41 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2023, 05:49:08 am »
Well I've tried now reseating the card, cleaning the contacts with IPA (why not contact cleaner, I've deoxit at the ready, though I'll admit they don't look like they need it), and even changing PCI slots.  No difference with the ScopeID or touch panel usage, for whatever reason, though I got some weird color problems and a totally normal boot when I reseated the AGP card the first time.

I feel like at least for my symptoms, people are on different pages.  At least with this system, it's not booting into demo mode - the waveforms displayed are read from the input BNCs and ranges/coupling/timebase settings and the controls respond properly (it even self calibrates correctly through the service menu).  Right now my only issues are the ScopeID being misreported, which I believe is the cause of no options existing in the software (though perhaps there's one failure that's causing both), and the touchscreen not being found.  The touchscreen worked properly under XStream version 6 but appears to have stopped working since upgrading to 8.  In other observations which probably aren't faults: in the device manager after fully installing appropriate drivers for the PCI card, it only shows up as a single device (Multifunction DSO device or something), even though it's nearly a dozen different elements on install.  Switching PCI slots causes all to be reinstalled (correct behavior), but the second slot is tight enough of the wiring loom I wouldn't want to just leave it there without redoing the looming.  Worth noting that the serial number in XStream is reported correctly even when the ScopeID isn't, and it identifies as a WP7100, even though it's a 7300 (probably an option not working/being read, if I were to guess).  For completeness, I'm using a clean XP install since this unit arrived without a hard drive.  I installed the OS, the motherboard drivers, the UPDD drivers, XStream 6, then XStream 8, and the WP7200 driver package a couple times in between to be sure.

In any case, I'm wondering about a couple of specific things that I hope someone has insight into:
Where is the ScopeID actually stored?  Is it part of the DS2433 on the PCI card?  On the acquisition board?  On the fan controller/display board?  Something generated or stored by XStream?  If I can pin down where it is, I should be able to troubleshoot why it's not being retrieved.

Is it possible to manually force a 'refresh' of the ScopeID/options/serial number information?  In some service menu panels and in the registry, it seems to mention that data being cached, so I'm wondering if there's a way to convince it to reread the data in case it was bad before and that data was stored without retrying.  In the registry there's one short value (8 hex characters, just shy of a ScopeID), and one long value that looks approximately like the dump of the DS2433, a few lines of data and then all zeroes, should these be the contents read from the PCI board?  Are they unrelated?  Should I delete them and see what repopulates?

Otherwise I think my next course of action is to poke around on the PCI card.  Voltages appear normal and no chips are cooking themselves.  There's a MAX232A up near one of the ribbons that I think is the transceiver for the touchscreen that I can probe to see if there's activity, and for whatever reason (different kind of part used once?) the footprint for the DS2433 has traces routed to most pins - odd for a one wire device - so I could probe the pins I know it uses for data to see if anything's being read as a starting point.  I could pull the acquisition board and start checking too, but from failures I've seen there... it would report other issues while booting.  I can also read board version information correctly from the service menu, so I think the control FPGA and the basic housekeeping stuff on that board is all happy.

Offline ollopa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2023, 06:52:11 am »
Your scope id comes from the ds2433.  If it's not reading correctly then neither are the licenses.  Your 7300 comes from the HBW license which can't be read, that's why it decides that it is a 7100.  The WP7K (and WR6K) have analog filters that limit the bandwidth in the front end and the BW option is purely cosmetic as far as I am aware.  This isn't the case for the Zi scopes, however, which do appear to have software limited BW that can be uncapped with a bit-flip.  The scope id is not cached on disk or anything like that, it is read from hardware on every launch of XStream.  You seem to have a physical problem with the DS2433.  The screenshot you posted was fine but now your acquisition card can't read from it, so something is damaged, shorted/bridged, installed backwards, open, etc.  There's nothing relevant going on in the registry that I can think of.  If you post the keys you're looking at maybe I can tell you what they are.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2023, 07:47:21 am »
Thank you, again.  I will give reflowing the DS2433 a shot (can't see any solder tags and the dots line up) and if nothing from there, I'll try buzzing out the data trace and checking for activity to make sure it didn't get damaged somehow, and then looking at it with a scope in case there's some damage making the read waveform wonky.

Oddly, the cached data has disappeared in the registry, but regedit saved my spot, so it was in HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> LeCroy -> XStream -> Options -> XStream and it was in a folder name that was encoded somehow starting and ending with a curly bracket.  There were two binary keys in there, the second, longer one, had the format that seemed similar to the DS2433 dump.

I think that may have been the cached info, though, as the XStream root directory in the registry has a cached serial number - this could be explaining why it shows correctly in software but isn't properly communicating with things.
e
Even more oddly, on this boot, the touchscreen responded, but only slightly.  I went to calibrate and 3/5 points couldn't be reached near them on the screen, so the data is wonky, but perhaps the serial port was working properly and there's a connector not making full contact down the line (the flat flex from the screen to the display board is my first suspect).  Perhaps the device reading the screen hangs or doesn't report itself over serial when the sensor itself isn't present, as the driver was reporting nothing presnt on the port (defaults to COM3 regardless of PCI slot or driver reinstallation) in previous boots.  Luckily, it doesn't seem to be related to the version 8.1.2.0 installation.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2023, 10:33:31 am »
Your scope id comes from the ds2433.  If it's not reading correctly then neither are the licenses.  Your 7300 comes from the HBW license which can't be read, that's why it decides that it is a 7100.  The WP7K (and WR6K) have analog filters that limit the bandwidth in the front end and the BW option is purely cosmetic as far as I am aware.
For the 7k series there is a hardware bandwidth limit as well. You can mod a 7100/7200 into a 7300 but you'll need to replace some resistors / capacitors with a 0 Ohm resistor to get to full bandwidth (and install the 7300 license).

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2023, 01:59:08 pm »
Thank you, again.  I will give reflowing the DS2433 a shot ...

As someone have a valid dump of the eeprom as given ScopID to compare as one license key too...

as the given dump picture, shows in a readable form only valid license keys, no more... or do we need a real hex dump as first dump char's are bogus...

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2023, 04:58:51 am »
I modified the sketch to send hex characters as ascii, then converted it and saved as a binary.  For some reason just sending back didn't want to respond to commands from my default terminal program, so hopefully this suffices.  Should have some time to poke around in the next day or two for the physical parts of it.

Offline ollopa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2023, 05:42:10 am »
Maybe you sketch has a bug or the clock rate is too fast.  It appears there are missing bytes or nibbles, especially values of 0.  First of all the length should be 512 bytes but your dump is only 298.

The beginning two bytes of EEPROM are always 0x01 0x01 and I don't see that in your dump.  Instead I see one byte that is 0x11 -- you've dropped 4 bits of 0 from each byte.

Next comes the count of licenses as a little endian uint16 and you have 5 licenses so the next two bytes should be 0x05 0x00, but you have one byte 0x50 instead.

Next is the block size of 512 bytes = 0x200 which is 0x00 0x02 (uint16_t le). Instead you have 0x02 and are missing the byte of 0x00.

The following pattern in EEPROM  is always 0x00 0x00 0xff 0xff.  I can see the 0xffff pattern in your data but 0x0000 has been reduced to 0x00.  Again, this looks like a bug in your sketch.

Each of your 5 licenses should be terminated with the bytes 0x00 0x01 (and you guessed it, your dump only shows the 0x01 byte)

Towards the end you have this little sequence:  DD 0D F0    This is also missing nibbles.  It should be 0D D0 0D F0.  These are two 16-bit words that spell 0xD00D 0xF00D, a kind of hex-speak joke like 0xDEADBEEF that is used as a marker in the EEPROM to know that the data is valid/this is the start of the section where demo licenses are stored.

So to me it looks like 1) your sketch has a bug but otherwise 2) the contents of your EEPROM are correct.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 05:46:31 am by ollopa »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf