Author Topic: New 2GHz touchscreen scope from Tek, June 6th  (Read 221678 times)

Offline diyaudio

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Re: New 2GHz touchscreen scope from Tek, June 6th
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2017, 09:27:36 am »
Tektronix is dead,the Danaher doesnt even try to keep it alive,they are just milking the Tektronix name while it last.Keysight,Rohde & Schwarz and Lecroy poop all over Danahetronix.Once the kind of people who buy it just becose it have Tektronix name due to memories of old analog scopes that were high quality back in the day disappear,then Tektronix will end becose new electronic engineers arent going to know much about analog scopes so they will go for better performing Keysight or R&S.

jeez that's a bit cynical :(
Not really - just based on observation - They're still plodding on with ancient designs with 2.5k memory, and apart from the MDO ( with a terrible  slow UI ISTR) haven't done anything remotely innovative in over a decade. Keysight have been streets ahead of them for years, and R&S look like they could become a major player.

:-+

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
New 2GHz touchscreen scope from Tek, June 6th
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2017, 10:47:24 am »
You know, if Tek were to lower the price of their DPO/MSO2000B series to be competitive with Rigol, I think they could really take a good chunk of the low end market.

It's actually a pretty nice scope (up to 200MHz bandwidth, 4 analog channels, 16 digital channels) with 1M memory, digital phosphor, selectable digital glitch and noise filtering and pretty responsive controls.

I have an MSO2024B I use as my "daily driver" bench scope and like it a lot.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline sibeen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2017, 11:27:35 am »

Yokogawa has had scopes with many (>4) channels for decades so it isn't new.

Yep. I work in the power game in a roundabout way and my Yokogawa DL708, 8 channels is great for looking at slow signals. Mind you, it's about 20 years old now :)

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2017, 11:54:36 am »
Tektronix is dead,the Danaher doesnt even try to keep it alive,they are just milking the Tektronix name while it last.Keysight,Rohde & Schwarz and Lecroy poop all over Danahetronix.Once the kind of people who buy it just becose it have Tektronix name due to memories of old analog scopes that were high quality back in the day disappear,then Tektronix will end becose new electronic engineers arent going to know much about analog scopes so they will go for better performing Keysight or R&S.

Not really - just based on observation - They're still plodding on with ancient designs with 2.5k memory, and apart from the MDO ( with a terrible  slow UI ISTR) haven't done anything remotely innovative in over a decade. Keysight have been streets ahead of them for years, and R&S look like they could become a major player.

Respectfully, I disagree.  The "ancient" design scopes are still in production purely due to popular customer demand.  The DPO/MSO2000 series introduced several years ago was intended to replace them, but customers demanded both.  The new TBS2000 series introduced last year includes 20M of memory standard, 9" display, etc. On other fronts - there is the new scalable scope platform that features analog bandwidths from 23GHz to 70GHz (200GS/s).  In the last year or two there have been introductions of several new USB-driven Realtime Spectrum Analyzers with price/performance that is unmatched, while the realtime performance of the midrange RTSAs has been upgraded to >3M spectrums/sec.  On the high end of things, a new ultra-wideband realtime spectrum analyzer as introduced 6 months ago that features up to 800MHz realtime BW.  More recently, this year there is a new 8-channel, 16-bit, 5-10GS/s Arbitrary Waveform Generator and a new low cost Vector Network Analyzer.  So, I respectfully disagree that there hasn't been anything new or innovative in the last decade.

As for the new scope...  ...all I can say is...  ...you'll have to wait until June 6th
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 12:40:11 pm by w2aew »
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Monittosan, Muxr, FivePoint03, BrianH_Tektronix

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2017, 12:53:53 pm »

Respectfully, I disagree.  The "ancient" design scopes are still in production purely due to popular customer demand.  The DPO/MSO2000 series introduced several years ago was intended to replace them, but customers demanded both.  The new TBS2000 series introduced last year includes 20M of memory standard, 9" display, etc. On other fronts - there is the new scalable scope platform that features analog bandwidths from 23GHz to 70GHz (200GS/s).  In the last year or two there have been introductions of several new USB-driven Realtime Spectrum Analyzers with price/performance that is unmatched, while the realtime performance of the midrange RTSAs has been upgraded to >3M spectrums/sec.  On the high end of things, a new ultra-wideband realtime spectrum analyzer as introduced 6 months ago that features up to 800MHz realtime BW.  More recently, this year there is a new 8-channel, 16-bit, 5-10GS/s Arbitrary Waveform Generator and a new low cost Vector Network Analyzer.  So, I respectfully disagree that there hasn't been anything new or innovative in the last decade.

As for the new scope...  ...all I can say is...  ...you'll have to wait until June 6th
Fair enough -maybe my (and others') perception has been skewed by the terribleness of the 2.5k TBS scopes that were a colour rehash of a long-obsolete design, and poor UI on other Tek scopes.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: w2aew

Offline diyaudio

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2017, 12:56:32 pm »

I respectfully think your view is biased, because you work for Tek. One thing that I don't have to wait for is the price tag, few here will  ever own an the instrument or review it (i.e Dave), well unless.. Tek has some marketing like a Scope Month (which I highly) doubt!!, the marketing team seems like a tight arse bunch to me.  :popcorn:

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 01:12:06 pm by diyaudio »

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2017, 01:05:42 pm »
i respectfully think you are making assumption... he provided details to it you can make a homework based on that.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2017, 01:08:49 pm »

I respectfully think your view biased, because you work for Tek. One thing that I don't have to wait for is the price tag, few here will  ever own an the instrument or review it (i.e Dave), well unless.. Tek has some marketing like a Scope Month (which I highly) doubt!!, the marketing team seems like tight arse bunch to me.  :popcorn:

That's fair.  Am I biased? Sure, a little bit.   That said, there are certainly things that I'd like to see Tek do better, or do more of - that's true of all the major manufacturers.  My only point is that a broad-brushed characterization that Tektronix is dead and no longer innovating, is unfair, and from my perspective in working in the high performance arena - simply not true.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

The following users thanked this post: Muxr

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2017, 01:19:23 pm »

Maybe if Tek have still been managing to sell some of their overpriced dinosaurs on the back of past glories, they've earned enough  cash to develop something really interesting, but on past form anything new has to be firmly in the "We'll believe it when we see it" category.   

The Tek scopes are slower because they take the measurements from the whole acquisition memory rather than what's on the screen which is what Keysight does. Sure it may give you faster update rates but if the measurements are compromised then it is just a sales gimmick which looks good on a glossy brochure.

The following users thanked this post: MrW0lf

Offline tablatronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2017, 01:25:05 pm »
enhance...

The following users thanked this post: mtdoc

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2017, 01:34:45 pm »
I would really like to see Tek deliver an awesome scope. The more competition the better for us end consumers. Should be interesting to see what the community thinks of this new scope.. Also I miss Wuerstchenhund..
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 01:37:00 pm by Muxr »

The following users thanked this post: Wuerstchenhund, egonotto, newbrain, JPortici

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2017, 01:47:36 pm »
I would really like to see Tek deliver an awesome scope. The more competition the better for us end consumers. Should be interesting to see what the community thinks of this new scope.. Also I miss Wuerstchenhund..

2 GHz bandwidth is what got my attention. None of this 200MHz rubbish !!

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2017, 02:02:32 pm »

you are not the only one  :(

The following users thanked this post: Wuerstchenhund, Muxr, newbrain

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2017, 02:36:40 pm »
I respectfully think your view biased, because you work for Tek. One thing that I don't have to wait for is the price tag, few here will  ever own an the instrument or review it (i.e Dave), well unless.. Tek has some marketing like a Scope Month (which I highly) doubt!!, the marketing team seems like tight arse bunch to me.  :popcorn:
That's fair.  Am I biased? Sure, a little bit.   That said, there are certainly things that I'd like to see Tek do better, or do more of - that's true of all the major manufacturers.  My only point is that a broad-brushed characterization that Tektronix is dead and no longer innovating, is unfair, and from my perspective in working in the high performance arena - simply not true.
High performance is a niche market. Tektronix does not have anyhting interesting for the mainstream market. Ofcourse that can be a choice made by marketing but that does feed the feeling Tektronix is fading into oblivion.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: diyaudio

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2017, 03:03:37 pm »
In the last couple of years, I have sold all my Tektronix desktop scopes, because in comparison to my Keysight scopes they were far behind.  So behind, that I found myself not using them anymore. 

I have only a few handheld Tek scopes left, because they were really good in those days and still perform well.

Also, I am looking forward to a new wave of innovation from Tektronix, may be I will buy one again, but I highly doubt it.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline BrianH_Tektronix

• Contributor
  • BSEE | Tek Product Marketing Manager
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2017, 04:09:49 pm »
You'll have to wait until June 6th to find out all the details. It's going to be great!  :-+
Welcome to the forum, good to see you here.

Thanks, glad to be here. I look forward to answering some of the new scope's Q&As that arise after launch.
Product Marketing Manager & NPI planner, Tektronix Low Profile Scopes & Digitizers

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, telengard

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2017, 04:17:15 pm »
Brian - Are there any plans for faster USB VNA's? >12Ghz?

Sent from my horrible mobile....

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2017, 04:18:07 pm »
I'm not that excited about this 4ch - 2 GHz model they are showing off, it's way out of my price range. Will there be more models in this new generation?

Possible to get Tektronix mugs with this new logo?  :D

Offline BrianH_Tektronix

• Contributor
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2017, 04:19:45 pm »

Lets not forget the new IsoVu Optically Isolated 1 GHz System that provides CMRR of 1 million to 1 isolation and allows you too look at low voltage differential signals riding on up to 60kV common mode.    :clap:    :clap:
Product Marketing Manager & NPI planner, Tektronix Low Profile Scopes & Digitizers

Offline BrianH_Tektronix

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2017, 04:21:47 pm »

Sorry I don't know, and if I did, they wouldn't let me talk about our roadmaps.

Offline diyaudio

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2017, 04:46:59 pm »

Sorry I don't know, and if I did, they wouldn't let me talk about our roadmaps.

Why haven't you guys sent anything to Dave the last 4 years, that's my burning question, are you guys upset about the MDO3000 review ?  :popcorn:

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2017, 04:47:51 pm »
The Sweepstakes is not available in countries, states or provinces where local laws prohibit such offers, including Belgium, Sweden, Italy, Spain, Puerto Rico, and Quebec, Canada.
Shit!
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2017, 05:17:43 pm »
The Sweepstakes is not available in countries, states or provinces where local laws prohibit such offers, including Belgium, Sweden, Italy, Spain, Puerto Rico, and Quebec, Canada.
Shit!

I don't think it would matter much anyway, because: "PRIZE AVAILABLE: One [1] Tektronix New Era oscilloscope launching June 6th." (from the sweepstake's terms and conditions). Tight marketing budget?

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2017, 05:28:11 pm »

you are not the only one  :(

He's alive !!!  :-+

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2017, 05:37:14 pm »
The new TBS2000 series introduced last year includes 20M of memory standard, 9" display, etc.

re: ancient scopes. yeah, you can count battery powered bench scopes, isolated channels, with one hand... and tek TPS is one of them. the others are being requested just because old people and guys from uni don't know better and don't want to know better.
re: tbs2000, i only saw introductory videos from users and dave and they were embarassing. a maybe half finished product, i had so high hopes. have things improved?
re: others, i do have been eyeing the USB spectrum analyzers, they do seem to be a bargain for the price.

point is, majority of people will look for general purpose tools and tek seems to be very lacking in that aspect (i said seems), as ntnico already pointed out

He's alive !!!  :-+

i know ;)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 05:39:56 pm by JPortici »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf