Author Topic: New ANENG multimeter  (Read 57421 times)

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
Re: New ANENG multimeter
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2017, 10:36:15 am »
All that air is necessary to meet the clearance necessary for CAT IV 600 V ;).

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2017, 11:59:52 am »
It even has a CAT IV 600V rating! (what could go wrong?)
I bet it has a 0603 fuse for that 20A range.
It would be quite hilarious to plug the thing into 1000V of mains in that range. If you stand really far away.

Offline mstck

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2017, 05:33:37 pm »
Oh, all right. I confess, it's an AN860B+. Just having some fun.

It does seem a much better "first multimeter" than either the AN8002 or AN8008 though. I don't know why it hasn't had all the meter-fever that those two have had. Is it really just because it isn't compact? :-//

It also answers all of Dave's criticisms of the AN8008. It has the mA ranges, it has REL, etc. It even has temperature, MIN/MAX and a good frequency counter.

I expect ANENG is reading this and will launch a compact model with those features (especially since Dave's video on the AN8008). The AN860B+ is mostly air inside so it shouldn' tbe too difficult to reduce it.

PS: It looks like at least a few of you bought the story for a few seconds.  :popcorn:

Fungus,  I note that you posted a picture  in the other thread ( https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/an8008-us-$19-10000count-1uv-0-01ua-0-01ohm-resolution-meter/msg1268081/#msg1268081 ) of the AN850B+ not the 860B+, are they different meters? If so, can you help me with the differences. I am looking to acquire one for my bench.  I do not propose to use it in any high energy circuits, I have other fully rated meters for that purpose.

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2017, 06:02:36 pm »
This looks better than the AN8008 indeed. But still nothing I would recommend to a beginner. Wy ? Because you can get Fluke 25/75/etc or even Fluke 27 for around 25-40€ on ebay. It takes some time to find one, but so does the Aneng meter from China, if you order it there without fast shipping.
I don't think its good for beginners to buy cheap Chinese stuff. Because it's more likely to fail (I had some meters around that price range, some time after I begun with electronics that failed), or get inaccurate without any reason. Beginners may not understand that its not their fault and they could stop working with electronics.
I know that, because I was there. Luckily I did some research, and found out I wasn't the fault. That was a long time ago. Therefore I would suggest you take a look at the MS8340A. Which I still consider cheap, but better than a Aneng meter.
http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

Offline FungusTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2017, 07:53:39 pm »
Fungus,  I note that you posted a picture  in the other thread ( https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/an8008-us-$19-10000count-1uv-0-01ua-0-01ohm-resolution-meter/msg1268081/#msg1268081 ) of the AN850B+ not the 860B+

Did I? Ooops...  ::)

are they different meters?

Yes.

If so, can you help me with the differences.

I can try.

Does anything seem different if you look at pictures of them...?

:popcorn:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 08:38:53 pm by Fungus »

Offline mstck

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2017, 08:40:12 pm »
My bad.  :palm: Only took a cursory glance at the two units. Thanks.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2017, 08:55:51 pm »
My bad.  :palm: Only took a cursory glance at the two units. Thanks.

Glad I could help.  :)

The 860B+ looks like quite a good meter. Much better than any of the AN800X series in terms of feature set.

The AN8001 seems like a miniature version of the 850B+ (same features on the front panel).

I wonder if they're working on a miniature 860B+? Let's hope so - that would be an awesome meter for $20!  :-DMM

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2017, 08:59:55 pm »
It's like they're making prototypes and releasing then for production.

But this one seems good. Would pick it over a Uni-T.
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2017, 10:37:57 pm »
It's like they're making prototypes and releasing then for production.

Maybe they're being smart.

They keep releasing meters with missing features but everybody buys them anyway because, well, they're worth having.

Now if they release a mini AN860B+ a lot of people will buy it because it's the meter they were really after when they bought their AN8001s/AN8002s/AN8008s.

(I know I would...  :D )

Result: A whole load of people who bought two (or even three) meters just to get the one meter they really wanted. It's marketing genius.

(well, not genius - there's plenty of precedents)

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2017, 11:21:24 pm »
Does anything seem different if you look at pictures of them...?

:popcorn:

Nothing a drill can't fix  ;D
If you were that desperate of course.

The following users thanked this post: SimonD

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2017, 01:48:03 am »
It's the bullshit safety claims that are the problem  :rant:

Printed in the product manual "Safety Specifications EN61010-1:2010; EN61326-1:2013, FCC Part 15 Subpart B:2016"
On the multimeter front it says "Cat. III/1000V and Cat. IV/600V."

ANENG, please provide the Certificate of Conformance for any of this.

This would be criminal if done by any other manufacturer in any other nation but china.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, Electro Detective

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2017, 06:02:24 am »
I don't think VW is similar- they spoofed environmental not safety.
Low-dollar chinese DMM manufacturers need to stop making fake 61010 claims.
I know FCC does not allow stuff into the USA with fake Part 15 claims or logo, and when the shipments got rejected the chinese then obtained proper certs.

This new ANENG meter is physically larger than others so has a better chance at decent spacings.

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2017, 06:11:15 am »
It's the bullshit safety claims that are the problem  :rant:

Printed in the product manual "Safety Specifications EN61010-1:2010; EN61326-1:2013, FCC Part 15 Subpart B:2016"
On the multimeter front it says "Cat. III/1000V and Cat. IV/600V."

ANENG, please provide the Certificate of Conformance for any of this.

This would be criminal if done by any other manufacturer in any other nation but china.
I do not know about the AN8008 and the 860B but there are actually certificates for the ZOTEK ZT101 and ZT102 which are the ANENG 8001 and ANENG 8002:

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 06:25:24 am by amspire »

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2017, 06:19:26 am »

I don't think its good for beginners to buy cheap Chinese stuff. Because it's more likely to fail (I had some meters around that price range, some time after I begun with electronics that failed), or get inaccurate without any reason. Beginners may not understand that its not their fault and they could stop working with electronics.
Note:
This is not meant to be a personal criticism of the poster I quoted. It just prompted me to respond to a general issue I see.

If a meter from China is cheap, why is it cheap? Because it was made with cheap labour, lacks expensive safety components, didn't undergo expensive (?) safety testing, comes with low cost probes, doesn't have a shock absorbant outer casing and is sold in a bubble wrapped package? Or some other reason.  But where is the failure point that makes it so likely to fail quickly? What makes it get inaccurate all of a sudden? Lets make this discussion useful if we are going to have it.

I grow irritated with listening to forum posters regurgitate the same personal opinions without actually going beyond that point.

There is a very personal decision each of us make when choosing to purchase something "good enough". We've all bought stuff that wasn't and learned from it. If forum discussions are going to save others from our mistakes they have to go the extra bit beyond saying it is cheap and Chinese and should be avoided. No-one learns anything from that.
You made a good point and made me think about how I could improve my arguments.
And dont worry about offending/criticizing some one. This is positive critisism, that allows others to rethink. If somebody gets offendet by such posts.... well.....

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2017, 09:08:51 am »
I can easily think of an object or two to wipe down with those 'certificates'
before hitting the Flush button

I can envisage an entire courtroom conducting a Tactical Facepalm 
upon seeing these 'certificates' presented as evidence for the Defence
(after a giggle or three at a peek of the Chinglish manual)

Many of the members at this post can afford and own many good meters,

why litter the sacred workbench and professional toolbox with these suss toys?   ???
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 09:48:34 am by Electro Detective »

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2017, 09:19:35 am »
I can easily think of an object or two to wipe down with those 'certificates'
before hitting the Flush button

I can envisage an entire courtroom conducting Tactical Facepalms
upon seeing these 'certificates' presented as evidence for the Defence
(after a giggle or three after a gander at the Chinglish manual)

why litter the sacred workbench and professional toolbox with these suss toys?   ???
Could it be couriosity ? Too see personally if such a meter can be good for a specific purpose ?
Cheap stuff can have a kind of attraction. Atleast what i noticed over the years...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2017, 09:46:27 am »
Cheap Stuff Curiosity usually impacts wages on the poor oppressed workforce overseas to keep up with 'demand',
I don't want to be actively participating to that if I can help it.

If I can't afford a decent $100+ meter this week, then it'll have to wait for next week or month,
after evaluating if I really need it
and how much actual use it will get if or after the initial novelty dwindles,

..and it's back to Flukes and other decent meters with GENUINE Certification,  :-+

not copy/paste BS printouts on the cheapest paper

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2017, 10:49:09 am »
If a meter from China is cheap, why is it cheap? Because it was made with cheap labour, lacks expensive safety components, didn't undergo expensive (?) safety testing, comes with low cost probes, doesn't have a shock absorbant outer casing and is sold in a bubble wrapped package?

Yes.

Or some other reason.  But where is the failure point that makes it so likely to fail quickly? What makes it get inaccurate all of a sudden? Lets make this discussion useful if we are going to have it.

There can be mechanical failures due to weak input jacks, etc. The probes on most DT830Bs are made with a loose wire going down a tube and soldered to the metal tip. The wires can move around a lot inside the tube and they break off easily. Some people put hot glue in the top of the tube to prevent this.

These ANENG meters are a big step up from DT830B level though. I see no reason why one won't give many years of service on a hobbyist bench.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2017, 10:56:53 am »

Yep.

(sigh)

a) One meter isn't enough for all possible readings.

b) They want one to leave in the truck, one to leave in the garage, one to take to Arduino club, one for when the zombies attack...

Should all those secondary meters cost $500, too?

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2017, 11:16:24 am »
one for when the zombies attack...

For zombie attack U1282A much better than these soap boxes :P

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2017, 12:56:07 pm »
one for when the zombies attack...

For zombie attack U1282A much better than these soap boxes [emoji14]
There needs to be a Fluke 25 or similar melee weapon mod for L4D2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2017, 01:01:36 pm »
For zombie attack U1282A much better than these soap boxes [emoji14]
There needs to be a Fluke 25 or similar melee weapon mod for L4D2
I think you just need good strong test leads to tie it to a stick.

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2017, 05:31:57 pm »
There can be mechanical failures due to weak input jacks, etc. The probes on most DT830Bs are made with a loose wire going down a tube and soldered to the metal tip. The wires can move around a lot inside the tube and they break off easily. Some people put hot glue in the top of the tube to prevent this.

The point is absolutely correct, but I think in the image is the mini analog multimeter probe. It's a bit different than what I got with the DT830D, and might be even thinner. I'm not sure how well it's crimped/soldered at the end, so I just didn't want to risk finding out once it breaks. At least the contact jacks are on the right place (directly on PCB), while on DT830D (and some Aneng I guess) they are not. Everything else is hmm with that meter. The white spots on the PCB (whatever they are) come as a free extra.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2017, 05:34:30 pm »
I looked at the two ZT102/AN8002  Certificate of Conformance.
The 61010 Certificate of Conformance is for low voltage 3V  :-DD  |O :o death by AA battery
There are always loopholes to fudge claims and again, fake safety claims are what I prefer to rant about.

The FCC Part 15B I could not find Information of Grant, Report R011611815E, File number AT011611815E, FCC ID, accreditation of Anbotek in the FCC database. It's not as important as the multimeter does not transmit RF, but still looking shady.

Stumbled onto recent FCC approval for a multimeter DT9660T. Uses Bluetooth 2.4GHz.
It looks like proper approvals have been obtained for it, decent manual and immunity testing.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 05:40:33 pm by floobydust »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2017, 10:20:39 pm »

Yep.

(sigh)

a) One meter isn't enough for all possible readings.

b) They want one to leave in the truck, one to leave in the garage, one to take to Arduino club, one for when the zombies attack...

Should all those secondary meters cost $500, too?

My comment re spending $100+   doesn't mean $500  (well it sort of might, if you score a used $500 meter for $100+ )

When the zombies come down hard and the AK is empty,

you'll need a Fluke 1520 and 289 as backup, 

after they eat all those ANENGs...  >:D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf