Author Topic: New ANENG multimeter  (Read 57513 times)

Online FungusTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: New ANENG multimeter
« Reply #150 on: August 21, 2017, 03:11:14 pm »
Btw Fungus, did you decide to buy that mini Aneng in the end? The one even smaller than DT.

Yes.

It's exactly what I was hoping for, a tiny little multimeter!

Plastics are good, screen is good, probes are quite good, it measures quite well (...and it's easy to calibrate - just turn a pot!)

Here it is making a DT830B look massive:

I can't wait to take it to Arduino club in September.  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 03:23:12 pm by Fungus »

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #151 on: August 21, 2017, 04:13:01 pm »
Btw Fungus, did you decide to buy that mini Aneng in the end? The one even smaller than DT.

Yes.

It's exactly what I was hoping for, a tiny little multimeter!

Plastics are good, screen is good, probes are quite good, it measures quite well (...and it's easy to calibrate - just turn a pot!)

Here it is making a DT830B look massive:

I can't wait to take it to Arduino club in September.  :popcorn:

Looks neat. :) If known, are they based on the same IC?

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #152 on: August 21, 2017, 06:37:47 pm »
Beginning of Joe's AN8008 robustness testing, he shows results of  Meguiar's PlastX polishing compound for car headlights. It worked great on his multimeter display bezels  8)

The ANENG AN8008.  Enjoy.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #153 on: August 21, 2017, 06:41:39 pm »
Fungus, I got the same mini and have the same impression as you: plastics are good, the rotary switch is pretty tight, the contrast is remarkable and it is pretty simple to calibrate. Contrary to you, I found the probes just passable, but for the price I am not complaining. Also, the unit specifies a non-existing 250mA fuse. At least is does not have BS CAT ratings, but it is somewhat optimistic at 500VAC and 500VDC. I like the battery tester.

Yes, it is clearly a 7106-based DMM.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #154 on: August 21, 2017, 06:42:05 pm »
Beginning of Joe's AN8008 robustness testing, he shows results of  Meguiar's PlastX polishing compound for car headlights. It worked great on his multimeter display bezels  8)

The ANENG AN8008.  Enjoy.

I doubt I could find that one. Maybe I could find something similar. Although $8 is better if you are going to use it on multiple things (or something expensive).
I guess it's hard to compare these things unless they list all of the ingredients and quantities. Or at least the ingredients.
Microscopic Diminishing Abrasive™ Technology (MDAT)
doesn't mean very much to me.

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #155 on: August 21, 2017, 06:47:41 pm »
Fungus, I got the same mini and have the same impression as you: plastics are good, the rotary switch is pretty tight, the contrast is remarkable and it is pretty simple to calibrate. Contrary to you, I found the probes just passable, but for the price I am not complaining. Also, the unit specifies a non-existing 250mA fuse. At least is does not have BS CAT ratings, but it is somewhat optimistic at 500VAC and 500VDC. I like the battery tester.

Regarding the fuse, the DT830D I have also specifies "please install..." Fuse, but there isn't even a Fuse holder inside. That said, I guess one could install a fuse with some work if necessary.
As for the probes, they look better than the DT830D (no hot glue necessary?), without having seen them first hand, that's all I can say.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 06:49:13 pm by kalel »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #156 on: August 21, 2017, 08:36:44 pm »

Regarding the fuse, the DT830D I have also specifies "please install..." Fuse, but there isn't even a Fuse holder inside. That said, I guess one could install a fuse with some work if necessary.
As for the probes, they look better than the DT830D (no hot glue necessary?), without having seen them first hand, that's all I can say.
The ones I have are fused, but the quality eroded over the years. Several years ago I did a small teardown and years later I got another one that barely had a fuse...  :--
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #157 on: August 21, 2017, 08:53:48 pm »
Fungus, I got the same mini and have the same impression as you: plastics are good, the rotary switch is pretty tight, the contrast is remarkable and it is pretty simple to calibrate.
:)

Contrary to you, I found the probes just passable, but for the price I am not complaining.

OK, not great, but better than the ones I got with my DT830.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 10:11:43 am by Fungus »

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #158 on: August 22, 2017, 02:13:08 am »
Just curious, do we know if the AN850B+ has the same PCB contacts inside for the rubber buttons as the AN860B+, and only the actual buttons are removed, or is it a different PCB?

Well, apart from the temperature missing, but those things are programmed in.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #159 on: August 22, 2017, 09:19:22 am »

The DT830 is/was quite a good meter but the design was massively cloned and people have been removing anything they can just to save $0.0001 in manufacturing. Fuses were one of the first things to go, followed by buzzers, etc.

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #160 on: September 06, 2017, 11:23:09 am »
I'm getting about a 3 degree difference from the TM-902C.

I'm not yet sure if that might be due to the measurement method (I'm not sure how to get two probes to measure exactly the same spot).

I tested it on, flat surface and attached with some tape to a 1w resistor (obviously not exactly the same spot, and each spot will have a slightly different temperature).
In both cases there was a similar difference.

Offline i4004

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #161 on: July 04, 2019, 05:13:40 pm »
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPjCNpJMf60HOrnCO2RDKxX5pzcgO19hhYET1hpyagABU1fVbjPTrG5qbOnyCj-2w?key=ekU1VHE2T3QySlg0a3dXUXByQ2FMQjZKSkhub3R3

works normally once supply voltage passes 3V....

works normally if you "boot" it at 3V and then bring voltage down to 2.4V...reset it at 2.4V and then back to the bug...

Offline Stinger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #162 on: October 24, 2019, 11:13:33 pm »
the DT830D definitely has great contrast from all angles. No backlight though, maybe it's related?

I often wonder why big manufacturers like Fluke/Brymen/etc. can't get their LCDs as good as the freebie DT830Bs.  :-//

(can anybody explain it?)

I can try explain. The DT830 appears to use 9VDC power and direct-drive (no multiplexing) ala ICL7106. This is pretty much the highest LCD contrast you can get.

The DMM0660 used in most meters runs off less with 3VDC. But has a LCD charge-pump inverter which is programmable with 4 LCD bias levels, at EEPROM F9H: 3.3V, 3.05V, 2.8V, 2.55V. The meters come set to level 3/4. I have not tried cranking it up or if I translated this properly.

So you get ~6V drive to the LCD but it uses multiplexing 1/4 duty cycle 1/3 bias, to cut down the pin count, so again you lose contrast there.

Extended temperature LCD fluids, good to -20C or -30C require high drive voltage and more finicky with temperature, you'd need a pot to keep adjusting it.
Hello,

Thank's for explanations.

I have DT830b and other newer DMM (AN8009, UT210e and AN860b+).

DT830b have better contrast.

It is possible to improve contrast on AN860 and AN870 by changing EEPROM F9H at 3.3V ?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf