Author Topic: New Digilent Analog Discovery 2 NI edition  (Read 8974 times)

Offline sportqTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
New Digilent Analog Discovery 2 NI edition
« on: August 29, 2015, 03:46:40 pm »

I just noticed there's a new version of the Analog Discovery. The specs seem very similar to the original but it looks like it's been re-packaged (reduce cost?), it's square rather than rectangular and the I/O pin configuration looks different:

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/213328

The information on that page is very sparse, anyone know more? Maybe the 'NI Edition' label means they'll bundle it with Labview Home Edition? The data sheet appears to show Waveforms with a dark UI, maybe that's coming in the v3 software?

I've found the original AD very useful and I still use it regularly even though I have a Rigol DS1104Z.

Pete

Offline dadler

• Supporter
Re: New Digilent Analog Discovery 2 NI edition
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 04:26:59 am »
"Windows and Mac OS X support"

I don't recall the old version having Mac support. If indeed it does have full Mac software, I may have to bite.

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 06:53:41 am »

I don't recall the old version having Mac support. If indeed it does have full Mac software, I may have to bite.

Can't they just give the damn specs so software like Sigrok support it? What a shame.

Offline gyrfalcon16

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 05:56:24 pm »
Does anyone know where you can go to get the student pricing on this or the original?  I only see acedemic pricing on digilentinc.com.  It mentions that professors can get their students a free analog parts kit if they email sales.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 07:01:16 pm »

Waveforms 3 also has a linux variant, which is improving by leaps and bounds. Most of the Waveforms 2 features are there, and it is also scriptable.

I presume there's no conflict with NI's other products.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline JonnyBoats

• Regular Contributor
    • BitsConnect
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 01:47:41 am »
Just want to give this thread a bump. Has anyone seen a comparison of the Discovery to the Discovery 2?

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 02:34:14 am »
Just want to give this thread a bump. Has anyone seen a comparison of the Discovery to the Discovery 2?

As recently discussed in a couple of other threads here, other than a new case and marketing, the evidence so far is that the only significant hardware difference is the addition of an external power input that allows more amps out of the power supply.  It would be good to see a side by side tear down and performance comparison though.

Offline mroz

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 10:08:33 am »
Does anyone know where you can go to get the student pricing on this or the original?  I only see acedemic pricing on digilentinc.com.  It mentions that professors can get their students a free analog parts kit if they email sales.

In Poland I've bought AnalogDiscovery ( 1 ), through local reseller for "Academic price". The only thing I had to do is provide them with some data about my studies and use my academic email address (@edu.example.com ). I'am not sure, but probably I also had to send a photo of my students legitimation. Best way is to search for a local reseller on the Digilent site.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 05:49:11 am »
I did purchased mine  (Gen 1) from cidcorp in this website but it was a one off sale:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/fs-digilent-analog-discovery/

Been enjoying it for the almost one year. Gen 2 would be nice but I already have constant curren/voltage power supplies

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf