Author Topic: New EEVBlog-Branded Multimeter Coming?  (Read 166904 times)

Offline Tsippaduida

• Contributor
Re: New EEVBlog-Branded Multimeter Coming?
« Reply #250 on: December 02, 2017, 08:58:08 pm »
Watched Joe's transient test on preproduction unit. Impressive. Dave said this will be targeted more to electronics and for that use it seems to be robust enough.

If the price will be around 200 coins ($/£/€) I'm happy with it. Might get two of them. I have two of the previous Dave's DMMs and for my use they have been really good.

I wonder how many of us will get most of the gear Dave offers. I gather quite many of us have e.g. the uCurrent -unit (me included).

The following users thanked this post: Russ

Offline arekm

• Supporter
« Reply #251 on: December 02, 2017, 10:06:23 pm »
I wonder when supporters (patreon & forum) 40 units are going to be ready && shipped?  :)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #252 on: December 02, 2017, 10:48:33 pm »
I wonder when supporters (patreon & forum) 40 units are going to be ready && shipped?  :)

The issue is fixed and the units are being shipped December 5th.

The following users thanked this post: iainwhite, Russ

Offline chriswebb

• Supporter
« Reply #253 on: December 03, 2017, 11:44:02 pm »
Always learning. The greatest part of life is that there will always be more to learn.

The following users thanked this post: rstofer

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #254 on: December 04, 2017, 03:04:20 am »
Just snagged # 300  8)

Only a few left from batch 1   :-DMM
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Russ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #255 on: December 04, 2017, 06:56:36 am »
Looks good. What will the price be in U.S. dollars?

Thanks

Offline arekm

• Supporter
« Reply #256 on: December 04, 2017, 07:00:39 am »
Google can calculate for you - searching for "265 AUD to USD" says 201 USD (+ shipping).

The following users thanked this post: Russ

Offline arekm

• Supporter
« Reply #257 on: December 04, 2017, 07:12:30 am »

From Korea, so UEI leads and not Brymen like in kickstarter, right?

Offline Kuro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #258 on: December 04, 2017, 09:02:59 am »
Any news on when the 121GW will be available to the general public on Dave's shop (not kickstarter) and at what price?
The universe is made of protons, neutrons, electrons and morons - March for Science 2017

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Offline Russ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #259 on: December 04, 2017, 03:30:44 pm »
How different is it from his Brymen 235 model, which I like? I am still awaiting delivery of extra fuses. 👍

Thanks
Russ

Offline Candid

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #260 on: December 07, 2017, 06:51:45 pm »
Will we get an email with tracking when they are shipped? I got my invoice with order number 11039 on 25th Nov but no more information since then and I am extremely curious if I will get a christmas present.  :-+
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:54:41 pm by Candid »

Offline mandor

• Contributor
« Reply #261 on: December 31, 2017, 05:02:37 pm »
So is there some video of features. I know about low burden. Seems dual display... what else. Is there some kind of review /comparison / specifications? I know that there is the manual, but some kind of overview?

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #262 on: December 31, 2017, 05:41:49 pm »
Did you watch the videos Dave has released?   If not, go  to his EEVBLOG 2 youtube page, go to the 121GW playlist and have a look.  I had a few videos for one of the preproduction units but nothing like a full review of it because it was still under development.  The first one where I transient test the meter is still available to watch.  The others were basically showing the bar graph speed, repairing the meter a few times and repeating the transient tests after attempting to harden it.  There was a video on measuring power but the meter had a few problems then.  I agree that it will be good to see what they came up with.  The Brymen he rebranded is obviously a solid meter and I would expect similar quality and robustness from this meter.  It is a 121GW after all.    :-DD 

Once they start to show up, I imagine that YT will be swamped with reviews for it.  Based on this site's membership, I would expect some of these reviews will be fairly detailed.  Just give it a little time.

Offline mandor

• Contributor
« Reply #263 on: December 31, 2017, 05:45:51 pm »
I've seen those testing videos and what errors Dave was describing. I was just curious about what features it had and how it would compare to Brymen, UNITrend, Fluke, whatever.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #264 on: December 31, 2017, 07:35:29 pm »
Those are the only videos that I am aware of available to the public.  Doesn't the manual explain what features it has?   If not, that seems like a pretty big miss.  You should be able to compare the manuals of the various meters you want to compare with it.  It's a bit of an oddball with it's unique feature set, so I'm note sure what meters you would compare it against or what criteria you would use.   I thought they were trying to ship the first ones to get them out for Christmas but I am not sure if they shipped or not and with Dave going on vacation right in the middle of it, it may be a while before you start seeing reviews.  I bet when they get out there though, the flood gates will open up for reviews.   :-DD    2018 is going to be a fun year! 

Offline mandor

• Contributor
« Reply #265 on: December 31, 2017, 07:40:17 pm »
Well, i had a look at the manual, but I am not that knowledgable of multimeters. I would prefer if someone laid it out for me :-)
He said he will not meet the deadline, i believe. I just wondered if I missed some videos or blogs about it. Looks like it was all kind of a secret?

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #266 on: December 31, 2017, 08:45:56 pm »
Well, i had a look at the manual, but I am not that knowledgable of multimeters. I would prefer if someone laid it out for me :-)
He said he will not meet the deadline, i believe. I just wondered if I missed some videos or blogs about it. Looks like it was all kind of a secret?

There've been blog videos about it during its development. Here's the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL24OiKqd2iN-PIGiG6akcX6e_UimarIH6
Also look at the start date of THIS thread, which is about a year ago. That's not how you keep secrets!

And the video you seem to be demanding does exist:
https://youtu.be/5cVrGcdV5JA

Offline mandor

• Contributor
« Reply #267 on: December 31, 2017, 08:53:40 pm »
I have seen all that, but.... why? Why is this so much better? Burden? Accuracy? Like i said, I'm no expert...  It's not like there is in debth video about it and we are talking about a man that makes 30 minute summary videos :-D

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #268 on: December 31, 2017, 09:00:12 pm »
All I can say is patience. It's not like you can even order one yet, if you didn't get in on the kickstarter. Kickstarter deliveries are expected to take until March to complete. So by the time you CAN order one, there will be plenty of reviews.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #269 on: December 31, 2017, 09:03:05 pm »
I think if you don't want to take the time to read the manual,  you will just have to wait until they start showing up.  If you followed my thread, I doubt you missed any videos.   

Yes, he did limit the information.  It took a fair amount of time before we knew who the supplier was.   They made the software available on the web (on purpose or by mistake) and at least this is how I found out.   :-DD    He also talked about it from time to time on their PodCast show as well as posting the few videos.  Most of the information was under the contributor's section which would limit the exposure as well.

I was hoping he would have made a full on review of it before it started to ship as it may have proved insightful even if it had some bias.   He did say they made a change to the reference but that is the only hardware change I have seen him post about.   He did post a few comments comparing it with the Fluke 87V's robustness and it sounded like he was happy with it as is.   While I did offer some suggestions on how they may be able to improve it's robustness (as I have shown, that stuff is not rocket science anyway),  I doubt based on Dave's comments that part of the design was changed.   There really would be no reason for me to repeat any of my transient tests except to document the results as he did not want the prototype meter's data published.    But my guess is you will see people doing all sorts of things with it once they have it in their hands.    Just takes time.   

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #270 on: December 31, 2017, 11:34:05 pm »
I started reviewing the videos I had made along with the comments people had posted thinking I may reconsider making them available.  Even months later,  I think even though Dave never asked me to pull them it's still the right decision to leave them down.  The biggest problem I see is even though I would say throughout the videos that it was pre-production and not released, some people would spot bugs during the testing and post about them, which or course made other viewers confused if these problems would be in the final meter or not.  So even now, I can still understand Dave's concerns. 

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #271 on: December 31, 2017, 11:36:21 pm »

Even if someone laid it out for you it wouldn't help. If you are not that knowledgeable about multimeters then you wouldn't recognize whether the features of the meter are useful for you or not, or whether it is a better meter for you than some other one.

Offline mandor

• Contributor
« Reply #272 on: January 01, 2018, 08:18:12 am »
I don't have to know anything to enjoy information. Dave's videos usualy say "look at this! this is crap because this and this. When you compare it with this multimeter, you see the difference!"
That is all I need. I'm just interested. I wasn't even aware he did the kickstarter until it was already over.
It just seemed strange to me that so many people would order a multimeter without knowing exact specs, so i figured i missed some information. That is all.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #273 on: January 01, 2018, 08:48:25 am »
I don't have to know anything to enjoy information. Dave's videos usualy say "look at this! this is crap because this and this. When you compare it with this multimeter, you see the difference!"
That is all I need. I'm just interested. I wasn't even aware he did the kickstarter until it was already over.
It just seemed strange to me that so many people would order a multimeter without knowing exact specs, so i figured i missed some information. That is all.

The exact specs and features are listed in the manual.
As others have said, if you can't use that to evaluate a $250 meter yourself, then, well, you shouldn't buy it. There are many people who can, and those are likely the people  who bought it.
If you want a review the you'll have to wait for someone to do one.

Offline mandor

• Contributor
« Reply #274 on: January 01, 2018, 09:06:34 am »
Ok, guys, is there some kind of problem?
I did not say I wanted or needed to buy one.
I am interested in it purely because of my interest in electronics.
I have watched a lot of teardowns just because I am interested. I find it interesting.
I can look at specifications but I does not tell me what kind of problems can be solved with using this meter over some others.
I understand that the burden is better. I see it is better shielded from outside statics or whatever.
I was just asking if there was a comprehensive info in form ov a video or a page that states which things are improved over other well amde and well known meters. I have a 10 year old mid class UniT and it works well for me as I am not doing anything serius.
I don't understand how was I not clear on that and why some of the responses should be "don't buy one if you can't read the manual", paraphrased.
Big thanks to all that confirmed that information was limited and I am looking forward to teardowns, reviews and such!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf