Author Topic: New EEVBlog-Branded Multimeter Coming?  (Read 165795 times)

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
Re: New EEVBlog-Branded Multimeter Coming?
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2017, 06:46:43 am »
The front of the instrument should have boasted a
True RMS
   LOW BURDEN
      NO BULLSHIT

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2017, 06:56:33 am »
I think $250 is a good price point for it, or possibly $270 (twice that of the BM235).
Well, hopefully a lot less.
That's a lot for just a multimeter. I have a Brymen with similar accuracy and that wasn't even near that price.

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2017, 06:57:43 am »
I think $250 is a good price point for it, or possibly $270 (twice that of the BM235).
Well, hopefully a lot less.
That's a lot for just a multimeter. I have a Brymen with similar accuracy and that wasn't even near that price.

We all want it as cheap as possible  ;)

Offline DavidDLC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2017, 06:58:04 am »
I'm wondering what the other multimeter manufacturers are thinking about this design.

Are they afraid of this competition ?

Are they going to copy the low burden design ? Dave do you have patent for it ?

David DLC

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2017, 09:10:18 am »
Don't worry about that, it's not anywhere near that price.

The Brymen 869s sells in Germany for about 219.- EUR incl. VAT.

https://www.welectron.com/Brymen-BM869s-Multimeter

I think, Dave's meter will be around this price.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2017, 09:19:04 am »

Get hem from Poland and you'd probably even pay less.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2017, 09:31:43 am »

Get hem from Poland and you'd probably even pay less.

No, that price is actually better, in Poland its 197,62 € without VAT, plus 7€ S&H.. Here it is 184,03 € (without VAT) + free S&H...

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2017, 10:09:02 am »
Here it's €420  :palm:

Proof: http://www.elma-instruments.no/_no/Produkter/Lists;130070/Elektro/Multimetre/p/5706445410378?shop.product.id=5706445410378 (the large price is excluding VAT of 25%, real price in small text below).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:15:17 am by TheAmmoniacal »

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2017, 10:25:38 am »
Dave, please tell me that UI on the app is going to go? I will design you a new one for free if need be.
It's like the guy looked into his toilet after a hard night on the town for inspiration.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: PointyOintment, Rémi

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2017, 10:30:34 am »
Dave, please tell me that UI on the app is going to go? I will design you a new one for free if need be.
It's like the guy looked into his toilet after a hard night on the town for inspiration.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

It will be an open protocol, so I'm sure the community here will put together something decent! The app available now is more for testing connectivity and to have a basic app available at launch.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2017, 10:44:00 am »
No, that price is actually better, in Poland its 197,62 € without VAT, plus 7€ S&H.. Here it is 184,03 € (without VAT) + free S&H...

You mean this one? http://www.eleshop.nl/brymen-bm869s-multimeter.html
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2017, 11:22:07 am »

It's a basic app so there is something to test the basic bluetooth connectivity now and at launch time.
The manufacturer probably just contracted someone on Fivvr to do it, I had no input into it.

Likely I'll just leave it up to the community, the protocol will be open and I don't mind if someone writes one and sells it. The best app will win out in the end.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 12:06:58 pm by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: PointyOintment

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2017, 12:52:46 pm »

You mean this one? http://www.eleshop.nl/brymen-bm869s-multimeter.html

No, not from the Netherlands... :-)
But yeah that is also in the same ballpark.. I think TME increased a price litlle a bit, USD fluctuation and such... In November , price was few € less...

Offline iaeen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2017, 01:27:14 pm »

This is what I'm hoping.

I was thinking about the 869 for my next DMM purchase, but this is definitely going to be considered. The Brymen goes for around $250 in the US (mostly because it's hard to find I think). I'd probably be willing to pay a slight premium for this, but the appeal would diminish rapidly as the price goes above $300.

Online Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2017, 06:34:34 pm »
Hopefully around the 200usd mark [emoji6]

If it is above $300 I believe a more detailed CN23 form needs to be completed, which would add to the shipping overhead.

It needs to be priced right to sell.  To high and the won't sell many.  There is a difference between an impulse purchase and having to worry about how affording it and slip YAMM past the SWMBO.

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2017, 07:43:54 pm »
Re: pricing

Maybe Dave could offer two versions of the 121GW meter - a regular version at a sensible price, and an upgraded version with gold plating and personally autographed by Dave for $800+ aimed at Completionists and the members of "Test Equipment Anonymous"  ? ?

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2017, 07:47:57 pm »
Likely I'll just leave it up to the community, the protocol will be open and I don't mind if someone writes one and sells it. The best app will win out in the end.

Winner winner chicken dinner
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2017, 07:55:28 pm »
Why is the degrees Celsius annunciator an upper index of the primary display when Dave is measuring voltage? Why is "Apo" spelled with only the "A" capitalized, like it was a word and not an acronym for "Auto Power Off"? Probably already answered long time ago in the contributors' lounge but well, I'm a tightwad, it seems :P

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2017, 08:21:40 pm »
Why is the degrees Celsius annunciator an upper index of the primary display when Dave is measuring voltage?

My guess would be that the upper region changes depending on what you're measuring. In AC V it's probably frequency etc. Possibly you can select what the top deck displays, or maybe  it's just temp when measuring DC V rather than displaying nothing up there.

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2017, 08:26:16 pm »
Don't get too caught up in what you're seeing now, the meter you're seeing is not a finished product! :) 

The following users thanked this post: Zbig

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2017, 08:27:25 pm »
My guess would be that the upper region changes depending on what you're measuring. In AC V it's probably frequency etc. Possibly you can select what the top deck displays, or maybe  it's just temp when measuring DC V rather than displaying nothing up there.

Yes, that's almost certainly like you described and other meters do it like that, indeed. My only gripe is the location of the symbol. Like it is right now, it strongly implies it refers to the primary (lower, bigger) value instead of the secondary, top one.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2017, 08:31:00 pm »
Don't get too caught up in what you're seeing now, the meter you're seeing is not a finished product! :)

I believe Dave said it was.  They are not going to redo the mold at this stage.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2017, 08:33:57 pm »
Don't get too caught up in what you're seeing now, the meter you're seeing is not a finished product! :)

I believe Dave said it was.  They are not going to redo the mold at this stage.

Firmware.. Don't see anything wrong with the shape..

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2017, 08:57:44 pm »
Re: pricing

Maybe Dave could offer two versions of the 121GW meter - a regular version at a sensible price, and an upgraded version with gold plating and personally autographed by Dave for $800+ aimed at Completionists and the members of "Test Equipment Anonymous"  ? ?

I agree and since they will be funded by Kickstarter, it would be easy to have different custom versions.  I assume the gold plating would be a challenge.  Can gold be plated on plastic?  Maybe a jeweler could carve out some plastic and insert thin layer of gold into the plastic.  I bet a good jeweler could do magic on them.

Would be fun to see if Dave does this.  I could not afford one but I would like to see one and it sure would be an unique item.   

Maybe he could list one for $100,000 US for a sold gold case (like some Apple phones).  Does gold make good shielding?

Oh hell lets go for a gold and diamond version for $1,000,000 US and list it in Neman Markus Christmas Catalog

But anyway I think it a good idea to have some sort of custom versions available on KS.  Make one version stand out by being the most expensive meter in the world.  After all with KS he would get the money first.  Dave could even ask for ideas here.

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2017, 09:23:00 pm »

Yes, that's almost certainly like you described and other meters do it like that, indeed. My only gripe is the location of the symbol. Like it is right now, it strongly implies it refers to the primary (lower, bigger) value instead of the secondary, top one.

Oh yup, I see what you mean. It does look like the °C icon is right next to the lower reading. I guess they haven't put the temp symbols on the top and the bottom. I wonder if the video shows a power on LCD test anywhere, so we can see all of the available things the LCD can show...

It also seems to go blank on the reading screen for quite a long time when it is auto ranging up in the DC V mode.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf