Author Topic: New firmware for Keysight 3000T and 4000 series scopes - version 7.11  (Read 17193 times)

Offline TheSteveTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Edit - version 7.11 has now replaced version 7.10

Download here:

http://www.keysight.com/main/software.jspx?ckey=2573488&lc=eng&cc=CA&nid=-11143.0.00&id=2573488

Release notes:

http://www.keysight.com/main/redirector.jspx?action=ref&nid=-11143.0.00&lc=eng&cc=CA&ckey=2573486&cname=EDITORIAL&nfr=-11143.0.00

It looks like the new firmware Daniel from Keysight mentioned during scopemonth has been released for the 3000T and 4000 series scopes.

The firmware version has changed from 4.08 to 7.10 (quite the odd change).

New features added:

–Added Frequency Response Analyzer option (DSOXT3FRA).
–Added Manchester/NRZ serial decode option (DSOXT3NRZ).

Enhancements:

–The measurement system has been updated to provide more flexibility to support new measurements with more complex configurations.  Some installed measurements will not be recallable if the setup (.scp) file was created with firmware prior to version 7.10.
–Users can now pick specific edges to be used by the Delay measurement. 
–Bartlett is now supported as an FFT window choice. 
–The UART serial decode now supports baud rates to 12Mbits/s. 
–DVM and training signals are now standard features.
–Added random trigger holdoff feature. 
–Added support to the NFC option for NFC-F reverse polarity triggering.
–Added Channel Power, Occupied Bandwidth, Adjacent Power Ratio, and Total Harmonic Distortion measurements

Bug Fixes:

–Fixed an issue where in certain circumstances the Serial Lister would not properly display some UART data.
–Fixed an issue where in certain circumstances the Peak-Peak measurement was incorrect. 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 07:25:08 am by TheSteve »
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: Keysight DanielBogdanoff

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
Re: New firmware for Keysight 3000T and 4000 series scopes - version 7.10
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 08:30:40 pm »
Download link:

3000T:
http://www.keysight.com/main/software.jspx?ckey=2573488

4000X:
(It's the same firmware) It's NOT the same firmware, make sure you use the right version for your scope.
http://www.keysight.com/main/software.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng&ckey=2287602
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 04:14:31 pm by Keysight_DanielBogdanoff »

The following users thanked this post: radhaz

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 08:33:23 pm »
Nice!

Thanks for posting this.
[edit]
Ooh! I have to say I LOVE the new axis labels. Much faster than counting graticle lines.
Thanks R&S!.... I mean Keysight.... ;)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 08:50:54 pm by Dubbie »

The following users thanked this post: radhaz

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 02:13:00 am »
I'm not a fan of the safety warning when enabling 50 ohm input.

Daniel - Do you guys have plans to add further options that aren't included in the app bundle?

I doubt I will need NFC triggering or CXPI triggering/decode but it makes the app bundle feel a little less complete now. With so much competition in the scope market at the moment I am surprised they weren't included in the bundle(yes I have the app bundle for my 3024T).
VE7FM

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 05:20:16 am »
N
[edit]
Ooh! I have to say I LOVE the new axis labels. Much faster than counting graticle lines.

I know! I've been asking R&D to put this in for a long, long time. Also, ouch :).

Daniel - Do you guys have plans to add further options that aren't included in the app bundle?

My understanding is that app bundles purchased from now on will include these, but prior ones will not. It's generally due to the architecture of how we enable options, and the thought (for better or more likely worse) is that people who bought the bundle previously didn't need or want that and bought it anyways, so they probably won't have a need for it.

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 05:39:08 am »
Ouch, that actually makes it hurt a little more. Punished for being an "early adopter".
VE7FM

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 01:57:47 pm »
N
[edit]

I know! I've been asking R&D to put this in for a long, long time. Also, ouch :).

Is this another feature that will only be present on the 3000T going forward and most likely won't make its way back to a 3000A firmware update in the future?

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 05:31:12 pm »
Ouch, that actually makes it hurt a little more. Punished for being an "early adopter".

If it becomes an issue for you, let me know via PM.

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 10:19:25 pm »

My understanding is that app bundles purchased from now on will include these, but prior ones will not. It's generally due to the architecture of how we enable options, and the thought (for better or more likely worse) is that people who bought the bundle previously didn't need or want that and bought it anyways, so they probably won't have a need for it.

That seems pretty unfortunate. Is there any way you could reconsider this? Some of those extra options would be pretty handy, and would certainly be a good goodwill gesture to those who already have got the App Bundle. The individual options are *very* expensive.

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 11:03:50 pm »

That seems pretty unfortunate. Is there any way you could reconsider this? Some of those extra options would be pretty handy, and would certainly be a good goodwill gesture to those who already have got the App Bundle. The individual options are *very* expensive.

This decision is unfortunately out of my hands at this point. If you're looking for the FRA option and have an application bundle, you get all that functionality as part of the power supply testing option. So, getting the FRA doesn't actually gain you anything. If I recall correctly, there's actually a gain margin & phase margin measurement in the power app that isn't included in the FRA option.

The following users thanked this post: ralphrmartin

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 05:44:28 am »
If you're looking for the FRA option and have an application bundle, you get all that functionality as part of the power supply testing option. So, getting the FRA doesn't actually gain you anything. If I recall correctly, there's actually a gain margin & phase margin measurement in the power app that isn't included in the FRA option.

Ah, OK, but then it seems odd to sell two options, one of which is a subset of the other, rather than them being complementary functionality That means that if you buy the FRA option first, then later buy the power option for its extra functionality, you are paying for some things twice,,,

Anyway, thanks for the clarification..

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 06:38:55 am »
That's a huge jump in version number. Daniel, any comments on what that's all about?

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 06:57:54 am »
I'm going to guess that the jump from 4.08 to 7.10 is really x.08 to x.10 - and the jump from 4 to 7 is probably just a series reset to avoid confusion between various other oscilloscope firmware versions.

I suspect when more people find out that new purchasers of the app bundle get apps that existing customers don't they will be "displeased" with Keysight.
VE7FM

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 07:12:41 am »
I'll chime in as a disgruntled App bundle buyer and owner ! Not nice !

and apart from that how are people going to be able to differentiate later on if they want to sell the scope. "It includes the App Bundle" - "Ahh ok- but from which date?"  :)

If you buy the bundle - it should either stay the same bundle (product) or everybody's bundle should be updated. I could really do with the Manchester decode option. I would even pay a fee for updating my bundle but not full SRP of an option.

Anyway - seems like Keysight's license business managers are coughing up licensing hairballs all over the place :) just like in BenchVue. >:D  :--

Offline raupi

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 10:18:53 am »
Hi,

anyone noticed problems using a mouse with the new firmware (Keysight 3000T)? I'm using a Logitech M185 wireless mouse and every time I switch the scope on now I have to remove and reinsert the USB receiver dongle to force the mouse pointer to appear on the screen. This wasn't necessary in previous firmwares  :-//

Thanks.

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 04:16:04 pm »
I've corrected my post above, the 3000T and 4000X use different firmware, they aren't identical. So make sure you use the right version for your scope (don't switch 3k firmware with 4k firmware).

The following users thanked this post: raupi

Offline raupi

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 07:56:30 pm »
Thanks @Keysight_DanielBogdanoff, but I've used the correct version for 3000T models (even did a reflash today, just to make sure). I did a "Clear NVRAM" and "Reset to Factory Defaults" as well but that doesn't help either. I will try to borrow a different brand mouse to check if it's just an incompatibility with this specific Logitech mouse model.

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 07:59:24 pm »
@raupi, I'll take a look at it, too. Let me know what you find!

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor

I would be interested in any clarification on this point. My scope that arrive last week was shipped with 7.10 with Factory installed application bundle. While FRA is included, CXPI, Manchester, and NRZ are not licensed.

I guess, as other have said those with the app bundle and missing the licenses should have a better upgrade path than full SRP.

Also if these options are now being given with the app bundle as of release 7.10, since the scope shipped with 7.10 & the app bundle I would have expected the licenses delivered would be the same as if I installed the license post delivery.

Offline smithnerd

• Regular Contributor
I'm seeing a mouse issue with my 4000X too. The mouse is working (e.g. wheel up/down changes waveform intensity), it's just the mouse pointer that's missing on boot, until I hotplug the dongle - rather a nuisance.

I have a Logitech M-RAA93.

Edit: happens with every mouse I've tried. I hooked it up to a USB KVM switch as a workaround.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 02:00:01 pm by smithnerd »

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
The mouse issue is a verified bug in 7.10 firmware. There will be a new firmware version posted to k.com tomorrow or the next day - I'll follow up here with a link once it's live.

The following users thanked this post: raupi

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
Checked with X3000T 7.10 with cheap wireless mouse/keyboard. Mouse works, but pointer is not shown on the screen. Reconnecting USB dongle bring back muse pointer.
Looking forward for SW update.

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
New firmware is up! It's still labeled 7.10 but it has a new date code, in case of any confusion.

3000T:
http://www.keysight.com/main/software.jspx?ckey=2573488

4000X:
http://www.keysight.com/main/software.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng&ckey=2287602

Also, Johnnie did a nice little write up about some of the new stuff in 7.10, including User-definable Manchester/NRZ Trigger & Decode
https://community.keysight.com/community/keysight-blogs/oscilloscopes/blog/2017/05/03/new-infiniivision-firmware-release-version-710

The following users thanked this post: smithnerd, raupi

Offline Amazing

• Regular Contributor
The new features look really good, particularly the RF measurements on the FFT.  I'm looking forward to trying them out.

I have to say though, that as a recent purchaser of an MSOX3104T and app bundle, that I'm a little annoyed that the new options aren't included.  I thought after spending that much that I'd be getting all of the software updates.

Regarding the Manchester decoding, do you (Daniel) know if it will decode SMPTE timecode?  SMPTE TC is bi-phase mark. Would I be able to trigger on particular frame?

That would be very useful for checking that the timing of the equipment that I develop that follows timecode.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 09:38:47 pm by Amazing »

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Bug report/misfeature - the horizontal scale annotations disappear when bus decoding is on. As the bus decode always sits at the bottom of thescreen, maybe move the scale to the top?
Also they are too dim, especially when blue or pink.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf