Author Topic: NEW 100MHz Keysight Scope Release on 1st March 2017  (Read 239410 times)

Offline S13

• Contributor
Re: NEW 100MHz Keysight Scope Release on 1st March 2017
« Reply #350 on: February 20, 2017, 02:15:12 pm »
I really like the concept of these affordable scopes! Compared to old style tube based scopes you get so many features for money these days, its unbelievable.
Really nice to see that a company like Agilent / Keysight is trying for the a second round of blowing the competition away. When the first series DSO-X/MSO-X came out about 6 years a go i was already highly impressed. Lets see if they can manage to do that this time as well.

The FRA function looks very promising and a nice to have feature :) But probably not something you'd use every day. The training signals / function generator, DVM and hardware Serial decode on the other hand will prove very valuable imo.
And I bet people are willing to pay a bit more for this scope because of its fast update rate compared to Rigol and other competitors. But all within reason of course.

Really looking forward to the full review on youtube!
And of course would be nice to win one ;D   

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #351 on: February 20, 2017, 02:28:35 pm »
And I bet people are willing to pay a bit more for this scope because of its fast update rate compared to Rigol and other competitors.
:palm: Did you read the datasheet? 50k waveforms/s. Not that this number is important in any way but it isn't particulary fast.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #352 on: February 20, 2017, 03:05:36 pm »
There are many scopes which will cheerfully collect a zillion waveforms / s but only draw the UI twice a second (or so)  :palm: maybe that's what he meant?

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #353 on: February 20, 2017, 03:18:10 pm »
There are many scopes which will cheerfully collect a zillion waveforms / s but only draw the UI twice a second (or so)  :palm: maybe that's what he meant?

As long as it draws the half zillion waveforms I see no problem.

(Hint: what is the refresh rate of the LCD?)
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #354 on: February 20, 2017, 03:38:55 pm »
I am pretty sure: He meant the fast response to e. g. adjustments which looks like a faster "update rate" of the display.
Not the acquiring update rate or the real refresh rate of the TFT.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:39:48 pm by ProBang2 »

Offline cengland0

• Contributor
« Reply #355 on: February 20, 2017, 04:20:20 pm »
:palm: Did you read the datasheet? 50k waveforms/s. Not that this number is important in any way but it isn't particulary fast.
Maybe so but for those of us that are hobbyists that still don't have a scope, we aren't that picky.

Offline S13

• Contributor
« Reply #356 on: February 20, 2017, 04:29:06 pm »
I meant the fast response of the user interface and drawing of the waveforms and menus on screen.
Ive always preferred the older Agilent style scopes for that purpose, they are just very fast to work with. Especially when compared to Lecroys or Teks back in the days.

Auto calibrate during your critical measurement... ugh...
Windows XP booting... ugh...

Also im not aware of definitive specs on the new to be released Keysight scopes. And pricing is still out as well... I can imagine certain engineers would like to pay a bit more for a more reputable manufacturer like Agilent / Keysight than the more affordable brands. Perhaps its a "feeling" of quality or history that you get? Not saying manufacturers like Rigol or Siglent or whatever are bad in those regards, i just dont know enough about them to compare them.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #357 on: February 20, 2017, 04:53:31 pm »

As long as it draws the half zillion waveforms I see no problem.

(Hint: what is the refresh rate of the LCD?)
More than 2fps. Janky cursors, menus, and measurements suck regardless of how nice the intensity grading and POI is.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:55:09 pm by jjoonathan »

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #358 on: February 20, 2017, 06:00:36 pm »
Aslong it's more responsive than a Tektronix TBS...
Got one of those at work. Not only that it was the first Tektronix Scope that i managed to crash, it also feels very slow to me.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #359 on: February 20, 2017, 06:24:13 pm »
More than 2fps. Janky cursors, menus, and measurements suck regardless of how nice the intensity grading and POI is.

Point taken, when discussing UI 2 fps is hardly enough.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline skylinrcr01

• Contributor
« Reply #360 on: February 20, 2017, 11:55:03 pm »
These look to be a rather interesting entry level scope. About time one of the major test equipment makers comes out with an entry level scope with features that can compete with the runaway success known as the Rigol 1054z.
Even if it ends up being 3x the cost of a Rigol or Instek it could be worth it if the UI is as responsive as their other Megazoom scopes.

However; I'm more excited to hear about this eevblog diff probe...

Assuming that this scope costs around $1200 USD, I'm surprised that they didn't create a more stripped, cheaper 50MHz version to grab some market share from Rigol's 1054Z. Something like this being 3x the cost is huge to students or people just starting out in the field.

There is quite a bit of potential to convert beginner EEs to Keysight's brand, and you'd think that they would leverage that. 

Wonder where this new Keysight scope is made? China or Malaysia? I'm not too familiar with Keysight's newer product lines.

But I bet that students will get a healthy discount thus leveling the playing field somewhat ;)
I looked into see if the US has student pricing, doesn't look like they do. If they did, I would have happily gotten this scope over my Rigol, as Keysight stuff is typically top notch.

Offline ellenmariehardin@gmail.co

« Reply #361 on: February 21, 2017, 12:26:27 am »
I would be more than happy to replace my old Tek 2215A with this.  :)

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #362 on: February 21, 2017, 01:15:00 am »
Even if it ends up being 3x the cost of a Rigol or Instek it could be worth it if the UI is as responsive as their other Megazoom scopes.

It seems to be.
The mainstream success of this Keysight 1000X will depend upon it's ability to get hacked.
If the base unit with sig gen gets hacked then it could sell like hot cakes.
Funny to think about, but I can see your point. I wonder if their marketing department has any say in the firmware security. "Make it hard enough to be interesting, but not impossible".

Offline azigta

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #363 on: February 21, 2017, 01:25:21 am »
I love it when there's a big scope giveaway and Spain can't participate. France can, Spain can't... Great T.T

Offline IcakaBG

« Reply #364 on: February 21, 2017, 06:47:36 am »
I love it when there's a big scope giveaway and Spain can't participate. France can, Spain can't... Great T.T

I hate almost all Giveaways or competitions, because I'm from Bulgaria and either the competition don't cover this country or the shipping will cost like buying new from local reseller.

Offline ckambiselis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #365 on: February 21, 2017, 10:19:41 am »
Looks amazing, I guess I will have to wait another month before ordering a Rigol DS1054Z (just in case it's my lucky day)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #366 on: February 21, 2017, 11:50:29 am »

Yes, why would they do that?

Offline porker1972

• Contributor
« Reply #367 on: February 21, 2017, 11:53:32 am »
I asked the local office about the competition rules. They said they "wanted to open up the prize draw to everyone in all countries, but there are local laws they can't get around. In some countries the draw has to be done in that country alone, and by a government official. In some countries, we have to become an official lottery company. We could not hold a world-wide draw that is fair to all entrants by holding 100 different draws."

You could just enter anyway and ask a friend somewhere else to take delivery if you win.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #368 on: February 21, 2017, 03:23:38 pm »
I asked the local office about the competition rules. They said they "wanted to open up the prize draw to everyone in all countries, but there are local laws they can't get around.

Huh? How does running a competition in the USA (or wherever) make them subject to the laws of (eg.) Spain?

The only laws they could be subject to are export laws to restricted countries (which Spain isn't).

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #369 on: February 21, 2017, 03:42:05 pm »
I asked the local office about the competition rules. They said they "wanted to open up the prize draw to everyone in all countries, but there are local laws they can't get around.

Huh? How does running a competition in the USA (or wherever) make them subject to the laws of (eg.) Spain?

The only laws they could be subject to are export laws to restricted countries (which Spain isn't).
The law applies to the entrant in that country. A big company wouldn't want to be seen condoning/encouraging  illegal activity in another country. getting into grey areas but fare easier to play safe just say "no".
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #370 on: February 21, 2017, 05:13:28 pm »

I'll field further Scope Month sweepstakes questions on that thread in the contests section of the forum (to avoid derailing this thread), but if we include Spain we are responsible for meeting both USA and Spain legal requirements.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #371 on: February 21, 2017, 06:39:06 pm »

if you go to UK and drive you can't drive the right way, you have to follow their road code.
same for the rest of the laws

Offline MrBungle

• Supporter
« Reply #372 on: February 21, 2017, 07:17:07 pm »
... drive the right way...
Which is on the left.
The whole world did it once, including the Romans.
Italy continued with it up to around the 1890's, but not officially until 1912 (must've been an interesting time in between!)
The story behind countries shifting from left to right is varied and interesting but I digress.
Anyway, left is now right except where right is wrong.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #373 on: February 21, 2017, 07:58:58 pm »
if you go to UK and drive you can't drive the right way, you have to follow their road code.
same for the rest of the laws

Sure, but this is just a parcel arriving at a country. There's nothing illegal inside. Why does it matter how it arrived there?  :-//

Offline porker1972

• Contributor
« Reply #374 on: February 22, 2017, 05:03:47 pm »
We have a European lottery, but it's not open to everyone in Europe. There are rules and laws in each country about everything from tax to sex which can be wildly different... it's not one harmonised legal system.

I can't imagine that Keysight have not researched this and subsequently decided to implement a promotion with the intention to annoy potential customers.

Anyway, looking at the datasheet, it seems like the 2000 series with somethings added and somethings taken away. Certainly better than Tek have in this class, and i would bet people would want a premium brand like Keysight over a Rigol/whatever for the same money, even if the memory or some other datasheet parameter doesn't appear as good. I've used cheap scopes with great specs... there's a reason they are cheap. Their performance and usability is not something you get on a datasheet. The big guys make their kit work and can update and fix things that the cheaper guys don't.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf