Author Topic: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004  (Read 820080 times)

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004
« Reply #1950 on: December 07, 2017, 12:04:28 am »

Like Mike I would like more than one symbol in a message - now I specify a longer hold-off "Idle Time" to get all the chars on one line in the Bus-Table. In that would be nice to have in the decode screen as well. So everything before the Idle-Time is not split into many hexagons but stays within 1 making it infinitely more readable :)
It's not so much about readability, as getting as much onscreen as possible. The hexagon style bus display has never made much sense for serial decodes, though everyone seems to do it, as a hang-over from parallel busses, where it did make sense.
Higher baudrates, even if just a few fixed rates like 4M and 6M would be nice.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

Offline ppeterl

• Contributor
« Reply #1951 on: December 07, 2017, 08:48:09 pm »
Fellow forum members, RTB owners, Rich,

So, I took the plunge and ponied up the equivalent of $4000 for a 4 channel 200MHz + PK1 package + Digital channels, upgrading from my trusty old 1054Z. I am perfectly aware that this is a brand new scope model, and that it will be some time until the last bug has been hunted out of it. I chose to factor in the reputation of Rohde & Schwarz brand, as well as their pride in the equipment they manufacture, into my purchasing decision. So I am quite confident that they will step up the game and make this scope as great as it has the potential to be (right Rich?).

Anyhow, I've had the scope for almost a week now, running the latest 2.0 software just released. So I thought I'll contribute with a few bugs I've noted.

1. Lost waveform 1
Set the scope to Run mode and trigger set to Norm (not Auto). Once a trigger and waveform is acquired, hit the zoom button - without first hitting stop - and watch the waveform disappear after a fraction of a second. The opposite fails as well, capture in zoom and go back to normal view also clears waveform.

2. Lost waveform 2
Also in Run mode, Normal trigger; change horizontal scale also clears waveform, unless stop is pressed before. Probably the same bug as above.

3. Single capture in Auto trigger mode.
The "auto" feature of auto seems to trigger a one-shot when in single mode, essentially wasting the trigger on random waveform without trigger.
So, with no input active on a channel and a trigger level of a few volts, scope in "Run" and "Auto"
mode. Hit "Single" and watch the scope capture a zero-level waveform without trigger point.

4. Counter Threshold goes bananas
Feed a 400mV PP, 10 KHz square wave into the scope, set vertical scale to 200mV/div, threshold at 200 mV (Find Threshold), Hysteresis medium.
Set vertical scale to 50µs/div and increase step by step. Note a glitch at 1ms/div. At 100ms/div, threshold goes to 62,92V and the Counter stops working. Also, try to start at horizontal scale 100 ms/div, change down to 50 mv/div. Threshold value goes above the roof again.

On an additional note, I find the Persistence feature really not doing it's job properly. When facing a rare glitch in the waveform, it will shop up as a shadow on the screen, which is fine. However, the persistence setting doesn't seem to affect it's brightness, only the brightness of the regular waveform. Until 100% brightness is reached, then the glitches are displayed in full brightness. I do have a problem reproducing this though, so I'm a bit reluctant to call it a bug at this stage.

Also a couple of feature requests:

Search in zoom mode; it would be great if the zoomed in area followed the search selection, i.e when rotating the selection knob. And a next/prev button besides the search results list would be an improvement.

I think the history (segmented memory) is one of the features that makes this scope stand up above the crowd. It would be super-awesome if it would be possible to search for stuff in the history, similar to how search in waveform works.

Toolbar (upper left): I miss the ability to put the Counter there, I use that a lot, and also the History. Funny, since the Meter is there as well as Search (which also has a dedicated button). Why can some functions be put there but not others?

Don't get me wrong, this is not intended as a whine and complain post; I love my new scope. And if I made some user errors in the reports in this post, please correct me.

--/Peter

Offline Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1952 on: December 11, 2017, 08:55:30 am »
Fellow forum members, RTB owners, Rich,

So, I took the plunge and ponied up the equivalent of $4000 for a 4 channel 200MHz + PK1 package + Digital channels, upgrading from my trusty old 1054Z. I am perfectly aware that this is a brand new scope model, and that it will be some time until the last bug has been hunted out of it. I chose to factor in the reputation of Rohde & Schwarz brand, as well as their pride in the equipment they manufacture, into my purchasing decision. So I am quite confident that they will step up the game and make this scope as great as it has the potential to be (right Rich?).

Anyhow, I've had the scope for almost a week now, running the latest 2.0 software just released. So I thought I'll contribute with a few bugs I've noted.

1. Lost waveform 1
Set the scope to Run mode and trigger set to Norm (not Auto). Once a trigger and waveform is acquired, hit the zoom button - without first hitting stop - and watch the waveform disappear after a fraction of a second. The opposite fails as well, capture in zoom and go back to normal view also clears waveform.

2. Lost waveform 2
Also in Run mode, Normal trigger; change horizontal scale also clears waveform, unless stop is pressed before. Probably the same bug as above.

3. Single capture in Auto trigger mode.
The "auto" feature of auto seems to trigger a one-shot when in single mode, essentially wasting the trigger on random waveform without trigger.
So, with no input active on a channel and a trigger level of a few volts, scope in "Run" and "Auto"
mode. Hit "Single" and watch the scope capture a zero-level waveform without trigger point.

4. Counter Threshold goes bananas
Feed a 400mV PP, 10 KHz square wave into the scope, set vertical scale to 200mV/div, threshold at 200 mV (Find Threshold), Hysteresis medium.
Set vertical scale to 50µs/div and increase step by step. Note a glitch at 1ms/div. At 100ms/div, threshold goes to 62,92V and the Counter stops working. Also, try to start at horizontal scale 100 ms/div, change down to 50 mv/div. Threshold value goes above the roof again.

On an additional note, I find the Persistence feature really not doing it's job properly. When facing a rare glitch in the waveform, it will shop up as a shadow on the screen, which is fine. However, the persistence setting doesn't seem to affect it's brightness, only the brightness of the regular waveform. Until 100% brightness is reached, then the glitches are displayed in full brightness. I do have a problem reproducing this though, so I'm a bit reluctant to call it a bug at this stage.

Also a couple of feature requests:

Search in zoom mode; it would be great if the zoomed in area followed the search selection, i.e when rotating the selection knob. And a next/prev button besides the search results list would be an improvement.

I think the history (segmented memory) is one of the features that makes this scope stand up above the crowd. It would be super-awesome if it would be possible to search for stuff in the history, similar to how search in waveform works.

Toolbar (upper left): I miss the ability to put the Counter there, I use that a lot, and also the History. Funny, since the Meter is there as well as Search (which also has a dedicated button). Why can some functions be put there but not others?

Don't get me wrong, this is not intended as a whine and complain post; I love my new scope. And if I made some user errors in the reports in this post, please correct me.

--/Peter
Thanks Peter for the feedback.  Here are some answers:

1 & 2:  We've been able to reproduce these and the team is working on fixing them.  In the meantime, there is a potential workaround - if you go in to "stop" mode before zooming you shouldn't see this issue.

3:  You can choose how single works by selecting the auto/normal key for a normal trigger.

4.  We're still looking in to this.

5.  For persistence, it is designed that the more frequently a pixel is hit, the brighter it is displayed. If you have an infrequent pulse it is displayed with less intensity (with, as you mentioned,  the exception being with 100% intensity every pixel has got the same intensity no matter haw many times it was hit).   A couple potential suggestions to make the infrequent events show up with more contrast:

a.  You can use "inverse brightness".
b.  You can change the channel color to something like temperature graded.

6.  For "Search in zoom mode; it would be great if the zoomed in area followed the search selection" - you can do this today.  Press the universal rotary knob or turn on "Track Event" in search menu.

-Rich

Offline 1design

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1953 on: December 12, 2017, 07:48:27 pm »
Hi Rich,

can you help me in regards to the Arbitrary generator file format? The only information I was able to get from the user manual is that it should be in a CSV file, but no actual structure?
Thank you very much!

BR

Offline JoHr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1954 on: December 16, 2017, 10:45:39 am »
Hi Rich,

can you help me in regards to the Arbitrary generator file format? The only information I was able to get from the user manual is that it should be in a CSV file, but no actual structure?
Thank you very much!

BR

Dont have my RTB here ... you can try to get a channel csv-file over the MTP or save some channel/reference data as csv-file on your usb drive.
As far as I remember they can use references or channel data as arbitrary input data.
The law of conservation of bugs states that the total amount of  bugs of an isolated system remains constant. Bugs can neither be created nor destroyed; rather, they can be transformed from one form to another.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #1955 on: December 16, 2017, 10:56:54 am »
You can load a saved CSV waveform file - this is a sample I just tried.
Code: [Select]
in s,C1 in V
-1.9992E-03,-6.152E-01
-1.9968E-03,-5.371E-01
-1.9944E-03,-4.590E-01
-1.9920E-03,-5.762E-01
-1.9896E-03,-5.176E-01
-1.9872E-03,-5.566E-01

The following users thanked this post: Rich@RohdeScopesUSA, JoHr

Offline Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1956 on: December 18, 2017, 03:13:39 am »
Hi Rich,

Thank you very much!

BR
Hi 1design - sorry for the slow reply, I've been traveling a lot the last week.  Looks like Mike has you fixed up now. 

I also know I've got a couple PMs - I'll reply ASAP to everyone.  :-+

-Rich

Offline 1design

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1957 on: December 19, 2017, 05:08:20 pm »
No problem Rich.
Thanks to Mikes prompt reply I got it working now.

I am stil wondering why there is no direct upload option for the AWG. I automate most of my tasks, screenshots, reports, data download and processing etc. Waveform generation and upload is one of the best tasks to automate, but it seems you have to go trough file with this instrument. Did I miss a command for this?

BR
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 05:10:22 pm by 1design »

Offline JoHr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1958 on: December 20, 2017, 10:42:53 am »
You can use the following remote commands for setting up an arbitrary waveform.
  WGENerator:ARBitrary:FILE:NAME "/USB_FRONT/MYFILE.CSV"
  WGENerator:ARBitrary:FILE:OPEN
The law of conservation of bugs states that the total amount of  bugs of an isolated system remains constant. Bugs can neither be created nor destroyed; rather, they can be transformed from one form to another.

Offline 1design

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1959 on: December 20, 2017, 12:00:59 pm »
I aware of the commands that load a file, what I was looking for is a command that would allow loading data directly into the AWG. This is pretty common practice on stand alone AWGs.
This could be done the same way the trace data is downloaded.

BR

Offline EEngo

• Supporter
« Reply #1960 on: January 01, 2018, 06:09:50 pm »
Dear Rich,

is there any (actual) chance, that CAN Bus FD and / or Flexray is implemented in (near) future?
Otherwise I'll have to go with a Keysight MSO3000T for 10k€ ... :-\

Thanks,
Ingo.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1961 on: January 01, 2018, 06:55:58 pm »
Dear Rich,

is there any (actual) chance, that CAN Bus FD and / or Flexray is implemented in (near) future?
Otherwise I'll have to go with a Keysight MSO3000T for 10k€ ... :-\

Thanks,
Ingo.
While both are very fine MSO scopes, if you want economical solution to CAN BUS /Flexray capture/decode best solution is Picoscope. Shuffling through pages of decodes are much better suited to large PC screen, and Picoscopes are available with ridiculous amounts of sample memory...
Of course, if you want classic scope, and will have to decode only occasionally then it might not be for you...
Regards,
Sinisa

EDIT: typos..
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 07:28:20 pm by 2N3055 »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1962 on: January 01, 2018, 07:19:50 pm »
While both are very MSO fine scopes, if you wan't economical solution to CAN BUS /Flexray capture/decode best solution is Picoscope. Shuffling through pages of decodes are much better suited to large PC screen, and Picoscopes are available with ridiculous amounts of sample memory...
Of course, if you want classic scope, and will have to decode only occasionally then it might not be for you...
You can have both if you save the decoded data into a CSV file and use a PC for analysis.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 07:22:02 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline EEngo

• Supporter
« Reply #1963 on: January 04, 2018, 09:16:44 pm »
yes, the picotech decoders are comprehensive, but I'm not sure about the decoding speed.

I am looking for a CAN eye diagram test solution (in future there will be the need of CAN FD and flexray). The task is finding a CAN sender with slightly faulty or ringing signals.
And as you can see on youtube, the X3000T-Series is able to do that  :clap:

The RS scope is a great tool and CAN FD and flexray in the future would be a gamechanger for me  :-+

Offline JoHr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1964 on: January 16, 2018, 11:49:27 am »
Just stumbled over this: seems like R&S finally gave as the bigger brother of their RTB2000 :popcorn:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rs-rtm3004-the-swiss-knife-oscilloscope/new/#new

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #1965 on: January 16, 2018, 12:24:39 pm »
I'm supposed to be getting one of these.
There is also a 1000 series, not sure if coming at the same time

Offline JoHr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1966 on: January 16, 2018, 12:31:08 pm »
@mike this can be something for you  ... as i remember you once struggeld with the Hold-Off menu on the RTB2000

Offline artelse

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1967 on: January 16, 2018, 12:36:30 pm »
It's called the RTC1000, https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/nl/product/rtc1000-productstartpage_63493-515585.html
Looks like a replacement of the Hameg HMO1000 series as a result of the R&S Hameg merger.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1968 on: January 16, 2018, 05:58:31 pm »
It's called the RTC1000, https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/nl/product/rtc1000-productstartpage_63493-515585.html
Looks like a replacement of the Hameg HMO1000 series as a result of the R&S Hameg merger.
I guess it is including the 640x480 display.  :palm: I'd expected they at least upgraded to a higher resolution display.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline artelse

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1969 on: January 16, 2018, 06:10:08 pm »
Anyone know of a Probe BNC adapter for the RTB probes?

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1970 on: January 16, 2018, 06:39:39 pm »
In conjunction with the announcement of the new scopes, it looks like they have also released the new User Manual for the RTB2000 that goes with FW 0200. I haven't looked at the changes yet. They also have a new "Getting Started" guide for some reason.

https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/us/manual/rtb2000/

The following users thanked this post: edavid

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #1971 on: January 16, 2018, 06:52:15 pm »
@mike this can be something for you  ... as i remember you once struggeld with the Hold-Off menu on the RTB2000

Didn't struggle, just that it was too far down the menu so you had to scroll to reach it

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1972 on: January 16, 2018, 09:50:21 pm »
The RTB probes are compatible with this kit (made by the same OEM and includes the BNC adapter), which is an absolute bargain if you're within reach of RS:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/oscilloscope-kits/8014925/

Offline artelse

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1973 on: January 16, 2018, 10:39:19 pm »
The RTB probes are compatible with this kit (made by the same OEM and includes the BNC adapter), which is an absolute bargain if you're within reach of RS:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/oscilloscope-kits/8014925/
Thanks, great deal, bought it in an instance.. elsewhere they go for €50..

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • save the children - chase the cabal
« Reply #1974 on: January 17, 2018, 12:38:19 am »

Didn't struggle, just that it was too far down the menu so you had to scroll to reach it

But, if I'm not wrong, there is no quick access auto-holdoff, also with this nice drag'n drop functionality on the RTB2000.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 01:01:25 am by hwj-d »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf