Author Topic: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004  (Read 809427 times)

Offline glowman

• Contributor
I've been checking this page and the firmware update page of R&S, 2 times a day hoping for some news about the firmware update.  Finally there is... and very soon :clap:  Hope the bug fixes will not be left out especially the hang on ASCII decode.

Thanks Rich

Offline KaneTW

• Frequent Contributor
Did anyone try and find debug ports or similar on this scope? Wondering how well the firmware is locked down.

Offline glowman

• Contributor
hi Rich,

Any updates on the release date of the new firmware for RTB2004/2?  It's almost the end of the week...

Thanks.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Any updates on the release date of the new firmware for RTB2004/2?  It's almost the end of the week...
I think the developers had too much Bradwurst & beer on the 1st of May  ;D
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline mroths5905

I am also looking forward to the new firmware update.  I have made a number of videos about my RTB2004 on YouTube (“MichaelBRothschild”) and am looking forward to making a video with the updated firmware and its new features. Hope the update is soon. Please Rich could you advise release date for firmware? Many thanks Michael

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, glowman, skench, nugglix, hwj-d, Rich@RohdeScopesUSA, ws2812b, Ghislain

Offline Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

• Frequent Contributor
hi Rich,

Thanks.
My understanding is any day.  I apologize and know everyone is patiently waiting.  Sorry for the delay  :-\

-Rich

The following users thanked this post: glowman

• Frequent Contributor
:-DD There are a lot of German holidays in May! 

-Rich

The following users thanked this post: glowman

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF

Are you saying that like it's a bad thing?
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
:-DD There are a lot of German holidays in May! 

-Rich
Thats true. And because it is often a Tuesday or Thursday, people use the Monday or Friday as a bank holiday and sometimes people take a week off here:
1. May, 30. April bank holiday
10. May, 11. May bank holiday
21. May
31. May, 1. June bank holiday
thus many working days are gone, thus new firmware may take longer.

Nobody complains .... but the employer.

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • save the children - chase the cabal
I am also looking forward to the new firmware update.  I have made a number of videos about my RTB2004 on YouTube (“MichaelBRothschild”) and am looking forward to making a video with the updated firmware and its new features. Hope the update is soon. Please Rich could you advise release date for firmware? Many thanks Michael
Hi Michael,
I really enjoy your YT videos about the RTB2K and its comparison to others. That's why my "thanks" rubberpount to you. Want more of this vids.   :-+
And, welcome to the forum.  :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 10:44:01 pm by hwj-d »

• Frequent Contributor
Hi Everyone,

The new RTB2000 FW should be out shortly - it has been released to the web team for posting.  In the meantime, here are the release notes (as always, this may not capture everything, but should give a pretty thorough overview):

New Function of Firmware V02.101:
V02.101 Vertical zoom: Use the zoom tool from tool bar to draw a rectangle and zoom into.
V02.101 Quick Access: Pull out a menu item and drag onto the screen. Also use the tool in tool bar.
V02.101 Auto Scale in channel short menu.
See channel short menu (touch on channel segment in signal bar if channel switched on).
V02.101 Option RTB-K15:
History menu available. Touch on History item in main menu.
V02.101 Option RTB-K15:
Analyze functions Overlay, Average and Envelope in segment player.
See menu 'History' item 'Show History'.
V02.101 Tool Menu History. See configuration tool bar.

Modifications of Firmware V02.101:
V02.101 Option RTB-K15:
Increased segment numbers with 50ksample, 500ksample and 5Msample record length.
V02.101 FFT start frequency value limited to 0 Hz and stop frequency limited to sample rate / 2.
V02.101 Reduced channel segments in signal bar when channel off.
V02.101
Initial roll mode: Trace fills screen from left side to right side.
V02.101 Note on frequency limitation of the Meter in footer.
V02.101 Closing button in zoom mode added.
V02.101 Acquisition memory is set to maximum when roll mode on.
V02.101 Front panel firmware updated to version 01.011.
Battery management improved.
V02.101 Various improvements in GUI and languages.

Improvements of Firmware V02.101:
V02.101 Solved: Wrong calculation of counter threshold with clipped ADC data.
V02.101 Solved: Wrong displayed bus data with parallel or parallel-clocked bus if the horizontal
position during stop mode changed.
V02.101 Solved: Firmware blocker if I2C bus decoded and 'Display Settings' set to 'ASCII'.
V02.101 Solved: In acquisition average or high resolution mode only coarse cursor positioning with
horizontal cursors.
V02.101 Solved: Wrong date saved in CSV file if the acquisition not complete.
V02.101 Solved: Possible spike in waveform data with infinity persistence and manually device
operation.
V02.101 Solved: Trigger offset of 10ns with peak detect and 625MSa sample rate.
V02.101 Solved: Option RTB-K15:
After mask violation history player stops one segment to late.
V02.101 Solved: Option RTB-K15:
History player overlays segment table with maximized waveform window.
V02.101 Solved: MTP function with Windows 10:
Windows prevents copying files to the instrument with file extensions unknown to Windows.

Known issues of Firmware V02.101:
V02.101 Connection via USB-TMC: Read function 'viReadSTB' does not answer.

-Rich

The following users thanked this post: mtdoc, dr.diesel, edavid, agdr, 0xfede, Fgrir, hwj-d, MikeP, Octane, norks, Ghislain

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • save the children - chase the cabal
Wow, that's a big afterburner. Thanks a lot.
(Ok, than additionally math-triggerfunction next time?  ;) )

:-+ :-+

• Frequent Contributor
Wow, that's a big afterburner. Thanks a lot.
(Ok, than additionally math-triggerfunction next time?  ;) )

:-+ :-+
My understanding is that is (currently) planned in the late summer/early fall release.   :-+

Thanks,
Rich

The following users thanked this post: glowman, hwj-d, Octane, Ghislain

Offline glowman

• Contributor
Wow, thanks!  Can't wait to flash it.

Offline mroths5905

I have just installed the latest firmware V02.101 (22nd-May-2018) and it installed and runs perfectly.

I am intending either later today or tomorrow to post another video on YouTube (“MichaelBRothschild”) showing the new features this firmware update offers.  So far I have tried the “Quick Menu” and “Zoom” facility which look very impressive.  I am intending to hopefully produce a full demonstration of the new features including the additions to the “History” menu which appear quite in-depth.

Hopefully the videos will be useful to anyone considering buying the RTB2002/2004.  Really looking forward to the next update with hopefully some more Maths functions; this would add the final icing to the cake!

Regards

Michael

The following users thanked this post: dr.diesel, skench, hwj-d, Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

Offline sstepane

• Regular Contributor
Michael,

Thanks for the video in advance. I have ordered RTB2004 and while it is on its way - will surely watch your videos to be prepared!

Offline MikeP

• Regular Contributor
 The 02.101 software is already available on the website of R&S.

Stepan ! :-+ Congratulations.

The following users thanked this post: Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

Offline eetechTom

• Contributor
At the university where I work, having data and screen image capture such as BenchVue is essential. I have not been able to find any R&S software for this, which is a non-starter for us. I see a $1000.00 plus software package with no mention of image capture (at a quick glance).

We are most likely going to go with Keysight's 1000x or 2000x series anyway, but I would like to be sure regarding R&S software for future reference.

Offline Octane

• Regular Contributor
Hi,

The web interface lets you capture screenshots and transfer data easily.

Michael
W4MFT

Offline eetechTom

• Contributor
Thanks for the quick response Octane. A rep is coming here next Wednesday to give us a demo, so we can check that out then.

Offline eetechTom

• Contributor
Thanks for the quick response Octane. A rep is coming here next Wednesday to give us a demo, so we can check that out then.
Connecting these to the network might not be possible here, but we shall see. No network switches allowed in our establishment. :(

Offline eetechTom

• Contributor
Duh, they will be connected to a pc with internet, think I need to go to lunch now  :-[

Offline mroths5905

Hi, just to advise you I am virtually postive (99.9%) that you can capture all data and screenshots via USB if you don’t wish to use the network connection. Alternatively you could attach the RTB2004 directly to a laptop with a RJ45 Ethernet connector to avoid connecting to a major network. I have connected my RTB2004 directly to my iMac27 and also to an older MacBookPro with RJ45 connector (good old days that Apple Mac’s had ports built-in).

I have a video on YouTube showing the networking software (“MichaelBRothschild”) which runs flawlessly and very fast.  You can also set-up for captures  (various data can be selected via on screen menu of RTB2004) to USB Memory Stick on front USB port on scope with a single “One-Touch” button operation.

Hope the above might be of help. I may consider showing data download in a future video.

Regards

Michael

Offline eetechTom

• Contributor
I've read bad things about the new Keysight instrument interface software, beginning with the fact it is no longer free.
At this point in time we are only doing image, and data capture with the software currently being used (Intuilink is most cases).

We can get a 35% edu discount on the Keysight scopes we are looking at, but a software license for each box must be purchased to get the discount.
R&S offers a 20% edu discount.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
I would prefer a web browser based solution for doing remote captures over dedicated PC software. In my experience dedicated PC software usually requires specific NI Visa versions which may not run on (slightly) older Windows versions. I've ran into so many problems with PC based instrument control software that I don't even care about it any more. There are some exceptions ofcourse but if I need to do something remote I just write a small program to do the specific task. With a web based interface OTOH you only need a standard web browser and it should even be possible to use a smartphone or tablet to do screen captures.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf