Author Topic: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004  (Read 817421 times)

Swirve and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Ghislain

• Regular Contributor
Well, it effectively was when I posted the message....I have seen this version coming and going for the last few days, not sure what is going on?

Offline bayjelly

• Regular Contributor
There is obviously just some cache/CDN issue. If I reload a few times, it alternates between the two firmwares. Will contact them.

Offline liyanage

I just noticed the same website issue. I was catching up on this thread and saw the 2.101 firmware announcement so I tried to download it.

The two problems I see:

- sometimes the file list doesn't even appear, but it does appear when I reload the page a few times
- once I do get the list, the 2.101 file is unavailable, the older one works.

See this screen video:

https://youtu.be/IUPwt1_GgVM

Offline Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

• Frequent Contributor
Hi Folks - I replied in the other thread, but didn't in this one.  It does appear to be some website issue - I've asked Munich to look in to it and hope to have it fixed ASAP.  Sorry for the trouble.

-Rich

Offline MikeP

• Regular Contributor
 A small suggestion. SINGLE trigger work in NORM mode only. If it possible – scope automatically turn in to NORM mode if SINGLE trigger enabled.
 And a few funny pictures. Or how zoom work. It is about -110dB H2.

Offline KaneTW

• Frequent Contributor
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure what the point of auto-single is. It just triggers by itself after a brief moment, so you have to switch to Norm and then single-shot.

Offline liyanage

Hi Folks - I replied in the other thread, but didn't in this one.  It does appear to be some website issue - I've asked Munich to look in to it and hope to have it fixed ASAP.  Sorry for the trouble.

-Rich

I wrote to Rhode & Schwarz customer support in Munich about this and just heard back:

Indeed, there have been a few changes.
Version 2.101 was removed from our web site.
If you have this version - please do not use it.
At the moment version 2.0 is current
(translated from their German reply)

I assume there was some issue?

• Frequent Contributor
Yep - I just got a reply this morning too.  Looks like there was a small tweak to the self-alignment that was made, mainly for production.  There were also a few bug fixes slipped in:

Version Function
V02.121 Solved: Locked pattern generator menu when 'Audio - IS' or 'Audio - TDM' selected.
The Audio items were removed in the pattern generator menu.
V02.121 Solved: Front panel firmware update to version did not work on rare devices.
V02.121 Solved: Wrong spectrum section copied to reference waveform when trigger reference pointwas not set to center.
V02.121 Solved: Connection via USB-TMC: Read function 'viReadSTB' does not answer.

It should be on the web shortly, but in the meantime, here is a direct link you can use:

http://www.rohde-schwarz.com/www/FileTran.nsf/alias/RTB_2_121?OpenDocument

-Rich

The following users thanked this post: edavid, glowman, liyanage, hwj-d, MikeP, Ghislain

Offline MikeP

• Regular Contributor
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure what the point of auto-single is. It just triggers by itself after a brief moment, so you have to switch to Norm and then single-shot.

Yes, I am surprised by the possibility to do it.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments

Yes, I am surprised by the possibility to do it.
Seems like an oversight to me. The RTM3000 goes into stop mode after you press the single button and a trigger occurs (either normal or auto mode).
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline robotrovsky

Hi Rich,

thank you for looking into this and reporting the issues from this forum to R&S. Sorry for the inconvenience with the inbox, i deleted the messages now.

Today i updated the firmware to 2.121 and checked if the bug still exists. This time i made it even more easy. I just use 1 channel and no protocol analyzer with normal trigger.

To reproduce: Connect a probe to COM-Port TX (PIN 3) and GND to PIN5 and open up putty with standard configuration for the COM-Port (9600,8,1,N). Now hold down the "A" key and press "Autoset" on the Scope. The scope shows (rtb_BUG_A.png)

Now while holding down "A" also press "G". If only "G" is triggered it shows (rtb_BUG_G.png), if it captures both it shows (rtb_BUG_AG_ok.png), but sometimes it shows (rtb_BUG_AG_bug.png) or (rtb_BUG_AG_bug2.png) showing the last and current triggered waveform.

I am a software guy, but when the scope shows me, that the signal has two potentials at the same time i don't think it is correct. Testing this will take you 5 minutes, maybe you can take the time and check it yourself.

BR
robotrovsky

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:59:53 am by robotrovsky »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
This is normal behaviour; not a bug. You'll have the same effect on any DSO with a reasonably high waveform update rate. The DSO will capture multiple waveforms within one screen update period and display all of them on top of eachother. If this is a problem then adjust the trigger hold-off.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, robotrovsky

Offline robotrovsky

Hi nctnico,

Thank you for clearing this up. I was not aware of this. I saw, that the second waveform is drawn slightly more greyed out, but i wasn't expecting, that the same signal could be drawn twice (or more often) in one time correlation. Rather than a trigger hold-off i would wish for an option to just draw the one and only last triggered waveform or at least find any information on the screen how many waveforms have been drawn. But if you say, that this is normal behaviour, i will have to deal with it and use the trigger hold-off.

I am sorry for the confusion i caused.

BR
robotrovsky

Offline glowman

• Contributor
hi,

I have a suggestion for the problem in superimposed waveforms.  I usually use history mode if it happens.  What I do is set scope to norm then do the measurements.  As soon as you're done, release the probe, then press stop.  Superimposed waveform is frozen and may show at the moment.  Bring up history then play back.  This time, it only shows 1 waveform at a time.

I usually do this if waveform is varying in frequency and gets too confusing to interpret.  Hope it works for you.  I may be wrong so, any comments?

Offline Fgrir

• Regular Contributor
Running into a bug on the RTB2004 where the scope locks up when you try to save to USB with multiple channels visible and the "Vis. Channels" options selected as the Source.  See attached image for an example.  The scope is locked up hard and requires power cycling to get anything to work again.

I've observed this with firmware versions 2.101 and 2.121, using three different USB sticks (all of which work fine using other waveform save options, including History Data which successfully saves multiple files for a single channel).

Funny thing is that I was going to post a request to add the "Vis Channels" source and "History Data" points options to the web-based Save/Load interface since that would be my first choice for pulling data from the scope.  But if it doesn't work...

The following users thanked this post: edavid, PolarCrew

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
I think I requested something similar for saving from the web interface a while back. Have not heard anything about it though - Rich, could you ask if the firmware team could consider adding it to the improvements list? If it's not already present in the higher end models then you may want to consider those too.

As for the bug, I replicated it on my unit running 2.101, though I think it worked ok on a previous firmware (not 100% sure, may have used different settings).

The following users thanked this post: Fgrir

Offline MikeP

• Regular Contributor
Re: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004
« Reply #2191 on: August 08, 2018, 06:45:47 pm »
 Hello Rich.
 I think something wrong here.
 Thanks.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2192 on: August 09, 2018, 05:12:16 pm »
Hi MikeP - I recreated your setup exactly and didn't see the zoom issue.  Was there a special set of steps that you saw this? If you can post or PM me more details, I'd appreciate it!

-Rich

Offline MikeP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2193 on: August 10, 2018, 08:07:07 pm »
 Hello Rich.

This is small test. Problem exists in the two channels. Please see the pictures.  Unfortunately I forgot how make total reset (or this feature already disabled) so this test performed not in the initial conditions.

Thanks.
 M.

Offline MikeP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2194 on: August 13, 2018, 09:36:58 am »
 After the reset, everything is fine with zoom.
 I noticed a slight inconvenience. The voltage scale (in the zoom window) depends on the acquire mode.

Offline glowman

• Contributor
« Reply #2195 on: August 14, 2018, 02:31:02 am »
It's a very similar bug I have reported before regarding the zoom (reply#2171).  This is at the time when the firmware is still 2.101.  I thought it was fixed already since I can't make it happen again.  Noticed that MikeP is already using the 2.121 so, hope they'll take note and fix it.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #2196 on: August 30, 2018, 10:06:43 am »
Found a bug on RTM3004, presumably same on RTB.
When loading a setup, the annotations are not loaded (they are shown in the thumbnail).
My be classed as a mis-feature, but annotations can be as important as any other setup value - load setup should get you back to exactly where you were when saved.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #2197 on: August 30, 2018, 10:56:53 am »
Another minor thing - when you are decoding a parallel bus, you can't turn off the display of the individual bus lines - the only thing you can do to clear some screen space is drag them to the edge of the screen.
A way to turn off display of logic signals used for bus decoding would be a useful addition. 16 logic signals in a zoomed display gets pretty crowded!

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #2198 on: August 31, 2018, 09:04:26 am »
Found a bug on RTM3004, presumably same on RTB.
When loading a setup, the annotations are not loaded (they are shown in the thumbnail).
My be classed as a mis-feature, but annotations can be as important as any other setup value - load setup should get you back to exactly where you were when saved.

This also applies to power-cycling - annotations should be preserved

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #2199 on: August 31, 2018, 01:38:19 pm »
The dynamic text scaling in decode can give some odd results sometimes - maybe better to decide on a size for the whole screen on each refresh ?
(Lower trace is clocked parallel bus mode)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf