Author Topic: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004  (Read 822511 times)

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
I have a Shipito account and I just checked their shipping calculator for a 19x15x10 box with 10.4 lbs weight and declared value of $200 and it was coming up as $82 Fedex Economy to London SW7 with insurance included.

When I increased the declared value to $2080 the price increased to $111 Fedex Economy with Insurance. Not bad versus listed Fedex or DHL prices

I have a FedEx account and that sounds about right. If you are a punter off the street without an account with FedEx, prepare to be royally shafted! Alternatively, you can use third parties. Quite often FedEx Priority is actually cheaper than FedEx Economy bizarrely.

Are you in SW7? Coincidentally, that is also my location.

Offline JoHr

• Regular Contributor
Someone asked for some scope shots of audio with FFT, here are some. They are just listing to Pandora through the computer. I could also do sin, triangle, square wave at a set frequency if interested. settings are on screen.

Joel

... looks like a modern art master piece ...
here some simple shots from  an audio sweep 1KHz-22kHz
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy (with Min- and MaxHold)
and some local radio stations (Avg with usage of cursors)

The law of conservation of bugs states that the total amount of  bugs of an isolated system remains constant. Bugs can neither be created nor destroyed; rather, they can be transformed from one form to another.

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
Has anyone here in New Zealand purchased the RTB2004, I'm interested but found very little information on it here including lead time.

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
Has anyone here in New Zealand purchased the RTB2004, I'm interested but found very little information on it here including lead time.
I had a bit of a look myself, but didn't have any luck finding any decent RTB2K-COM4 promo pricing (element14 has it in stock for $5.5k NZD + GST, cheaper than full list price but a far cry from the ~$2k USD promo).
I also checked out getting one sent to NZ from the states via NZ post's youshop freight-forwarding service, but they have a $2k USD limit. I think the US units are likely all gone now unfortunately.

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
Here's a couple more audio with peak detect and of a 10KHz square wave.

The following users thanked this post: fonograph, Hydron

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
Having a large screen makes vertical and horizontal labeling possible and it allows for a quick reading of values without the use cursors

Offline LaserEng

• Regular Contributor
I have a Shipito account and I just checked their shipping calculator for a 19x15x10 box with 10.4 lbs weight and declared value of $200 and it was coming up as $82 Fedex Economy to London SW7 with insurance included.

When I increased the declared value to $2080 the price increased to $111 Fedex Economy with Insurance. Not bad versus listed Fedex or DHL prices

I have a FedEx account and that sounds about right. If you are a punter off the street without an account with FedEx, prepare to be royally shafted! Alternatively, you can use third parties. Quite often FedEx Priority is actually cheaper than FedEx Economy bizarrely.

Are you in SW7? Coincidentally, that is also my location.

I used to be around 25+ years ago, originally from the west country...Wales   :D spent some time in SW7 and then back to Wales until moved to California in 2002 and been in Thailand since 2005. So not in SW7 now but previously, yes.

Fedex and DHL pricing is horrid if you just come of the street with no account, if you ahve an account it's not so bad bit I've used Shipito for 10 + years and can't fault them for international forwarding, though I remember having to jump through a bunch of loops to get the account set up.

Looking forward to getting my RTB2004, always nice getting new toys  ;D

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
I also checked out getting one sent to NZ from the states via NZ post's youshop freight-forwarding service, but they have a $2k USD limit. I think the US units are likely all gone now unfortunately.

Thanks, I think Nichecom may be the NZ  distributor, not sure. Don't have a lot of time or patience right now, so  I may just get the MSO3024T if I can't get a quote and short lead time this coming week.

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
I don't mind the glass display, my scope is partially under a shelf so reflections aren't a problem. I also noticed that if I'm looking at the screen data I seem to look past any reflections. I clean the glass from time to time with "Invisible Glass" that we can get in the states which works really well.

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
Scope captures of built-in generator. 10KHz sin wave in sample mode and hires mode.

Offline kkessler

• Regular Contributor
I assume that there will be another one of these scope available from Test Equity soon, because I just canceled my order. I don't know if they have a wait list or anything, though.

I originally ordered from TestEquity in mid March, but when a couple were in stock at Allied, I ordered one of them, and received it last week.  I thought about getting the second scope and selling it on eBay, but the risks of selling a high ticket item on eBay, coupled with the complications of shipping made me think it was just not worth the pita to go that route, so I canceled my Test Equity order.

I can say I'm happy with the scope; it is doubtless the best scope I've ever owned.

Good luck, I hope an EEVBlogger gets that scope.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
I assume that there will be another one of these scope available from Test Equity soon, because I just canceled my order. I don't know if they have a wait list or anything, though.

I originally ordered from TestEquity in mid March, but when a couple were in stock at Allied, I ordered one of them, and received it last week.  I thought about getting the second scope and selling it on eBay, but the risks of selling a high ticket item on eBay, coupled with the complications of shipping made me think it was just not worth the pita to go that route, so I canceled my Test Equity order.

I can say I'm happy with the scope; it is doubtless the best scope I've ever owned.

I don't think TestEquity will relist the item for $2080.  Some distributors (Allied, Newark) still have the RTB2K-COM4 package available, but at full price for $7920.  What is over is the promotional introductory price.  The promotion was a combination of both the available quantity and the timeframe.

http://www.newark.com/rohde-schwarz/rtb2k-com4/rtb2004-complete-bundle-300-mhz/dp/08AC3745?ost=RTB2K-COM4&searchView=table&iscrfnonsku=false&ddkey=http%3Aen-US%2FElement14_US%2Fsearch

http://www.alliedelec.com/rohde-and-schwarz-rtb2k-com4/70979679/

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
It sounds like a pretty decent option but to take costs down further, I recommend trying viabox rather than myus.com. They have the cheapest shipping rates & I've had no problems with them so far. Hope this helps.

Viabox is grossly misrepresenting prices and scope service in their comparison page.

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties

I don't think TestEquity will relist the item for $2080.  Some distributors (Allied, Newark) still have the RTB2K-COM4 package available, but at full price for $7920.  What is over is the promotional introductory price.  The promotion was a combination of both the available quantity and the timeframe.

http://www.newark.com/rohde-schwarz/rtb2k-com4/rtb2004-complete-bundle-300-mhz/dp/08AC3745?ost=RTB2K-COM4&searchView=table&iscrfnonsku=false&ddkey=http%3Aen-US%2FElement14_US%2Fsearch

http://www.alliedelec.com/rohde-and-schwarz-rtb2k-com4/70979679/

That's correct Test Equity told me just an hour ago the promo is no longer available.

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
More Audio freq with FFT. 10KHz sin.

Not sure why I can't select a say 20KHz span with 10KHz center frequency, might be memory related. I notice things change based on time base.

Last two are comparing FFT to my spectrum analyzer. Tried to get settings as close to the same as I could.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 10:26:28 pm by Joel_l »

The following users thanked this post: fonograph

Offline JoHr

• Regular Contributor
works ... you should reduce your sample rate to adopt the highest available frequency    fMax=(samplerate/2)
This also makes your RBW come down too for a better resolution of your 10kHz peak.

The law of conservation of bugs states that the total amount of  bugs of an isolated system remains constant. Bugs can neither be created nor destroyed; rather, they can be transformed from one form to another.

Offline JoHr

• Regular Contributor
Last two are comparing FFT to my spectrum analyzer. Tried to get settings as close to the same as I could.

Trying to capture a 10kHz frequency peak with a spectrum analyzer and frequency step of 30kHz won´t make you happy.
You should use a much much lower frequency step to get a better resolution on your spectrum.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
I'm getting a visit from the UK product manager and someone from the German office tomorrow, to talk about opinions on UI and usage  etc - if anyone has any specific questions/suggestions let me know.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: Octane

Offline thanasisk

• Regular Contributor
I'm getting a visit from the UK product manager and someone from the German office tomorrow, to talk about opinions on UI and usage  etc - if anyone has any specific questions/suggestions let me know.

My suggestion, based on what I have seen in the video reviews would be : the touchscreen lag definitely has to be addressed by using a more beefy processor or more optimized code (or a better touch screen?)

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff

My suggestion, based on what I have seen in the video reviews would be : the touchscreen lag definitely has to be addressed by using a more beefy processor or more optimized code (or a better touch screen?)
I think it could be made to look less clunky by removing all the sliding transition stuff and have menus just appear instantly

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
Unfortunately I don't get mine till the weekend, so can't make any suggestions from personal experience, but I've listed a few thoughts below:
- As others (inc. you I think) have mentioned, it would be nice to have the current memory depth displayed somewhere.
- Some more math options (e.g. integration, differentiation, multiple operations, filters etc) and trigger options would probably be quite useful, but i suspect the reason for the limited options may be product differentiation from their higher end kit.
- There'll always be improvements available for decodes etc, you probably know where they could improve better than most
- Maybe query the low sample rate capability of the arbitrary waveform generator? Waveform generator is quite an expensive option if you didn't get the promo, would be nice to be able to run >10MS/s in arb mode.
- Would be nice if you could pull waveform data out at closer to the native gigabit ethernet speed; faster rate would allow for some pretty powerful capture and analysis on a PC

Will add anything more I think of - as always it's easy to come up with a huge wishlist but harder to keep it realistic. If the UK product manager is Richard, then he seemed pretty helpful when I dealt with him - hopefully he has some sway with the people deciding what goes into any firmware updates.

The following users thanked this post: Octane

Offline JoHr

• Regular Contributor
... permanently visible memory depth would be nice ...

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
... permanently visible memory depth would be nice ...
Yes - top-right area should show memory and trigger holdoff.

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
The rise time is quite slow on the square wave.
Green Agilent 33220 signal gen, yellow R&S.

Sine wave distortion = 0.04%
Agilent 33220 = 0.03%
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 12:28:41 pm by Robaroni »

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
Yes of course. I'm finding that with the SA , even though I have set things to manual, as I try to dial things in where I want, the SA changes other settings. I think this happens when I go out of range as I am changing  things ( like accidentally keying in 100KHz instead of 10KHz before really getting it set to 10KHz CF ).

As far as the scope, I do run into limitations of span vs RBW vs center when doing FFT, and they are very dependent on sample frequency. I always worry that I miss some content when the sample rate is too low. Maybe this does not matter for the audio sample shots I was trying to get for someone. For me, I am usually more concerned with capturing high frequency content on slow rising edges.

I notice on this class of scope, you can not set sample rate independent of time base. I can do this with the scopes at work, usefulness only limited by sample memory. I've  noticed in extreme cases, the "big" scopes will clip the display if the memory depth is not big enough to fill the display at the time base and sample rate.

In any case, thanks for the insights, I am still learning the limitations of both the scope and SA. The SA I find I mostly have to be mindful of it changing settings on me.

Joel

Trying to capture a 10kHz frequency peak with a spectrum analyzer and frequency step of 30kHz won´t make you happy.
You should use a much much lower frequency step to get a better resolution on your spectrum.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf