Author Topic: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004  (Read 816031 times)

nctnico and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
So nobody wants to keep it?  :box:
I am keeping the other one  :)
OK, I hadn't noticed you owned two.  ;)
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline JoHr

• Regular Contributor
Hi, just got in my RTB2004 and am having a problem with probe calibration on channel 1. Whatever I try, switching probe from 1x to 10x or anything else in the channel settings, I always get - Probe Adjust Warning: Signal does not match. -. I don't have this problem on the other 3 channels and all channel settings are the same. Different probes make no difference either.

Anyone seen this?

Hi ...  as far as i could see the signal seems to be detected well  2.5V and 1kHz.
Trigger level seems to be low ... I didn´t have this message on my RTB since i have it.
The law of conservation of bugs states that the total amount of  bugs of an isolated system remains constant. Bugs can neither be created nor destroyed; rather, they can be transformed from one form to another.

Offline artelse

• Regular Contributor
Hi, just got in my RTB2004 and am having a problem with probe calibration on channel 1. Whatever I try, switching probe from 1x to 10x or anything else in the channel settings, I always get - Probe Adjust Warning: Signal does not match. -. I don't have this problem on the other 3 channels and all channel settings are the same. Different probes make no difference either.

Anyone seen this?

Hi ...  as far as i could see the signal seems to be detected well  2.5V and 1kHz.
Trigger level seems to be low ... I didn´t have this message on my RTB since i have it.

The problem has disappeared the next day and have not been able to reproduce it. I also had the impression channel 1 was a little bit more noisier than the others, but if that has any relationship.. I think the issue is related to a day of heavy experimenting with features. One other issue I had was the pattern generator that I could not enable at all. It required me to do a factory reset. Now it all works fine.

Offline artelse

• Regular Contributor
Pattern Generator has failed again requiring me to do a factory reset. Anyone else has this problem?

Does R&S have an official place for bug reports?

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
I also have one to give away but haven't yet thought of a good way to do it & very busy atm.

in case dave nominates someone from europe, donate yours so no customs  >:D

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
I also have one to give away but haven't yet thought of a good way to do it & very busy atm.

I'm probably going to limit it to Europe anyway.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor

No duties is only valid if done before Brexit...  >:D  :-DD

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff

No duties is only valid if done before Brexit...  >:D  :-DD
...with luck I might even get round to doing it before then...
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline ws2812b

• Regular Contributor
Pattern Generator has failed again requiring me to do a factory reset. Anyone else has this problem?

Does R&S have an official place for bug reports?

this looks like the right place to me: https://gloris.rohde-schwarz.com/anonymous/en/pages/toplevel/service_support_requests.html

Offline artelse

• Regular Contributor
Yes, I submitted a service request at gloris. They immediately (!) came back to me with some questions. As the app screen shows an active patt. gen. while it is actually off, it looks like a status bug of some sort. Hopefully they fix it in the next firmware update as it is annoying to always have to reset the scope.

Offline agdr

• Supporter
    • agdr Audio
Front panel unboxing
« Reply #1685 on: July 07, 2017, 12:35:40 am »
The front panel I ordered 2 months ago (5/9/17) finally arrived!  Cheers me up a bit about this scope after that nearly-useless firmware update.

The first photo shows opening the box up.  R&S have it sitting in there upside down.  The box is nice and heavy, I'll give them credit for that.  Plastic over the panel to protect from rubbing on the cardboard.

Then fitting on the scope.  There is a small gap where the scope's white panel bezel plastic mates with the blue body plastic.  The two plastic snaps on either side of the front panel "click in" to that gap just perfectly.  At first I figured that is how it attaches, but things didn't seem quite right.  The panel could slide up and down in the track.  There was also still a considerable gap between the top of the panel and the scope bezel that could let in dust.

Hmmm.  I studied the thing a bit more and it seemed to be molded/sized to fit around the scope bezel, which is what should be happening with a cover.  Relying on the sage age-old advice of "it if doesn't fit force it; if it breaks it needed replacing anyway" I pushed a lot harder on the panel.  Sure enough, the side panel plastic snaps popped out of the groove and instead clamped around and indentation in the blue body plastic, as the second photo shows.

In that photo you can see the panel snap is firmly "locked into" the groove between the white panel bezel and the blue body plastic, where it shouldn't be.  When you push harder it pops out of the groove and then goes around the curved blue plastic to the right of where the panel snap is here.  As far as I can tell there is no way to avoid this two-step process.

In the "that's not a bug, its a feature!" department there is the chance that R&S designed it this way to allow two different mounting positions for the panel, one forward of actually snapping over the screen.  The fit of the panel snaps into the groove is so perfect it seems unlikely the mating happened by design chance.  But I can't fathom what the purpose or use of having the panel sticking out a cm from the front of the screen would be.

With the installation figured out I can say I'm happy with the results.  The new panel protects the scope screen quite nicely.  The panel it is fairly sturdy.  I bought the panel after becoming worried about scuffing of the (touch) screen from repeated in and out of the R&S case for the unit.  Is it worth the $85 they charge (some small discount by logging in at Tequipment)?  Absolutely not.  Should you buy one?  Definitely.  It is cheap insurance compared to the cost of the scope to prevent bad things from happening to the screen in transport.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 04:51:00 am by agdr »

The following users thanked this post: Octane, Eric_S

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
Noticed the same as above on my cover (snagged the last one in stock at Farnell, so had it within 24 hours rather than 2 months!). I find that taking it on/off at an angle helps, but am still tempted to shave down the lip of the over a little to make it less sharp, which might make it less liable to catch on the groove.

Offline WackyGerman

• Regular Contributor

:-+ :-+ . Ihope it will get a good new home and the new owner reaaly need such a beasty item  :popcorn:

Offline peter-h

• Super Contributor
  • Doing electronics since the 1960s...
Apologies of I missed this but a search doesn't find it. Is there a bandwidth hack for the RTB2004?
Z80 Z180 Z280 Z8 S8 8031 8051 H8/300 H8/500 80x86 90S1200 32F417

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
Apologies of I missed this but a search doesn't find it. Is there a bandwidth hack for the RTB2004?

None that I am aware of. This is a brand new scope! Most who have it here probably have the full 350MHz bandwidth already - due to the promotional launch deal.

Offline artelse

• Regular Contributor
Dave on EEVblab showed a conceptual man-in-the-middle hardware hack on the chip controlling the bandwidth.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Dave on EEVblab showed a conceptual man-in-the-middle hardware hack on the chip controlling the bandwidth.

Nope, This was for the HMO1202.

https://www.eevblog.com/2016/05/13/eevblog-879-rs-hmo1202-scope-bandwidth-hack-investigation/
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor

Nope, This was for the HMO1202.

https://www.eevblog.com/2016/05/13/eevblog-879-rs-hmo1202-scope-bandwidth-hack-investigation/
The same trick is potentially usable for the RTB as well - I believe it uses the same part: http://www.ti.com/product/LMH6518
The VGA bandwidth settings mostly match up with the RTB options, but 70MHz is missing, so the limit could well be more complex than just a VGA setting.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

None that I am aware of. This is a brand new scope! Most who have it here probably have the full 350MHz bandwidth already - due to the promotional launch deal.

Likely true.
This is not a cheap scope, it's popularity on the forum is mostly related due to the promotional deal. Was a huge marketing win for R&S.

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • save the children - chase the cabal

Likely true.
This is not a cheap scope, it's popularity on the forum is mostly related due to the promotional deal. Was a huge marketing win for R&S.
I'm not.
Now, i own the 70Mhz version without anything...
And, I LOVE IT!  :clap:
But for now, i'm completely broke.  :phew:
 ;D

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra

May I ask where you have bought it?
I'm looking for one as well.

Thanks,

Andreas
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
Its only a marketing win if these scopes sold at cost stimulate a lot of sales of scopes at a healthy profit. We've seen it create a lot of buzz around the product, but we'll never know how it really works out for R&S. Giving away scopes seems to be the flavour of the month among marketing tactics. ;)

Offline ruairi

• Frequent Contributor
It's hard to quantify in the short-term.  Interestingly as a now RTB2004 owner I find myself much more amenable to the rest of their products, new and used.

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
Its only a marketing win if these scopes sold at cost stimulate a lot of sales of scopes at a healthy profit. We've seen it create a lot of buzz around the product, but we'll never know how it really works out for R&S. Giving away scopes seems to be the flavour of the month among marketing tactics. ;)

Good- keep it up!

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • save the children - chase the cabal

May I ask where you have bought it?
I'm looking for one as well.

Thanks,

Andreas

http://www.datatec.de/Rohde-Schwarz-RTB2004-Oszilloskop.htm

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf