Author Topic: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004  (Read 817925 times)

Offline Fgrir

• Regular Contributor
Found a small bug with the vertical zoom - it doesn't seem to move the trace labels when you adjust the zoom scale and offset.  See attached...

Offline ws2812b

• Regular Contributor
Yep, I actually reaally like the USB feature. Works like plugin in your Smartphone/USB thumb drive. Never saw anything that convenient before.
They also put up a short video on it:

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
With a web based interface OTOH you only need a standard web browser and it should even be possible to use a smartphone or tablet to do screen captures.

Yes, I can do that with the RTB2004. It's a very nice feature.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Hi,

The web interface lets you capture screenshots and transfer data easily.

Michael
And live screen update and remote control.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline glowman

• Contributor
Hi Michael,

I'm anxiously waiting for your review on the new features.  I have some observations/bugs found but, will just wait for your reviews.

Thanks.

Offline mroths5905

Hi.

I hopefully going to try and get my firmware update review uploaded later today or tomorrow at the latest

I have been testing the new firmware and found one small bug (to date) with the pattern generator software which causes the RTB2004 to crash and require a re-boot. The software has options for I2S (audio), which I wonder if are a possible error from code for the RTM3000 with this feature?

Hopefully have the review uploaded shortly.

Kind regards

Michael

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
I really like the 10bit data capability of the rtb2004. Unfortunatly data transfer is really slow. However, hooked up to gigabit ethernet the 20Mpoints memory of a channel transfer in about 40s.

I wrote a very quick python module and script which requests channel data and performs an fft on the hole aquisition memory. So far it just plots the data.

https://github.com/sixtemesseven/RTB200x

Anyway, i thought I trow it out there in case somebody needs something similar... And I think the capabilitie of this scope of very fast data transfer to a pc is great but doesnt seem to get mentioned a lot.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 02:37:32 pm by sixtimesseven »

The following users thanked this post: hwj-d

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
Note: new User Manual v06 posted.
https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/us/manual/rtb2000/

Minor changes from what I can tell. I found the following:
* Quick Access
* Auto scale in probe menu
* Zoom icon
* Features in segment table (average, envelop, overlay)
* FFT screen seems to have a slightly differen tlayout at the bottm (they changed the pic)

The following users thanked this post: edavid, Joel_l, sixtimesseven, hwj-d, MikeP

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
Both this and the last version of the manual mention "Measurement Gate" on pg 335 the remote commands section (but not earlier in the main part). The commands don't seem to work; Rich - is this something planned to be ported over from the 3000 series in the future? Seems to be a useful enhancement.

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
Hi,
I'm working on a design where I need to measure pulse width but I didn't see the ability in the measurements.
Thanks for the help,
Rob

Offline Octane

• Regular Contributor
Hi Robaroni,

I've attached a screenshot of the measurement selection menu showing the pulse width measurements.

BR,
Michael
W4MFT

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
I really like that R&S actually updates manuals. Too many places just don't. I've run across several cases where I try to see how to do something in "the manual " and the software or firmware has changed so much that the manual has no resemblance to how things look or work anymore.

Thanks R&S!

Note: new User Manual v06 posted.
https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/us/manual/rtb2000/

Minor changes from what I can tell. I found the following:
* Quick Access
* Auto scale in probe menu
* Zoom icon
* Features in segment table (average, envelop, overlay)
* FFT screen seems to have a slightly differen tlayout at the bottm (they changed the pic)

The following users thanked this post: HackedFridgeMagnet

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
Thanks Michael, I wasn't seeing the"vertical" and "horizontal" options!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 10:45:03 pm by Robaroni »

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
Minor FW issue on the RTB2K:
The pattern generator Pattern menu includes "Audio - I2S" and "Audio - TDM" options. I am not sure these should be supported anyway, but picking either of those hangs the pattern generator menu (i.e. it cannot be open again until the instrument settings are reset).

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline robotrovsky

I found another bug, when i was working with UART (RTB configured for 9 data bits and Terminal configured for 8 data bits + parity odd). The display sometimes doesnt clear correctly, resulting in showing the current AND the last waveform. I love the scope, but things like this are annoying, thinking of the price i paid. I use the current firmware V02.101. To reproduce the error hold down a key in the Terminal (e.g. Putty) resulting in continuous triggering, then press a second key on the keyboard. Maybe this error can be reproduced with other settings, but that was what i was working on:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 06:08:04 pm by robotrovsky »

Offline Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

• Frequent Contributor
I found another bug, when i was working with UART (RTB configured for 9 data bits and Terminal configured for 8 data bits + parity odd). The display sometimes doesnt clear correctly, resulting in showing the current AND the last waveform. I love the scope, but things like this are annoying, thinking of the price i paid. I use the current firmware V02.101. To reproduce the error hold down a key in the Terminal (e.g. Putty) resulting in continuous triggering, then press a second key on the keyboard. Maybe this error can be reproduced with other settings, but that was what i was working on:
Hi robotrovsky - I tried to PM you back, but it says your inbox is full.  This doesn't appear to be a bug as the signal has different pulse widths and with an edge trigger you could see both of those appear on the display at the same time (our update rate is fast enough that we have to plot lots of waveforms at one time).  Do you still see this issue if you use an advanced trigger like?

•   trigger on start frame of uart
•   trigger on pulse width
•   use trigger hold off time

-Rich

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
Hi robotrovsky - I tried to PM you back, but it says your inbox is full. 
This is due to the (almost unknown) fact that new users can only receive 3 (or 5?) PMs, after this they will not be able to receive more PMs (sender are being told that the mailbox is full). New users need to write at least 5 regular postings before the mailbox is active again. I too was (and still are) not able to send messages to some users several times because of this anti spam 'feature'. What's cruel is, that the recipient won't know about it. This is a very unfortunate anti spam solution! Users should get a message (or PM) telling them this fact after they registered.
So Robotrovsky :you need to write some postings before you can receive PMs again!

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • save the children - chase the cabal
Incidentally, I find it synonymous better, if in the forum asked technical on-topic questions should also be answered in his thread.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Hi robotrovsky - I tried to PM you back, but it says your inbox is full.  This doesn't appear to be a bug as the signal has different pulse widths and with an edge trigger you could see both of those appear on the display at the same time (our update rate is fast enough that we have to plot lots of waveforms at one time).  Do you still see this issue if you use an advanced trigger like?

-Rich

LOL. It's a feature.. You should use complicated trigger that will ensure retrigger slowdown, so our poor display engine will have time only to paint waveforms once..

With do all respect, how is that not a bug? You cannot show ANYTHING except last trigger event. Display persistence have no place here.
What is this, an artsy fartsy graphic tablet or a scope. From a premium manufacturer. For a premium price.
No wait, but you can paint on screen with your fingers... That's important.

Rigol can do it, Siglent can do it. For price that is less than one software option on R/S. 
It's year and a half now since RTB2000 was released..
Get a grip. And that buggy, hipstery platform is used for 3000 and 4000. That cost a lots of money. Lots of money.
Bug fixes would really need to me a bit more aggressive (faster) at least until you weed out basic platform functions.

R&S was one of the legendary companies for many years. Good solid stuff. Expensive, but professional and worth every penny. Now, not so much, at least at this scope range.
Shame really...
I really hope you keep up with the reputation.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor

-Rich

LOL. It's a feature.. You should use complicated trigger that will ensure retrigger slowdown, so our poor display engine will have time only to paint waveforms once..

With do all respect, how is that not a bug? You cannot show ANYTHING except last trigger event. Display persistence have no place here.
What is this, an artsy fartsy graphic tablet or a scope. From a premium manufacturer. For a premium price.
No wait, but you can paint on screen with your fingers... That's important.

Rigol can do it, Siglent can do it. For price that is less than one software option on R/S. 
It's year and a half now since RTB2000 was released..
Get a grip. And that buggy, hipstery platform is used for 3000 and 4000. That cost a lots of money. Lots of money.
Bug fixes would really need to me a bit more aggressive (faster) at least until you weed out basic platform functions.

R&S was one of the legendary companies for many years. Good solid stuff. Expensive, but professional and worth every penny. Now, not so much, at least at this scope range.
Shame really...
I really hope you keep up with the reputation.

Say what you like but typically if you aren't sure how to trigger on your data you will get the same issue with any scope.

Offline Octane

• Regular Contributor
From what I read in robotrovsky‘s post I think he is not single triggering, thus this behavior is fully expected if the waveform changes between triggers. You will see a similar thing on any scope. As is to expect when he presses two keys. Also why did he set the scope to 9 databits and the terminal to 8?

Michael
W4MFT

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Doesn't have to be SINGLE capture.
On that image he has TWO consecutive trigger events overlapped on the screen.
Unless he has infinite persistence on, there is no way you should have those two waveforms simultaneously on screen.
Every new trigger even erases previous capture buffer.
So yes I apologize for oversight, if you set infinite persistence than you can get that screen.
In all other cases, all previous waveforms cannot stay on screen. Only the last one. And decode for that one.

If it were chinese scope all would be enraged how "chinese shit" is no good. When big guys do it, it's not a bug, or not their fault...

Of course it is a bug.

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
When big guys do it, it's not a bug, or not their fault...

In that case, it's a standard!

Offline Octane

• Regular Contributor
I think that is exactly what the scope should do. If there are multiple triggers within one frame-time of the screen it should show all the events within this time, no? I thought that is what intensity grading is based on. So if you have two qualified trigger events within 16ms (assuming 60Hz LCD refresh rate; I know this is simplified ) then I would like to see both, no? Or should one just be thrown away? Do i miss something?

Michael
W4MFT

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
I think that is exactly what the scope should do. If there are multiple triggers within one frame-time of the screen it should show all the events within this time, no? I thought that is what intensity grading is based on. So if you have two qualified trigger events within 16ms (assuming 60Hz LCD refresh rate; I know this is simplified ) then I would like to see both, no? Or should one just be thrown away? Do i miss something?
The problem is that with 2 signals on screen you have no clue what is being decoded so yes, that is a problem.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf