Author Topic: New meter that may be worthy of some attention?  (Read 11290 times)

Offline SpecmasterTopic starter

• Super Contributor
New meter that may be worthy of some attention?
« on: July 27, 2017, 10:26:48 pm »
Found myself in need of another DMM for the bench and while I have proper bench  DMM they are not always as versatile as handheld ones which have other useful features on them.

I came across the one on this site https://www.banggood.com/BSIDE-ADM08A-6000-Counts-True-RMS-Digital-Multimeter-p-1071663.html?rmmds=category  and thought that looked reasonable for the money as it is never going to be used on high energy circuits so I ordered it.
I won’t go over bits and bobs that you can see on the above link, instead I want to mention what I discovered when I stripped it down for a squiz at the internals as far the protection and safety seeing as there are plenty of threads discussing the safety issues etc.

After struggling to remove the outer bumper 4 screws became visible, 1 in each corner on the bottom, these are self-tapping screws as the bottom is not normally expected to be removed that often so it was an obvious area for savings to be made. They have made a really good attempt at keeping any flash and blast blown debris in the event of the meter being mis-used and having a current range whacked across a high energy source such as the 230v mains supply, within the meter casing.
The input sockets look like they are opened but closer inspection shows that the bottom has a well for each input jack so that when the casing is correctly screwed together, seals the jacks off so each one becomes self-contained, nice touch. There is evidence of overload protection n the PCB as well, well away from the 20A current shunt as are the fuses which are 250v HRC as well, none of the glass rubbish. PCB looks to be well laid out in the bottom half with most of the components in the top half of it.

Once reassembled and the bumper refitted it really does look to be a reasonably protected meter should the unthinkable happen. It has a really useful stand as well, sturdy enough to allow the meter to be operated single handed. The thing that attracted me to it was the fact that it has a non-contact voltage detector built into it and also a single probe voltage detector to enable conformation that the live connection has been disconnected prior to working on mains systems.

Has a capacitor range up to 6 farads according to the spec sheet and 60M ohms which 40M more than most DMM and analogue ones for that matter.

The continuity tester seems to work really well and in testing I could not get to miss once and so far the weakest link with this meter is the really cheap leads come with it, they are really stiff and not ideal for poking about in equipment. I have already replaced these with some other far better silicon leads which also came from Banggood and have also impressed me with their quality.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Mark Hennessy

• Frequent Contributor
    • My electronics and audio website
Re: New meter that may be worthy of some attention?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 10:50:44 pm »
Mine arrived today. I've not yet had a chance to look at it, but will add it to my reviews already on another forum - http://golbornevintageradio.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=5501 - and soon to be on my website in a more detailed form. First impressions: it's an ugly brute in uncompromising black. I prefer the blue used by BSIDE on the ADM01/02. Bigger than I expected - almost the same as a Fluke 87V. But notwithstanding the colour, I do like the separate holster - I'm sure it adds to the mechanical ruggedness.

Noting the true RMS and 6,000-count, I wonder if it's based on the same DTM0660 chipset that the Aneng/Zotek meters (AN8002, AN8008, AN860B+) use? The separate EEPROM next to the COB is suggestive of that.

Naturally, the CAT IV 600V rating is surely "optimistic". The probes are only CAT III rated. No sub-£20 eBay meter sees anything beyond CAT I here!

Personally, I don't really use manual-ranging meters; I only picked up this one to review because a lot of the folk on the vintage radio forums prefer them.

Offline Mark Hennessy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 11:20:20 pm »
After struggling to remove the outer bumper 4 screws became visible, 1 in each corner on the bottom,

Not mine! Only 2, at the top. The 2 down at the input jacks are missing, never installed!

Not a great start :--

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 11:26:31 pm »
There is evidence of overload protection n the PCB as well, well away from the 20A current shunt as are the fuses which are 250v HRC as well, none of the glass rubbish. PCB looks to be well laid out in the bottom half with most of the components in the top half of it.
They better be, given the 600 V CAT IV rating  :bullshit:.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 11:29:44 pm »
Mine arrived today. I've not yet had a chance to look at it, but will add it to my reviews already on another forum - http://golbornevintageradio.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=5501 - and soon to be on my website in a more detailed form. First impressions: it's an ugly brute in uncompromising black. I prefer the blue used by BSIDE on the ADM01/02. Bigger than I expected - almost the same as a Fluke 87V. But notwithstanding the colour, I do like the separate holster - I'm sure it adds to the mechanical ruggedness.

Noting the true RMS and 6,000-count, I wonder if it's based on the same DTM0660 chipset that the Aneng/Zotek meters (AN8002, AN8008, AN860B+) use? The separate EEPROM next to the COB is suggestive of that.

Naturally, the CAT IV 600V rating is surely "optimistic". The probes are only CAT III rated. No sub-£20 eBay meter sees anything beyond CAT I here!

Personally, I don't really use manual-ranging meters; I only picked up this one to review because a lot of the folk on the vintage radio forums prefer them.

I agree the CAT ratings may be untrue, how ever they do seem to be a cut above a lot of other meters I have come across and they certainly made efforts to produce something that should acceptable to most people provided you're using not them professionally day in and day out in an environment where you would really need the ratings then they should prove to be fine. Certainly suitable for light electronic work where they will spend most their time in the resistance range anyway.

I have seen these in other colours as well and sporting other brand names.

I look forward to your in depth review in due course.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 11:31:50 pm »
There is evidence of overload protection n the PCB as well, well away from the 20A current shunt as are the fuses which are 250v HRC as well, none of the glass rubbish. PCB looks to be well laid out in the bottom half with most of the components in the top half of it.
They better be, given the 600 V CAT IV rating  :bullshit:.
Yeh, don't take it too literally, but it is far better than many cheap meters.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 04:24:36 am »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures.  I see the pcb is marked PM890D.  A quick search leads to

http://www.peak-meter.com/product/detail/104

made by PeakMeter. 

Personally, I don't like manual ranging meters and with 30 stops I'm even more likely to hate it. 

The Peak Meter version has that nice orange paint on the selector dial to help identify what range you are on.  Your version is simply black, on both sides.  UI fail, IMHO.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 04:35:25 am by retiredcaps »

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 07:18:29 am »
When I see manual ranging on a multimeter, I immidiatly assume its garbage. Cant be had to implement auto ranging.
For  me its just like soldering Irons that have the heating element in the handle and not the tip. Yeah it works, but it sucks. After getting my first auto ranging dmm, I never want to go back to manual range.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

Offline crazyguy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 08:51:43 am »
PeakMeter has 4 different versions of this meter.

PM890D
PM890C = PM890D + Temperature
PM18 = PM890D + LED flashlight
PM18C = PM890C + LED flashlight

I bought 6pcs of PM18C earlier this year. The factory calibrations are quite accurate (in DCV normally within +/- 2 counts). The continuity tester is really fast.

The following users thanked this post: rafik23

Offline Mark Hennessy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 08:58:13 am »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures.  I see the pcb is marked PM890D.  A quick search leads to

http://www.peak-meter.com/product/detail/104

made by PeakMeter. 

Personally, I don't like manual ranging meters and with 30 stops I'm even more likely to hate it. 

The Peak Meter version has that nice orange paint on the selector dial to help identify what range you are on.  Your version is simply black, on both sides.  UI fail, IMHO.

Agree completely about the unpainted pointer. That's one of the first things I wrote in my draft write-up. As mentioned earlier, the review was done with the UK vintage radio community in mind (a lot of them like manual ranging), so they'll have no shortage of touch-up paint used for cosmetic restoration purposes, and will no-doubt be happy to apply a bit to the pointer.

From a quick search, the Peak Meter version is about twice the price. It has a nicer colour scheme.

4 AAs make it a heavy meter :)

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 09:15:31 am »
I'm always suspicious of meters that expose transistor tester / capacitor tester lead holes near the dial (not just this meter).

Surely these must compromise the Cat rating?  :-\
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 10:28:33 am »
I'm always suspicious of meters that expose transistor tester / capacitor tester lead holes near the dial (not just this meter).

Surely these must compromise the Cat rating?  :-\

I wouldn't really know but interestingly the Fluke 18b+ incorporates a LED test point similar to the transistor tester port yet its category rating is still the same as the Fluke 17b+ which doesn't have this feature, both appear to be rated at 1000 volt cat II and 600 volt cat III.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 11:39:31 am »

Agree completely about the unpainted pointer. That's one of the first things I wrote in my draft write-up. As mentioned earlier, the review was done with the UK vintage radio community in mind (a lot of them like manual ranging), so they'll have no shortage of touch-up paint used for cosmetic restoration purposes, and will no-doubt be happy to apply a bit to the pointer.

From a quick search, the Peak Meter version is about twice the price. It has a nicer colour scheme.

4 AAs make it a heavy meter :)

I also agree about the unpainted pointer, something I indeed to paint with some yellow touch up paint. Colour of the meter does not bother me at all. its all about function as far as I'm concerned, I want to use it, not look at it.

The 4 x AA do make it heavier but that is a double edged sword, as it also helps assist stability when using the stand and also help to add some heft to it assisting the one handed switching of ranges. Also weight is not really a major consideration for something that is not going to be used anywhere else other than on the bench.

Your right about the price as well, I also have seen it for sale under another brand name so I looked around for the best price I could find being that I'm retired, so price is an issue to me. Bear in mind as well that the current price from Banggood is still way more than I paid for mine so therefore I consider that I got a real bargain. OK the CAT ratings are not going to be achieved, we all know that, but it can't be denied that the designers have made a reasonable effort to produce a pretty good meter with a quality that you don't normally find until you start spending far larger sums of money. It certainly isn't going to be bothering the likes of Fluke and similar makers but not everyone needs that level anyway.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 01:50:21 pm »
PM18A autoranging version

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/PEAKMETER-Multimeter-Voltmeter-Ammeter-PM18A-with-True-RMS-AC-DC-Voltage-Resistance-Capacitance-Frequency-Temperature-NCV/32817940143.html?s=p

I mentioned it in a couple previous threads, it looks to be a pretty new release, it's sitting in my pending ali cart when I get around to checking out.  Yes as far as I know these meter are all using that dtm chipset like the 8001/2/8  101/2 etc
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 02:07:01 pm »
It looks good, might even grab one of those as well, great addition to my VC97 which is a autoranger too.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 02:34:26 pm »
Seems likely that PeakMeter is a brand name of Shenzhen Huayi which is an offshoot of Mastech.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 02:36:33 pm by Wytnucls »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2017, 02:50:13 pm »
Is that good then?

Who let Murphy in?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2017, 03:01:14 pm »
Problems:
- Manual ranging
- 60mF cap range only, useless for most caps
- No mV AC range
- No 6mA or 6A range (less on AC)
- No REL mode

And I won't mention the transistor tester  ;D

I don't see a market for this at all

Offline crazyguy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2017, 03:18:49 pm »
Is that good then?

good for me, I don't use auto ranging mode at all, I always use manual ranging mode.

I like this meter, very fast continuity tester, 3.2V output in diode mode , AA batteries, big display, good accuracy and cheap.

I don't like the backlight timeout in 15 seconds.

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 03:45:56 pm »
Mmmm 1000V Cat III, 600V Cat IV  :-DD

Offline Mark Hennessy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2017, 04:10:28 pm »
Capacitance is auto-ranging, so goes from 6nF to 60,000uF

(Frequency is auto-ranging too)

I agree that not many on here will want a manual-ranging meter like this, but whenever I recommend multimeters to the vintage radio crowd here in the UK, auto-ranging is usually the biggest complaint. Personally, I don't like manual ranging meters, but some folk do.

The 15 second backlight timeout seems to be the default for every cheap multimeter I've examined. At least there is some hope of changing it via the EEPROM. You might ask why you'd bother - and I'd agree - but on another thread there are people modifying the current ranges on the Aneng AN8008 rather than simply buying a £10 AN8002 to go with it :palm:

I haven't had a chance to do anything with mine apart from take a few photographs (and discover the missing case screws :palm: :palm:), but as it's based on a known-good chipset - as used in the AN8002 and others - I'm not expecting many surprises in terms of basic functionality and out-of-the-box accuracy. I only bought it to review - it's not one I'll use; give me the AN8002 instead - cheaper, smaller, lighter, prettier, good performance in Joe's torture tests, etc... If I need a meter the size of a Fluke 87V, I'll use a Fluke 87V :-+
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 02:01:37 pm by Mark Hennessy »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2017, 10:07:11 pm »
Mmmm 1000V Cat III, 600V Cat IV  :-DD
Why would you require those ratings when its going to spend its time poking around inside transistor radios and the like?

Never going to find energy sources high enough there to warrant CAT II even :-DD

Who let Murphy in?

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2017, 11:22:01 pm »
Seems likely that PeakMeter is a brand name of Shenzhen Huayi which is an offshoot of Mastech.

Interesting, the Adm01/2 that bside sell are also Mastech meters under the covers,  PM (and various others) also sell those under thier own brand and model number.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline crazyguy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2017, 04:59:21 am »

Interesting, the Adm01/2 that Bside sell are also Mastech meters under the covers,  PM (and various others) also sell those under thier own brand and model number.

Two of the founders of the Shenzhen New Huayi Instrument (HYELEC/Peakmeter) are come from Shenzhen Huayi Instrument (Mastech).

http://www.peak-meter.com/page/about.htm

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2017, 05:07:27 am »
Ha ha, he's a busy man that Mr Tian, Chairman of Peak Meter AND a male model.

~~~

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf