Author Topic: New Episode:OWON Show #3 XDS 12-bits resolution  (Read 16756 times)

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
Re: New Episode:OWON Show #3 XDS 12-bits resolution
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2016, 01:11:16 pm »
What you think about your mate now tautech , that mob has always been dodgy , my condolences .

I don't know Tautech, and IIRC there have been no complaints against him, and there are no sockpuppet account issues.
Do you have a point?

Yes , 2 hobbyist category's in signatures that's all Dave , no suggestion at all of sockpuppet account issues from this end , maybe i'm just off topic in the wrong thread?.

As soon as Business and sales and money comes into play a designation of hobby has far left the scene imo ...
Soon

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2016, 08:58:02 pm »
What you think about your mate now tautech , that mob has always been dodgy , my condolences .

I don't know Tautech, and IIRC there have been no complaints against him, and there are no sockpuppet account issues.
Do you have a point?

Yes , 2 hobbyist category's in signatures that's all Dave , no suggestion at all of sockpuppet account issues from this end , maybe i'm just off topic in the wrong thread?.

As soon as Business and sales and money comes into play a designation of hobby has far left the scene imo ...
Your opinion by definition seems a little screwed up.  :wtf:

You imply that business owners can't have hobbies......really.  :clap:
Tell that to the millions of business owners that undertake various pursuits and for the well healed ....several.

I consider myself very lucky that one of my interests has given me the opportunity to also pursue a commercial activity, albeit in a small market.

To address another comment you've made .....again by implication and presumption:

So there is NO misunderstanding, at this point in time I have NO commercial allegiances with OWON.

I did however welcome them to this forum.....as a hobbyist, and as with all manufacturers there are new developments continually surfacing that we will all can benefit from. Why wouldn't we want those shared here? That more members didn't also offer them good wishes is unfortunate as I imagine joining a forum as a manufacturer is a daunting move.

Business in China is tough ATM but for OWON to abuse their membership with multiple accounts in order to attempt to drum up business ......well we all know Dave's reaction.

Should any manufacturer member be warned at joining?
I mean because of the different cultures involved and what they might consider as "normal business" will get them banned here.

Others will have a different opinion but I'm disappointed at the loss of OWON or any manufacturer for that matter......we all lose.  :--

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2016, 12:23:12 am »
I wonder if in the TE locked sticky: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/newbies-please-read-before-posting/
there should be inclusion of at least some of the rules from those listed in General Chat:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/forum-rules-please-read/

These in particular:

8. No duplicate or "sock puppet" accounts will be tolerated.
9. No accounts impersonating other people will be allowed.

Then hopefully all can play by the rules and there not be further bans.  :-\

EDIT
Reported to moderators for their consideration ^^^
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2016, 12:24:59 am »
Others will have a different opinion but I'm disappointed at the loss of OWON or any manufacturer for that matter......we all lose.  :--

I agree with the loss
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2016, 01:05:58 am »

Err, you can be a business owner and still be a hobbyist.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2016, 01:10:18 am »

Me too, but creating fake account to talk up your products cannot be tolerated, there must be consequences.
Siglent did the same thing and were also banned, and they worked their way back into the good books.
Owon are welcome to try and do the same. So far haven't heard a peep out of them.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2016, 05:45:07 am »

Me too, but creating fake account to talk up your products cannot be tolerated, there must be consequences.
Siglent did the same thing and were also banned, and they worked their way back into the good books.
Owon are welcome to try and do the same. So far haven't heard a peep out of them.

he, could that include replacing the shit oscilloscope of theirs I bought where the power supply blew up after what would have only been hours of use ;) and the aliasing on it is awful. I'll never buy another owon product again.

As for the rules tautech mentions these are common sense and had to be spelled out somewhere in the name of fairness.

Offline mathsquid

• Regular Contributor
  • I like math.
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2016, 03:51:00 pm »
The user SW_design is OWON, it's a sockpuppet account....
EDIT: Geeze, the following accounts are also OWON sockpuppet accounts!

I'm curious about how one detects sockpuppets. My first thought is by checking IP addresses used by suspicious posters, but that seems like anyone with any sense would use a proxy or whatever to change IPs between accounts.  Or is it just obviously a sockpuppet when a new account makes a suspicious-looking post?

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2016, 04:28:28 pm »
The user SW_design is OWON, it's a sockpuppet account....
EDIT: Geeze, the following accounts are also OWON sockpuppet accounts!

I'm curious about how one detects sockpuppets. My first thought is by checking IP addresses used by suspicious posters, but that seems like anyone with any sense would use a proxy or whatever to change IPs between accounts.  Or is it just obviously a sockpuppet when a new account makes a suspicious-looking post?

you go with you nose ;)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2016, 05:11:40 am »

As Simon said, you go with your nose.
I noticed new accounts were suspiciously praising OWON in this thread, and SMF has powerful features to search for sockpuppets via IP, so I had them and several other accounts detected within seconds and a few clicks.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2016, 07:24:02 am »
I'm curious about how one detects sockpuppets. My first thought is by checking IP addresses used by suspicious posters, but that seems like anyone with any sense would use a proxy or whatever to change IPs between accounts.

If they had any sense they wouldn't be creating sockpuppet accounts.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2016, 10:33:48 am »
I'm curious about how one detects sockpuppets. My first thought is by checking IP addresses used by suspicious posters, but that seems like anyone with any sense would use a proxy or whatever to change IPs between accounts.

If they had any sense they wouldn't be creating sockpuppet accounts.

If they had any sense they would get the basics right and put a decent power supply board in a £500 200MHz scope so that I don't end up with a pile of scrap after only a few hours of use. I'll never tough OWON again, they are just a bunch of low lifes. Good equipment gets you a good reputation and no need for underhand tactics to promote their garbadge!

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2016, 10:45:14 am »
Frankly speaking Owon products are not that bad, probably its a personal feeling -- my first scope was an Owon, and despite it has no use to me, I still keep it till this day.
I have never used any "modern" Owon scopes, but the traditional 8 bit, no-BS-features SDS7102 served me really well through my college era. For $270, a 100MHz, 1Gsps, 10Mpts scope is a steal, though it lacks DPO, MSO, decoding and other features, nor it has any really useful FFT resolution.
Their product of same engine but headless, VDS3102L, is not that bug-free. It has some bugs in UI, and its deep memory mode sometimes freezes the UI, let along the lethal ethernet isolation design.

*I have no affiliation with Owon in any forms beside being a happy customer of SDS7102.

you must be a lucky one as i beleive mine was of the same line but the 200MHz version. It also has terrible aliasing, I only keep it because I have no choice in that it is worthless now that is is powered off an old mains brick supply and at least it's sort of 200MHz so might come in handy when my rigols 100MHz is not enough.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2016, 10:58:48 am »
Well it's not an everyday scope if the power supply board blows up after about 40 hours use. It's not a rare use machine because it can do 200MHz so say I was doing some FM trasmitter or something it might be useful.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2016, 01:11:18 pm »
Well it's not an everyday scope if the power supply board blows up after about 40 hours use. It's not a rare use machine because it can do 200MHz so say I was doing some FM trasmitter or something it might be useful.

I have seen Agilent what blow up after 15 minutes.

I have seen HP what have lasted least 50000 hour and more, I have one Tektronics, hours counter is far over 60000 hour and not any kind of problem never. I have Owon what have been randomly and frequently years in use and also one experiment over 4000 hours continuously (exept one short break in power distribution) perhaps total now least over 6-7000h.

I know many Agilent spectrum what have been in use least over 40000 hours in industry product test lines - and in really hard use. But still some individual new units may fails very fast.

I have sold previously 3 digit number of Owon SDS7102 scopes and there have been 2 failure what I know. And fails have been guite soon after sold. After warranty repaired also these no failures. 

I wonder why your scope was not immediately repaired just as normal failure what for there is factory warranty. And more, even after warranty time also repairable, just purchase spare part from Owon. Just as with all other brand equipments. But of course negative advertisements support this forum media business.

Reliability can not classifify at all with one single individual case. Yoy have one individual single unit. I have statistics from group of units and over years time span.

All can fail and Owon is not any kind exeption there. Do they fail more frequently than some others. I do not know but what experience I have personally this I can say. I have not seen they are more or less reliable than others if I do not count experience with Hantek. These I stop because Finland is small country and I want walk here on the street without shame what I have sold.

So I really wonder why your unit is not warranty time repaired.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2016, 02:52:09 pm »
I haven't a clue what you are on about. I bought it off ebay from china so likely no warranty and i needed it that night to work on a customers project so had to void warranty and jury rig it in an hour so that I could continue with my business.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2016, 06:31:38 pm »
I haven't a clue what you are on about. I bought it off ebay from china so likely no warranty and i needed it that night to work on a customers project so had to void warranty and jury rig it in an hour so that I could continue with my business.

Chinese warranty - you pack it, pay for shipping to them, pay them to fix it, pay return shipping.  This was my experience with a Chinese warranty.   Moral of the story - do not buy new test equipment off of Amazon or Ebay that ships from China.  If you want a warranty - buy in the country you live in.

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2016, 06:35:18 pm »
correct

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2016, 06:39:45 pm »
That power supply story is getting really old. Blueskull's scope, like mine, is a USB one, it doesn't have a mains power supply.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2016, 06:56:23 pm »
That power supply story is getting really old. Blueskull's scope, like mine, is a USB one, it doesn't have a mains power supply.

£500 burns you for a long time....... I don't care how old it is, it will forever forge my opiniion of owon, either they are too fucking stupid to get evn a basic power supply right or they pear everything down to such a thin bone it's a big risk buying their kit. Their actions on this board speak volumes too. Bunch of amateurs, would never trust them.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2016, 07:06:20 pm »

£500 burns you for a long time....... I don't care how old it is, it will forever forge my opiniion of owon, either they are too fucking stupid to get evn a basic power supply right or they pear everything down to such a thin bone it's a big risk buying their kit. Their actions on this board speak volumes too. Bunch of amateurs, would never trust them.
Perhaps but you didn't even try to send it in for a repair!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2016, 07:07:41 pm »

No because as I said I had to fix it there and then which voided warranty plus I did not have the details of the seller to hand assuming they were still trading. As someone else said, never buy from china.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2016, 07:13:36 pm »

Sigh. There you go again.

Just because you had an infant mortality failure on one scope is no reason to trash an entire product line. You're a mod and people might be more likely to take your word as gospel (not me, as you've probably gathered). So you spent £500 on ebay, your choice, your risk. Please stop crying about it, it's embarrassing.

What we need is competition, someone's got to keep Rigol on their toes, it doesn't look like it's going to be Hantek, no idea about Siglent. If there's no competition then the market (and prices) will stagnate.

I'm no Owon apologist or sock puppet, what they did was F**** stupid and has set their cause back a long way. However one power supply failure isn't sufficient cause to expect the whole community to write off an entire product line.
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: gmb42

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2016, 07:14:35 pm »
No because as I said I had to fix it there and then which voided warranty plus I did not have the details of the seller to hand assuming they were still trading. As someone else said, never buy from china.
IMHO your conclusion is totally twisted!
You needed it fixed quickly but if you would have send it to a local dealer it would probably have taken at least a week to get it fixed or a replacement. So buying from a local dealer or directly from China would not have made any difference in your specific case. The moral of your story should be: if you have to rely on your equipment make sure you have a spare unit on hand.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2016, 07:17:37 pm »
yes and now I have a spare. I have had two rigols so far and both had no problems. Owon is a lower quality machine, I'm sure we can at least agree on that. The aliasing is also terrible, the sort of thing you get on a velman hand held thing for 100 bucks not a £500 machine. I bought mine a year after Dave reveiwed it (so was warned) and that should have been long enough to sort their shit out.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf