Author Topic: Confused about multimeters  (Read 17003 times)

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
Re: Confused about multimeters
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2017, 04:30:47 am »
Is the manual different for the GS marked 61E? 

Thanks for the Tektronix link.  It's a little strange as I doubt most of the meters I see would meet both.   

Of these, the ESD immunity is probably of the most interest to the average DMM user since it assures that static zaps of this frequently handled instrument won't kill it. The normal testing is for protection to 8 kV. Testing to 15 kV is better yet since this is a realistic value that may be encountered on a dry day at an indoor location.

I may have to start over.... :-DD   

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2017, 05:56:26 am »
Is the manual different for the GS marked 61E? 

Thanks for the Tektronix link.  It's a little strange as I doubt most of the meters I see would meet both.   

Of these, the ESD immunity is probably of the most interest to the average DMM user since it assures that static zaps of this frequently handled instrument won't kill it. The normal testing is for protection to 8 kV. Testing to 15 kV is better yet since this is a realistic value that may be encountered on a dry day at an indoor location.

I may have to start over.... :-DD   

I enjoy your videos, by the way, and I like what you've done to your modified UT61E!

Incidentally, have you seen the updated EMC immunity requirements in relation to EN61326-1:2013?

EN 61326-1: 2013 Replacing 2006 Version for EMC Directive Evaluation of Lab, Test & Measurement Equipment

For manufacturers selling scientific, test and measurement equipment in Europe, EMC emissions and immunity requirements defined in EN 61326-1 are changing.  Effective August 14, 2015, the 2006 version of this standard will be withdrawn and can no longer be used to meet the essential requirements of the EMC Directive.  From then on, EN 61326-1: 2013 will be in effect.  The 2013 version is identical to IEC 61326-1, Ed. 2.0 (2012-07).

Immunity
EN 61326-1 defines the immunity environments for different locations: Basic, Industrial, Controlled Electromagnetic (EM) and Portable Test and Measurement (in Annex A).

For immunity in ‘Basic’ environments, here are the changes in the 2013 version:

61000-4-2 – The ESD requirement for air discharge is now +/- 8kV, up from +/- 4kV
61000-4-8 – A power frequency H-field requirement of 3 A/m for both 50 & 60 Hz has been added. This only applies to “magnetically sensitive equipment.”

For ‘Portable Test and Measurement Equipment,’ as in Basic environments, there is a new power frequency H-field requirement of 3 A/m specified in 61000-4-8.

There is also an important change in Performance Criteria.  For Performance Criteria A and B, the 2013 version added new “permissible loss of performance” verbiage which allows for a pass despite immunity test failure, provided the manufacturer defines this in their product or user’s manual.

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2017, 12:21:45 pm »
I enjoy your videos, by the way, and I like what you've done to your modified UT61E!

Incidentally, have you seen the updated EMC immunity requirements in relation to EN61326-1:2013?

I'm glad you enjoy the videos.   

In the UT181A Part 2 video where I talked about ESD and also in my more recent posts I reference the 2013 standard.  Keep in mind that the 8KV from four was for an air discharge, not the direct contact I plan on running.  For this we are still at 4KV.  Which is why the new gun outputs 4KV.   

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2017, 08:00:06 pm »
Here's a 600V version: EDIT: Hang one, that doesn't look like 22000 counts??? Not enough digits? And the bar graph goes up to "40"?? That looks like a 4000 count meter. Odd, it's marked UT61E though. And the screen has 22000 count printed on it. Whaa?

That screen, compared to this:

I'm very confused by that now. What's going on. There isn't room on the screen of that Euro meter to fit a fifth character, so what's going on?

No need to panic. The top image was probably a pre-production mockup that used a lower-count model meter (e.g., UT61D) and had its badging changed to represent the E model. In any case, it's a doctored image by someone who doesn't understand what 22000 counts should look like.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline JacobPTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2017, 01:39:17 am »
So, I settled on the UT61E and a set of Probe Master leads. I'm really happy with it; it has made working with the Adruino much more enjoyable. I know that I'll probably need an upgrade someday, but I weighed the cost and my needs.

I really, really appreciate all of the advice I've gotten in this thread. Thank you all so much!

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2017, 01:45:33 am »
Good for you, I'm sure it will serve you well.  :clap:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: JacobP

Offline JacobPTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2017, 04:31:54 am »
Of course, now I find that I also want an oscilloscope. :-)

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2017, 04:33:35 am »
Of course, now I find that I also want an oscilloscope. :-)

And so it begins....

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2017, 06:40:38 am »
Congrats on your new DMM and first Arduino circuit with it.

A scope, eh? Plenty for you to read about here.  ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2017, 03:04:33 pm »
JacobP, congratulations on your purchase. If you ever see the need for a second multimeter (to measure multiple voltages or Volts X Ampères), I can vouch for the super cheap but incredibly well built UT-136C. There is a thread that discusses it here.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf