Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2053724 times)

Offline netdudeuk

• Frequent Contributor

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline DavidA

• Contributor
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #3952 on: August 21, 2017, 03:11:07 am »
Just wanted to share that the DSER 'hack' works on a brand new (August 2017) model of the DS1054Z, shipped with Software Version 00.04.04.SP3 and Board Version 0.1.4, out of Australia.

After discovering that you can get more info by a rapid MENU+MENU+FORCE+MENU+Utility+System+System Info combination, I have a bit more info in case it's useful to anyone (or myself in future):

• Software Version: 00.04.04.03.02
  • Boot Version: 0.0.1.4
  • Firmware Version: 0.2.3.11
  • CPLD Version: 1.1
  • Build Date: Feb 8 2017 12:41:50 | 0 4:19 / 0 22:43
  • StartUp Cnter: 13

I also want to state that if anyone is using the telnet interface (":SYStem:OPTion:INSTall ...") to enter the code, be aware that you have to remove the hyphens from the code so that it's just one long uninterrupted sequence of numbers and digits. This may have been stated somewhere but I didn't see it, and had to discover this for myself.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 05:46:58 am by DavidA »

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3953 on: August 21, 2017, 05:14:46 am »
Congratulations on your new scope!

re the Hyphens:
It has been mentioned several times before, both in this thread and in others.

The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline DavidA

• Contributor
« Reply #3954 on: August 21, 2017, 06:18:20 am »
Thanks. On the hyphen thing, it's a big thread and I must admit I didn't read it in entirety! :)

EDIT: I moved the comment that was here, about slope triggering, to its own thread here.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 05:47:27 am by DavidA »

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope , new mainboard version
« Reply #3955 on: September 05, 2017, 07:25:29 pm »
Hi , I just observed that the mainboard of my 1054Z is different  by the ones from teardowns of Dave or Connor Wolf .
Main difference is that the footprints for FPGA and his ram for logic analyzer are missing but the footprints for connector are in place and linked directly to Spartan FPGA as shown in pictures attached
That conduct me to idea that some mods are possible (enabling logic analyzer) .
Obviously assuming  that I will surpass  LA button problem and I will managed to find what components are missing on the board .
Opinions are welcome !

« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 08:15:29 pm by skander36 »

The following users thanked this post: mbratch

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3956 on: September 05, 2017, 07:28:10 pm »
And another detailed pic from Dave's teardown .

P.S. Sorry for my English ...:) 

The following users thanked this post: mbratch

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3957 on: September 05, 2017, 07:52:10 pm »
Your first photo looks like the on you posted from Dave (EEVBlog as the board number matches).

So what are you trying to illustrate?  :-//

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3958 on: September 05, 2017, 08:11:21 pm »
The differences between the boards . First is from the scope that showed Dave , and 2 and 3 is from my scope .
I wrote in the text ...  footprints for logical analyzer ... read the post .
Thank you !

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3959 on: September 06, 2017, 04:54:19 am »
The differences between the boards . First is from the scope that showed Dave , and 2 and 3 is from my scope .
I wrote in the text ...  footprints for logical analyzer ... read the post .
Thank you !
I did, yet I'm still lost.  :-//

FWIW, I've a 1054Z that I've unlocked. I can open it up to see if there are any differences in the hardware (mine is an older unit I've had for a couple/few years or so). I've not investigated if I can add the -S hardware, but I don't expect this would be easy (if even possible). Particularly in terms of upgrading the firmware.

Regardless, I'm partial to having a separate signal generator, logic analyzer, and so on, which can be had relatively inexpensively these days.   :-+
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 05:05:04 am by nanofrog »

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #3960 on: September 06, 2017, 05:54:03 am »
It would be more interesting to know wether they fixed the design problems with the PLL circuitry.

Which board version is it supposed to be?

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3961 on: September 06, 2017, 07:42:06 am »
HI nanofrog ,
In teardown of the 1054Z you can see that there are pads (circled with red by me on Dave's pic) for one FPGA and one memory chip that serves as the interface for logic analyzer ( from connector that is already empty ).
In my version of the board as you can see in my pic , there are no more pads for IC interface but pads for connector are in their place and they leads to FPGA ( Xilinx ) . So this make me to think that they are chosen to simplify the design of the logic analyzer (mostly like by economic reasons) . This make more easy to mod this scope by adding a connector and some voltage regulators , than solder BGA components ...
The firmware is the same for 1054Z and for 1074Z Plus , so this is not a problem . Biggest problem  is finding values for the missing discrete components and  finding a way for adding a button and cutting a hole in the front mask . For the LA button are contacts on the keyboard , even with its own functional LED .
Yes , is better to have a separate logic analyzer . A clone of Saleae  cost 18 S on Ebay , but mod is justified by itself ...:)

By ,

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3962 on: September 06, 2017, 09:35:35 am »
HI nanofrog ,
In teardown of the 1054Z you can see that there are pads (circled with red by me on Dave's pic) for one FPGA and one memory chip that serves as the interface for logic analyzer ( from connector that is already empty ).
In my version of the board as you can see in my pic , there are no more pads for IC interface but pads for connector are in their place and they leads to FPGA ( Xilinx ) . So this make me to think that they are chosen to simplify the design of the logic analyzer (mostly like by economic reasons) . This make more easy to mod this scope by adding a connector and some voltage regulators , than solder BGA components ...
The firmware is the same for 1054Z and for 1074Z Plus , so this is not a problem . Biggest problem  is finding values for the missing discrete components and  finding a way for adding a button and cutting a hole in the front mask . For the LA button are contacts on the keyboard , even with its own functional LED .
Yes , is better to have a separate logic analyzer . A clone of Saleae  cost 18 S on Ebay , but mod is justified by itself ...:)

By ,
You're just absolutely determined to make me open mine up and check out the internals aren't you....  :o  :P

FWIW, I'm a fan of separate instruments, even if it requires a computer to keep them within the budget/s I set (the fact I've multiple monitors doesn't hurt either  >:D *). For example, what I've seen of Saleae Logic Analyzers, I'd have no problem using my computer to see the device's output (granted, there's cheaper units, but Saleae's software seems well worth the extra cost).

* Additional monitors and arms to keep them off the bench surface are reasonably priced these days IME.

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3963 on: September 06, 2017, 10:55:19 am »
The difference between boards is puzzling. While an LA might be possible without the second FPGA, I wonder where do they store the LA samples, because the additional RAM chip is missing too.

skander36, can you connect some wires, then "press" the missing LA button under CH4, and see if your oscilloscope enters into Logic Analyzer mode? If yes, then it would be interesting to wire one or two lines from the LA connector pads to outside of the oscilloscope's case and test if it really works as an LA.

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3964 on: September 06, 2017, 12:50:09 pm »
Yes , but why do they keep the pads for connector of LA  onboard , and with link to FPGA if they not intended to use it ?
It is clearly a redesign of the board . If they do that , why do not completely eliminate pads for LA connector ?

I will try to verify that LA mode can be activated .
This is the first useful post , because you suggest me first thing that I was supposed to do .
Thanks ! 

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3965 on: September 06, 2017, 02:21:54 pm »
The difference between boards is puzzling. While an LA might be possible without the second FPGA, I wonder where do they store the LA samples, because the additional RAM chip is missing too.

skander36, can you connect some wires, then "press" the missing LA button under CH4, and see if your oscilloscope enters into Logic Analyzer mode? If yes, then it would be interesting to wire one or two lines from the LA connector pads to outside of the oscilloscope's case and test if it really works as an LA.

George , I was trying but without success . "Function limited" appear on screen . I guess that must activated as an option with a code like DSER or something ... because there is DS 1074Z Plus that has function "Digital Channels" upgradable , or with the resistors above the each set of jumpers  (0/1) .
Anyway there is a discussion here : https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds1074z-s-ds1104z-s-signal-generator-daughterboard/
 and a picture with a mainboard like mine
http://cimage.tianjimedia.com/uploadImages/2014/253/48LG420GN54D.jpg
. The add-on board from the picture is a 2 Ch. signal generator .
But nobody hasn't reached a final conclusion .
Bye,
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 02:26:00 pm by skander36 »

The following users thanked this post: RoGeorge

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3966 on: September 06, 2017, 05:02:53 pm »
The "Plus" version of the DS1000Z series comes with the LA connector populated but without the probes necessary to use it. It's priced between the MSO and DS non-plus models (and is only available for 70MHz+ by the looks of it). I assume they are just sharing the PCB design between the "Plus" and non-Plus models.

The LA channels disable 1 or 2 analog channels when in use, which is awful and makes the MSO pointless in my opinion, but that's how they avoided adding more RAM/FPGA resources to the Plus/MSO version!

The following users thanked this post: RoGeorge, skander36

Offline SparkyM8

« Reply #3967 on: September 06, 2017, 06:45:49 pm »
Has anyone found difficulty uninstalling options with the 00.04.04.03.02 firmware?
I don't think I am doing anything wrong but

:SYST:OPT:UNINST

does nothing over USB or LAN. No error messages and nothing returned to the PC.

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3968 on: September 06, 2017, 08:05:26 pm »
Has anyone found difficulty uninstalling options with the 00.04.04.03.02 firmware?

does *IDN? work?

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3969 on: September 06, 2017, 08:15:20 pm »
The "Plus" version of the DS1000Z series comes with the LA connector populated but without the probes necessary to use it. It's priced between the MSO and DS non-plus models (and is only available for 70MHz+ by the looks of it). I assume they are just sharing the PCB design between the "Plus" and non-Plus models.

The LA channels disable 1 or 2 analog channels when in use, which is awful and makes the MSO pointless in my opinion, but that's how they avoided adding more RAM/FPGA resources to the Plus/MSO version!

So , even if I manage to activate LA mode  , I will need logic probes RPL1116 which cost over 300 E . . .

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3970 on: September 06, 2017, 08:17:32 pm »

Case is important :
:SYSTem:OPTion:UNINSTall

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3971 on: September 06, 2017, 09:47:58 pm »

The command works fine. Just make sure there's a newline character at the end of the command string.

As metrologist said, does *IDN? report anything back?

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #3972 on: September 06, 2017, 10:03:21 pm »
Case is important :
:SYSTem:OPTion:UNINSTall

SCPI isn't case sensitive. The capitalization simply indicates to the reader which characters are required. Uppercase ones are; lowercase ones are not. For example, the following are all equivalent:

:syst:opt:uninst
:syste:opti:uninsta
:system:option:uninstall.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3973 on: September 06, 2017, 10:24:11 pm »
On my scope at SCPI prompt  this command : :SYST:OPT:UNINST    has absolutely no effect .
But this :  :SYSTem:OPTion:UNINSTall  has immediately effect .
This particular command seem to be case sensitive ... :)
The others  (like AUT instead AUTo) works .
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:31:03 pm by skander36 »

The following users thanked this post: SparkyM8

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #3974 on: September 06, 2017, 10:35:27 pm »
If so, then it's a bug (either in the firmware or the documentation).
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf