Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2039210 times)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #4000 on: September 08, 2017, 02:48:16 pm »
To answer the question from a couple of days ago, yes, the PLL jitter was fixed.

Yes, two years ago, but certain forum members still can't sleep at night thinking about it.

(and some of them don't even own a DS1054Z...)

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 03:45:55 pm by Fungus »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #4001 on: September 08, 2017, 03:59:47 pm »

Some of them do not own a Rigol DSO because their evaluations of both documentation and instrument revealed that Rigol is deceitful and makes poor quality products.

I do not need to own a DS1054Z to know that it is a poorly designed and low quality instrument.  That flawed PLL design should have been caught by quality control.  So should the likely hook problem reported in another discussion recently.

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #4002 on: September 08, 2017, 04:42:40 pm »
I do not need to own a DS1054Z to know that it is a poorly designed and low quality instrument.

Not going to pick sides here, but in my book value for money is still impressive, looking at Rigol from the perspective of electronics enthusiasts / tinkerers.
No one will be arguing about the fact, that professional electronics engineers might be better of spending at least an order of magnitude more on a scope. Just like you would pick a reliable Agilent / Fluke / HP / ... multimeter over a Uni-T one (even if the latter also provides incredible value for money). Professionals have a totally different scope of tool requirements *seewhatIdidthere?*

So...
What was your point again?
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4003 on: September 08, 2017, 05:00:57 pm »
Some of them do not own a Rigol DSO because their evaluations of both documentation and instrument revealed that Rigol is deceitful and makes poor quality products.

I do not need to own a DS1054Z to know that it is a poorly designed and low quality instrument.  That flawed PLL design should have been caught by quality control.  So should the likely hook problem reported in another discussion recently.

Again, it was not a PLL design issue, it was a software bug, and it was fixed.

From my experience, DS1054Z is not low quality at all, and considering its features and specs, and the fact that all its software upgrades can be unlocked for free, it's a great tool. In fact, it is so good that even today, at 3 years after it was launched, it is still unbeatable for its price. There is no real competitor for it.

Yes, sometimes there are bugs, but most of them were just corner cases, nothing that will make the whole oscilloscope unusable. All complex instruments have bugs, because all of them are, after all, software driven. Even the very expensive ones from the biggest manufacturers have bugs. And yes, I worked at the office with oscilloscopes 10-100 times more expensive then DS1054Z, and they are definitely not 10-100 times better then a DS1054Z, they are better, but not a big difference, they are almost the same.

Anyway, everyone is entitled to have an opinion, and mine it is that Rigol is not deceitful. On the contrary, they are making good instruments at an unexpectedly low price.

In my experience, DS1054Z served me well for 2 years, it's a keep, and if it would be to buy today a $400 scope, then I will buy it again, without any hesitation.

The following users thanked this post: Fungus, Gabri74, Synthtech

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4004 on: September 08, 2017, 05:02:49 pm »
I do not need to own a DS1054Z to know that it is a poorly designed and low quality instrument.

So? It's still amazing value for money and a really useful thing to own. You want better? Spend more money.

The thing I don't get is the need to come in here and bash the DS1054Z over a bug that was completely fixed two years ago.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 05:07:03 pm by Fungus »

The following users thanked this post: tooki, Jacon

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4005 on: September 08, 2017, 05:08:53 pm »
Anyway, everyone is entitled to have an opinion, and mine it is that Rigol is not deceitful.

Deceitful would be (for example): Posting a link to Dave's video showing the PLL problem but not posting the followup video that showed it was completely fixed a couple of weeks later by a firmware update.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 05:21:07 pm by Fungus »

The following users thanked this post: tooki, luma

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #4006 on: September 08, 2017, 07:21:12 pm »
Again, it was not a PLL design issue, it was a software bug, and it was fixed.

And it was missed by quality control or rather the lack of it.  That is a repeating issue with Rigol and not with minor problems.

Anyway, everyone is entitled to have an opinion, and mine it is that Rigol is not deceitful.

Rigol deliberately manged various industry standard terms to make it seem that their DSOs support functions that they do not have.  They lied, repeatedly.  When I first found this in their documentation during evaluation of their DS1000A and DS1000E, I did not believe it and thought maybe it was a translation problem so I contacted their customer support and they unequivocally lied to me as well.  They continue to do so.

Yes, sometimes there are bugs, but most of them were just corner cases, nothing that will make the whole oscilloscope unusable.

The problem for me is that I would want to buy a new DSO for capabilities that my existing instruments lack.  When those capabilities are broken whether they are "corner cases" or not, then the new DSO has no advantage over the old one.  For example in this case, the new DSO cannot even do thing my old analog oscilloscopes can do like make RMS noise measurements.

So great, arguably none of these problems make the oscilloscope unusable but they also defeat many of the reasons to consider it an upgrade.

All complex instruments have bugs, because all of them are, after all, software driven. Even the very expensive ones from the biggest manufacturers have bugs.

My standard for quality is not based on other companies also making poor products.

So? It's still amazing value for money and a really useful thing to own. You want better? Spend more money.

Have I said otherwise?  It is a great value for the money even with its warts.  I spent less for better however I knew exactly what would be sufficient for my needs.

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4007 on: September 08, 2017, 07:21:19 pm »

Some of them [forum member] do not own a Rigol DSO because their evaluations of both documentation and instrument revealed that Rigol is deceitful and makes poor quality products.

I think that is an unfair caricature of Rigol. I do not consider the DS1054Z and its documentation to be top notch, but it's not as poorly designed and low quality to ascribe them the reputation of being deceitful either. Surely you must have some other basis?

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4008 on: September 08, 2017, 07:48:56 pm »
It is a great value for the money even with its warts.  I spent less for better however I knew exactly what would be sufficient for my needs.

I'm curious for what you spent less and how it excels too. Maybe I made a mistake? To a lesser extent, I'm also curious to know what they "manged" and lied about, specifically. It seems to me that the big three dance around this just the same, but maybe not to some blatant extent. It's all about specsmanship and who can get away with what. Is that not well known? Anyway, that does not seem specific to the DS1054Z.

In my case, specific things like RMS noise measurements was not the litmus test. I was upgrading from a nice Tek that I was perfectly happy with, but no longer even turns on. I do not know where it excels in performance otherwise, but I'd be interested to know. What do I have, I think a 2430A? I still would like to fix it, too... Maybe that would convince me to dump my Rigol into the sea.

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4009 on: September 08, 2017, 11:47:38 pm »
It would be more interesting to know wether they fixed the design problems with the PLL circuitry.

Why, what problem is it causing?
A few but Fungus doesn't really want to answer this fully.

Members MarkL and Bud are those that narrowed it down to design problems with the PLL and then Dave did a vid on it.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-683-rigol-ds1000z-ds2000-oscilloscope-jitter-problems/

Then Bud started looking hard at his own DS2000A, which he documented in full:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/project-yaigol-fixing-rigol-scope-design-problems/

So yes, if there is a new revision MB it will be interesting to see if these things have been addressed,

Again, what problem is the hardware PLL issue causing? I've still never seen anyone show any negative affect because of it (not jitter, that was fixed with a firmware update before yaigol). So what are these few problems you are referring to?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4010 on: September 09, 2017, 03:39:30 am »
It would be more interesting to know wether they fixed the design problems with the PLL circuitry.

Why, what problem is it causing?
A few but Fungus doesn't really want to answer this fully.

Members MarkL and Bud are those that narrowed it down to design problems with the PLL and then Dave did a vid on it.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-683-rigol-ds1000z-ds2000-oscilloscope-jitter-problems/

Then Bud started looking hard at his own DS2000A, which he documented in full:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/project-yaigol-fixing-rigol-scope-design-problems/

So yes, if there is a new revision MB it will be interesting to see if these things have been addressed,

Again, what problem is the hardware PLL issue causing?
The component values and ADC settings prevented the PLL from locking.
If there indeed been MB changes that would be good to know as member borjam questions, as do I.
I've still never seen anyone show any negative affect because of it (not jitter, that was fixed with a firmware update before yaigol).
Yes, fixed by masking with firmware of the PLL design errors. Not all scopes were affected to the same level, such is the minor differences in component batch values:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-683-rigol-ds1000z-ds2000-oscilloscope-jitter-problems/msg566538/#msg566538
Another that MarkL had a look at:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-683-rigol-ds1000z-ds2000-oscilloscope-jitter-problems/msg583676/#msg583676

Bud's short summary:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-683-rigol-ds1000z-ds2000-oscilloscope-jitter-problems/msg577669/#msg577669

Daves screenshots of before and after firmware:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-683-rigol-ds1000z-ds2000-oscilloscope-jitter-problems/msg578859/#msg578859

I've been following these issues for some years and I'm still not convinced the design is "beyond measure" but if there has been a HW change and if indeed PLL component values are what they should be then we know the product has been improved.

So rather than keep pointing fingers, somebody open the latest unit and have a look.
For reference, pics of the ADC and PLL componentry:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-683-rigol-ds1000z-ds2000-oscilloscope-jitter-problems/msg553418/#msg553418

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4011 on: September 09, 2017, 06:29:19 am »
Yes, fixed by masking with firmware of the PLL design errors.

Fixed by configuring the PLL parameters such that it runs stably with the original component values. What's wrong with that? Why would you call that "masking errors"?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-683-rigol-ds1000z-ds2000-oscilloscope-jitter-problems/msg578859/#msg578859

The side bands are 70dB down with the new PLL configuration. Looks good to me.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4012 on: September 09, 2017, 10:26:15 am »
Yes, fixed by masking with firmware of the PLL design errors.

Fixed by configuring the PLL parameters such that it runs stably with the original component values. What's wrong with that?

It's a bodge.
Read all the jitter thread and tell us what has been done to get the ADC to meet the manufacturer's design spec.
To make the PLL work with the HW so that the fundamental frequency was dominant there are only a few things that can be changed, reference frequencies and oscillator supply current.
Buds posts explain this in depth.

Why would you call that "masking errors"?
I didn't.
What I said was the PLL design errors were masked with the new firmware.

The side bands are 70dB down with the new PLL configuration. Looks good to me.

It might, but the evidence presented by Bud shows the PLL is still not locked as it should be if the design had followed the ADC datasheet.
Again, read Buds posts.

Hopefully someone will do some tests/checks to see if this latest MB PCB has been revised.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4013 on: September 09, 2017, 11:17:14 am »
So rather than keep pointing fingers, somebody open the latest unit and have a look.
For reference, pics of the ADC and PLL componentry:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-683-rigol-ds1000z-ds2000-oscilloscope-jitter-problems/msg553418/#msg553418

DS1054Z
Mainboard V01.04_20141024
HW Version V[654][32].[10]

Looks exactly like in the pictures cited above. Same chip, same layout.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4014 on: September 09, 2017, 12:05:46 pm »
I've been following these issues for some years and I'm still not convinced the design is "beyond measure" but if there has been a HW change and if indeed PLL component values are what they should be then we know the product has been improved.

a) In what way could changing the PLL improve anything? What problems is the current PLL causing?

b) At this stage of the product life cycle I'd expect any hardware changes to be with an eye on reducing costs, not on improving anything.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4015 on: September 09, 2017, 12:28:02 pm »

Oh puh-leez. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. But it is clearly better than nothing, which is exactly what the alternative would have been for me. Unlike USA, there is practically no used test gear market here, so since my budget didn't allow for a big-name scope, it was the rigol or nothing. And so far, I haven't really run into something the rigol really failed at where a better one would have worked. So all in all, my learning has been huge thanks to it. And heck, learning to know the limitations of equipment is also a really important lesson.

The following users thanked this post: Fungus, Jacon

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #4016 on: October 10, 2017, 01:05:49 am »
For those looking to buy one, Arrow is running a special through Friday - $50 off $200 or more AND Free Overnight shipping to the Continental US with promo code FIFTY. You can see in the ScreenCap below that all of the RIGOL stock appears to be eligible. You can probably get our preferred vendor TEquipment.net to price match; I do like their service.

Cheers,

mnem
Well, whaddayou know... I CAN find my arse with both hands.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline Yannik

• Supporter
« Reply #4017 on: October 28, 2017, 08:09:38 pm »
My Scope (purchased a few days ago) came with firmware 04.04.SP3.

Is this version newer than v00.04.04.03.02?

Trying to upgrade to the publicly available v00.04.04.03.02 gives me an "Caution: An older software version detected" error and fails to update.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any information on the 04.04.SP3 firmware.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4018 on: October 28, 2017, 08:54:24 pm »
My Scope (purchased a few days ago) came with firmware 04.04.SP3.

Is this version newer than v00.04.04.03.02?

Trying to upgrade to the publicly available v00.04.04.03.02 gives me an "Caution: An older software version detected" error and fails to update.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any information on the 04.04.SP3 firmware.

v00.04.04.03.02 is displayed on the scope as 04.04.SP3.
So, you have already the most recent version.

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4019 on: October 28, 2017, 09:04:07 pm »
Yes.

To display the full System Info screen, press very rapidly in the front panel Trigger section: Menu Menu Force Menu; then Utility>System>System Info. You should then see the actual Software Version number, along with some other information that isn't displayed in the partial System Info screen.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

The following users thanked this post: trys, waveterm

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4020 on: November 05, 2017, 04:36:35 pm »
Last week I bought another DS1054Z for a students lab at our university. The scope now comes with PVP2150 probes instead of the RP2200.
The probes are all black and the 1x / 10x switch is recessed. 1x rise time is much better, RP probes have 20cm longer cables. Other than that both types seem pretty comparable and come with the same accessories.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4021 on: November 05, 2017, 06:56:44 pm »
Last week I bought another DS1054Z for a students lab at our university. The scope now comes with PVP2150 probes instead of the RP2200.
The probes are all black and the 1x / 10x switch is recessed. 1x rise time is much better, RP probes have 20cm longer cables. Other than that both types seem pretty comparable and come with the same accessories.
That change was made last year, FYI. They look comfier to use than the older ones, what do you think?

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4022 on: November 05, 2017, 08:54:03 pm »
That change was made last year, FYI. They look comfier to use than the older ones, what do you think?

Since Rigol does not really advertise these kind of changes, I did not notice, but was a little surprised when I unboxed the new scope (together with a DP832 bench power supply).
I like the recessed mode selection switch, since on the RP2200 the switches tend to have a live on their own - so that is a very welcome change in design for sure.
Regarding the overall handling I can not yet tell, because I only had time to unbox the devices and report to our purchasing department that delivery was complete. I think the 20cm shorter cables will not be an issue here, because the test bench is not that big either. Generally having longer cables is not a bad thing though :)
Wednesday I am in that lab and will have time to do the basic check-up, firmware update (if required) and am curious to take a look at the noise level of the DP832 with the new scope.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4023 on: November 05, 2017, 09:48:53 pm »
... on the RP2200 the switches tend to have a live on their own ...

Indeed; I also find that the attenuator switches on those probes move far too easily. I have removed the yellow switch caps on mine (they can easily be pried off using your favorite fingernail). I leave the probes set to 10:1 nearly all the time. In the rare instances where I need 1:1 the switch can be moved with a small screwdriver blade.

Offline petl

« Reply #4024 on: December 28, 2017, 01:01:56 pm »
Since the bug is not present in my oscilloscope, I thought that maybe I didn't used the correct settings/signals to reproduce it, so I asked for more detailed steps to reproduce.

Looking at the PLL's spectrum in the Dave's video, it seems that the PLL jitter bug was fixed (not only masked) long time ago, so no further questions. I have no intention to reproduce fixed bugs, thank you.

To answer the question from a couple of days ago, yes, the PLL jitter was fixed.

Does that mean the 500uV/div option is working fine now?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf