Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2039071 times)

Offline zbyr

• Contributor
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #4025 on: December 28, 2017, 01:06:51 pm »
No, it's totally different thing, option 500uV/div never will work fine because lack of hardware, just this scope is not capable doing it (even option 1mV/div is just zooming screen of 2mV/div).

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4026 on: December 28, 2017, 01:23:58 pm »
PLL jitter and 500uV/div are not related, so I don't understand why the quote is about PLL and the question is about 500uV.

Anyway, I have the 500uV installed, and it always worked (as far as I can remember). The only problem with it was that if you don't recalibrate after installing the 500uV/div option, then the trace can have a big offset on the screen.

Even if theoretically the 500uV option kind of "works", the analog front end in DS1054Z is very noisy. For 500uV/div with no probes attached I have a noise of about 2-3 divisions pk-pk depending on what channel I am looking at, so it's almost unusable.

If you need an oscilloscope for small signals, then the DS1054Z is not the right tool.

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4027 on: December 28, 2017, 03:54:46 pm »
Anyway, I have the 500uV installed, and it always worked (as far as I can remember). The only problem with it was that if you don't recalibrate after installing the 500uV/div option, then the trace can have a big offset on the screen.
I do not believe that the 500 uV/div setting is part of the calibration process. If it works for you, consider yourself lucky the cal settings work for you. For most the sweep is off the screen.

Offline cogliostro

« Reply #4028 on: December 30, 2017, 07:04:26 pm »
Just wanted to say Thanks to the guy / guys who have created the Rigol Unlock Tool  :-+

Offline mavu

• Contributor
« Reply #4029 on: January 01, 2018, 02:41:51 pm »
Hi

Quick question:

This is my first digital scope, and on my analog one, I could just look at all the buttons and knobs, and know my settings.
On this, I have to remember that I set some offset, or trigger on CH3 or something and hunt for it before I can actually use it.

Is there a button/option somewhere in those menus that "reset" my capture settings to some sane default?

Offline Daruosha

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4030 on: January 01, 2018, 02:51:22 pm »
RTFM, anyhow. Push "Storage" button and select 'default' from the menu. 

Hi

Quick question:

This is my first digital scope, and on my analog one, I could just look at all the buttons and knobs, and know my settings.
On this, I have to remember that I set some offset, or trigger on CH3 or something and hunt for it before I can actually use it.

Is there a button/option somewhere in those menus that "reset" my capture settings to some sane default?

Offline Chris56000

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4031 on: January 01, 2018, 04:10:46 pm »
Hi!

Just out of interest, how much work has been done into reversing the Rigol 1054 schematics? - I know Dave has a video showing how he did it for one vertical channel of part of the acquitision PCB, which I've seen, but did anyone go beyond that?

I'd be much more keen on putting £100 a month aside towards one if there's schematic-help in exsistence!

Chris Williams

It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #4032 on: January 01, 2018, 04:23:29 pm »
Hi!

Just out of interest, how much work has been done into reversing the Rigol 1054 schematics? - I know Dave has a video showing how he did it for one vertical channel of part of the acquitision PCB, which I've seen, but did anyone go beyond that?

I'd be much more keen on putting £100 a month aside towards one if there's schematic-help in exsistence!

Chris Williams

Not exactly schematic reverse engineer though, but a fully firmware "REWRITE" project.

The author posted a thread -> https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/rigol-ds10xxz-firmware-re-write/

and he is also pledging a hardware donation or maybe even funding  :-// (not sure) in order to continue his work ..

-> https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/wtb-broken-rigol-ds10xxz-scopemainboard/

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4033 on: January 01, 2018, 04:28:45 pm »

There's not really much point in going further than that. Once the signal arrives at the ADC it's all about software.

I guess you could do the power supply, but... there's not really much to see there either. :-//

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #4034 on: January 01, 2018, 04:35:46 pm »
I guess you could do the power supply, but... there's not really much to see there either. :-//

Actually, I've been dreaming to replace the whole power supply module space which is quite big, with self contained rechargeable Li-Ion cells to make it fully portable with charging circuit in it too.

Not sure if this is even possible and for sure beyond my kung-fu level.  :-//

I'm aware there is another diy project here in this forum that did powering this scope using batteries, but by slapping and sort of duct taped bunch of Li-Ion cells at the rear the scope, which is butt ugly less appealing at least to me.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 04:43:37 pm by BravoV »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4035 on: January 01, 2018, 04:46:44 pm »

Actually, I've been dreaming to replace the whole power supply module space which is quite big, with self contained rechargeable Li-Ion cells to make it full portable with charging circuit in it too.

Not sure if this is even possible. But this is beyond my kung-fu level.  :-//

It shouldn't be difficult, it's just a DC power supply that outputs 5V, 12V (or whatever).

You don't need a schematic to figure it out, just grab a multimeter and have a poke at wires that go from the PSU to the PCB.

It's not a high power device. A few 18650 batteries with suitable DC converters ought to be able to do it, just make sure you have enough amps on each DC voltage (ie. measure with a decent multimeter that has min/max mode, add a safety factor, be sure to look closely at powerup current, current when writing to USB sticks, etc).

Some people have added external batteries: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/battery-pack-for-rigol-ds1054z/
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 04:49:38 pm by Fungus »

Online metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4036 on: January 03, 2018, 08:42:23 pm »
Hi

You can also save and recall custom setups. See Chapter 14 and the Storage menu.

Offline Charlie86

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4037 on: January 07, 2018, 01:26:30 pm »
What is default password for Rigol DS1054Z in web GUI and what is best software to manage it via PC/MAC?

Thank you

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4038 on: January 07, 2018, 03:49:00 pm »
What is default password for Rigol DS1054Z in web GUI and what is best software to manage it via PC/MAC?

I never used the web gui of the scope. Try rigollan/111111. Have a look here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-rigol-ds1054z-oscilloscope/msg1110174/#msg1110174

For software have a look here: https://www.teuniz.net/DSRemote/

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Charlie86

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4039 on: January 08, 2018, 06:09:37 pm »
I try to login but with out success. Is there any other user pass combination? Oscilloscope is brand new and did not change any setting/passwords.

Thank you for linked software.

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #4040 on: January 09, 2018, 12:10:24 am »
Where exactly do you try to login? The web interface (http on port 80) does not require a login.
I could not find working credentials to access the »Networks Settings« page ./DS1000Z_NetworkSettings.html though.
The default password on the »Security« site ./DS1000Z_Security.html seems to be 111111 - You can set a new password, but I do not know what it is used for.

These ports are open on the device by default:

Open TCP Port:    80           http
    Open TCP Port:    111          sunrpc
    Open TCP Port:    617          sco-dtmgr
    Open TCP Port:    618          dei-icda
    Open TCP Port:    619          compaq-evm
    Open TCP Port:    5555         personal-agent

The »Network Settings« login window reads:
Code: [Select]
The site says: “SunZhe”I could not find any further reference in the documentation or the FAQs.

These credentials are mentioned on various places:

user:    password: 111111
user: rigollan password: 111111
user: test password: 111111

I am not sure about »rigollan« as a valid user name though. It is buried in the firmware file together with the 111111 password, but my guess would be that it is simply the host name and not the user for LXI credentials.

Getting access to that site is mostly for reasons of curiosity, because all the settings can be altered on the device directly through Utility -> IO Setting -> LAN Conf.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 03:31:47 am by frozenfrogz »
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

The following users thanked this post: kamran

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4041 on: February 17, 2018, 08:36:36 pm »
I've just ordered a DS1054Z-B from Tequipment.net, is there something different about the '-B' version or is it just the latest hardware?
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline lundmar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4042 on: February 17, 2018, 08:50:58 pm »

Thank you

You could give lxi-tools a try - works perfectly fine with the DS1054Z.

http://lxi-tools.github.io
https://lxi-tools.github.io - Open source LXI tools
https://tio.github.io - A simple serial device I/O tool

Offline rob040

• Contributor
« Reply #4043 on: February 17, 2018, 09:20:16 pm »
I've just ordered a DS1054Z-B from Tequipment.net, is there something different about the '-B' version or is it just the latest hardware?
It can be a refurbished instrument. That means a lower price than usual. But the supplier has to mention that it is a refurbished one and not a brand new one. Didn't you notice such an announcement? And was it the usual price or not?

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #4044 on: February 17, 2018, 09:30:42 pm »
At Tequipment the -B seems to indicate B-stock and demo units with full warranty.
It is the same device as any other 1054Z but might have been a returned unit.
For 315$ it sounds like a nice deal.
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4045 on: February 17, 2018, 09:49:59 pm »
At Tequipment the -B seems to indicate B-stock and demo units with full warranty.
It is the same device as any other 1054Z but might have been a returned unit.
For 315$ it sounds like a nice deal.

"Not all accessories may be included" according to Tequipment. If that should mean missing probes, it would not be quite such a nice deal. But you could probably still get four replacement probes at less than the price difference.

Offline maxwell3e10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4046 on: February 17, 2018, 11:23:46 pm »
I am sorry not to follow through the whole thread, but I like to get the RMS noise of 1054Z scope with shorted inputs. On another thread I compared Owon, Instek, Micsig and TEK for 50 Ohm shorted input, for 1 V/div setting and 1 mV/div setting. Would be good to add Rigol 1054Z as well as Siglent SDS1104X-E and Keysight  DSOX1000.

Offline DougM

• Contributor
« Reply #4047 on: February 18, 2018, 05:11:21 am »
This thread has grown HUGE since I last saw it.

Anyway, I was using my DS1054Z to look at a 0 to 40V 1kHz square wave I was making in a driver output stage. I increased the gain to look at the shape and noise on the low level of the square wave and found that I could only zoom in about 1 or two clicks from 10V/box before the input stage seemed to behave very very badly on saturation.

I want to look at the signal with much better resolution than 2 or 5 V/box.  Is it possible I'm doing something stupid?  I don't see what. This is very very disappointing behavior and is making me wonder if I should have just spent a bit more...
Any thoughts?
Doug

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #4048 on: February 18, 2018, 06:48:15 am »
You may want to describe the behavior more specifically and include some screen captures from the scope.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4049 on: February 18, 2018, 05:40:27 pm »
Anyway, I was using my DS1054Z to look at a 0 to 40V 1kHz square wave I was making in a driver output stage. I increased the gain to look at the shape and noise on the low level of the square wave and found that I could only zoom in about 1 or two clicks from 10V/box before the input stage seemed to behave very very badly on saturation.

I want to look at the signal with much better resolution than 2 or 5 V/box.  Is it possible I'm doing something stupid?  I don't see what. This is very very disappointing behavior and is making me wonder if I should have just spent a bit more...

I think your expectations are unreasonable.  Any 8 bit scope is going to have the same issue.

You can try reducing your test frequency so the scope has more time to recover from the overdrive.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf