Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2057487 times)

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #1575 on: July 18, 2015, 09:08:52 pm »
Feeling stupid, math channel is supported for virtually all measurements.

Old age taking its toll.

Thanks, Dana.
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #1576 on: July 28, 2015, 09:28:01 am »
I wasn't aware of the 04.03.SP1 until now. I'll have to update later today.
I wanted to share an interesting message I received and happened to capture when recording a video.
I provided the screen shot, the erro was "BW option outdated" and this came from 04.03
I was curious if I updated each option separate if it would still change the name of my DS1054Z, and it did. So worried about warranty I also wanted to know if I uninstalled all of it would go back to the original name, and it did.
But I got this error the first time I ran the syst:opt:uninst.
I had to run the command a second time to get the confirmation message in the scope LCD stating all option were uninstalled. I found it amusing that my remaining trial time came back after the uninstall.

So BW is still in what I thought was the latest firmware until I read about SP1.
Maybe some parts of it are needed for the 50Mhz to 100Mhz option to work even though they don't offer it as an option and apparently it's outdated also.
So if it's outdated does that mean maybe the scope is not really getting the 100Mhz update option when people apply it?

Im  curious so I may have to redo my steps after the 04.03.SP1 update and see if it still,shows the outdated message. Originally I was thinking if I apply individual options without the 500uV then it would keep the name the same if I didn't use the update all to generate the key. But I forgot the BW option is not officially offered and I think that's why the name changed.

Is it recommended to remove options before doing a firmware update and then apply them after the update, or can the firmware update be ran even with a non officially supported option applied?
Sorry if this has been asked before, I've only had it a week and it's my first scope.
Thanks.....
Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1577 on: July 28, 2015, 09:39:52 am »
I updated to 04.03.SP1 (on an MSO1104Z-S) with all unofficial updates still installed. All went fine and the options were still there afterwards.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1578 on: July 28, 2015, 12:14:14 pm »
I wanted to share an interesting message I received and happened to capture when recording a video.
I provided the screen shot, the erro was "BW option outdated" and this came from 04.03

I can't quite make it out on the screenshot you posted, but the message seems to refer to "BT option" or "BF option", not "BW". I don't think this has anything to do with bandwidth. But I can't think of a plausible meaning for "BT" or "BF" at the moment either...

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1579 on: July 28, 2015, 12:57:11 pm »
Are they the messages for when the Trial period has ended?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline cs.dk

• Supporter
« Reply #1580 on: July 28, 2015, 01:53:15 pm »
Found 3 messages in firmware 04.03.SP1:

Record option outdated!
Decode option outdated!
BW option outdated!

Peter

I'm running 04.03.SP1, and all my options are still there.

Offline micromouse_man

• Micromouse.me.uk
« Reply #1581 on: July 28, 2015, 03:12:13 pm »
My DS1054Z had 04.03 and had no problem updating the options, I then updated to 04.03 SP1 and all seems OK, I did have the thing with the self calibration failing once but it worked on the second go, when did the error get displayed?

Online MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1582 on: July 29, 2015, 03:00:21 am »
I provided the screen shot, the erro was "BW option outdated" and this came from 04.03[\quote]
What were you doing to get the error?  Can you reproduce it and get a screen capture from the scope?
So BW is still in what I thought was the latest firmware until I read about SP1.
What did you read and where?
Maybe some parts of it are needed for the 50Mhz to 100Mhz option to work even though they don't offer it as an option and apparently it's outdated also.
So if it's outdated does that mean maybe the scope is not really getting the 100Mhz update option when people apply it?
Rigol does offer BW as an option.  You purchase the desired model:  DS1054Z, DS1074Z or DS1104Z.
It has only been in one of the latest firmware versions that bandwidth showed up on the options page.  See my original options page below.
If you want to see how the BW is implemented watch Dave's EEVblog #675 - How To Reverse Engineer A Rigol DS1054Z.  (Near the end.)
Im  curious so I may have to redo my steps after the 04.03.SP1 update and see if it still,shows the outdated message. Originally I was thinking if I apply individual options without the 500uV then it would keep the name the same if I didn't use the update all to generate the key. But I forgot the BW option is not officially offered and I think that's why the name changed.

Is it recommended to remove options before doing a firmware update and then apply them after the update, or can the firmware update be ran even with a non officially supported option applied?
I have the DS1074Z version that I added all the options except the 500uV/div.  Since then I've updated the firmware 6 times without removing any options before the updates.  I have not had problems with the self-calibration either.  However, I've only done the self-cal after using the scope for more than a hour.  I'm thinking people aren't allowing their scope to warm up long enough before doing the calibration.

Found 3 messages in firmware 04.03.SP1:

Record option outdated!
Decode option outdated!
BW option outdated!
How are you seeing these messages?

Offline seavan

« Reply #1583 on: July 29, 2015, 02:40:36 pm »
MarkF, mine shows exactly same options list plus 100MHz Official.

Online MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1584 on: July 29, 2015, 07:47:11 pm »
MarkF, mine shows exactly same options list plus 100MHz Official.
Mine shows the 100MHz option now too.  The list was expanded as part of one of the latest firmware versions.  That screenshot was from firmware version 00.02.00.SP1 in Feb 2014.

Offline tjnash

« Reply #1585 on: July 30, 2015, 09:04:50 pm »
I'd like to get a copy of the coupon code too, if available.  Could someone PM it me, please?

Thanks! Tim

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #1586 on: July 31, 2015, 01:11:53 pm »
I'd like to get a copy of the coupon code too, if available.  Could someone PM it me, please?

Thanks! Tim

PM sent
Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #1587 on: July 31, 2015, 01:20:06 pm »

Q:What were you doing to get the error?  Can you reproduce it and get a screen capture from the scope?

A:Yes, after uninstalling the options using a telnet command.
I'm not able to get a screen dump since it only flashes up on the scope screen for a second. Just like the connected to net message or USB key active message.

Q:So BW is still in what I thought was the latest firmware until I read about SP1.
What did you read and where?

A:About 70 post back in this same read. I didn't book mark it so I can't give exact page.

Note:
I did do the upgrade win options enabled, no issues I have the DS1054Z. Thanks to all that replied to that question about the upgrade.

Offline mmprestine

« Reply #1588 on: July 31, 2015, 01:55:07 pm »
Looking to place an order, could someone kindly PM the coupon code.
Regards,
Matt

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #1589 on: July 31, 2015, 02:39:04 pm »
Looking to place an order, could someone kindly PM the coupon code.
Regards,
Matt
PM sent

Offline Fennec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1590 on: July 31, 2015, 04:11:16 pm »
pls, what the heck is a "coupon code" ?

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1591 on: July 31, 2015, 04:25:32 pm »
Dear Newbies, please stop asking for the tequipment coupon code here.  When you place your order, use the tequipment chat to ask for the code.

Or, if you have to place your order at 2AM, you can try asking in the correct thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/eevblog-members-discount-at-tequipment/
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:37:40 pm by edavid »

Offline Fennec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1592 on: July 31, 2015, 04:33:41 pm »
Dear "Super Contributor"

Did u read and understand my question ? I don't think so

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1593 on: July 31, 2015, 04:37:41 pm »
Dear "Contributor"

He wasn't responding to you, obviously

But I am:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/special-price-for-eevblog-members/

Sorry couldn't help it.

Offline rolycatTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1594 on: July 31, 2015, 05:12:48 pm »
It might have been useful for both Fennec and "the newbies" to read the first post in this thread, where a number of common questions about the DS1054Z are answered. These include how to obtain the TEquipment discount.

Offline TheBloke

• Contributor
« Reply #1595 on: July 31, 2015, 06:16:38 pm »
Hi guys

First post here.  I'm very new to EE tinkering.  I recently started playing with Arduino and RasPi, and I have a couple of UNI-T devices (UT61E DMM and their UT325 thermocouple logger).

I just bought my first ever scope, the DS1054Z.  I should get it tomorrow (paid extra for Saturday delivery!)

But I've just realised I might have possibly made a bit of a mistake.  I really wanted a 'PC' scope, ie one I could control from the PC.  A lot of the sampling I will do will need to end up as PC screenshots, and anyway I'm a software/developer type guy - I'm most comfortable on the computer by far.

I thought I knew what the UltraScope software looked like, because I watched this video showing UltraScope, from Rigol UK:

But I've now realised that that software is only for E, B, CA and D scopes. Not Z!   Z has different software, and after I scanned through Dave's full YouTube review (which I'd not yet seen fully) and right at the end he goes on a massive tirade about how the PC software 'sucks arse' etc :)   Seems like it has no remote front panel capability for example, and lots of annoyances.

So maybe I should have researched a bit better :)  Though the DS1054Z was already way more than I had planned to spend on a scope (I originally thought I might buy one of those £50 Chinese USB scopes, until I read more about them on EEVBlog.  Then I thought about the PicoScopes, but the DS1054Z seemed so overwhelmingly better in all respects I thought I should stretch my money and get that.  Anyway, my point is that probably there isn't a scope that I could have bought for £280 or less that would be way better for PC connectivity than the DS1054Z?  And if it was it definitely wouldn't have all the features of the DS1054Z.

Anyway, I've bought it now.  So my main question is - do Dave's comments from the January review still apply, or have there been any updates to UltraScope for the DS1054Z in the meantime?  Maybe it's a bit better now?  Does it provide remote front panel access, like I saw the software for the E, B, CA and D scopes?

Secondly, what third party software is available?  I did already see in this thread (or maybe another one) some software that could do long duration wave capture or something similar. 

Could anyone be so kind as to let me know if there's any other software I should know about for the DS1054Z?  Anything I should definitely use as well as/instead of Ultrascope?

I don't mind if I connect via USB or LAN, either is possible for me. 

I'm sure this is answered in many places - I have done some searching and reading but it's quite hard to find it in this huge thread so I hoped maybe someone could quickly point me in the right direction

Thanks in advance!

PS. Once I get it I will definitely be attempting the FW hacks/upgrades to get 100mhz and hopefully unlock other features as well.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 06:52:42 pm by TheBloke »

Offline TheBloke

• Contributor
« Reply #1596 on: July 31, 2015, 09:30:08 pm »
As a quick follow-up to my post, I have found two bits of third party software:

http://peter.dreisiebner.at/rigol-bildschirmkopie-lan/
https://hackaday.io/project/5807-driverless-rigol-ds1054z-screen-capture-over-lan

If there's any others that I've not been able to find and that anyone could point me to, I'd be most grateful.   Also be good to know if UltraScope for the DS1054Z is still just as bad as Dave talked about 6 months ago, or if it's improved at all.  Though I suppose I'll find out for myself tomorrow anyway :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 09:38:55 pm by TheBloke »

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1597 on: July 31, 2015, 11:01:26 pm »
@TheBloke:

For simple remote control of the scope directly, installing/uninstalling option codes etc. using SCPI commands, telnet over the LAN is the easiest way I've found. But of course you don't get a pretty picture on your computer, just easy communications with SCPI commands. 

The software here:

http://www.teuniz.net/DSRemote/

gives you a full GUI with controls, and live waveform display and is pretty fast for saving screenshots, etc. but it doesn't (yet?) have a facility for entering arbitrary SCPI commands (although it works by sending the appropriate commands to the scope).

The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1598 on: August 01, 2015, 12:27:39 am »
Hi guys

First post here.  I'm very new to EE tinkering.  I recently started playing with Arduino and RasPi, and I have a couple of UNI-T devices (UT61E DMM and their UT325 thermocouple logger).

I just bought my first ever scope, the DS1054Z.  I should get it tomorrow (paid extra for Saturday delivery!)

But I've just realised I might have possibly made a bit of a mistake.  I really wanted a 'PC' scope, ie one I could control from the PC.  A lot of the sampling I will do will need to end up as PC screenshots, and anyway I'm a software/developer type guy - I'm most comfortable on the computer by far.

UT61E is not bad despite protestations otherwise, only negative when I've used it for my use is the burden voltage, but seriously I wouldn't worry about that if you're a new EE. I don't know about the thermocouple logger.

DS1054Z, unbelievable value for money. You really don't want a PC scope. The only way to know is to try it I suppose, but apart from a really limited number of use cases, it's really difficult to justify a PC scope over a "proper" scope one you've used them. It's mostly about the immediacy of the user interface. As an allegory, consider trying to use your PC to drive your car. There's no steering wheel, the response time is lousy, you have to go into a menu to turn the indicator on, you get my drift. Taking screenshots, although useful, is secondary to any scope's main purpose. Taking screen shots is simple enough on the DS1000Z series, either on the USB stick or with software. I am not sure how a PC scope would be better in any way.

Offline TheBloke

• Contributor
« Reply #1599 on: August 01, 2015, 04:07:08 pm »
Thanks very much Howard and alsetalokin!

Howard, thanks, that all makes sense - and it's nice to have my purchase validated, of course :) 

alseta, thank you, I hadn't seen DSRemote before.  It looks excellent, with just one minor inconvenience - it looks from that page that it's Linux only at the moment?  I'm running Windows as my primary platform right now.  But I see it's written in QT, so perhaps it might compile on Windows.  At least the app part of it, not the driver - and I'd guess it wouldn't know how to interface with the Rigol driver without specific support, which it won't have unless it was targetted for Windows.  Perhaps LAN connect would work.

Has anyone heard any discussion of DSRemote being compiled and run on Windows?  If not is no big deal, I have a Raspberry Pi here, and/or I can easily set up a Linux VM.

Anyway I'm really glad to have the scope setup and am enjoying fiddling with it already-  even though I don't know a huge amount what I'm doing! :)  I did watch Dave's entire one hour feature review, as well as about 2 hours of general "How to use an oscilloscope" type YouTube videos (mostly from mjlorton)

I've already done the bandwidth hack/feature upgrade, which is awesome :)  No idea if I'll ever need 100mhz or half the features, but I can definitely imagine wanting to be able to triger/decode I2C, and the Record/Playback thing also sounds very helpful.  Anyway, regardless of whether I use them, the mere ability to get them for free makes me feel good :D

I'm going to have loads of questions but I'll try and research some myself before bombarding you all.  Thanks again for your help and all the great info on the forum!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf