Author Topic: New Score - Phillips PM 3226 Oscilloscope!!!  (Read 11856 times)

Offline aryasridharTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
New Score - Phillips PM 3226 Oscilloscope!!!
« on: July 11, 2014, 11:21:02 am »
Hello All,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post, However, I have been following Dave and his video for quiet some time now.

I recently got a used PM3226 scope here in India, works great and got it for a really nice price, my only concern is the screen, it is too dark and the division indicator on it is very dark too, here is a picture of my scope.

I plan to replace the scope with the same guy i got it from, he also has a PM3206, which has less clutter in terms of buttons and things like that and has a little larger screen, with a light blue screen of grids, which is easy to see.

Would it be a good idea to replace it? or shall i keep my 3226.

I mainly needed the scope since i make guitar effects pedals and amps, and needed it to show me the frequencies.

Also was wondering if there are any good signal generator schematics so I could make one for myself?
I would almost always need sine waves.

• Regular Contributor
Re: New Score - Phillips PM 3226 Oscilloscope!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 08:07:44 pm »
WOW......170 views, not a single reply...am i asking about a really stupid old oscilloscope?

Offline qno

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 08:18:43 pm »
Bad screen is probbably the filter in front of the screen.

They use to be blue but discolour over the years.
You can replace it if you have a blue transparant sheet and cut our own.

For the rest a nice scope.
Why spend money I don't have on things I don't need to impress people I don't like?

Offline unknowndomain

• Regular Contributor
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 10:52:58 pm »
I have a Phillips PM3217 I have the same issue the graticule is very dim, I don't know about yours but mine has a little light bulb that gets brighter when you turn the power dial up, it seems to light up the graticules... Does your's have bulbs... mine you can pull the front cover off.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 06:10:19 pm »
I was told by the person i bought from that the filter can be replaced or removed, making it a brighter scope, however I really like the PM3206 better, it has a large screen and the waveform can be read pretty easily.

I will try replacing the filter on mine.

Not sure what bulb you are talking about though, Are you talking about Intensity? If yes, I do have it on my scope.

Offline elliott

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 06:27:15 pm »
Not sure what bulb you are talking about though, Are you talking about Intensity? If yes, I do have it on my scope.
Some scopes have a bulb to illuminate the graticule, I don't see a control on yours for it though.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 06:37:08 pm »
I have plenty of Philips / Fluke PM33xx scopes and I love them and use them every day.
And I would not exchange them for any other scope on the market.

The graticule adjustment was only available on later models
Also the blue screen filter element became available on later models
You might be able to calibrate the brightness internally.

The good thing about old Philips scopes and equipment is that they last a very long
time and can be easily repaired.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 06:41:23 pm »
I have plenty of Philips / Fluke PM33xx scopes and I love them and use them every day.
And I would not exchange them for any other scope on the market.

The graticule adjustment was only available on later models
Also the blue screen filter element became available on later models
You might be able to calibrate the brightness internally.

The good thing about old Philips scopes and equipment is that they last a very long
time and can be easily repaired.

I agree, I have also known from people, Phillips uses their own manufactured parts, when compared to others who get them from other companies.

I really like the 3326, however I am not very happy with the super dark screen, I find it very hard to see the grid for any measurements.
I really like the 3206 in terms of the screen, have a nice big screen that looks great.

Infact I have both with me at the moment, a friend needed a scope too, so I could get him a 3206, he has to pick his scope up from me, which is in about a month or so, so yay I get to use both.

I am trying to get a 3206 in exchange for the 3326..would it be a bad idea to do so?
Also, is there a way to get a nice blue filter for the 3326? or any other alternative for a nice screen?

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 07:59:19 pm »
Philips not only used "philips" parts to build their high end scopes.
They also used their scopes in their TV and Audio factories on the production line.
Rumors have it, that this was the reason why Philips was ahead of all other scope
manufacturers at that time.

You can still get the blue filter screen as a new part from Fluke (At least a year ago)
This fitted the PM3370B and similar.
May be you can make it fit for the 3326.

The graticule light is very simply done with a light bulb and a small plexiglas light distributor
across the front of the CRT.

I have a scope open at the moment and can make a picture tomorrow, if you like.

and
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 04:51:02 am »
Philips not only used "philips" parts to build their high end scopes.
They also used their scopes in their TV and Audio factories on the production line.
Rumors have it, that this was the reason why Philips was ahead of all other scope
manufacturers at that time.

You can still get the blue filter screen as a new part from Fluke (At least a year ago)
This fitted the PM3370B and similar.
May be you can make it fit for the 3326.

The graticule light is very simply done with a light bulb and a small plexiglas light distributor
across the front of the CRT.

I have a scope open at the moment and can make a picture tomorrow, if you like.

and

Yes, I would like to see a picture, that would be great. Highly appreciate it!!!!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 05:54:18 am »
Here's picture of my Scope and my friend's scope.

Mine is the bottom one (3326) and his is the top one (3206)..
You can clearly see the difference in the way the display looks on each of them.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 01:14:46 pm »
Here are some pictures of the FLUKE Philips PM3390A and how they solved the light problem there.

I bought this scope broken and I am in the process of repairing it right now.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 02:28:36 pm »
Here are some pictures of the FLUKE Philips PM3390A and how they solved the light problem there.

AMAZING!!!!!! Does all oscilloscopes come with the fixed grid as on your one? only the filter needs to be changed?

Offline leppie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 02:48:50 pm »

Is that just a CD cover?  :-+

Offline elliott

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 04:46:52 pm »

AMAZING!!!!!! Does all oscilloscopes come with the fixed grid as on your one? only the filter needs to be changed?

I've seen some really old ones with the graticule on the filter, but yours should have it on the CRT. Just get a piece of blue acrylic and cut it to fit.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 05:19:10 pm »
I spoke to the guy who sold me this PM3226, he said he has a couple of other scopes that he can exchange with mine.

Philips PM3213 and a GW Instek GOS-620, I am leaning more towards the GW-Instek.

Wondering which is better though? Any inputs would be highly appreciated.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 05:35:22 pm »
I only can speak in regards to the Philips scopes as being good scopes.
I have no experience with GW Instek at all.

But, by judging the pictures that come up for the GW Instek GOS-620,
it seems this one is newer and has more options than the PM3326

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 08:11:00 pm »
OK Guys, So went ahead and gave my 3226 back to the guy I got it from and got back home with a 50Mhz, PM 3217, Dual Channel Scope...

The Time/Div and Volts/Div knobs are not original, also the screen hood was broken, so it was replaced with a nice system as can be seen in the picture. I like the overall scope much better than the 3226, the screen on that old one was horrible.
I infact had an option to go for the 3213 as well, but then I hated it, it was like the entire scope was dipped in turmeric water or something, Yellow and even the knobs were all haywire...so I just opted out of that one.

This scope is huge though, when compared to the other two....
I was also wondering if the center knob, named "cal" would be really required to run this scope successfully? or would I really need that? Also is there any place where I can get the original or spare stock knobs for it? Would highly appreciate any inputs.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:13:16 pm by aryasridhar »

Offline elliott

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 08:28:11 pm »
As long as the pots are in the Cal position then it isn't a big deal that they are missing, if they aren't then any measurement will be wrong. The delay knob is wrong too. It is usable as is, but I'd keep an eye out for proper replacements.

It looks like a better scope overall, dual timebase, add/invert, graticule illumination and more bandwidth.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 08:38:49 pm »
As long as the pots are in the Cal position then it isn't a big deal that they are missing, if they aren't then any measurement will be wrong. The delay knob is wrong too. It is usable as is, but I'd keep an eye out for proper replacements.

It looks like a better scope overall, dual timebase, add/invert, graticule illumination and more bandwidth.

Any idea where can I get the spare knobs from? I would love to replace these with the originals....

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 09:54:17 pm »
Any idea where can I get the spare knobs from? I would love to replace these with the originals....

Congratulations on a nice scope
I think the only way to get the knobs would be to buy another cheap and broken scope.
Even on the PM3394B it is getting difficult to get new parts.
So, I always keep one scope around to be used for spare parts

If you send me a closeup picture of some of the knobs missing, I can look if may be a
PM3394B knob would fit.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 04:20:42 am »

Congratulations on a nice scope
I think the only way to get the knobs would be to buy another cheap and broken scope.
Even on the PM3394B it is getting difficult to get new parts.
So, I always keep one scope around to be used for spare parts

If you send me a closeup picture of some of the knobs missing, I can look if may be a
PM3394B knob would fit.

Hey, Yeah I have to look for a broken scope for spare parts I guess. I Sure will post some HiRes pictures of the knob area.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 05:04:04 pm »
OK so I ran into some issues with the PM3217, I could not test it thoroughly last night when I picked it up.

The AC/DC Coupling switch does not work properly, I mean when i press them, these switches comes back up again, which should not happen.
The Ground Switch also has the same issue.

I spoke to the guy again (frustrated really to deal on a daily basis) and asked him of a solution, he said he can give repair this or he can sell me another 20Mhz Scope, which is a PM3213, which is a nice condition. I don't care of the knobs etc that it has, since i will replace the knobs myself with some good ones, as the knobs on it now are not stock and some are replaced.

I realize I really do not need a 50Mhz scope which is complicated to use, I would never need 50Mhz in the first place, so this was an impulsive and a hasty decision.

Can you guys please please help me figure out what to do? Should I get the PM 3213? Please advice. I know i am super confused, but my needs are a very simple scope that has a good readable screen and simple controls, 3213 fits the bill just fine. I am very much inclined to get it.

Also I could not find a user manual for the 3213, could anyone please advice on where can I find one?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 07:42:03 pm »
Please Please advice needed, I would also like to know how to re design the front panel markings like the Time/Div etc, I want to redo it, get it silk screened or something, has anyone done it before?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:45:46 pm by aryasridhar »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 02:50:57 pm »
I might sound like a nut here, but I finally decided what I want and got back the original scope, the PM3226, minus that brown filter that caused all the trouble in viewing the traces.

Here is how it looks now when compared to the first time I got it. It has no filter now. and works really like a charm.

So here's what my options were when I went in there today to make the final decision. I gave back the 3217...
Reasons for handing over the 3217:-
1) CRO hood was broken, and he had stuck a blue filter there, which also had its own grid, that did not correspond well with the internal grid, so I had to deal with two grids, which was not very convenient.
2) The AC/DC and GND Push Button Switches were not working, They would not stay pushed in on both channels.
3) The Time/Div and Volts/Div knobs were not original, and the Center "Cal" was replaced with a fixed calibration.

Reason I did not pick up the 3213 today:-
1) Super Yellow Cabinet and front panel, it was horrible. I don't think I could have ever been able to clean it up well.
2) Most knobs on it were replaced, and there was no uniformity, it felt like whatever the user found just stuck onto the pots.
3) It was expensive than the one I finally got, i.e. the PM3226.
4) The lettering/Markings on the 3213 were wiped off, it had everything written with a pen rather than the original silk screen, so that would have been another pain to fix, had it picked it up.

So overall, I am really happy now, wish i had used some common sense (which generally is not common) and replaced the filter first on the 3226.

Here are some pictures of the 3213 and the 3226 that i took this morning.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf