Author Topic: New Siglent SDS1202X-E oscilloscope based on Xilinx Zynq-7000 SoC architecture  (Read 138699 times)

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
That has a 7" screen. Wouldn't you consider it a huge step backwards?

Sure, I would, if the previous generation had come with 8", yes.
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

• Super Contributor
  • !
with 2 GS/s (per chan?). Still if it was 2GS/s shared you'd see a difference in waveform stability when looking at fast signals. Keysight is not in the same instrument class

The keysigth 1000Xs would be my choice if it were not for the (lack of) mem depth. And 2 1/2 channels, how cool is that?
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
Siglent says FFT has 1 Mpts, very curious to test it  :-+

Interesting can FFT sample rate be altered (up to 1G)? Multiple traces?
In this example I presume 100MSa/s => max 50MHz / 95Hz => 500k FFT bins. So not sure which is correct to call it 1M or 500k FFT? Until now I considered FFT "1M" if it has 1M bins (2M points).
BTW is FFT always limited to 0...XHz + "zoom window" analysis in scopes or some advanced ones allow make actual window like on real SAs? This would make having millions of points much less important. Theoretically should be possible... ?

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
with 2 GS/s (per chan?). Still if it was 2GS/s shared you'd see a difference in waveform stability when looking at fast signals. Keysight is not in the same instrument class

The keysigth 1000Xs would be my choice if it were not for the (lack of) mem depth. And 2 1/2 channels, how cool is that?

eh, i understand but i have been always able to get around using very tiny memories.. to me 1 MS is plenty. also, we have yet to see if decoding on this one is really done with full 14 MS or it's limited at 1.4 like it's predecessor. higher samplerate and faster decodes (that i'm sure they are working) are my priority. aside from things that this one doesn't have (sig gen, filter app) the keysight is still more fit to my use

but i'm looking forward to see this new siglent :) always exciting to check out new equipment

Offline pascal_swedenTopic starter

• Super Contributor
There was a new separate thread created for the SDS1202X-E oscilloscope yesterday.

Maybe it is better to keep everything under this thread, as this thread was the first thread related to this new oscilloscope from Siglent.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
Even the EDUX1000s' decoders fly, but yes that's ~ $448+$150 kopecks (+taxes?), a bit moar than a Siglent.

And 50 vs. 200 MHz bandwidth, right?
If "fast decoders" vs. "4x the bandwidth" would be the only difference, I'm pretty sure I would opt for the Siglent, even if prices were the same...

Offline simone.pignatti

• Frequent Contributor

I did this table, sorry for the format ...  |O
It may bring some more info

SDS1202X-EEDUX1002A
Bandwidth 200MHz50MHz
Analog Channels 2 2
Max Real Time Sampling Rate 1GSa/sec 1GSa/sec
Max Memory Depth 14Mpts 100Kpts
FFT 1Mpts 64Kpts
Waveform Capture rate in normal mode 100.000 50.000
Waveform Capture rate in sequence mode 400.000 NO
Serial Trigger and Decode I²C, SPI, UART/RS232, CAN, LIN (Standard) I²C, UART/RS232 (Optional)
256-level intensity grading and color temperature display yesOnly 256-level intensity grading
Vertical Sensitivity 500 uV ~ 10 V1 mV ~ 10 V 500 uV (20MHz limited)
Timebase1 ns ~ 100 s5 ns ~ 50 s
Sequence functionSupport, minimum dead time low to 2.5 ?s NO
History function Support,  maximum of 80,000 frames can be recorded NO
Enhanced / high resolution mode YES YES
Trigger typeEdge , slope, pulse width, window , Runt, Interval, Dropout, Pattern , video (support HDTV) Edge, pulse width, video (NTSC, PAL, SECAM and PAM-M), rise/fall time, setup and hold, pattern/state
Auto measurement and statisticsSupport 38 Types, 6 Types statistics info: value, mean, min, max, stev, numSupport 28 Types
Pass/Fail (Mask Test)YESNO
InterfaceUSB Host & Device,LAN,AUX (Pass/Fail,Trigger Out)USB Host & Device
Display7 inch (800*480), 8*14 grid display7 inch WVGA, 8*10 grid display
PriceEURO 359 USD 379EURO 414 USD 448

Technical Support

The following users thanked this post: Octane

Offline simone.pignatti

• Frequent Contributor
There was a new separate thread created for the SDS1202X-E oscilloscope yesterday.

Maybe it is better to keep everything under this thread, as this thread was the first thread related to this new oscilloscope from Siglent.
is it possible to merge the two threads together?
Technical Support

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Even the EDUX1000s' decoders fly, but yes that's ~ $448+$150 kopecks (+taxes?), a bit moar than a Siglent.
If "fast decoders" vs. "4x the bandwidth" would be the only difference, I'm pretty sure I would opt for the Siglent, even if prices were the same...
Let's see about that when the first in depth reviews are in. IMHO competing on price instead of quality is a sign of desperation. I think the market for low cost, low quality scopes has been pretty much saturated by the Rigol DS1054Z anyway. It seems there is a lot of interest in scopes which can do more and have fewer (no) bugs. See how many people jumped onto the R&S RTB2004 special offer even though it costs over US $2k.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline simone.pignatti

• Frequent Contributor
Let's see about that when the first in depth reviews are in. IMHO competing on price instead of quality is a sign of desperation. I think the market for low cost, low quality scopes has been pretty much saturated by the Rigol DS1054Z anyway. It seems there is a lot of interest in scopes which can do more and have fewer (no) bugs. See how many people jumped onto the R&S RTB2004 special offer even though it costs over US $2k.

nctnico, I totally agree with you, however the educational market has a big potential for manufacturers who can deliver lot of features for cheap.
when they need to equip a new test lab it may require 10/20/30 scopes and at that point any saved euro or dollar il GOLD.
Technical Support

• Super Contributor
  • !

That! ^^^^+1

Offline simone.pignatti

• Frequent Contributor

That! ^^^^+1

I hear you GeorgeOfTheJungle  :-+ hope you can get your R&S soon!
Technical Support

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor

Please note that I did say that the Siglent looks good not on a "competing by price" basis, but has a significant performance advantage over the Keysight (namely bandwidth). I agree with you there, to the extent that the price/performance ratio, and the level of performance and quality one needs, should drive the purchase decision; certainly not price alone.

On the other hand, the "bugs" topic is vastly inflated by a few users here. (Yes, I know, GW Instek rules...) And I believe that people bought the R&S because the promo deal looked like an offer you can't refuse, if you happen to be in the market for a scope. Let's see how many people value the R&S quality (nice screen, nice knobs and all) at the regular price, or where the market price eventually settles.

The following users thanked this post: simone.pignatti

Offline Villain

• Regular Contributor
they claim its a 1MP fft which it is. they never claimed that it is an 1M bins fft

• Super Contributor
  • !
On the other hand, the "bugs" topic is vastly inflated by a few users here.

The sds1kx serial decoder bug is very real and a show stopper for me. It's great to buy cheapo if it ~ works better or worse as the 1000z (sluggish, but does the job), but not so great if it doesn't at all as that siglent. I've had to return it even though I still like it very much, fast responsive and a gorgeous display, but sadly not what I was looking for as it can't decode properly.

• Super Contributor
Not sure. But easiest solution is to start using this thread again, as it is the oldest.

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
they claim its a 1MP fft which it is. they never claimed that it is an 1M bins fft

Claim is indeed correct, that means my scope has 2MP FFT, despite being speced as 1MP :palm:
But they also list 1GSa/s scopes on Farnell as 250MSa/s so indeed, why not downgrade FFT spec as well :-DD

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
Not sure. But easiest solution is to start using this thread again, as it is the oldest.

Unfortunately it's not the oldest thread which shows up first in the forum's topic list, but the one with the most recent post... And people who have already posted to the other thread will come back to it because it will show up in their "new replies to your posts" list. So I'm afraid that second thread is here to stay -- we will survive that...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 08:15:05 pm by ebastler »

• Super Contributor
I have written a remark in the other thread. Maybe this will help :)

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 07:11:13 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor

Here data sheet pdf until downloadable from Siglent web side.

Thanks. Not sure whether this has been discussed before: How does the scope handle SPI decoding (SCL, MISO, MOSI, CS) with just two inputs?

Offline simone.pignatti

• Frequent Contributor
Technical Support

Offline simone.pignatti

• Frequent Contributor

Thanks. Not sure whether this has been discussed before: How does the scope handle SPI decoding (SCL, MISO, MOSI, CS) with just two inputs?
we are collecting test requirements for running test as soon as the units arrive.
feel free to ask!  :-+
Technical Support

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor

i would assume scl + miso (or mosi) + timeout
unless in the meantime they added the third digital channel

view/download PDF data sheet
http://www.batterfly.com/PDF/Siglent/siglent-sds1202xe-datasheet.pdf

see that UART trigger is 334000 bps max! okay, trigger.. one can get around it
no mention for uart decode max baud rate

besides SPI have a good look at the uart decode, if it can decode 115200 reliably and how high can it be
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 07:34:53 am by JPortici »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf