Author Topic: New Siglent SDS1202X-E oscilloscope based on Xilinx Zynq-7000 SoC architecture  (Read 138665 times)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
AFAIK GW Instek has their developers in Taiwan (which has not been held back by decades of communism and suppression of creative thinking) but because they are kinda Chinese as well they are in an excellent position to leverage cheap Chinese manufacturing.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline norks

• Contributor

There's a reason the "B-brand" manufacturers are able to hit substantially lower pricepoints.  Good QC is expensive.  If brands like Siglent were to adopt the QC methods of the "A-brand" manufacturers, how exactly would you expect them to hit their current price targets? 

Another major factor in hitting those price points is reverse engineering the pioneering efforts in the A-brands' products. Big R&D savings there.  ;)

Offline pascal_swedenTopic starter

• Super Contributor
I wonder where GW-Instek has their designers? Could it be North-Korea? :)

AFAIK GW Instek has their developers in Taiwan (which has not been held back by decades of communism and suppression of creative thinking) but because they are kinda Chinese as well they are in an excellent position to leverage cheap Chinese manufacturing.

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
Anybody found the SDS 1202X-E available for sale in the US?

I would certainly like to see a review; Dave's tear-down was impressive.  This scope, other than channels, could unseat the DS1054Z as THE entry level scope.  200 MHz, free decoding, large screen, less than $400, what's not to like?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.

I would certainly like to see a review; Dave's tear-down was impressive.  This scope, other than channels, could unseat the DS1054Z as THE entry level scope.  200 MHz, free decoding, large screen, less than $400, what's not to like?
Not released yet, see below:

When will the scope actually be available?
To dealers in the next week or two, then with the time to have them shipped some of us should have them before the end of this month.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand

Personally I do not like this: Not large screen. It is 7" 800x480
But my eyes are old.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Wonder if FeDex have coughed up the production 200 MHz model at Dave's dumpster yet ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !

Neither do I, it's a step back.
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor

Neither do I, it's a step back.
Which entry level scope with a larger screen than 7" or a higher resolution than 800x480 is this a step back from?

Offline dimkasta

• Regular Contributor
I was thinking the same thing.
WVGA 800x480 is pretty much standard even on higher end scopes. There are some with 8" screens but the resolution is the same. Not really that a big of an issue.
I could only think of the Micsigs that have 8" 800x600, but they are completely different animals.

• Super Contributor
  • !
Which entry level scope with a larger screen than 7" or a higher resolution than 800x480 is this a step back from?

The SDS1kX (not -E)
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
+1 for small screen
let's see the price first... if it'll be cheap as they say i think many won't care that it has a small screen

Offline dimkasta

• Regular Contributor
The SDS1kX (not -E)

That's 8" with the same 800x480  resolution

It makes some sense if you have eyesight issues. But if you do not, then you just get bigger pixels and less sharpness.
Not really a technological breakthrough.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor

The SDS1kX (not -E)
That's a more expensive machine. I know lots of more expensive machines with better features.

What $400 scope has a better screen?

Offline simone.pignatti

• Frequent Contributor
+1 for small screen
let's see the price first... if it'll be cheap as they say i think many won't care that it has a small screen

Price is going to be Euro 359 + taxes
We should be ready to ship out units on last week of April.
As soon as we get units we will make a video testing it with generators.
Technical Support

• Super Contributor
  • !
It makes some sense if you have eyesight issues.

I do...

But if you do not, then you just get bigger pixels and less sharpness.

By that rule 3" would be even better, a "retina display scope" huh!

BTW, all the rigols have the same screen resolution, but the 1000z's are 7", 2000's are 8", 4000's are 9" and 6000's are 10", JFYI :-)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:57:54 am by GeorgeOfTheJungle »

• Super Contributor
  • !

SDS-1102X    -> 396€ + taxes
SDS-1202X-E -> 359€ + taxes

Offline simone.pignatti

• Frequent Contributor

SDS-1102X    -> 396€ + taxes
SDS-1202X-E -> 359€ + taxes

SDS1102X is Euro 475 now discounted at Euro 403,75 (+ taxes)
This promo will end on July the 1st so the difference will be pretty big
Technical Support

Offline dimkasta

• Regular Contributor
By that rule 3" would be even better, a "retina display scope" huh!

BTW, all the rigols have the same screen resolution, but the 1000z's are 7", 2000's are 8", 4000's are 9" and 6000's are 10", JFYI :-)

You consider 3" a valid screen size ?

What I said was going bigger size without more resolution increases the pixel size and decreases sharpness. That's a fact even if you put the screen on a 6000  series scope.

Anyway, I get your point. And size can be useful if you want to check it from further away too.
But it's entry level we are talking about. You said it yourself above how the market segments screen sizes to fit market segments.
Going 7" is not a step back. It is business as usual.
Everything else looks like a step forward though :)

Now let's see how Rigol responds :)

• Super Contributor
  • !
Everything else looks like a step forward though :)

Seeing Dave's video I'm not so sure, it doesn't decode (*) any faster (have you seen a keysight decoding? that's fast!) and the UI seems to be ~ as responsive as the 1000X, not any better afaics. The screen is smaller and 99.9999% of the time I don't need the extra bandwidth.

(*) Too bad Dave doesn't even try to see if the 1000X's serial decoder bug is there too in the X-Es.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 02:37:13 pm by GeorgeOfTheJungle »

Offline dimkasta

• Regular Contributor
True

Although Keysights cost almost double the money so not really a fair comparison.

I do not really care for that stuff much either. I just feel that it's time to upgrade my 1052.

I am more interested to see the implementation of features like low/pass/band pass filters and FFT

Offline simone.pignatti

• Frequent Contributor
True

Although Keysights cost almost double the money so not really a fair comparison.

I do not really care for that stuff much either. I just feel that it's time to upgrade my 1052.

I am more interested to see the implementation of features like low/pass/band pass filters and FFT
Siglent says FFT has 1 Mpts, very curious to test it  :-+

« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 12:56:50 pm by simone.pignatti »
Technical Support

The following users thanked this post: firepower

• Super Contributor
  • !
True

Even the EDUX1000s' decoders fly, but yes that's ~ $448+$150 kopecks (+taxes?), a bit moar than a Siglent.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 02:51:30 pm by GeorgeOfTheJungle »

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
with 2 GS/s (per chan?). Still if it was 2GS/s shared you'd see a difference in waveform stability when looking at fast signals. Keysight is not in the same instrument class

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
True

Even the EDUX1000s' decoders fly, but yes that's ~ $448+$150 bucks (+taxes?), a bit moar than a Siglent.
That has a 7" screen. Wouldn't you consider it a huge step backwards?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf