Author Topic: More New Siglents  (Read 36183 times)

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
Re: More New Siglents
« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2015, 02:34:43 pm »
SDS2000 there is some funtions not ready.

Considering how long this thing has been on the market it's a pretty poor show when still major functionality is not ready.

Overall for all kinds of use it is sad to say it is still waiting major class FW update.

I guess we'll rather see a 'SDS2000X' than a firmware update that actually fixes the major issues (and does this without breaking something else).

I think even it is better if Siglent open they mouth and honest tell what all bugs they know and what they are doing.  If they open this it is perhaps risk but I believe with opening this "secrets box" they may rescue and win something.  Least customers some trust is perhaps possible rescue, if they honest tell with enough details what is going on.

Yes, that would be great, but considering that so far they stuck to silence and sitting out I won't hold my breath.

Although I agree that being open about bugs and the progress in fixing them might be their last chance to save what overall was a pretty embarrassing show. At the end of the day Siglent's hardware is pretty good, but as far as firmware is concerned they leave the impression of a bunch of amateurs. And frankly, aside from the SDS2000 debacle, the fact that their latest AWG (SDG2000X) apparently still comes with a shitty program like 'EasyWave' doesn't instill any trust that they actually learned their lesson.

Siglent appears to be mostly focused on hardware, software seems to be an afterthought for them. My gut feeling is that this will sooner or later bite them in the backside.

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2015, 01:30:55 am »
As soon as you drive the SDS2000 in the more advanced features it is a big let down. I'm close to needing anger management therapy to restrain myself not to throw it out of the window. Fortunately a replacement oscilloscope is on the way and my SDS2000 can go.
The sooner it arrives the better for your sanity.  :-DD

I'm sure Siglent has been thankful for your feedback but it seems you now have a personal vendetta despite the fact Siglent has given you consideration for your inconveniences and you could then still not hold your tongue.  ::)

It's a shame Siglent has not been much more timely with FW upgrades for the 2000 series and also dissapointing you have not hung in for the long haul, however quite understood IMHO.

The SDS2000 is a good scope, good HW and well spec'ed for the price, getting repeat sales to major international companies (despite some members incessant bad press) and each day is another closer to the major FW update we expect. AFAIK it's closer than we've been lead to expect, however I'm not holding my breath.
We look forward to any further positive contribution you may offer.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2015, 01:31:15 am »
SDS2000 there is some funtions not ready.

Considering how long this thing has been on the market it's a pretty poor show when still major functionality is not ready.

Overall for all kinds of use it is sad to say it is still waiting major class FW update.

I guess we'll rather see a 'SDS2000X' than a firmware update that actually fixes the major issues (and does this without breaking something else).

I think even it is better if Siglent open they mouth and honest tell what all bugs they know and what they are doing.  If they open this it is perhaps risk but I believe with opening this "secrets box" they may rescue and win something.  Least customers some trust is perhaps possible rescue, if they honest tell with enough details what is going on.

Yes, that would be great, but considering that so far they stuck to silence and sitting out I won't hold my breath.

Although I agree that being open about bugs and the progress in fixing them might be their last chance to save what overall was a pretty embarrassing show. At the end of the day Siglent's hardware is pretty good, but as far as firmware is concerned they leave the impression of a bunch of amateurs. And frankly, aside from the SDS2000 debacle, the fact that their latest AWG (SDG2000X) apparently still comes with a shitty program like 'EasyWave' doesn't instill any trust that they actually learned their lesson.

Siglent appears to be mostly focused on hardware, software seems to be an afterthought for them. My gut feeling is that this will sooner or later bite them in the backside.
I'm sure Siglent is very thankful of your ongoing interest in their products, albeit in a negative way.  ::)

Positive contribution from an experienced technician like yourself would be highly respected especially if linked and compared to compeditors features and more so, features that are highly desirable.

Siglent's representation here is high profile and therefore suffers some "tall poppy" syndrome but we must endure this, however all feedback is valuable, more so if positive if that is at all possible of Siglent products from you.  ::)

We all should remind ourselves, without the Asian TE products we'd all be paying many times more for our TE and unless we contribute, quality would be slow to improve.
Now Siglent has strong English language support from North America's input to head office in Shenzhen much will improve in the foreseeable future.
Thanks all for your support.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2015, 07:37:11 am »
I'm sure Siglent is very thankful of your ongoing interest in their products, albeit in a negative way.  ::)

Why should Siglent be thankful in a negative way? That doesn't make any sense. :wtf:

Positive contribution from an experienced technician like yourself would be highly respected especially if linked and compared to compeditors features and more so, features that are highly desirable.

What, again? |O I guess you then missed the part where I mentioned for example that Rigol manages to display the major parameters of both channels of their DG1000z on a small display while on the new SDG2000X you can only see one, despite the larger display. The Rigol UI is also somewhat customizable, which the SDG2000X isn't (according to their manual).

You apparently also missed the part where Steve from Siglent America confirmed that the SDG2000X comes with the same poor selection of built-in waveforms as earlier Siglent AWGs, compared to as mentioned the Rigol comes with 3 times as much.

Considering that you missed that I'm of course no longer surprised that you also missed my point about EasyWave, which is a really poor and fugly piece of software. There are examples out there how to do a waveform editor properly (i.e. the free Tektronix ArbExpress) and which Siglent could have used as a template for coming up with something better, but no, they decided that even their nice new 1GSa/s AWG doesn't deserve better than this abomination of software. Which is silly, really, as the point of an AWG is to be able to create arbitrary (non-standard) signals, but if the toolset is crap then this somewhat defeats the point and makes the whole package a lot less attractive. Siglent doesn't seem to understand that.

We all know that you've some horses in the race but you should really pay a bit more attention to what has been said. :palm:

Siglent's representation here is high profile and therefore suffers some "tall poppy" syndrome but we must endure this, however all feedback is valuable, more so if positive if that is at all possible of Siglent products from you.  ::)

Since as shown above your attention is somewhat lacking it's no surprise that you also missed that I complimented Siglent many times for their hardware, not just in this thread but also in other ones. But just producing good hardware doesn't cut it.

We all should remind ourselves, without the Asian TE products we'd all be paying many times more for our TE

Probably. But being cheap is only good enough as long as your products still do what they're supposed to do. Don't forget that a large part for the big brand price premium is paying for service and support, something neither Siglent nor Rigol can provide on a similar level. Also, some of the money paid for the big brands will be recouped when selling the kit after many years of use, while your cheap SE Asian devices will be pretty much worthless. Plus, some of the specs of the cheap kit are inferior. All that is what the low price is supposed to offset.

But being a SE Asian TE manufacturer is hardly an excuse for throwing buggy products onto the market and then leaving customers hanging.

and unless we contribute, quality would be slow to improve.

Are you joking? How much more can people "contribute" than reporting problems, especially when Siglent keeps stumm about when they will be fixed and what the progress is.

Plus, Siglent's "high profile" (whatever that is) representation in this forum could easily have been used to look at older threads, which would have shown them what has been criticized, and address that. The fact that the new SDG2000X suffers from the same UI deficiencies as other Siglent kit, comes with the same crap EasyWave program and that the new SDS2000X/SDG2000X aren't even available 'til December clearly shows that they missed that chance to improve.

How much more contribution do you expect paying customers to provide?

Now Siglent has strong English language support from North America's input to head office in Shenzhen much will improve in the foreseeable future.

Maybe, maybe not. So far my impression is that it's more of a one-way street, i.e. information flows from China to the US but not much back (or the back-flow is pretty much dismissed by Shenzhen, which wouldn't be at all surprising).

However, this product release very much looks like business as usual.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2015, 07:57:37 am »
also dissapointing you have not hung in for the long haul

He should have been "hanging in", seriously?

Pray tell, if I were to buy a say a SDS3204 (which costs around €1600, so for the moment lets assume that's your price for it) from you, would you accept if I were to pay €1280 only? After all, the SDS2000 isn't working fully as advertized, so it's only fair that when your customer gets an 80% working scope he only pays 80% of the price, and only pays you the rest when Siglent comes out with that great major firmware update that makes everything work fine. After all, you're hanging in for the long haul, too, right?

Or is it only acceptable if it's the customer who the short end of the stick?

each day is another closer to the major FW update we expect.

I'll believe that when I see it, especially since this has been said since the day the SDS2000 hit the streets.

But considering your stakes in it, I can see why you argue that way, while ignoring most of the facts. Seems you believe that sticking your head in the sand and dismissing all criticisms as "vendetta" is the preferred option to acknowledging the issue. Your signature really says it all  ;)

Rabid ... NZ Siglent Distributor
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 09:04:52 am by Wuerstchenhund »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2015, 08:52:41 am »
As soon as you drive the SDS2000 in the more advanced features it is a big let down. I'm close to needing anger management therapy to restrain myself not to throw it out of the window. Fortunately a replacement oscilloscope is on the way and my SDS2000 can go.

I'm sure Siglent has been thankful for your feedback but it seems you now have a personal vendetta despite the fact Siglent has given you consideration for your inconveniences and you could then still not hold your tongue.  ::)

It's a shame Siglent has not been much more timely with FW upgrades for the 2000 series and also dissapointing you have not hung in for the long haul
Vendetta? I think I'm sticking to the facts here!  :box: I need a scope to make money so I already bought a replacement for the SDS2000 as my primary scope last Januari. I demoted my SDS2000 to my backup / bring to customers scope and now I'm replacing it with a different backup scope. Partly because of the short comings (the cursors work so clumsy that it is embarrassing  when a customer looks over my shoulder) but also because it is a significant amount of cash sitting idle on a shelve. And I'll still take a financial hit when I sell my SDS2000 because I'll probably get half of what I paid for it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 09:06:14 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline TrioTest

• Contributor
« Reply #106 on: September 02, 2015, 03:19:49 am »

It's a shame Siglent has not been much more timely with FW upgrades for the 2000 series and also dissapointing you have not hung in for the long haul
Vendetta? I think I'm sticking to the facts here!  :box: I need a scope to make money so I already bought a replacement for the SDS2000 as my primary scope last Januari. I demoted my SDS2000 to my backup / bring to customers scope and now I'm replacing it with a different backup scope. Partly because of the short comings (the cursors work so clumsy that it is embarrassing  when a customer looks over my shoulder) but also because it is a significant amount of cash sitting idle on a shelve. And I'll still take a financial hit when I sell my SDS2000 because I'll probably get half of what I paid for it.

We've heard there's a Beta version of the firmware for the SDS2000 now in the factory. Haven't ben told when it is going to be released. Hopefully soon.

Offline fanOfeeDIY

• Supporter
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2015, 06:29:25 am »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf