Author Topic: New Tektronix TBS2000 oscilloscopes  (Read 79768 times)

Online pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
Re: New Tektronix TBS2000 oscilloscopes
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2016, 05:34:12 pm »
If they would make an update to this model, and give it a deep memory such as 56MPts, then it could be a strong contender. And please Tektronix, don't mess with the design, as the old design was so much better than the new Cheapish look design.

Offline TinkerFan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2016, 06:18:19 pm »
I think the scope looks ok and I like the transparent overlays (waveform measurements etc.). But other than that...
The isolated inputs are probably to protect the scope, which is obviously for the education market, and the circuitry around it from blowing up when someone who has never heard of 'floating groun' before plays with it...
"A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering." - Freeman Dyson

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2016, 06:25:52 pm »
Considering how lame it looks you'd expect them to be pushing every possible feature.
I wouldn't call the scope itself lame. The way it looks is a result of the current test equipment design style (the Panda look). Let's just wait until the datasheet gets completed. Does Tektronix send scopes to Dave for a review?

I didn't mean the physical look, I meant the whole product - piss-poor value and lacking features that have become industry standard
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline linearphase

• Contributor
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2016, 06:30:54 pm »
GOOD isolated inputs are quite expensive. TEK/ FLUKE ( they have the same parent company) do make several isolated input scopes.

Big high resolution screens are very handy for 4 channels and poor eyesight.

The scope supports a snapshot which shows all measurements at the same time, albeit wth less detail and control.

Mike what features are you talking about?

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2016, 06:34:54 pm »
You can buy a DSOX2002A for 1300USD probably. http://www.newark.com/keysight-technologies/dsox2002a/oscilloscope-2-analog-70mhz-1gsps/dp/21T9315
At the basic configutation it has 100k points per channel. Still a nice basic scope for school use.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2016, 06:36:27 pm »
The update rate is 10000 times per second. The controls look lively in the demo. It DOES have variable persistence. See the spec sheet. VP is a DISPLAY mode, not an acquisition mode. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder but the handle is normally flipped down when the scope is in use. Then it matches the case. But seriously do we choose a scope by how it looks?

Guys why do we beat equipment up before we know the facts? The website seems to be barely working I know but give it a chance.

another one shill? (one post)

i have the TPS2014 with the wooping fucking doo 2.5k memory, one whole screen per acquisitions. with lower timebases i have to look out for aliasing, the fft is a joke....

.. still better than the 1054z.
Very low noise floor. Math is accurate. faster responding controls (hah) and the isolated channels have become a must
that's what i expect from a scope that costs three times and looks like it offers a tenth

but enough flaming.
i completely agree with the "tek is for people who spend someone else's money" it costs too much

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2016, 06:36:35 pm »
There is 10,000 waveforms/second capture rate in the user manual. http://www.tek.com/oscilloscope/tbs2000-digital-storage-oscilloscope-manual/tbs2000-series

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2016, 06:41:37 pm »
manual:
NOTE. The maximum sample rate of 1 GS/s is only available when one channel per channel pair is active (channel 1, 2
pair or channel 3, 4 pair).
For two-channel models, only one channel (either channel 1 or 2) can sample at 1 Gs/s. If channel 1 and 2 are both
active, then the maximum sample rate changes to 500 MS/s.
On four-channel models, only two channels can sample at 1 GS/s (one channel from each pair). So if channel 1 or 2, and
channel 3 or 4, are active, the maximum sample rate is available. Turning on a 3rd channel (in either pair) changes the
maximum sampling rate to 500 MS/s.
:-- :--
According to the manual, there is no video trigger. This is crap.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 06:44:28 pm by Hydrawerk »

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2016, 06:50:00 pm »
Rear-panel connectors
1. Aux Out. Sends a positive pulse
(low-to-high transition) when a trigger
occurs, to synchronize other test
equipment to trigger events.
OK, I like that there is a Trig Out.
NOTE. The Aux Out sends out random
pulses when there are no signals connected
to the oscilloscope.
What the hell is this supposed to be??

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2016, 06:59:21 pm »
According to the manual, there is no video trigger. This is crap.

You can use the external trigger out of a DS154Z for video trigger.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2016, 07:02:24 pm »
Well, why not, there was something similar at DSOX2002A till 2012 or so.

Offline linearphase

• Contributor
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2016, 07:05:45 pm »
Not a shill and I make no effort to hide the fact that I was a TEK employee from 1980 until 2011. I simply forgot my user name and had to reregister to log in.

I do not sell or represent in any way any test equipment nor am I compensated for my opinions.

I retired years ago. I do have some bias towards TEK but can say most of that went away when I retired. I had contact wth about 30000 customers during that period and so I know a fair amount about both TEK bias and false assumptions. I also know that many users have limited knowledge about how test equipment works or does not.

Now I own lots of old TEK equipment I have restored and also a Rigol 10xxZ model. I can say it has lots of features for the buck and works nice. It is a very good hobbiest scope. But it is does have compromises for a professional user.

I get it that everyone wants long record length, though I can tell you that you should never use more than what is necessary. Explanation is available for the asking...

This new model is a definite improvement in many areas but I understand why a hobbiest can not afford it. That is why I have the Rigol!
It does appear to be equal to or better than the "professional" competition.

In 31 years I sold fewer than 50 video triggers. In the last ten years 0!
But if you need video trigger, then just chose annother scope.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2016, 07:10:46 pm »
Remotely controlling the oscilloscope from a Web browser
(LXI)
The oscilloscope has a built-in LXI-compliant browser interface. The Web browser shows instrument status, configuration,
and controls with which to remotely control the oscilloscope and view waveforms. You can connect to the oscilloscope Web
page by simply entering the oscilloscope’s IP address in the address bar of a Web browser.
Well, this is nice. I think that Rigol, Siglent or Owon do not have this feature. At DSOX2002A you have to buy an expensive plug-in LAN module.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2016, 07:14:47 pm »
TBS2000 is probably the first scope without a video trigger in last 25 years or so. Even that basic TDS210 has a video trigger.
On the other hand, TBS2000 can be nice for basic school use.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2016, 07:22:30 pm »
Some big pictures.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2016, 07:26:57 pm »
Remotely controlling the oscilloscope from a Web browser
(LXI)
The oscilloscope has a built-in LXI-compliant browser interface. The Web browser shows instrument status, configuration,
and controls with which to remotely control the oscilloscope and view waveforms. You can connect to the oscilloscope Web
page by simply entering the oscilloscope’s IP address in the address bar of a Web browser.
Well, this is nice. I think that Rigol, Siglent or Owon do not have this feature. At DSOX2002A you have to buy an expensive plug-in LAN module.
Is this how Tek normally do LAN remote scope control ?
Siglent's use the EasyScope interface and NIVISA software to provide the LAN and USB connection drivers.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2016, 07:27:57 pm »
Not a shill
sorry for that :) but you know.. the timing.. the content..

The following users thanked this post: linearphase

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2016, 07:57:36 pm »
I don't know why people get so wound up about the TBS2000. At the end of the day, it looks like a decent scope when considering that this was obviously developed for the education market. Not surprising when the education market is one of Tek's largest markets, so they have to come up with something that their customers in the edu space (which won't necessarily be up to date with what's available on the T&M market) will like.

It's clearly not aimed at the average hobbyist.

And seriously, considering that Tek never really had a good hand at designing digital scopes (unlike their analog scopes, Tek's DSOs were almost all average at best and in general a pain to use), this is probably as good as it gets.  :-+
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 08:06:28 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2016, 08:04:18 pm »
Is this how Tek normally do LAN remote scope control ?

This is how pretty much all big brands do LAN remote scope control.

Siglent's use the EasyScope interface and NIVISA software to provide the LAN and USB connection drivers.

Of course they do, because to provide a local webserver and interactive controls requires more processing resources than are available in the typical bottom-of-the-barrel scope. Which at the end of the day are made for a low price point.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2016, 08:08:59 pm »
TBS2000 is probably the first scope without a video trigger in last 25 years or so. Even that basic TDS210 has a video trigger.
Why would you want video trigger? Who even uses analogue video signals nowadays? Besides I think you can still do video triggering if the trigger system supports triggering on events.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: JPortici, linearphase

Offline linearphase

• Contributor
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2016, 08:16:55 pm »
The TBS200O was clearly developed developed for the education market. It is not a large market though, very small indeed in terms of number of dollars. I think the reason that people show interest is that many people seek the better build quality and support you get from a big company. Arguably even the products that TEK does that are ODM typically have numerous safety and performance mods that are unique to them.

If you would like this scope to be better tailored to the things that you value then I suggest you either call or email them or talk to your local REP and make your wishes known.

It can be seriously argued that TEK never made good digital scopes. The last independent number I saw indicate that TEK had about 50% of the worldwide digital scope market. If that still holds true they sell as many scopes as all other manufacturers put together.
While this does not prove they make the best scopes it does mean that Majority of people who believe they do!

Offline linearphase

• Contributor
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2016, 08:59:37 pm »

[/quote]
[/quote]
While many scopes did offer that features in a VERY basic form few had real video trigger where you could select a specific line and field. Even then none were are good as dedicated video analyzers.

For a simple video trigger you should be able to trigger on the negative going sync pulse using pulse width trigger. I forget how wide that is, maybe 3.5uS or so. Then just store that as set up and you are good to go.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2016, 09:26:32 pm »
This comparison is crap.
In fact Rigol DS2000A has many trigger types, like Edge Trigger, Pulse Trigger, Runt Trigger, Windows Trigger (Option), Nth Edge Trigger (Option), Slope Trigger, Video Trigger (HDTV Option), Pattern Trigger, Delay Trigger (Option), TimeOut Trigger (Option), Duration Trigger (Option), Setup/Hold Trigger, RS232/UART Trigger, I2C Trigger, SPI Trigger, CAN Trigger (Option) and USB Trigger (Option).

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2016, 09:33:30 pm »
It is good that TBS2000 has that improved help and teaching stuff, but none of them were needed at my university.
At the basic courses there were scopes like HP 54600 series, some TDS1000 or TDS2000. Nowadays some Keysight DSOX2000A and Tek TBS1000B are slowly being bought and introduced to lessons.

Online pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2016, 09:35:21 pm »
If someone can name one new feature in the new TBS2000 oscilloscope which wasn't already present in all entry-level DSO scopes for the past 3-5 years?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf