Author Topic: New test equipment from Rigol release.  (Read 24699 times)

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
Re: New test equipment from Rigol release.
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2015, 03:12:12 am »
Could be a new video for Dave.  Instead of comparing products for Volts, Amps, and Ohms accuracy he could submit requests for product firmware and other support, and then compare responses for timeliness :)

That's a winner

Online Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2015, 03:14:20 am »
Could be a new video for Dave.  Instead of comparing products for Volts, Amps, and Ohms accuracy he could submit requests for product firmware and other support, and then compare responses for timeliness :)

That's a winner

"Hi, I've just hit the send button and look at this dumbass response."

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2015, 03:17:09 am »

That's a winner

"Hi, I've just hit the send button and look at this dumbass response."

Do it like a contest, time to reply and solve. Like the Top Gear speed test.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2015, 03:28:23 am »
I've never waited longer than 5 minutes, in my 15+ requests.

:-DD

Maybe you should check your spam filters/email provider. The emails that contain the firmware links are sent automatically by a script.
Or check how your email supplier filters. Huge numbers of people have all mail from Chinese locations filtered from their incoming email stream, and most don't even realise it.

Offline Joao CarvalhoTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2015, 08:42:57 am »
You raised an important question about open source/open hardware tools, i would buy Open Source/open hardware test gear if the specs were interesting even if the price was a bit higher.  If the specs were good and if the architecture were modular in a way that each part could be upgraded individually it could be a winner.

Best regards,
João Carvalho

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2015, 07:08:02 am »
You raised an important question about open source/open hardware tools, i would buy Open Source/open hardware test gear if the specs were interesting even if the price was a bit higher.  If the specs were good and if the architecture were modular in a way that each part could be upgraded individually it could be a winner.

Best regards,
João Carvalho

I agree!

This stuff is quite ignored in the OSHW movement, unfortunately. There's small steps, but not a big project like a 50-100MHz scope.

https://lwn.net/Articles/515569/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/welecw2000a/ <- Firmware replacement for scope!
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/oshw/open-source-oscilloscope/
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 07:57:27 am by Circuiteromalaguito »

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2015, 07:43:16 am »

Best regards,
João Carvalho

I agree!

This stuff is quite ignored in the OSHW movement, unfortunately.

There has to be a proven market for that sort of thing. Not impossible but very improbable. The hobbyist market is not massive. 

A few customizable buttons, math functions and splash/help screens will cover most needs. More likely would be options like that (set up via usb). It would be super useful just to set up your favorite functions on one screen (to reduce menu navigation). 

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2015, 08:57:40 am »

Best regards,
João Carvalho

I agree!

This stuff is quite ignored in the OSHW movement, unfortunately.

There has to be a proven market for that sort of thing. Not impossible but very improbable. The hobbyist market is not massive. 

A few customizable buttons, math functions and splash/help screens will cover most needs. More likely would be options like that (set up via usb). It would be super useful just to set up your favorite functions on one screen (to reduce menu navigation).

A serious crowdfunding campaign promoted by important pro-oshw organizations would make it possible. There's cheap components out there used by the Chinese and there's one Open Source firmware that can be a good start.

No doubt it can be a titanic task, but it would be a very disruptive breakthrough for the OSHW movement.

The same about OSHW was said about FOSS, and these days it's gaining an extremely exponential market penetration. There's need for some important niches to be covered, but there's software evolving on most of them, despite many of these projects aren't enough sponsored and lack of a robust organization.

This could be even positive for the market, it could rise competition too.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2015, 10:38:51 am »
The same about OSHW was said about FOSS

No, it wasn't, and it's said about OSH for a reason.

The thing is that literally anyone who wants to and who has access to some computer can start writing software (maybe not necessarily good or particularly useful software, but still). The costs of entry are very low (computers are cheap and older ones can often even be had for free, and there are tons of tools and languages available), plus one can do that literally anywhere if you use a laptop.

Hardware is different. The necessary knowledge level is much higher (just because someone can built stuff using existing components doesn't mean he can actually design new components), it requires infrastructure (a lab) which limits very much where you can do that, and it requires noticeable investments in the form of tools and test equipment. Of course you can do some stuff in simulations but simulations are very limited (and often don't reflect real-life behavior accurately enough), and require software that's generally pretty costly as well. At some point you have to build prototypes (i.e. more $$$). If you got something wrong in your hardware design you can't just write a simple patch, best case is you have to re-work every produced unit, and worst case you can scrap them all and produce new.

I lost count of how many OSH projects people came up with over the years that went no-where, mostly for the reasons above.

In addition there is the issue that people generally expect their test equipment to be reliable, which isn't necessarily a feature of open source development models.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:01:53 am by Wuerstchenhund »

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2015, 03:18:55 am »
I've never waited longer than 5 minutes, in my 15+ requests.

:-DD

Maybe you should check your spam filters/email provider. The emails that contain the firmware links are sent automatically by a script.

They've never even tried to send me an email. And I've requested firmware several times now. Ended up digging a link out of a thread.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2015, 01:44:00 am »
Ok, so I was talking with a Rigol support engineer today.  Rigol has just recently automated firmware request page, hence why some got pretty much instant results, and all the rest of us have been pissed off the past few years.

Anyhow, FYI.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2015, 01:45:37 am »
Ok, so I was talking with a Rigol support engineer today.  Rigol has just recently automated firmware request page, hence why some got pretty much instant results, and all the rest of us have been pissed off the past few years.

Anyhow, FYI.

I tried after people started raving on about instant firmware.. and nothing. So much for that.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2015, 01:47:23 am »
I tried after people started raving on about instant firmware.. and nothing. So much for that.

LMAO, sigh, they never cease to disappoint.   :palm:

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2015, 03:15:46 am »

Anyhow, FYI.

ahh, interesting.

Yeah, as I mentioned I have always received an email with a firmware link in under 5 minutes. However, I have only owned Rigol products since December of last year.

I do run my own DNS and mail servers, so I have more control over my email receipt and filtering--maybe this is why I receive the links so quickly. I believed it to be automated due ton the quick response, and the fact that I have received near immediate responses at all hours of the day and night.

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2015, 05:35:10 am »
FWIW: I just (20 minutes ago) filled in the online form requesting the latest firmware for my DS4k scope, 5 minutes later I had the link to it in my inbox.

After submitting the request you'll get the following:
Thank You for requesting a firmware update. For most models the latest version will be automatically emailed to you shortly. For some models, we will manually determine the best firmware based on your serial number and get back to you as soon as possible.

I've just requested the latest fimrware for my DG4k as well, will see if that works too.
EDIT: Yep, received that too within minutes.

I DID fill in all the required fields and I DID enter model, serial and firmware version in the text box. Don't know if it matters....
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 05:43:58 am by H.O »

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2015, 05:57:35 am »
I've just requested the latest fimrware for my DG4k as well, will see if that works too.
EDIT: Yep, received that too within minutes.

I DID fill in all the required fields and I DID enter model, serial and firmware version in the text box. Don't know if it matters....

Same here. I requested the latest firmware for my DS1054Z at 8:41 filling all fields in the web form, and I received an email reply back with the link to the update at 8:53.  :-+

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2015, 06:54:29 am »
Yes, I have always entered my model, serial, and current firmware versions (each on a separate line, as requested). I'm not sure if they actually parse/check this data though, as I have entered (for example) "Current Firmware: a.b.c" and still got the email within minutes.

All of that said, this "request firmware" rigmarole is bizarre and non-professional (IMHO).

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2015, 11:54:37 am »
Well, I just tried for a third time.. Now I'm watching the mail logs for the complete lack of attempt to send an email to the address I gave them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf