Author Topic: New uCurrent offset way out of spec (-6mV!)  (Read 6699 times)

Offline InsatmanTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: New uCurrent offset way out of spec (-6mV!)
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 12:03:54 am »
I am confused or missed something. The uCurrent Gold has a manufacturing flaw that some customers have received. Is there no warranty? The customer needs to fix the problem him/herself? I must have missed something.

Hi..original author of the post here...  I have written Dave four emails on this subject with ZERO response.   When the first person responded with a simular problem Dave did PM us, telling us he verified the problem and later told us about the op-amp and that he would post a video.  No offer of replacement or repair was given at that time. 

In the video he says something like "if you have one of these contact me and we'll work something out".   After that I PM'd Dave again and got NO response.   Another member also PM'd him and sent me a copy.   NO response to our shared PM thread. 

In total I have emailed Dave four times and PM'd him about four additional times asking what he proposed to do.   I got no response.   I don't have a problem with the fact that a fault occurred.  These things happen in tech.  What upsets me is the lack of response from Dave.   His organization was quick to process my order, but is completely unresponsive when I point out a problem, other than to issue a video describing the problem and issuing a kinda weak empty promise at the end of "working something out".   If Dave has simply written me and asked if I would mind replacing the IC myself, I would not have felt the need to write this post.   Just some response indicating that he stands behind his product. 

I can only conclude that customer service on this product is non-existent other than verifying the problem and proposing how it can be repaired by the user.   The promise of "we'll work something out" appears to be empty...although I hope to be pleasantly surprised by Dave I'm not hold my breath.   I went ahead and repaired my unit by replacement of the op-amp.   

The product itself is decent....I had assumed that Dave would be responsive to his customers....I was wrong...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 12:07:08 am by Insatman »
Retired Pulsed Power Engineer/Physicist...now I just dabble in electronics

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, lapse

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 12:12:36 am »
With the multimeter now/shortly to be released, maybe a eevblogstore or support@eevblog email address is deserved.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2018, 12:39:20 am »
With the multimeter now/shortly to be released, maybe a eevblogstore or support@eevblog email address is deserved.

Provided that it is actually responded too, that would be a great step in the right direction.   

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2018, 03:42:08 am »
I am confused or missed something. The uCurrent Gold has a manufacturing flaw that some customers have received. Is there no warranty? The customer needs to fix the problem him/herself? I must have missed something.

Hi..original author of the post here...  I have written Dave four emails on this subject with ZERO response.   When the first person responded with a simular problem Dave did PM us, telling us he verified the problem and later told us about the op-amp and that he would post a video.  No offer of replacement or repair was given at that time. 

In the video he says something like "if you have one of these contact me and we'll work something out".   After that I PM'd Dave again and got NO response.   Another member also PM'd him and sent me a copy.   NO response to our shared PM thread. 

In total I have emailed Dave four times and PM'd him about four additional times asking what he proposed to do.   I got no response.   I don't have a problem with the fact that a fault occurred.  These things happen in tech.  What upsets me is the lack of response from Dave.   His organization was quick to process my order, but is completely unresponsive when I point out a problem, other than to issue a video describing the problem and issuing a kinda weak empty promise at the end of "working something out".   If Dave has simply written me and asked if I would mind replacing the IC myself, I would not have felt the need to write this post.   Just some response indicating that he stands behind his product. 

I can only conclude that customer service on this product is non-existent other than verifying the problem and proposing how it can be repaired by the user.   The promise of "we'll work something out" appears to be empty...although I hope to be pleasantly surprised by Dave I'm not hold my breath.   I went ahead and repaired my unit by replacement of the op-amp.   

The product itself is decent....I had assumed that Dave would be responsive to his customers....I was wrong...

Well...I am pleasantly surprised after all as Dave just responded to one of my emails this morning.   It took awhile but...Apparently I was proven wrong about being wrong...lol...

I won't quote his email but he did offer to make things right.   I stand corrected on this matter. 

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2018, 06:06:46 am »
Well...I am pleasantly surprised after all as Dave just responded to one of my emails this morning.   It took awhile but...Apparently I was proven wrong about being wrong...lol...

I won't quote his email but he did offer to make things right.   I stand corrected on this matter.
There are ways to get Dave's attention when it's important to do so and I was about to use this quite straightforward trick until I read this last post.

Anyways, use the 'Report to Moderator' button and add a quick comment for Dave to contact the member.
Often he won't see it but when Simon does he'll let Dave know.
Dave's got a lot going on.............
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2018, 07:51:08 am »
I think the problem is still being investigated to find a robust solution. Dave did say to get in touch if you have one and he'd sort it out.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2018, 08:08:00 am »
For those curious about why I didn't respond to initial emails about this, there are two reasons:
a) I get a lot of email
but more to the point
b) I get a lot of email about the uCurrent and how to use it etc, and in almost every case it's people having no idea how to use it, their setup is wrong, etc etc. Genuine hardware faults are incredibly rare.
and
c) It takes a lot of time to investigate and actually respond to emails like this, so unless it's a one-liner response I often leave it unread to deal with later. I know this sounds shitty, but I have a finite number of hours in my life. And I'm not going to respond with "I'm working on it" if I'm not actually working on it.

So when I see an email about an offset problem like this, for very genuine reasons I didn't think it could possibly be the hardware, it was most likely yet another user setup problem that will take ages to solve. Then when I actually tested a current batch one, it tested fine, so what was I to do right away?
It's only when I saw the 2nd report on the forum that I really jumped on it and knew something was up and investigated straight away.
This of course turned out to be a very rare and obscure fault that was not immediately obvious. Obvious with hindsight of course.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:09:42 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf