Author Topic: O! NO!!!! NOT ANOTHER DSO Yep! but I do need advice  (Read 1696 times)

Offline MrsRTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
O! NO!!!! NOT ANOTHER DSO Yep! but I do need advice
« on: May 06, 2013, 09:53:40 pm »
I am replacing my unused 2000 Series RIGOL with a new 2000  Series Rigol.
Now the questions and a bit of a rant >:D

1 why is the fastest time base so slow on the 72 and 100meg only 5ns my old 25MHz scope has the same time base. The ATTEN 100MHz is 2.5ns and it's a Heap of poop!

2 There charging $300 for a bit of software plus of cause the trigger update.
If it entailed a hardware add on OK! but all the hardware is there...... What a rip off.

OK! HELP.
the Analog times on both are fast enough
So what do I do buy the 72MHz and add extra memory
or
buy the 100 meg Scope and save up to activate the extended memory plus Trigger etc.

THANKS FOR READING THIS POST

Rachael :-+

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Re: O! NO!!!! NOT ANOTHER DSO Yep! but I do need advice
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 05:14:34 pm »
Hi Rachael

1 why is the fastest time base so slow on the 72 and 100meg only 5ns my old 25MHz scope has the same time base. The ATTEN 100MHz is 2.5ns and it's a Heap of poop!

Perhaps because it was introduced as a competitor to the Agilent X-2000 series (which has the same horizontal scales for it's 70 / 100 / 200MHz models).

2 There charging $300 for a bit of software plus of cause the trigger update.
If it entailed a hardware add on OK! but all the hardware is there...... What a rip off.

You're not even paying for a bit of software - the code is already in the firmware - you're just buying a key (basically a number)  ;D  But compare Rigol's prices to, for example, Agilent's - and they aren't too terrible.

OK! HELP.
the Analog times on both are fast enough
So what do I do buy the 72MHz and add extra memory
or
buy the 100 meg Scope and save up to activate the extended memory plus Trigger etc.

Well, the DSO comes with a free 36 hour trial period of all the options (memory, triggers, etc) - and the current version of the firmware has a bug which lets you keep resetting the trial period - so, for now anyway, you don't really need to pay to activate anything  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf